PDA

View Full Version : Big Hurt - Hurt Again

Jaffar
05-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Thomas came up lame after an awkward-looking slide into third base on Bobby Kielty's RBI double in the eighth. The veteran slugger missed most of the past two seasons after injuring his left ankle, and appeared to be favoring that leg as he walked off under his own steam.

Linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060511&content_id=1448652&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak)

Not sure if it's anything serious but it can't be good for the big man. I hope it's not serious though as I am going to the game on the 22nd and was hoping to see him again.

StockdaleForVeep
05-11-2006, 04:58 PM
i give him props for bein a big guy with a bad ankle and still sliding rather than coppin out

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Ankle OK. Quad, not OK.

RKMeibalane
05-11-2006, 08:18 PM
It's too bad that it happened now, as it looked like he was finally starting to hit like his old self. Macha is an idiot for leaving him in during a blowout, but I'd expect nothing less from a Billy Beane disciple. I'm waiting for the FOBB to defend their false god and his minions for this lastest blunder.

What makes Frank's injury even worse is that Eric Chavez has been out with food poisoning, and there has been speculation that he may not be well enough to play this weekend. We'll see how things play out.

Taliesinrk
05-12-2006, 12:44 AM
does anyone have any word on how serious this is yet? this is truly upsetting..

patbooyah
05-12-2006, 12:46 AM
how are we going to know if sox fans boo Thomas next week if he isn't there?

HotelWhiteSox
05-12-2006, 12:47 AM
**** , I had a bad feeling this would happen even though I got those Sox/A's tickets early in the year. Similar to Sosa, I bet there will be some conspiracies or theories about the timing in the media

getonbckthr
05-12-2006, 12:50 AM
For all the crap he had to say I honestly can say "He gone" and to quote Kenny "he's not our problem anymore good riddance."

Edit: However I truly feel bad for everyone who bought tickets to see the Skirt return to Chicago.

TomParrish79
05-12-2006, 12:57 AM
lets hope its nothing serious and he only misses a few games

SoxFanPrope
05-12-2006, 01:07 AM
Edit: However I truly feel bad for everyone who bought tickets to see the Skirt return to Chicago.

I really don't want to get into a thread like this but Skirt? Come on.....:?:

getonbckthr
05-12-2006, 01:21 AM

I really don't want to get into a thread like this but Skirt? Come on.....:?:
I was always a huge Thomas fan UNTIL he chose to rip apart the franchise. The same franchise that paid him a ton to do nothing over the last few years. The same franchise that gave him his hand picked Albert Belle instead of Barry Bonds. Most importantly the franchise that gave him a ring.

getonbckthr
05-12-2006, 01:24 AM
my computer sucks mods please delete another one of my reposts.

tromcoe
05-12-2006, 02:06 AM
I am going to sound like an idiot here but what exactly is a 'Quad' injury?

getonbckthr
05-12-2006, 02:30 AM
I am going to sound like an idiot here but what exactly is a 'Quad' injury?
Potentially one of the most painful injuries you can have. Its located above your knee, basically the front hammy.

Jurr
05-12-2006, 06:45 AM
Yup...the biggest muscle in your body. Did they say it was a strain? I couldn't see that man tearing a quad, though he did tear his damn TRICEPS a few years ago. I didn't think that was possible!

ilsox7
05-12-2006, 06:57 AM
I was always a huge Thomas fan UNTIL he chose to rip apart the franchise. The same franchise that paid him a ton to do nothing over the last few years. The same franchise that gave him his hand picked Albert Belle instead of Barry Bonds. Most importantly the franchise that gave him a ring.

For starters, I am not the biggest Frank fan out there for probably some of the same reasons you are not. However, I think it is entirely inappropriate to call him the "skirt."

Frank was the best hitter in baseball for a decade. And he did that playing for the White Sox. Also, your point about him being paid for doing nothing is quite stupid. Frank and the White Sox signed a contract. Both parties knew there was an inherent risk in signing such a contract. You cannot fault Frank for being hurt and still collecting on a contract. Just like you cannot fault the Sox for underpaying certain players currently on the roster.

Finally, the franchise did not "give" Frank a ring. The franchise EARNED that ring. And Frank was a part of that. Not only last year, but over the years.

Dislike the man for his attitude or private incidents, but you need to be able to separate his baseball accomplishments from his off the field activity.

Chicken Dinner
05-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Dislike the man for his attitude or private incidents, but you need to be able to separate his baseball accomplishments from his off the field activity.

Like Pete Rose, Barry Bonds, and Jason Giambi?

RKMeibalane
05-12-2006, 09:49 AM

You can't compare Frank's whining to what those three did. If Bonds and Giambi are ever caught- and I think Bonds will be- they will face a lifetime ban from baseball. Nothing Frank has done warrants that kind of punishment, not even close.

Finally, I think I need to get something off my chest.

Frank Thomas carried the Chicago White Sox on his back for fifteen years. He wasn't able to do it last season because he was injured, and so his teammates carried him across the finish line, and he finally got the WS ring he deserved. That's what being part of a team is all about. It saddens me that I have explain that to people who call themselves White Sox fans, but it's obvious there are some people who just don't get it.

RKMeibalane
05-12-2006, 09:53 AM

One more thing. I wouldn't say that Frank "did nothing the last few years."

2003: Frank was the Sox most productive offensive player, turning in 42 HR, 105 RBIs, and 100+ BBs.

2004: Frank had an excellent first half, so much so that people were mentioning him as an MVP candidate when he broke his foot, and missed the rest of the season.

2005: In just over 100 at-bats, Frank cranked out 12 HR and 26 RBIs, helping the Sox stay in front of Cleveland. Who knows what might have happened had Frank not contributed during the middle of the season? It's possible that Cleveland overtakes the Sox and wins the divison if he's not around in June and July.

ondafarm
05-12-2006, 09:56 AM

No comparison at all here. Pete Rose gambled on several sports and on baseball, while both a player and a manager. The fact that he evidently never gambled against the Reds while managing them is at most a mitigating factor. Every ball player knows you don't do anything with gamblers.

Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi took performance enhancing drugs only to affect their on field activities. It isn't like their drug programs were to improve their social life, which I might be quicker to forgive.

As Questec has amply shown, Frank Thomas was absolutely justified in his running battle with the umpires. He has a great eye and is a better judge of pitches than almost all umpires. Frank never went out to destroy the White Sox franchise. He felt wronged and occasionally, he was.

D. TODD
05-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Yup...the biggest muscle in your body. Did they say it was a strain? I couldn't see that man tearing a quad, though he did tear his damn TRICEPS a few years ago. I didn't think that was possible! I thought the glutius maximus (ass) was the biggest muscle in the body. You don't hear of many "ass" strains in baseball though.:?:

ilsox7
05-12-2006, 10:50 AM
[/i]

No comparison at all here. Pete Rose gambled on several sports and on baseball, while both a player and a manager. The fact that he evidently never gambled against the Reds while managing them is at most a mitigating factor. Every ball player knows you don't do anything with gamblers.

Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi took performance enhancing drugs only to affect their on field activities. It isn't like their drug programs were to improve their social life, which I might be quicker to forgive.

As Questec has amply shown, Frank Thomas was absolutely justified in his running battle with the umpires. He has a great eye and is a better judge of pitches than almost all umpires. Frank never went out to destroy the White Sox franchise. He felt wronged and occasionally, he was.

Thanks. Saved me a couple paragraphs of writing.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Interesting notation in the print edition of The Sporting News (NFL Draft Picks On Cover)

It says scouts are saying Thomas is 'uppercutting' pitches in an effort to hit home runs. They said he did it last year with the Sox because he simply can't run the bases very well and is trying to avoid doing so by hitting home runs.

Lip

Uncle_Patrick
05-12-2006, 11:27 AM
I thought the glutius maximus (ass) was the biggest muscle in the body. You don't hear of many "ass" strains in baseball though.:?:

Aramis Ramirez strained his glut muscle earlier this year. I think it was the first time I ever heard of someone doing that.

White Sox Randy
05-12-2006, 11:28 AM
why would the Sox sign Jim Thome ? And give him all that money ?

voodoochile
05-12-2006, 11:35 AM
why would the Sox sign Jim Thome ? And give him all that money ?

Technically they traded for him and are currently paying him less than he signed for due to the money thrown in to the trade.

voodoochile
05-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Interesting notation in the print edition of The Sporting News (NFL Draft Picks On Cover)

It says scouts are saying Thomas is 'uppercutting' pitches in an effort to hit home runs. They said he did it last year with the Sox because he simply can't run the bases very well and is trying to avoid doing so by hitting home runs.

Lip

I noticed this last year, Lip. He definitely had more of a HR swing than in years past. Frank has even talked about it mentioning that when he is at bat he is "looking to do damage" and not settle for the smaller hits or walks as much.

And of course it has been widely reported he wants to get to 500 HR to ensure his HOF induction.

Jaffar
05-12-2006, 11:48 AM
There is an MLB article on the A's page and they are really downplaying the injury so hopefully it isn't that serious. Sorry I don't have the link handy. This is good for those of us that wanted to see the big man on the 22nd.

SBSoxFan
05-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Potentially one of the most painful injuries you can have. Its located above your knee, basically the front hammy.
Actually, I think there are 4 "quadricep" muscles. The one we usually think of when referring to the quad (above the knee on the interior of the leg), is called the vastus medialis.

Palehose13
05-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Finally, I think I need to get something off my chest.

Frank Thomas carried the Chicago White Sox on his back for fifteen years. He wasn't able to do it last season because he was injured, and so his teammates carried him across the finish line, and he finally got the WS ring he deserved. That's what being part of a team is all about. It saddens me that I have explain that to people who call themselves White Sox fans, but it's obvious there are some people who just don't get it.

It saddens me that you have to explain it. I also can't believe that people can't see what really went on with Frank at the end. He was dumped and he didn't want out of the relationship. He did what any bitter-ex would do...complained/whined about his former partner (the White Sox). It's just human nature and I am sure that Frank and the organization will kiss and make up eventually.

slavko
05-12-2006, 11:58 AM
I noticed this last year, Lip. He definitely had more of a HR swing than in years past. Frank has even talked about it mentioning that when he is at bat he is "looking to do damage" and not settle for the smaller hits or walks as much.

And of course it has been widely reported he wants to get to 500 HR to ensure his HOF induction.

That's part of it. I think the uppercut started when the league began to pitch him inside so that he could no longer try to hit everything to right-center. That's been the case since his BA started to fall off and it's more than a few years ago. Frank himself has said the same. The scouts basically figured out how to pitch to him and are daring him to try for the HR. Injuries, of course, haven't helped.

TDog
05-12-2006, 12:02 PM

The Frank Thomas I watched in the early '90s hit over .300 and hit more than 40 home runs while walking more than 100 times. A few seasons as a home-run derby DH with a batting average in the low .200s won't enhance his Hall of Fame credentials. It will leave baseball writers with questions about his ability.

Hanging on just to get 500 home runs (even if he proves me wrong and reaches the milestone) is counterproductive for his legacy.

1951Campbell
05-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Here, Chicken Dinner and getonbckthr...

http://ladyclo.tripod.com/gifs/14.gif

...go buy yourselves a clue.

voodoochile
05-12-2006, 12:10 PM
The Frank Thomas I watched in the early '90s hit over .300 and hit more than 40 home runs while walking more than 100 times. A few seasons as a home-run derby DH with a batting average in the low .200s won't enhance his Hall of Fame credentials. It will leave baseball writers with questions about his ability.

Hanging on just to get 500 home runs (even if he proves me wrong and reaches the milestone) is counterproductive for his legacy.

There are fans who post on this very website who aren't sure Frank already has the qualifications. What makes you think the average schmo voter will be any different?

How can Frank damage his legacy? You either have a good one or a bad one. Frank clearly has a good one, but if he can hit 35 HR a year and bat .250, why shouldn't he continue playing? There are plenty of teams in the league who would love to have that production from their DH.

White Sox Randy
05-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Technically they traded for him and are currently paying him less than he signed for due to the money thrown in to the trade.

my fault -that should have been in teal

Flight #24
05-12-2006, 12:25 PM
It saddens me that you have to explain it. I also can't believe that people can't see what really went on with Frank at the end. He was dumped and he didn't want out of the relationship. He did what any bitter-ex would do...complained/whined about his former partner (the White Sox). It's just human nature and I am sure that Frank and the organization will kiss and make up eventually.

Not to mention that Frank didn't really slam the organization. He said they didn't handle his dismissal well, not letting him know until it was done. Yes, he thought he could still play, but he didn't fault them for making the decision to move on - he just thought he deserved better in terms of communication. He also said (as was already known), that he & Kenny didn't get along. What's generally ignored was that he also said that he had no hard feelings towards the org or KW/JR.

Bottom line is that Frank never held out, never sat out with minor injuries, and generally performed at a high level for an extended period of time. But somehow, that gets lost because he complained about his salary, while people easily forget guys who don't say stupid things as much, but who actually DO far worse things than Frank.

IlliniSox4Life
05-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Any word on if he will be making the trip to Chicago on 5/22 yet? Even if he doesn't play, I'd like to see him there.

Fuller_Schettman
05-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Aramis Ramirez strained his glut muscle earlier this year. I think it was the first time I ever heard of someone doing that.

Actually, a few years back I recall that Shammy Soso pulled his glut, apparently while farting.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Bottom line is that Frank never held out, never sat out with minor injuries, and generally performed at a high level for an extended period of time. But somehow, that gets lost because he complained about his salary, while people easily forget guys who don't say stupid things as much, but who actually DO far worse things than Frank.

Don't forget that he played for such poor excuses for managers during 13 years of his career:

Gene Lamont (1992-1995)
Terry Bevington (1995-1997)
Jerry Manuel (1998-2003)

I think most people would have a thing or two to complain about if they were being coached by TB or JM. When the coach puts no emphasis on winning or is completely incapable of winning, sports become a very individual game.

I don't want to hear the BS about "the players can pull together and do it" ... the tone is set by the coach and the front office (TB, JM & Ron Schuler).

Chicken Dinner
05-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Here, Chicken Dinner and getonbckthr...

http://ladyclo.tripod.com/gifs/14.gif

...go buy yourselves a clue.
I'll pass this on to Kenny, he needs clues more than I do.

RKMeibalane
05-12-2006, 01:05 PM

KW is the best GM in baseball. I doubt he needs help from any of us.

Taliesinrk
05-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Actually, I think there are 4 "quadricep" muscles. The one we usually think of when referring to the quad (above the knee on the interior of the leg), is called the vastus medialis.

hmm.. i always thought the main one pulled was the rectus femoris cuz it was on the top?? also, it should be noted, there are also 3 glut muscles as well..

Taliesinrk
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
For all the crap he had to say I honestly can say "He gone" and to quote Kenny "he's not our problem anymore good riddance."

:dumbass:

that's the only response that can be given to posts like this...

getonbckthr
05-12-2006, 03:53 PM
:dumbass:

that's the only response that can be given to posts like this...
Thanks man I appreciate it coming from a scholar genious such as yourself.
My opinions are just that MY OPINIONS. If I, with my God given right, choose not to support or like Frank Thomas thats my decision. There is no right or wrong, no dumbass or genious when it comes to it.

SBSoxFan
05-12-2006, 04:06 PM
hmm.. i always thought the main one pulled was the rectus femoris cuz it was on the top?? also, it should be noted, there are also 3 glut muscles as well..
Oh, you are probably right; that makes more sense. From a quick web search I found this

The term "quadriceps" is derived from the Latin root meaning, "four heads." We can list the four heads of the quads as: the vastus medialis, (that teardrop shaped muscle on the inside of the thigh just above the knee), the rectus femoris, vastus intermedius, and vastus lateralis.
So, I guess the quadriceps is taken to mean this group of 4 muscles. In the picture below, they only label 3 muscles. I'm wondering if the "slice" between the vasuts medialis and rectus femoris is the vastus intermedius (who makes up these names anyway)? :dunno: From the language, however, maybe that muscle is also below the rectus femoris which would then make it "intermedius" with respect to the "medialis" and the "lateralis". Anyway, that femor bone with the muscles on it looks like a chicken leg; now I'm hungry!

From now on, I'm just gonna say he hurt his leg!

http://www.2-fit.com/images/anatomy_quads2.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2006, 04:15 PM
My opinions are just that MY OPINIONS. If I, with my God given right, choose not to support or like Frank Thomas thats my decision. There is no right or wrong, no dumbass or genious when it comes to it.

It would be nice if you could back up your opinion, but you would rather play the role of victim. It's not very becoming, but hardly surprising either.

Would you become too sensitive if I noted how the rest of us have the God given right to tell you how wrong your unsubstantiated opinion is, or would you cry about that, too?

getonbckthr
05-12-2006, 04:19 PM
It would be nice if you could back up your opinion, but you would rather play the role of victim. It's not very becoming, but hardly surprising either.

Would you become too sensitive if I noted how the rest of us have the God given right to tell you how wrong your unsubstantiated opinion is, or would you cry about that, too?
Why am I wrong for not liking Frank Thomas? Is there a certain rule that states I must like Frank Thomas because he played for the Sox and i'm a Sox fan? I never liked Alonzo Spellman when he was a Bear so does that make me wrong as a Bears fan? I never liked Scottie Pippen and felt he was overrated. Does that make me wrong as a Bulls fan?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Why am I wrong for not liking Frank Thomas? Is there a certain rule that states I must like Frank Thomas because he played for the Sox and i'm a Sox fan?

No, you're wrong because you REFUSE to explain why you don't like Frank Thomas.

You're wrong because you REFUSE to cite examples.

You're wrong because you get defensive when asked.

Back it up, and you have no problems. Otherwise, you're just acting like a dumbass. Don't take offense if others point it out for you.

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Why am I wrong for not liking Frank Thomas? Is there a certain rule that states I must like Frank Thomas because he played for the Sox and i'm a Sox fan?No, you're wrong for calling him the cute little put-down name that you'd never have the balls to call him to his face.

hawkjt
05-12-2006, 05:05 PM
At least Frank is in good company with Scottie Pippen as guys this sox and bulls fan ''just doesnt like''.

Scottie- top 50 player in NBA history
Frank- top player in sox history

Sure , you're entitled to your opinion but that does not mean your opinion is not mis-guided.

1951Campbell
05-12-2006, 05:38 PM

Credibility shrinking.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2006, 06:00 PM
Credibility shrinking.

Shrinking like that certain part of Barry Bonds' anatomy that his mistress knows all about.

Chicken Dickless?

sullythered
05-12-2006, 06:07 PM

:?:
Kenny who? Kenny Smith? Kenny Rogers? Kenny Lofton? You surely aren't refering to the GM of The Champs, are you?

1951Campbell
05-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Shrinking like that certain part of Barry Bonds' anatomy that his mistress knows all about.

Chicken Dickless?

He was in the pool, PHG, in the pool.

:D:

RKMeibalane
05-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Why am I wrong for not liking Frank Thomas? Is there a certain rule that states I must like Frank Thomas because he played for the Sox and i'm a Sox fan? I never liked Alonzo Spellman when he was a Bear so does that make me wrong as a Bears fan? I never liked Scottie Pippen and felt he was overrated. Does that make me wrong as a Bulls fan?

Nobody has a problem with your not liking Frank Thomas. What people don't like is the lack of respect you've shown him (Big *****).

HotelWhiteSox
05-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks man I appreciate it coming from a scholar genious such as yourself.

And it's his opinion that you're a dumbass...

Chicken Dinner
05-13-2006, 01:45 AM
:?:
Kenny who? Kenny Smith? Kenny Rogers? Kenny Lofton? You surely aren't refering to the GM of The Champs, are you?
Nobody on this board was bashing Frank. It was Kenny and Frank that were at war.

OK maybe some.

alohafri
05-13-2006, 03:58 PM
**** , I had a bad feeling this would happen even though I got those Sox/A's tickets early in the year. Similar to Sosa, I bet there will be some conspiracies or theories about the timing in the media

Glad I wasn't the one to bring this up.

alohafri
05-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Frank was the greatest hitter to ever wear a White Sox uniform. However, he is now the enemy. He should get the cheers he deserves on his first at bat at the Cell, but after that, he should get the same response we give any other opposing player. Same goes for Rowand, El Duque, Blum, and anyone else who helped get us where we went last year.

Soxfanspcu11
05-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Let me say first and foremost, Frank Thomas is the reason that I am a White Sox fan, I grew up watching him.

And this isn't meant to be a slam on him or anything, but now we are seeing what the "difference" is between Frank Thomas and Jim Thome.

I'm sure that most Sox fans remember that shortly after the Sox signed Thome, Thomas said something to the effect of, "What has Thome proven that I haven't". That clearly is not a direct quote, I don't recall exactly what was said, but the meaning was the same. Basically Frank was saying that it was wrong for the Sox to sign Thome when he had just as many injury problems and potential problems as Thomas had/has.

Well Frank, as much as I love and respect you, you now see why Kenny made the move he did.

If Frank or Carl were our DH this year, we could easily be looking at a difference of 5 games in the loss column.

Like I said, I will always love Frank, but I hope that he at least sees what the "difference" is between him and Thome.

pearso66
05-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Frank was the greatest hitter to ever wear a White Sox uniform. However, he is now the enemy. He should get the cheers he deserves on his first at bat at the Cell, but after that, he should get the same response we give any other opposing player. Same goes for Rowand, El Duque, Blum, and anyone else who helped get us where we went last year.

I don't know, I don't think I can give any player who helped our team win a championship the normal treatment of a normal visiting player. Same goes with Frank, it is because of Frank Thomas that I am a White Sox fan, same with many fans. I will always cheer him.

Taliesinrk
05-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Nobody on this board was bashing Frank. It was Kenny and Frank that were at war.

OK maybe some.

Big Skirt = bashing... dumbass bashing..

i don't know getonbckt or whatever his name is; but i do know that that quote came accross as being from a dumbass.. perhaps he isn't but making that statement certainly is

TaylorStSox
05-14-2006, 05:56 PM

You just compared Thomas to Rowand, El Duque and Blum. It's apples and oranges. They all contributed to the team, but Frank Thomas is the White Sox. He was our greatest player...EVER! He carried this franchise for 15 years. Frank will get a standing ovation from me anytime he comes to the plate.

TomBradley72
05-16-2006, 09:30 AM
I think Frank's career will be 100% over before this season ends...after 107 AB's...his line is: .187-7-18, with a .290 OBP...and now another injury...can't play the field, can barely run, it's just not coming back for him. I do hope there would be a way for him to come back to the White Sox, make one final plate appearance at home (maybe after they have clinched the Division in September, or late in the game during a blow out)...get a standing ovation from the home fans...and retire as a White Sox. Might not be realistic...but I'd like to see it.

ondafarm
05-16-2006, 10:08 AM
I think Frank's career will be 100% over before this season ends...after 107 AB's...his line is: .187-7-18, with a .290 OBP...and now another injury...can't play the field, can barely run, it's just not coming back for him. I do hope there would be a way for him to come back to the White Sox, make one final plate appearance at home (maybe after they have clinched the Division in September, or late in the game during a blow out)...get a standing ovation from the home fans...and retire as a White Sox. Might not be realistic...but I'd like to see it.

I doubt it.

LongLiveFisk
05-16-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm still holding out hope for him to eventually hit HR #500 but it's definitely starting to look doubtful. :(:

Flight #24
05-16-2006, 10:31 AM
You just compared Thomas to Rowand, El Duque and Blum. It's apples and oranges. They all contributed to the team, but Frank Thomas is the White Sox. He was our greatest player...EVER! He carried this franchise for 15 years. Frank will get a standing ovation from me anytime he comes to the plate.

And by the way, this was really his main beef - that in his "dismissal", he was treated exactly like those guys, and he felt he had contributed enough to the franchise over his career to deserve better. I'd have to agree, and that's no knock on Rowand, Duque, or Blum.

You treat your greatest player in franchise history better than you treat 1-year guys, bench players, or even fan favorites like Rowand. But that's just IMO. The Sox aren't the first and won't be the last to behave thusly. It's just a shame when it happens.

goon
05-16-2006, 10:52 AM
And by the way, this was really his main beef - that in his "dismissal", he was treated exactly like those guys, and he felt he had contributed enough to the franchise over his career to deserve better. I'd have to agree, and that's no knock on Rowand, Duque, or Blum.

You treat your greatest player in franchise history better than you treat 1-year guys, bench players, or even fan favorites like Rowand. But that's just IMO. The Sox aren't the first and won't be the last to behave thusly. It's just a shame when it happens.

eh. thomas's attitude and personality over his career with the white sox had a little something to do with that. it's unfortunate it had to happen the way it did, but frank was treated MORE than fairly over his time in a white sox uniform. if he felt his depature was in some way disrespectful then maybe he should stop blaming everyone else and look in the mirror. i'm not saying he didn't deserve more credit, but he didn't deserve an f'ng parade or something. he may have been the greatest white sox hitter ever, yet i wouldn't use words/phrases like "selfless" and "down to earth" when describing the guy. anyway, i'm happy with jim thome in that DH role, you would have to be a moron if you are not.

Flight #24
05-16-2006, 11:35 AM
eh. thomas's attitude and personality over his career with the white sox had a little something to do with that. it's unfortunate it had to happen the way it did, but frank was treated MORE than fairly over his time in a white sox uniform. if he felt his depature was in some way disrespectful then maybe he should stop blaming everyone else and look in the mirror. i'm not saying he didn't deserve more credit, but he didn't deserve an f'ng parade or something. he may have been the greatest white sox hitter ever, yet i wouldn't use words/phrases like "selfless" and "down to earth" when describing the guy. anyway, i'm happy with jim thome in that DH role, you would have to be a moron if you are not.

He didn't say he wantd a parade. He said he thought that 15 years of service at a fairly high level of performance and pretty much the undisputed place as the greatest player in franchise history deserved a phone call before the fact to say "Hey - we're going to move in another direction because we don't think we can rely on you to stay healthy" rather than a "Hey Frank, you may have seen this on the news, but we just traded for Jim Thome. You know what that means, good luck" type of call.

Heck - if he had even gotten a call after the fact from JR to say "Frank, it's unfortunate we had to let you go, but we want you in the organization after you retire and you'll always be a part of the Sox family.", he'd have been satisfied. (Not that he wouldn't have been disappointed to not be able to play his whole career with the Sox.)

There's a huge difference, and it's the type of difference that you make for your all-time franchise player. The Sox are currently a top-notch organization, but in this instance, they sure didn't behave that way IMO.

ondafarm
05-16-2006, 11:41 AM
eh. thomas's attitude and personality over his career with the white sox had a little something to do with that. it's unfortunate it had to happen the way it did, but frank was treated MORE than fairly over his time in a white sox uniform. if he felt his depature was in some way disrespectful then maybe he should stop blaming everyone else and look in the mirror. i'm not saying he didn't deserve more credit, but he didn't deserve an f'ng parade or something. he may have been the greatest white sox hitter ever, yet i wouldn't use words/phrases like "selfless" and "down to earth" when describing the guy. ..

That's your opinion, of course, with a handle like yours, who expects more from you?

For those among us who've met Frank Thomas the words selfless and down to earth come readily to mind.

I've said this before on this board among political matters (and I don't consider this one) and will probably say it again among baseball matters

". . . if you choose to swallow without pausing to chew that which the media proffers, do not be surprised if you find yourself choking on the bones . . ."

Sargeant79
05-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Heck - if he had even gotten a call after the fact from JR to say "Frank, it's unfortunate we had to let you go, but we want you in the organization after you retire and you'll always be a part of the Sox family.", he'd have been satisfied. (Not that he wouldn't have been disappointed to not be able to play his whole career with the Sox.)

I disagree. I love Frank as a player and he's a big part of why I became a Sox fan in my youth. But I don't think he would have been satisfied. Honestly, Frank probably would have still found some fault with the organization and would have felt "wronged" simply by not being re-signed. And when Frank has felt "wronged", he has always had a tendency to let everyone know about it.

No argument that the way it was handled (from his perspective) probably inflamed his displeasure a bit more than if it was handled another way, but he likely would have spouted off to some extent no matter what.

Frank the player was great. Frank the man never really knew when to keep his mouth shut.

ilsox7
05-16-2006, 12:28 PM
For those among us who've met Frank Thomas the words selfless and down to earth come readily to mind.

Not everyone of us who has met him or had personal experiences with him can say this. Some can, some cannot. Let's not generalize...everyone is going to have their own opinion on things.

But what is fact is that he was the White Sox for more than a decade. That means he deserves some respect on the field from the fans (whether or not you like him).

ondafarm
05-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Not everyone of us who has met him or had personal experiences with him can say this. Some can, some cannot. Let's not generalize...everyone is going to have their own opinion on things.

But what is fact is that he was the White Sox for more than a decade. That means he deserves some respect on the field from the fans (whether or not you like him).

You are the first person I've ever heard of who met the man one-on-one and wasn't stunningly impressed. He talked to me for considerably longer than he had to, even showed me a few of the finer features of Chavez Ravine and introduced me to Tommy Lasorda.

ilsox7
05-16-2006, 01:14 PM
You are the first person I've ever heard of who met the man one-on-one and wasn't stunningly impressed. He talked to me for considerably longer than he had to, even showed me a few of the finer features of Chavez Ravine and introduced me to Tommy Lasorda.

I won't go into details, but let's just say I have been less than impressed by how he acts/treats people away from the baseball field. But like I said, each person can and should have their own opinion. That's cool he was accommodating to you...every athlete should be like that!

bleacher reacher
05-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Has anyone heard any updates on Frank's status for next week's series? All ESPN says is day-to-day.

I'll be there Monday night and am curious if they will "announce" him even if he isn't playing.

ondafarm
05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
On the A's web site he's listed as day-to-day. Supposedly he warmed up for Sunday's game but it was decided it wasn't his day.

What I've heard about his performance thus far is that he's been doing exactly what was expected. He's working counts, the BA started slow but is rising and his power is still solid. Since his salary is structured around plate appearances, the A's aren't to worried about giving him solid time off.

Tragg
05-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060511&content_id=1448652&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak)

Not sure if it's anything serious but it can't be good for the big man. I hope it's not serious though as I am going to the game on the 22nd and was hoping to see him again.
Sorry for the big fella.

This will, however, be used by Beane apologists at the end of the season for the reason the As didn't win...how can a team possibly overcome the loss of a hitter like Big Frank?

TomBradley72
05-16-2006, 11:13 PM

I've been lucky enough to become friends with several of Frank's teammates from the 1990-2000 era...their description of Frank as a teammate is the complete opposite of your assessment.

Great hitter. But a guy that seemed to really seemed to struggle with alot of the other stuff.

TomBradley72
05-16-2006, 11:15 PM
You are the first person I've ever heard of who met the man one-on-one and wasn't stunningly impressed.

Then you haven't met enough people....

Flight #24
05-16-2006, 11:23 PM
I've been lucky enough to become friends with several of Frank's teammates from the 1990-2000 era...their description of Frank as a teammate is the complete opposite of your assessment.

Great hitter. But a guy that seemed to really seemed to struggle with alot of the other stuff.

That's odd, because I know I've heard/seen quotes from guys like Rowand & Uribe specifically mentioning how Frank worked with them on hitting. Heck - ESPN even had a video blurb on Nick Swisher in which they showed Frank giving him tips in the batting cages.

Obsessed with his own stats as a hitter? Yes. But I never saw him have an AB that was contrary to the benefit of the team (i.e. swinging for the fences, not hitting to the right side, etc.). Many great hitters have been stats-obsessed, including "good guys" like Tony Gwynn. Heck - even Cal Ripken had people saying he put "the streak" ahead of the O's late in his career.

And the stats obsession is IMO not that bad for a hitter. After all, when a man stands at the plate, this is a time for individual accomplishment. It's when he goes out on the field that he's part...of...a...team.:wink:

Jaffar
05-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Thomas is supposed to play today (wed) so that is a good sign for Mondays game. I met Frank in 2005 right before he went down when I was on the field for BP for something I won in the offseason and he was the nicest, most willing to please of all the guys I met that day. He signed everything, introduced me to his son and just talked for a good 10 minutes. Rock was right behind him on that list followed by Ozzie. Of all the guys Konerko would be at the bottom that day probably sharing it with Everett. Maybe some will say "I haven't met enough people then" but that's thier opinion just like you got mine. I think Minnie is at the top of my list as well.

TomBradley72
05-17-2006, 08:28 AM
That's odd, because I know I've heard/seen quotes from guys like Rowand & Uribe specifically mentioning how Frank worked with them on hitting. Heck - ESPN even had a video blurb on Nick Swisher in which they showed Frank giving him tips in the batting cages.

He's played with hundreds of guys over his career....so I'm sure it's a mixed bag. He had run ins with Ventura, Guillen, Manuel, Konerko, etc...so there's plenty of evidence around that part of his reputation.

ode to veeck
05-17-2006, 08:43 AM
I've said this before on this board among political matters (and I don't consider this one) and will probably say it again among baseball matters

". . . if you choose to swallow without pausing to chew that which the media proffers, do not be surprised if you find yourself choking on the bones . . ."

ain't it the truth ... at least now that's he's out here in the Bay Area, he's not getted pounded by fabricated stories by the local Chitown mediots, or collages of historical fabricated stories by local mediots ... back to the local WSIdiots squabbles (CD & gtbcher).

too bad for both Frank and A's he went down again this week (didn't play in yesterday's blowout), they need him with their general deficit of hitting and current injuries, especially as he seemed to be coming around recently

amazing he had those HRs in so few ABs last year, especially if he is uppercutting. West and I saw him totally crush a ball in Oakland last year from the scout seats (diamond boxes behind the plate).

ondafarm
05-17-2006, 10:24 AM
ain't it the truth ... at least now that's he's out here in the Bay Area, he's not getted pounded by fabricated stories by the local Chitown mediots, or collages of historical fabricated stories by local mediots ... back to the local WSIdiots squabbles (CD & gtbcher).

too bad for both Frank and A's he went down again this week (didn't play in yesterday's blowout), they need him with their general deficit of hitting and current injuries, especially as he seemed to be coming around recently

amazing he had those HRs in so few ABs last year, especially if he is uppercutting. West and I saw him totally crush a ball in Oakland last year from the scout seats (diamond boxes behind the plate).

Yes sir. I think Frank's new teammates accept him for what he is. A star at the end of a great career, trying to complete the 'automatic' criteria for HOF membership. Billy Beane loves how many pitches he gets per at bat and his teammates learn something from him everyday. Macha loves the big bat thunder when Frank is available and he doesn't break the bank.

The media here doesn't seem to enjoy bashing the guy and he seems unwilling to give them much to misquote. It also seems like his teammates, for the most part genuinely like him.

Flight #24
05-17-2006, 11:37 AM
He's played with hundreds of guys over his career....so I'm sure it's a mixed bag. He had run ins with Ventura, Guillen, Manuel, Konerko, etc...so there's plenty of evidence around that part of his reputation.

Except that any "testimony" from Manuel is tainted by his own idiocy, and the only real "issue" with Konerko was when Frank was out with a triceps and Paulie thought it wise to comment on his being unavailable.

Ozzie & Robin mostly said he was obsessed with his own statistics and that he wasn't a vocal team leader. Not that he was "bad in the clubhouse".

soxinem1
05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Thomas is supposed to play today (wed) so that is a good sign for Mondays game. I met Frank in 2005 right before he went down when I was on the field for BP for something I won in the offseason and he was the nicest, most willing to please of all the guys I met that day. He signed everything, introduced me to his son and just talked for a good 10 minutes. Rock was right behind him on that list followed by Ozzie. Of all the guys Konerko would be at the bottom that day probably sharing it with Everett. Maybe some will say "I haven't met enough people then" but that's thier opinion just like you got mine. I think Minnie is at the top of my list as well.

Frank and Minnie have always been two of the most friendly star Sox players I've ever met. From the time Frank autographed a ball for me in the hotel bar in Milwaukee in 1990 to the time he left, I never saw or heard him act belligerent toward fans. I have tickets for Monday's game, I sure hope he plays.

Minnie has always been a class act, I think many of today's players i all sports can take a lesson from MM.

TDog
05-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Thomas is supposed to play today (wed) so that is a good sign for Mondays game. ....

Thomas is playing Wednesday night.

ondafarm
05-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Thomas played yesterday, lifted after his fourth at bat for a pinch runner.

0-2 with two deep fly outs, two walks and a run scored.

He's 0-1 today with a walk.

Most importantly for Billy Beane, he's averaging 4.8 pitches per at-bat since returning. If he keeps that up, he'd be ahead of the league leader, currently Giambi at 4.6.

Two of his walks have been to load the bases.

I, for one, will accept a .500 OBP guy no matter how he gets on base.

Norberto7
05-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I, for one, will accept a .500 OBP guy no matter how he gets on base.

Absolutely.

What does this have to do with the 2006 Frank Thomas? :tongue:

ondafarm
05-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Absolutely.

What does this have to do with the 2006 Frank Thomas? :tongue:

For May he's at .395 OBP, this week .574 :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

RKMeibalane
05-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Frank is now 1-2 with 2 RBIs, driving in both runs on a single to right in the fifth.

IlliniSox4Life
05-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Frank is now 1-2 with 2 RBIs, driving in both runs on a single to right in the fifth.

Glad to see him back, and hopefully he will be there Monday.