PDA

View Full Version : Espn

rwcescato
05-11-2006, 01:21 PM
I have a thought and was wondering if anyone can answer. We all know all ESPN shows are the Yankees and Red Sox. This week we are especially being shoved Yanks Red Sox down our throats. As a matter of fact they are showing the Red Sox everyday this week except for Sunday in which we will be shown. The question is who watches these games? Except for Sunday games which are Exclusive to ESPN the home and road markets are blacked out. That means that New York and Boston are both blacked out according to the MLB rule. If that is true then why do we have to watch only 2 teams all year. The only 2 cities that care about there rivalry are the 2 markets that can't watch them. Maybe they have a special black out lift rule. Why was the Cardinals game yesterday blacked out in Chicago. I was looking forward to watching Pujols hit #18. I know ESPN is a sore subject on these boards, so thanks for your patience.
Rich

Lip Man 1
05-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Rich:

Even with New York and Boston blacked out it is ESPN's contention (and I don't know if it is valid or not) that there is still enough interest in the rest of the country to make it worth their time and money.

I do recall in the first column by their new omsbudsmen though a statement where he said that ESPN has to realize interest in the Red Sox-Yankees isn't the same in Phoenix as it is East of the Allegheny Mountains.

Lip

MikeLove
05-11-2006, 01:34 PM
um i might be wrong here but... You can still watch the White Sox (or the cubs if you want to laugh) in chicago when they play on ESPN. I wouldn't see why it would be any different for the yanks and the fake sox

edit: also it was pretty sweet how the first 15 minutes (well actually i think they might have showed cards highlites) of the 5pm sportscenter yesterday was all yankees red sox. Then they mess around and show some other stuff for maybe 10 minutes, then go back to talking about yankees red sox. Jesus Christ, maybe if they actually acknowledged other teams more people would be interested in them! What ever happened to just showing the damn highlites of all the games? Plus I loved the segment either on sportscenter or BBTN where they went through and showed all of bond's at bats for the week. Who the **** cares? Even diehard bonds fans probably wouldnt be interested in seeing their beloved hero going like 1 for 10.

rwcescato
05-11-2006, 01:38 PM
um i might be wrong here but... You can still watch the White Sox (or the cubs if you want to laugh) in chicago when they play on ESPN. I wouldn't see why it would be any different for the yanks and the fake sox
Thats only if its on Sunday night games.

rwcescato
05-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Rich:

Even with New York and Boston blacked out it is ESPN's contention (and I don't know if it is valid or not) that there is still enough interest in the rest of the country to make it worth their time and money.

I do recall in the first column by their new omsbudsmen though a statement where he said that ESPN has to realize interest in the Red Sox-Yankees isn't the same in Phoenix as it is East of the Allegheny Mountains.

Lip

Thanks Mark I do think that maube its thier own egos that cause them to think that way.

MikeLove
05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
what about wednesday night? dont we get those too? ive been in iowa city for so long i forget.

rwcescato
05-11-2006, 01:44 PM
what about wednesday night? dont we get those too? ive been in iowa city for so long i forget.

I am pretty sure those are blacked out too. Maybe if the city does not have
a televised game that it could be on.

Kogs35
05-11-2006, 02:25 PM
ok heres the info

Monday night blackouts
Each team is aloud 4 blackout lifts for each team per season.

espn Day game
Unless your team is not coverd locally your blacked out

Wed night Blackouts
applies to every team

Thursday night Blackouts
Same as The espn day game rule

And Sunday night is exclusive to espn like we know.

Hope this helps.

skottyj242
05-11-2006, 02:54 PM
. Why was the Cardinals game yesterday blacked out in Chicago. I was looking forward to watching Pujols hit #18. I know ESPN is a sore subject on these boards, so thanks for your patience.
Rich

I watched the game live here at work.

rwcescato
05-11-2006, 03:14 PM
ok heres the info

Monday night blackouts
Each team is aloud 4 blackout lifts for each team per season.

espn Day game
Unless your team is not coverd locally your blacked out

Wed night Blackouts
applies to every team

Thursday night Blackouts
Same as The espn day game rule

And Sunday night is exclusive to espn like we know.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Chicken Dinner
05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
And the FOX blackout rules are..........Blackout every game except the one that we will force you to watch.:angry:

lumpyspun
05-11-2006, 04:29 PM
With all the blogs out there on the interweb...does anybody know of any "I hate ESPN" ones? I'm sure there has to be a few funny ones.