PDA

View Full Version : River Toss with Buehrle

cheeses_h_rice
01-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Just got back from the river toss with Mark Buehrle. Of course, I was on the wrong bank (standing above the south bank, not the north, where Buehrle was), but it was snowing almost sideways out so I wanted to dash back to the office afterward.

Does anyone know who was throwing the ball? He was wearing a full Sox uni but I didn't recognize him as a player -- sort of dirty-blonde hair and a right-handed throw.

Anyway, he threw it over 3 times, and Buehrle caught the last one, then was surrounded by reporters, so I assume it'll be on Fox Sports Chicago tonight. There were only about 15 people watching, as the weather sucks today.

Dadawg_77
01-30-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Just got back from the river toss with Mark Buehrle. Of course, I was on the wrong bank (standing above the south bank, not the north, where Buehrle was), but it was snowing almost sideways out so I wanted to dash back to the office afterward.

Does anyone know who was throwing the ball? He was wearing a full Sox uni but I didn't recognize him as a player -- sort of dirty-blonde hair and a right-handed throw.

Anyway, he threw it over 3 times, and Buehrle caught the last one, then was surrounded by reporters, so I assume it'll be on Fox Sports Chicago tonight. There were only about 15 people watching, as the weather sucks today.

I was on the right side, but walk right past Mark. He was wearing his jersey and jeans, thought he was a fan. Saw the guy warming up, thought for second it was Mark then realize he was a righty. The guy might of been the Sox OF coach of something. Some other Sox PR (I think made the first two catches) and mark did the thrid. Fox Sports net, ESPN radio and I think NBC plus couple other I didn't get were there.

phaedrus
01-30-2002, 03:22 PM
what was the promotion? I didn't hear about it.

Cheryl
01-30-2002, 03:25 PM
I thought that was Friday. Oh well. It's snowing too hard to go today, and it's supposed to be less than 20 degrees out Friday.

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I thought that was Friday. Oh well. It's snowing too hard to go today, and it's supposed to be less than 20 degrees out Friday.

I live north end of LSD (near Loyola) and it isn't snowing at all. Actually it just started and it is just a sprinkle. Got to go to work tonight downtown and not looking forward to the streets. Are they bad?

Dadawg_77
01-30-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I live north end of LSD (near Loyola) and it isn't snowing at all. Actually it just started and it is just a sprinkle. Got to go to work tonight downtown and not looking forward to the streets. Are they bad?

no not heavy in the noth loop, just some light sprinkles.

cheeses_h_rice
01-30-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

No, the snow is barely sticking, as the ground is still pretty warm. The streets are clean, too, but it *is* coming down pretty hard now.

Dadawg, I thought it was weird that the guy throwing the ball had on more Sox gear than Buehrle! But, he had a gun on him -- I'm not sure I could have been as accurate.

Phaedrus, I think today's event was to signal the beginning of SoxFest on Friday. Why they didn't do it tomorrow or Friday, I dunno...

irish rover
01-30-2002, 03:57 PM
I was there too, Gail fisher even with a hat on is hot, mark's girlfriend looks like Brittany Spires. The PR guy's name was Scott. Saw Bruce levine and a guy from Ch 7. of course GN wasn't there or at least I didn't see them. The guy throwing I thought may be the BP coach. I didn't wear a hat so I might get sick

cheeses_h_rice
01-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
I was there too, Gail fisher even with a hat on is hot, mark's girlfriend looks like Brittany Spires. The PR guy's name was Scott. Saw Bruce levine and a guy from Ch 7. of course GN wasn't there or at least I didn't see them. The guy throwing I thought may be the BP coach. I didn't wear a hat so I might get sick

Refresh my memory -- who's Gail Fisher?

And who's "GN"? Giangreco?

irish rover
01-30-2002, 04:26 PM
Gail is the Brunette that does pre and post game stuff

GN=WGN

Jerry_Manuel
01-30-2002, 05:28 PM
And who's "GN"? Giangreco?

:giangreco
I wouldn't be at a Sox event, unless it involved empty blue seats.

cheeses_h_rice
01-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I wouldn't be at a Sox event, unless it involved empty blue seats.

Hmm, why do I have this nagging feeling that Mr. G would make an exception for being at such a minor event if :shammy were involved?

LIVE from the blustery confines of the Chicago riverfront, it's Mark Giangreco, here to witness the THRILLING "river toss" to commemorate the beginning of the Cubbie Convention!!! What a thrill to be here, watching Sam-ME giving the fans a little pre-spring training chill!!!

Jerry_Manuel
01-30-2002, 06:48 PM
Hmm, why do I have this nagging feeling that Mr. G would make an exception for being at such a minor event if Sosa were involved?

Your 100% correct, he'd be out there.

irish rover
01-30-2002, 07:44 PM
story and pictures of the river toss

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020130_firstto ss_news&team_id=cws

Dadawg_77
01-30-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by irish rover
story and pictures of the river toss

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020130_firstto ss_news&team_id=cws

"This is one of the craziest things that I have ever done," said Buehrle, who was on the receiving end of a perfect strike from Bulls/White Sox Training Academy employee Matt Ingram. "(White Sox management) told me not to jump into the river if the throw was short or go chasing after the ball is it isn't thrown right at me."

--Well that answer that question

--Rover who where you? I was the big guy in the big puffy black jacket with the girl in the blue jacket standing next to me.

irish rover
01-31-2002, 12:10 PM
she was cute, I had a green coat on I was standing by the railing behind them