PDA

View Full Version : Baseball's Worst Managers

itsnotrequired
05-11-2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.maximonline.com/sports/7th_inning/comments.aspx?id=4566

1. DUSTY BAKER, CHICAGO CUBS (last year: 2)

Demerits: Somehow has been able to convince two venerable franchises to buy into his big-papa-bear act and gasp with awe as he steers 94-win talent to 86 victories…Won’t play anyone under the age of 26...

Mitigating factors: His players apparently consider him a warm, toothpick-chomping cross between their fathers and Samuel L. Jackson…

:rolling:

Lip Man 1
05-11-2006, 12:07 PM
For what it's worth Rob Neyer in his new book Biggest Baseball Blunders has one section devoted solely to Baker's boners with the Giants and Cubs.

Lip

tebman
05-11-2006, 12:11 PM
What, no love for the unforgettable Terry Bevington?

Sarah
05-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Heard some of the guys on WSCR talking about this on the way to hand in a take-home final this morning.

I have a good friend who is a big Giants fan (she's from San Jose). She couldn't believe it when the Cubs actually signed Dusty; according to her, he was basically ridden out of town when management realized that being popular with the players is not the same thing as winning games.

Not that this generally matters to Cub "fans"...

-Sarah-

Johnny Mostil
05-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Some other gems in the article:

If the team still finds itself mired in 84-win no man’s land once Wood and Prior get healthy—ETA on that is anywhere between May 15 and March 2014

A "mitigating factor" for Gaudenhire:

Has to make do with the players foisted upon him by the game’s most overrated front office, which ably develops prospects yet seems incapable of finding big-league bats

SOXPHILE
05-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Yet another reason why I hope Johnny B. is at the helm of the Lil' Blue Team for a good, long time. Come on Hendry, do it ! Sign him to a nice, big, 10 year extension. I'll throw in a 10 year supply of toothpicks and excuses for him myself.

Chez
05-11-2006, 12:31 PM

The Award to the Worst manager should be named after him -- "The Bevington."

kittle42
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
But In Dusty We Trusty!

Iwritecode
05-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Yet another reason why I hope Johnny B. is at the helm of the Lil' Blue Team for a good, long time. Come on Hendry, do it ! Sign him to a nice, big, 10 year extension. I'll throw in a 10 year supply of toothpicks and excuses for him myself.

Steve Stone thinks it's almost a lock that they will.

If they lose and miss the playoffs = Wood, Prior and Lee were hurt for extended periods of time. Not Dusty's fault.

If they win and make the playoffs = Dusty is a great manager.

:rolleyes:

That reasoning didn't save Jerry Manuel...

TDog
05-11-2006, 03:51 PM

Bennington doesn't even show up on a historical list of bad managers -- that's how bad some managers have been.

Probably the worst manager in my lifetime was Maury Wills. It wasn't just his .317 winning percentage with the Mariners in parts of two seasons (that ended up totaling 83 games. These were early 1980s Mariners teams, but Wills managed to get the least out of what little talent he had. He demonstrated that he didn't know the rules of baseball and was hated by his team. It was as if someone who had once been to a baseball game was hired to manage.

What I remember, though, was how he was (pre-Frank Robinson) touted as being someone who could break the managerial color line. Dave Baum, who had a sports commentary segment on WIND in the 1970s, was urging the White Sox to hire Wills.

Hitmen77
05-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Some of the comments on that page are amusing:

- SELL TO MARK CUBAN!!!
- I'm just waiting til bob brenly takes over..any cubs fan that watches the games should notice that brenly knows what to do in certain situations
- the trib will not do anything about this joke of a manager, until the fans quit putting their butts in the seats.
- Dusty Baker is baseball retarded
- It's not Dusty's fault that the Cubs suck. They would suck no matter who was calling the shots. They sucked before he got there (since 1908) and they will suck after he is gone.

...and ohhh nooooo!!!! Dusty's team is getting clobbered 9-0 today. They'd be winning if DLee weren't hurt because he would have hit a 10-run homer!

soxfanaticpaulie
05-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Hilarious.

I'm so sick of having to explain to Cubs fans, exactly why Dusty is a Moron, only to hear "But...but...2003!"

Dusty Sucks. "."

Brewski
05-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Bennington doesn't even show up on a historical list of bad managers -- that's how bad some managers have been.

Probably the worst manager in my lifetime was Maury Wills. It wasn't just his .317 winning percentage with the Mariners in parts of two seasons (that ended up totaling 83 games. These were early 1980s Mariners teams, but Wills managed to get the least out of what little talent he had. He demonstrated that he didn't know the rules of baseball and was hated by his team. It was as if someone who had once been to a baseball game was hired to manage.

What I remember, though, was how he was (pre-Frank Robinson) touted as being someone who could break the managerial color line. Dave Baum, who had a sports commentary segment on WIND in the 1970s, was urging the White Sox to hire Wills.

Long rumored (and claimed in his autobiography) to be the best of friends with Doris Day (Wills, not Bevington, are you nuts?) although she denies it.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2006, 11:21 AM
By the way apparently in the Sun-Times (I think) is a story today about the 'controversy' that has erupted after Comcast Sports showed a commercial with Dusty and his lineup card.

Apparently the card had the word STINK written by hand on it, underlined twice.

The Cubs and Comcast are now saying the still shot was from spring training.

I guess Dusty has some precognition ability!

Lip

Vernam
05-12-2006, 04:14 PM
I loved that photo of Dusty with the Decider.:o:
Yet another reason why I hope Johnny B. is at the helm of the Lil' Blue Team for a good, long time. Come on Hendry, do it ! Sign him to a nice, big, 10 year extension. I'll throw in a 10 year supply of toothpicks and excuses for him myself.I, too, hope he gets extended, but you read it here first: Dusty Baker will be impeached no less than seven and no more than ten days after the White Sox sweep the Cubs next weekend. The Trib Co. is too smart to fire him right after the ass-whupping, because Sox fans would never let their less-fortunate North Side counterparts hear the end of it. But at the same time, those Cub fans will be screaming for his head, since there is no other relief in sight.

Vernam

Viva Medias B's
05-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I loved that photo of Dusty with the Decider.:o:
I, too, hope he gets extended, but you read it here first: Dusty Baker will be impeached no less than seven and no more than ten days after the White Sox sweep the Cubs next weekend. The Trib Co. is too smart to fire him right after the ass-whupping, because Sox fans would never let their less-fortunate North Side counterparts hear the end of it. But at the same time, those Cub fans will be screaming for his head, since there is no other relief in sight.

Vernam

The way things are going up there now, Dusty might not make it to the series with us.

MrRoboto83
05-12-2006, 10:19 PM
The way things are going up there now, Dusty might not make it to the series with us.

Next thing you know Don Zimmer will be brought back, because, because, he had success in 1989.

TheDarkGundam
05-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Mitigating factors: His players apparently consider him a warm, toothpick-chomping cross between their fathers and Samuel L. Jackson…
:o:That's heresy.

http://nohayrosasinespina.bitacoras.com/imagenes/c_samuel_l_jackson.jpg
"Cubs mother****er! On a mother****ing plane!"