PDA

View Full Version : just wondering

irish rover
01-30-2002, 03:03 PM
If I were to start a thread here "Favorite Sox Game" would anyone here consider a game in which the sox lost, one of thier favorites. I wouldn't, just wondering. I tell you guys why when some respond to this

Soxboyrob
01-30-2002, 03:11 PM
Actually, one in which I attended solo while in town on some business comes to mind. And the Sox LOST the game! In the 1999 season, I attended a game vs. the Royals. The Sox were down something like 8-3 after 3 or 4 innings and fought back to tie it with a rally in the 9th after chipping away at the lead for most of the game. The weather was perfect on a beautiful July evening. Chris Singleton hit for the cycle that evening, capping the cycle w/ a titanic homer into the right field bleachers in the 8th inning. Even though the Sox lost the game in 10 innings, everyone left the game fairly excited about the way the Sox were starting to hit and the play of their new rookie, Singleton. I left feeling pretty good that night, despite the loss. The crowd was great and that game has really stuck out in my mind as one of the best ever for me (as far as games I've attended).

Soxboyrob
01-30-2002, 03:15 PM
I feel that I should at least add to the mix another game I attended in about 1975. It was Falstaff Seat Cushion night at Comiskey and the Sox were playing the Oakland A's. It was a low scoring affair and the Sox were losing 3-2 as they entered the bottom of the ninth inning. I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time, but I do recall that the Sox rallied to win that game 4-3 in the bottom of the ninth. My lasting memory of that game was the blizzard of white seat cushions that were launched onto the field at the culmination of the Sox winning the game. Usually, fans throw stuff on the field in disgust, but that night, they did w/ glee. I was one wide-eyed kid back then and hearing that crowd roar was when I truly became a Sox fan.

moochpuppy
01-30-2002, 03:17 PM
It wasn't one game actually but a series in 1994 between the Sox and Indians at Comiskey.

The two teams were neck and neck in the standings, the crowd was as loud and crazy I've ever seen. I think it was in June or July and it felt like a playoff series. Both teams were in their prime and tempers were short.

God how I wish there would have been a post season that year.

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 03:36 PM
Couple of games stick out...

The final game of the first cross town series. That was a blast. Someone had a teddy bear hung in effigy. Some flubby fan snatched it to save it and boy that was a mistake. A Sox fan snatched it from the flubbie fan and pretty soon it was being thrown around the stands. Finally a big Sox fan grabbed it and it disappeared. Then up from his lap came a paw twirling into the dusk and another and another until finally he stood up with the bodiless head held high in the air. The crowd roared... The Sox won. It was very cool watching the floppy hatted lemings leave in the seventh...

The first game back after sweeping NY and Cleveland on the road in early June, 2001. The Tribe was in town. Fatolo was pitching. The fans gave the Sox their first Standing-O of the year that night. We chased Fatboy in the 6th and won going away...

Can't say I've ever been at a game they lost that I enjoyed, but then again, I'm not a flubbies fan (no offense to those who feel differently, merely another shot at the lovable loser mentality that pervades the "Worlds Largest Beer Garden".)

irish rover
01-30-2002, 03:41 PM
voodoo, that's why I posted this, no offense to any one, but I was reading the cub board for entertainment and they had a thread talking about favorite cub games and some of these people were picking games that the cubs lost. I guess there are times when a loss me enjoyable

ScottyTheSoxFan
01-30-2002, 03:51 PM
voodoo - i was at that game. What a great day. I remember exiting a Sox fan had found another cubbie bear and was dragging it through the street, right thru the horse manure and everything!

Cheryl
01-30-2002, 04:01 PM
It's not that I think 'cute' is acceptable at the ballpark--especially when 'cute' becomes more important than winning--but it's stuff like gleefully dismembering teddy bears that makes Flubbie fans stay away from our ballpark.

Which is a really good thing. :smile:

Cheryl
01-30-2002, 04:05 PM
I forgot to tell you about my all time favorite game I attended in person: July 1, 1990. Greg Hibbard vs Andy Hawkins.

I don't think I've ever laughed longer or harder in my life.

Kilroy
01-30-2002, 04:20 PM
I think my favorite all time was four years ago. It was the first game I went to w/ my older brother that we were both old enuf to remember well. He's 6 years older than me, and has lived in Hawaii for the last 17 or so years so we don't see each other as much as we'd like. It had been about 4 years at that time. He came for a week and all we did was shoot hoops and go to Sox games. He got off the plane at about 4:30 in the afternoon, and we didn't even go home. Straight to Comiskey for the game vs KC. We slipped into the seats on the Sox dugout, and managed to stay there all night. Ice cold Miller, and a pretty good game that was tied going into the bottom of the 9th. The Big Hurt delivered a game winning homerun, and we went home drunk and happy.

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
It's not that I think 'cute' is acceptable at the ballpark--especially when 'cute' becomes more important than winning--but it's stuff like gleefully dismembering teddy bears that makes Flubbie fans stay away from our ballpark.

Which is a really good thing. :smile:

Yeah, I know, ain't it grand to watch the yuppies flee in panic when the big bad working stiffs from the SS get to drinking, shouting and having fun?

Another favorite game was from the late summer of 1994 (maybe 93, I can't remember). I have season tickets to the Bears and me and my ticket buddy were going to go to a Saturday night pre-season game. He's a flubbie fan and he went to a flubbies game with rooftop seats that afternoon. He shows up at my place about 4:30 half drunk. The Bears game started at 7:05, but a friend of mine who is a concierge at a hotel called me and said she had free umpire-seat tickets to the Sox game (6:00 start). Alex Fernandez was pitching, and the seats were right behind home plate. My friend wanted to go to the Bears game, but I told him that we would leave in time to catch the second half and after all it was only preseason. He reluctantly agreed. We jammed down to Comiskey and watched the game. Alex was on fire and he mowed down the opponents all night long. The game was entering the top of the ninth at 8:10 as we were starting to walk out. Alex had thrown a 3 hitter and consistently been ahead in the count 1-2 or 0-2 all night long. We walked inside the long way around to the left field corner so as we left the stadium at 8:20 the game was 2 strikes from being over.

We made last call (5 minutes into the third quarter) at Soldier Field and slid into some 40 YL seats to watch the second half. It was fun to go to both games on the same day, but my buddy had been to three live sporting events on the same day. You cannot do that anywhere else in the world...

pearso66
01-30-2002, 05:17 PM
there were 2 favorite games of mine that i went to, they were both the year of 2000. the first was the game against the Twins, in which they were down coming into the 9th. there were 2 outs, and lee was at first, and who does manuel bring in to pinch hit, but jeff abbott, my uncle and i were about to cry, its like, who brings in jeff abbott, that guy hasnt done anything. the 2nd or 3rd pitch, boom, over the left field wall, game won. we went crazy, i actually ended up losing my voice after the game was over.

the 2nd was the first game against the yankee's after the road sweep of the indians and the same yankees. we were sitting down the right field line in the upper deck. the sox got out to an early lead, and then there was a rain delay. an hour i think, my brother uncle and i sat out in our seats, in the rain, we were watching the cardinal game on the big screen. finally the rain stops and they come back out, the yankees get the lead, and come into the 9th with rivera on the mound. Carlos lee led off the inning with a solo shot to tie the game. then with 1 or 2 outs, i dont remember, jose got a broken bat single, and then came around to score the winning run. yet another game we went crazy at, and as we were walkin out, the whole upper deck was chanting yankees suck, well except for the yankee fans of course. :) great games

FarmerAndy
01-30-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
there were 2 favorite games of mine that i went to, they were both the year of 2000. the first was the game against the Twins, in which they were down coming into the 9th. there were 2 outs, and lee was at first, and who does manuel bring in to pinch hit, but jeff abbott, my uncle and i were about to cry, its like, who brings in jeff abbott, that guy hasnt done anything. the 2nd or 3rd pitch, boom, over the left field wall, game won. we went crazy, i actually ended up losing my voice after the game was over.

That's one of my favorites too. We sat right behind the Sox dugout for that game. I think everybody in the crowd that night lost their voice. I don't remember the crowd being very big, but that small crowd made as much noise as any sell out crowd could.

irish rover
01-30-2002, 06:39 PM
my favorite was last year when CLee hit that grandslam to beat those douche bags on the north side

PaleHoseGeorge
01-30-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Someone had a teddy bear hung in effigy. Some flubby fan snatched it to save it and boy that was a mistake.

I was at a Sox/Cubs game at Comiskey in '97. A Sox fan had Cubbie bear tied with a noose around its neck. He and his friends were taking turns swinging it sadistically above their heads. Great fun!

Finally one of them (obviously fully liquored up), walked all the way down the aisle, dramatically swung the Cubbie Bear above his head, and then launched into the left field corner.

The ball girl ran out to get it while the game was delayed. She picks it up, begins running back to here stool, and then she starts swinging the bear above her head, too. It was hysterical! The whole left field corner went absolutely nuts.

One of my fondest memories at Comiskey, especially since the Sox won, too.

doublem23
01-31-2002, 05:06 PM
MY FAVORITE GAME! (http://www.chicagosports.com/content/story/0,1984,76093,00.html)

WHAT A GAME! My brother (a Cub fan) and I went, and we were in the LAST row of the upper deck behind home plate, so ALL the way down, he heard Sox fans (including myself) chanting such things as "CUBS SUCK!" and "SWEEP! SWEEP!" (b/c the Sox had swept the Cubs at Wrigley earlier)... man, he was on the verge of tears when we finally got on the train to go back home.

I'm so sick. :smile: