PDA

View Full Version : A great time to be a Sox fan

oeo
05-11-2006, 05:03 PM
A column in today's Times in NW Indiana which praises everything White Sox and criticizes everything Flubs. There's something you don't see often.

Link (http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/05/11/sports/sports_columnists/7273b513187758ef8625716a00772064.txt)

Berkules
05-11-2006, 05:10 PM
whoever said it first was and is completely correct;
"White Sox universe; infinite and growing!"

(I think that's how it goes...)

MERPER
05-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Great article and he's right... I ignored the entire Cubs part cuz I just don't care about them anymore... It is arguably the greatest time EVER to be a White Sox fan.... Everyday I wake up with the feeling that we are going to win that night's game, ala the Chicago Bulls of the 90's... I walk around with an extra spring to my step and my head held higher... I always wear something visible of the White Sox and even being at the University of Missouri surrounded by Cardinals fans I have seen more Sox gear among those from Chicago...

05-11-2006, 05:20 PM
We are known as Whiners?

oeo
05-11-2006, 05:21 PM
We are known as Whiners?

Yeah, I didn't understand that either. :?:

Whatever.

tebman
05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Nice piece. The Calumet Region has historically been White Sox country (remember Ralphie's Old Man in "A Christmas Story" fretting over the Sox trading Bullfrog), and it's appropriate that the Hammond Times reflects that.

In any case, he's right on the money. We really have nothing to complain about, which is rarefied air for those of us who've been dealing with White Sox angst for decades (or generations). This really is a great time to be a Sox fan. :thumbsup:

ode to veeck
05-11-2006, 05:53 PM
We're the king of the world and the Flubs are reduced to stopping Barry Bonds --I love it

Baby Fisk
05-11-2006, 05:59 PM
We are known as Whiners?
Grumblers seems more appropriate (always finding something to grumble about, being the usual Sox fan stereotype).

EDIT: He uses the term "pantsing." Shouldn't he have used "depantsing?"

Berkules
05-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Grumblers seems more appropriate (always finding something to grumble about, being the usual Sox fan stereotype).
I think any fan, having had to deal with the Indians in the 90s then the Twins in the early 00s (which I believe are called aughts) would be a bit grumbly...but I agree "whiners" is just a bit much. I'm a Sac Kings fan- we're bigger whiners.

digdagdug23
05-11-2006, 06:14 PM
See, now I always saw myself as disgruntled and irritated, but I have NEVER whined about the Sox, that is reserved for the North side of town.

Do we have surly posters on this board? Okay, ya maybe UAG.........:wink:

It feels so good, but after the Bears have dissappointed me so, does anyone else feel like the other shoe is going to drop? Well, I guess I felt that way all last season, too, so what do I know??? Being a Chicago fan is so precarious sometimes, it is hard to know when it is safe to come in off the ledge.....

Berkules
05-11-2006, 07:17 PM
See, now I always saw myself as disgruntled and irritated, but I have NEVER whined about the Sox, that is reserved for the North side of town.

Do we have surly posters on this board? Okay, ya maybe UAG.........:wink:

It feels so good, but after the Bears have dissappointed me so, does anyone else feel like the other shoe is going to drop? Well, I guess I felt that way all last season, too, so what do I know??? Being a Chicago fan is so precarious sometimes, it is hard to know when it is safe to come in off the ledge.....

Last year's regular season was anything but disappointing for the bears. The playoffs, that's a different story- we're never gonna win a playoff game if we can't score more than two touchdowns (on offense). I think it may be time to come down. Baby Bulls in the playoffs two years in a row and the Bears MUST be favored to win the NFC North- Grossman should be healthy. C'mon down!

SoxSpeed22
05-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Last year's regular season was anything but disappointing for the bears. The playoffs, that's a different story- we're never gonna win a playoff game if we can't score more than two touchdowns (on offense).Or in the case of the playoffs, give up 29 points on 434 offensive yards.
Off topic, in the NFC Championship, Seattle used a nice little concept called "common sense" to stop Carolina. They actually guard Carolina's only receiving threat, therefore, he catches the ball less.

chisoxfanatic
05-11-2006, 10:02 PM
It is arguably the greatest time EVER to be a White Sox fan.... Everyday I wake up with the feeling that we are going to win that night's game, ala the Chicago Bulls of the 90's.

Oh, it is definitely, since we now have a Championship to back up everything we say! It's a great thing knowing we'll be in every ball game (and win the vast majority of them as well). This team is SO scrappy, I just don't see them getting blown out very much.

THANK YOU, Kenny Williams!

TDog
05-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Nice piece. The Calumet Region has historically been White Sox country (remember Ralphie's Old Man in "A Christmas Story" fretting over the Sox trading Bullfrog), and it's appropriate that the Hammond Times reflects that.

In any case, he's right on the money. We really have nothing to complain about, which is rarefied air for those of us who've been dealing with White Sox angst for decades (or generations). This really is a great time to be a Sox fan. :thumbsup:

Jean Shepherd was a Sox fan, anyway. And he grew up pre-television.

I wonder if younger Sox fans can appreciate just how special the current White Sox success is.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Which would be just fine with Sox fans, who have waited their lifetimes for their team to be king of Chicago.

That time is now, and, for them, that must be a beautiful thing.

Yeah baby