PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/11/06

Hangar18
05-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Fred Mitchell gives a shout out to WSI regarding a little known SOX fact (we were calling the Media Lazy). But he backhandedly reminds everyone that the Cubs are winning in the stands and his article talks about how Cub tickets are selling like hotcakes. Nice.

The 1st place World Champs actually get a little more press today and cut into the big lead currently held by the 5th place Cubs.

Chicago Tribune:
4 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
4 cub stories
6 sox stories

Standings as of Thursday May 11th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 05, 5th place in 06
Cubs 393
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 05, 1st Place in 06
SOX 343

SOXPHILE
05-11-2006, 10:42 AM
You're going to LOVE this one Hangar: This morning, Mike North was talking to Steve Stone on the phone. Stone mentioned that he was driving from St. Louis, and was listening to Ron Santo interview a "columnist" from a Chicago paper. During the interview, the guy kept saying "when we get Prior, Wood & Lee back, then we'll see how we do in these games...etc..." Stone said he thought it was a bit odd that a member of the media, a writer for a competing newspaper, was refering to the Cubs as "we", as if he was a member of or a fan of the organization. North pressed him on who it was. Stone paused, and then North asked "Was it Kiley ?" Stone paused again, and said "Well, yes, as a matter of fact, that was his name." :angry:

Hangar18
05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
You're going to LOVE this one Hangar: This morning, Mike North was talking to Steve Stone on the phone. Stone mentioned that he was driving from St. Louis, and was listening to Ron Santo interview a "columnist" from a Chicago paper. During the interview, the guy kept saying "when we get Prior, Wood & Lee back, then we'll see how we do in these games...etc..." Stone said he thought it was a bit odd that a member of the media, a writer for a competing newspaper, was refering to the Cubs as "we", as if he was a member of or a fan of the organization. North pressed him on who it was. Stone paused, and then North asked "Was it Kiley ?" Stone paused again, and said "Well, yes, as a matter of fact, that was his name." :angry:

Mike "Yellow" Kiley ..............
has been PUNKED ...................

Dan Mega
05-11-2006, 11:03 AM
North pressed him on who it was. Stone paused, and then North asked "Was it Kiley ?" Stone paused again, and said "Well, yes, as a matter of fact, that was his name." :angry:

SHOCKING!

BainesHOF
05-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Hangar is doing good work here. With his actual numbers, the Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times can't blow off bias complaints as figments of Sox fans' imaginations.

To employees of the Tribune and Sun-Times: Please explain the story discrepancy. Your silence on the subject is deafening.

CHISOXFAN13
05-11-2006, 12:18 PM

LOL. That interview was gold.

maurice
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
a writer for a competing newspaper

This was my favorite quote from the interview. Stone actually said that the Sun-Times is a "competing newspaper" with respect to the Cubs. In other words, a well-known former Trib employee equates the Cubs with the Trib, and implies that he wouldn't be surprised if a Trib writer kept calling the Cubs "we," since they're really one and the same. The connection is so obvious that it didn't even merit a followup question.
:D:

maurice
05-11-2006, 01:26 PM
Here are a couple of gems from Mark Gonzales's most recent Sox Q&A (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/askthewriter/cs-060510askmarkgonzales,1,2528434.story?page=2&coll=cs-whitesox-headlines):
Q: What is wrong with your paper? The White Sox are the best team in baseball, Buerhle pitches six innings in a Sox winner and the big picture on the front page is of Kerry Wood, a 14 game winner who has been on the DL 10 times. Could you please tell me why? --Mike, Oak Lawn, Ill.

A: Sorry, Mike. I just cover the Sox.

Q: Why is there such hatred between the Cubs and Sox fans? Does it make for a better rivalry? --John Clennon, Chicago

A: After winning the World Series, Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf called for peace among the fans of the two franchises and said there was no need for the hatred. Let's just hope there's no property destruction at either park when interleague play starts soon.
:rolleyes:

Dick Allen
05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Mike "Yellow" Kiley ..............
has been PUNKED ...................I plan on e-mailing Handsome Mike. What a fool.

maurice
05-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Media Tool Joe Cowley is at it again. He goes to Bobby Jenks, asks him about his contract, and then runs an article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt11.html) on this irrelevant subject. Apparently, Cowley is too incompetent to understand MLB's compensation scheme, and/or the Sox history with players with less than a year of MLB experience. To his credit, Jenks said all the right things.

DMarte708
05-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Media Tool Joe Cowley is at it again. He goes to Bobby Jenks, asks him about his contract, and then runs an article (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt11.html) on this irrelevant subject. Apparently, Cowley is too incompetent to understand MLB's compensation scheme, and/or the Sox history with players with less than a year of MLB experience. To his credit, Jenks said all the right things. I've been saying for months upon months Cowley is a dirt slinging, Mariotti wannabe blowhard who only made his way to the Sun-Times by igniting controversy. This is what he's known for--scooping stories involving trouble within the clubhouse.

Honestly, I don't care he works for the Sun-Times. I care he's the person responsible for covering White Sox games. I'm tired of reading articles such as this mornings. I rather Chris De Luca have covered the White Sox and Cowley continued his methods next to fluffer girl Slezak. That is, 5 pages from the actual sports stories.

For every Playboy mansion story there's five concerning Guillen's quotes towards another player, contract situations, or some other form of discontent this organization is experiencing. I believe over time any doubters will begin to realize the true intentions of Joe Cowley. He may be a White Sox fan, but he knows what took him from a respectable south suburb newspaper to well-known metropolitan newspaper.

maurice
05-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I've been saying for months upon months Cowley is a dirt slinging . . . .

If you count his "work" for the Southtown, you can count the dirtslinging in years, not months.

ChiSoxLifer
05-11-2006, 06:57 PM
I've noticed for the games that I've actually tuned into, there are thousands of empty seats. How many tickets are being bought by their scalping agency each game? Nice job of artificially inflating demand. I remember that article where the cubs sold a record number of tickets in one day. I would guess at least half of them went to the scalping agency.