PDA

View Full Version : favorite Sox giveaway night?

cheeses_h_rice
01-30-2002, 03:29 PM
Anyone here have any favorite memorites of giveaway days at Comiskey?

In my opinion, the only good giveaway days they have now are geared towards kids (glove day comes to mind), which perhaps explains my most cherished giveaway, which was Aamco Transmission t-shirt night from 1976 or 1977. My mom still has photos of me and 3 of my brothers all wearing the red & white faux-Sox-jersey shirts. I think I even wore mine to my one visit to the old Cleveland Indians ballpark, when I attended a DREADFUL game between the Indians and Mariners -- there couldn't have been more than 10,000 people there, in this cavernous park. Plus I had broken my glasses on the boat going underneath Niagara Falls, so I couldn't really see the action either.

Cheryl
01-30-2002, 04:11 PM
They gave away barbeque aprons on Fathers Day one year. I got two, so I gave one to my dad. He loves his too.

duke of dorwood
01-30-2002, 10:35 PM
I still have a Bill Melton photo mug I bet I used a thousand times for hot chocolate or soup. The gloves they give now are so much better than they once did. The only foul ball I ever caught at a game was at glove day in 1984.

Daver
01-30-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I still have a Bill Melton photo mug I bet I used a thousand times for hot chocolate or soup. The gloves they give now are so much better than they once did. The only foul ball I ever caught at a game was at glove day in 1984.

Glove day is by far their best giveaway,I took my son last year and was quite impressed with the quality of the glove that was handed out.I expected a piece of garbage that would be in the trash in a week,instead he received a quality glove that he used for most of last years T-ball season,and will probably use again this year in regular peewee league.I have to give credit to the Sox marketing dept.for their involvement in getting kids into the game.

WinningUgly!
01-30-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by daver

Glove day is by far their best giveaway,I took my son last year and was quite impressed with the quality of the glove that was handed out.I expected a piece of garbage that would be in the trash in a week,instead he received a quality glove that he used for most of last years T-ball season,and will probably use again this year in regular peewee league.I have to give credit to the Sox marketing dept.for their involvement in getting kids into the game.

That's cool. I remember going on glove day once in the mid 80's. The gloves they gave away then were cheapies! They were very small & plastic. Mine was cracking within a week. Good to know they did a quality upgrade!

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 11:39 PM
I have to give credit to the Sox marketing dept.for their involvement in getting kids into the game.

Sox have been involved in the local baseball scene for a long time. I remeber several years ago when they gave a bunch of money to redo several HS and public baseball diamonds. They have always been good at going after the family market, but they fail when it comes to bringing in the 20 something market.

longshot7
01-31-2002, 02:44 AM
I still like Elvis night....

and one year they gave away replica "Chicago American Giants" (you know, old Negro league team) caps - those were cool.

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Sox have been involved in the local baseball scene for a long time. I remeber several years ago when they gave a bunch of money to redo several HS and public baseball diamonds. They have always been good at going after the family market, but they fail when it comes to bringing in the 20 something market.

...unfortunately, it's those very 20-somethings we have to put up with on the Troll Board.

"Yeah baby, Cubbies!!!"

irish rover
01-31-2002, 10:50 AM
I like the 1917 hats they gave away last year, and glove day is awsome for kids, hundred times better than the gay things the chubs give away, wish they bring back ladies night that would bring in the 20 somethings in

phaedrus
01-31-2002, 11:38 AM
All the hat nights are great - we have a pretty good collection going now. The 1917 hats last year tho were the best. I wear that one a lot. Best night of the year by far is Elvis night. I think in Ventura's last year here he hit a homer in the bottom of the 9th to win it on Elvis night and the place went nuts. Everyone stuck around to see the show and the atmosphere was fantastic.

danman31
01-31-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by daver
I went to a glove day a couple years ago. It is a quality glove, I got one and of course it's way too small for me. Being a lefty I was pissed that all they had because the glove was for righties only. Biased garbage. :angry:

danman31
01-31-2002, 01:10 PM
I hate Elvis night. I went to one, not knowing that it was Elvis night and the post game activities sucked! The only reason we stayed around was the fireworks, luckily the fireworks are worth it.

My personal favorite is not a big name, but I like the team baseball cards. I went to one of those and they are pretty good, not worth much of course, but they did look good. Unfortunately, Fordyce had been traded by the time they made the set and they didn't have prospects like Garland and Wells who ended up playing a lot in the 2nd half of 2000.