PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Contract question?

SouthSide_HitMen
05-11-2006, 03:26 AM
How much does a player like Haeger get? Does he get 1/173 (or however many official days there are in a season) of the league minimum or is he guaranteed a portion (or all) of the league minimum for being called up?

Blob
05-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Doesn't he get the league minimum for the rest of the year now? I thought I heard or read that once.

Not sure.

Chez
05-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I believe he gets the league minimum pro-rated over how many days he's on the 25 man roster -- unless he's got some other provision in his contract giving him more than the minimum (unlikely for Charlie).

ondafarm
05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Actually, I think he was on the roster for two days, so he'd get two-one-hundred-seventy thirds (or whatever the number is) of the league minimum. Plus the travel per diem (twice), his major league clock has started and automatic consideration for playoff money shares should (when!) the Sox make the playoffs.

In Japan, most teams gave handshake money as well, an amount of money to offset unique expenses when first arriving in the bigs, things like breaking a lease, new apartment deposit, etc. I doubt Charlie even smelt that.

Occasionaly, the players would take a small collection and give that to new rookies just called up. Married men got that more often than single guys. Charlie is single. ((I always found that to be an unsubtle message to stop being so choosy.))

samram
05-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Actually, I think he was on the roster for two days, so he'd get two-one-hundred-seventy thirds (or whatever the number is) of the league minimum. Plus the travel per diem (twice), his major league clock has started and automatic consideration for playoff money shares should (when!) the Sox make the playoffs.

In Japan, most teams gave handshake money as well, an amount of money to offset unique expenses when first arriving in the bigs, things like breaking a lease, new apartment deposit, etc. I doubt Charlie even smelt that.

Occasionaly, the players would take a small collection and give that to new rookies just called up. Married men got that more often than single guys. Charlie is single. ((I always found that to be an unsubtle message to stop being so choosy.))

Do players actually get per diem when they're at home? If so, that's awesome. I guess I can understand Haeger getting it since he was called up, but do guys on the 25 man roster usually get it?

BRDSR
05-11-2006, 01:46 PM
In Japan...

Cool! I didn't know DJ posted on WSI!

ondafarm
05-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Do players actually get per diem when they're at home? If so, that's awesome. I guess I can understand Haeger getting it since he was called up, but do guys on the 25 man roster usually get it?

No, not usually. Haeger would get what we call a travel per diem for days spent traveling. Supposed to cover things like tips for luggage handlers (in the show you never carry your own bags), headset fees, cab rides, etc.

The last thing any team wants is a guy showing up at the stadium, supposed to pitch that night with a cabbie chasing him for his fare, or worse, calling from the clink cause he stiffed a cabbie.