PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Relief Help

WSox8404
05-10-2006, 11:27 PM
Well the title just about sums it up. I know we are a fantastic team, but that bullpen scares the hell out of me.

TheOldRoman
05-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Well, this tag just about sums it up
:threadsucks

PAPChiSox729
05-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Well the title just about sums it up. I know we are a fantastic team, but that bullpen scares the hell out of me.

McCarthy is coming back. Neal is too. I think Cliff is on his way. Thorton was solid before tonight. Bobby will find his stuff again. Everything's gonna be alright.
:wink:

BeviBall!
05-10-2006, 11:31 PM
You live on the southwest side of Chicago and only the bullpen scares you?

:dtroll:

Edited teal.

WSox8404
05-10-2006, 11:32 PM

See this is the problem. People like you who refuse to see that there is a problem here. And belive me I am not a dark cloud type of guy. But results are results and we aren't getting that much from the bullpen. If it weren't for our starters we would be nowhere near 23-10. I am telling you that this is going to bite us in the ass a few more times throughout the year if we don't solidify it in the next couple of months.

WSox8404
05-10-2006, 11:33 PM
You live on the southwest side of Chicago and only the bullpen scares you?

:dtroll:

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

BeviBall!
05-10-2006, 11:38 PM
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

It's just a joke... don't get your feathers ruffled. I've lived there too.

Banix12
05-11-2006, 02:08 AM
It may scare you but at this time of the year there really are not any viable trade partners. The only guys available on the trade market at mid-may are players who have been problem cases for other teams or players nobody wanted for whatever reason. A lot of the time what is available at midseason isn't even all that great.

I think for the most part the bullpen will settle down but in say a month, if Kenny sees it as a problem, he'll fix it. Patience.

getonbckthr
05-11-2006, 02:19 AM
I'm just curious whats going on with Uggy Urbina? Did he get out of jail yet?

getonbckthr
um weird posted my comment 3 times this ws the second 1. Mods delete if can.

getonbckthr
um weird posted my comment 3 times this ws the third 1. Mods please delete if can.

Optipessimism
05-11-2006, 10:54 AM

How about this one:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:wqtIHsJ7ZfEuPM:www.detroitpublictv.or g/pressroom/raycharles/raycharles.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.detroitpublictv.org/pressroom/raycharles/raycharles.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.detroitpublictv.org/pressroom/raycharles.shtml&h=2100&w=2078&sz=1151&tbnid=wqtIHsJ7ZfEuPM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=148&hl=en&start=14&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dray%2Bcharles%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den% 26lr%3D)

Either you're just rude or you are blind. Obviously we need help in the pen (why would our GM keep picking up relievers if he thought we didn't need any) so there's no harm in making a thread about it.

Hitmen77
05-11-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm not too concerned about the bullpen.

Cotts - looking good
McCarthy - back on track after a couple of shaky outings
Jenks - I'm not going to hit the panic button over 2 recent bad outings. All pitchers will go through these stretches.
Politte - seems to be coming around
Thornton - recent bad outings have sent his ERA soaring, but I think overall he's been ok.
Logan - has potential, but maybe needs more time in minors. He hasn't been a total disaster.

Of course, I'm assuming here that Contreras will be ok and that Brandon will remain in the pen throughout the season.

Seriously people, what do you expect - for the Sox to have everyone in their lineup hitting .320, all 5 starters to have a 2.50 ERA AND everyone in the bullpen to be Mariano Rivera incarnate? I hate to break it to you guys, but our team is never going to be perfect and it's pretty much a lock that we'll lose at least 1/3 of our games this year.

drewcifer
05-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Either you're just rude or you are blind. Obviously we need help in the pen (why would our GM keep picking up relievers if he thought we didn't need any) so there's no harm in making a thread about it.

Agreed. Aside from Logan and Cotts, the pen is performing like ****. And screw waiting a month. We're the defending champs and if it means making moves now to keep winning games, then I'm all for it.

JR can afford to spend some $.

CashMan
05-11-2006, 11:07 AM
And the 1st trade that happens, I am sure people will start saying, We are giving the farm up!

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Did any of you follow the KC-Cleveland game yesterday? There are probably half a dozen CONTENDING teams that would kill to have our bullpen.

FoulTerritory
05-11-2006, 11:24 AM

Why does this thread suck? I don't see how the bullpen's recent struggles is not a legitmate topic . . .

Just because you don't feel like talking about it does not mean the thread sucks.

Chicken Dinner
05-11-2006, 11:26 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/4829.jpg
I'm almost ready!

DaleJRFan
05-11-2006, 11:27 AM
After lastnight, I don't understand, AT ALL, how anyone could complain about the bullpen. The bullpen wasn't the problem. Granted, the bottom fell out in the 9th, BUT, the offense scratched and clawed back from a 6 run hole. I'm fairly certain that had the game been 5-3 instead of 6-5, we'd be talking about a winner.

thepaulbowski
05-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Did any of you follow the KC-Cleveland game yesterday? There are probably half a dozen CONTENDING teams that would kill to have our bullpen.

What, don't be reasonable.

With the conditions the way they were in the top of the 9th, I don't know how they were able to hold on to the ball let alone pitch. When Thornton walked off the mound, it looked like he had been in a wet t-shirt contest.

Optipessimism
05-11-2006, 11:35 AM

I'm sure Cleveland would kill for even KC's bullpen right now, but what does that have to do with anything? Bad moves by Shapiro cost him, so what?

Just because some team with a ****ty bullpen would kill to have our average, not very dependable bullpen doesn't mean we shouldn't improve. We're the World Champs looking to defend our crown and we need the best bullpen we can get in order to do it.

Optipessimism
05-11-2006, 11:41 AM
After lastnight, I don't understand, AT ALL, how anyone could complain about the bullpen.

You don't? Keep thinking....

Granted, the bottom fell out in the 9th

There ya go!

I, just like many others here, have faith that Cotts, Jenks, McCarthy, and Politte will get back on track together. But what if they don't? We don't have anyone 'automatic' right now so I'm sure KW is looking for the closest thing he can find.

thepaulbowski
05-11-2006, 11:59 AM

There ya go!

I, just like many others here, have faith that Cotts, Jenks, McCarthy, and Politte will get back on track together. But what if they don't? We don't have anyone 'automatic' right now so I'm sure KW is looking for the closest thing he can find.

I'm sure KW is also thinking. But that thinking is telling him you are going to overpay to get anybody this time of year.

BeviBall!
05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Why does this thread suck?

Because it was the 89th thread started, on the same subject, in the last two weeks.

Mods - might I suggest a bull**** pen, combo thread, permantly stored here?

Hitmen77
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm sure KW is also thinking. But that thinking is telling him you are going to overpay to get anybody this time of year.

Exactly!

Remember our almost-trade for Griffey and/or Burnett last year? We were going to give up McCarthy in one of those, right? Anyone here sorry those trades didn't happen.

That doesn't mean we should never make trades, but sometimes the best solution is not to trade - even if your current roster isn't perfect.

Anyone remember the calls on WSI last year to dump Crede and trade for Joe Randa?:o:

drewcifer
05-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Exactly!

Not exactly.

We're not buying peaches in February here, folks - We're talking about keeping an eye out for relief help. If by overpaying you are talking about giving up someone more valuable than what you get back, that's just being stupid and is not going to happen. If you're talking about money, who besides Clemens, isn't already under a contract?

The point (IMO) is more about scouring the farm system (ours and beyond) and bringing up some options. Nobody is talking about going after Clemens.

There's room on the 25 man roster and further, I don't see anybody crying over Ross Gload getting walking papers...

This is an obvious kink in the armor of the defending WORLD CHAMPIONS and whether you choose to see it or ignore it does not detract from the subject's validity.

Once or 89 times.

Hitmen77
05-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Not exactly.

We're not buying peaches in February here, folks -

:?:

I read the discussion here as meaning we should go out and get some major league bullpen help - which we'll only get by trading someone more significant than Ross Gload.

The stuff you're talking about (scouring farm systems, etc.) is (I hope) a given. If KW & Co. are not constantly doing this, i'd be somewhat disappointed.

Now, please tell me more about the price of peaches in February.:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
I would be very shocked if Williams did not do anything however it's still early/mid May and it's alomst impossible to make deals at this point because most teams still feel they have a shot. In another month however some clubs will fall ten and twelve games behind and that's when the possibility for a trade partner starts to become a reality.

I don't think for a second that Kenny isn't concerned. I think he's doing what he can but his hands are tied right now by the month that he's in.

Lip

DaleJRFan
05-11-2006, 01:18 PM

C'mon man... you know exactly what my point was. Sure, the bottom fell out in the ninth but the offense was handed a 6 run downer after 4 innings. What the hell do you expect other than a loss? Yea, the bullpen sucked, but the story for me was that they faught back and almost pulled it off, BEFORE the bullpen blowup.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Why does this thread suck? I don't see how the bullpen's recent struggles is not a legitmate topic . . .

Just because you don't feel like talking about it does not mean the thread sucks.You want to know why this thread sucks? It's because it's the usual "We have to do SOMETHING!!!" thread without any concrete ideas of what. Unless you have a specific idea on what deal to make, it's nothing but handwringing.

thepaulbowski
05-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Not exactly.

We're not buying peaches in February here, folks - We're talking about keeping an eye out for relief help. If by overpaying you are talking about giving up someone more valuable than what you get back, that's just being stupid and is not going to happen. If you're talking about money, who besides Clemens, isn't already under a contract?

The point (IMO) is more about scouring the farm system (ours and beyond) and bringing up some options. Nobody is talking about going after Clemens.

There's room on the 25 man roster and further, I don't see anybody crying over Ross Gload getting walking papers...

This is an obvious kink in the armor of the defending WORLD CHAMPIONS and whether you choose to see it or ignore it does not detract from the subject's validity.

Once or 89 times.

***, I must have missed a meeting or something. Where did he say the Sox don't need bullpen help. Where did Ross Gload's name come from? Going after Clemens for bullpen help?

Let me spell it out. Most teams still consider themselves in the mix. Why would they give up talent unless you knock their socks off with an offer? Later in the season, once teams have started to fall out of contention, they are more willing to depart with the talent they have at a lesser price.

Optipessimism
05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
C'mon man... you know exactly what my point was. Sure, the bottom fell out in the ninth but the offense was handed a 6 run downer after 4 innings. What the hell do you expect other than a loss? Yea, the bullpen sucked, but the story for me was that they faught back and almost pulled it off, BEFORE the bullpen blowup.

I know what you are saying, but it still doesn't make any sense. The Sox were down 1 run going into the top of the 9th. It doesn't matter if the score was 13-12, 6-5, or 1-0. The fact is we were down by only one run and had a legit chance of pulling it out or at least tying the game and sending it to extras before the bullpen threw up all over the place. That should be cause for concern considering we are approaching a month and a half into the season and the pen still isn't reliable.

Chicken Dinner
05-11-2006, 03:26 PM
I know what you are saying, but it still doesn't make any sense. The Sox were down 1 run going into the top of the 9th. It doesn't matter if the score was 13-12, 6-5, or 1-0. The fact is we were down by only one run and had a legit chance of pulling it out or at least tying the game and sending it to extras before the bullpen threw up all over the place. That should be cause for concern considering we are approaching a month and a half into the season and the pen still isn't reliable.

And this wasn't the first time either.

drewcifer
05-11-2006, 04:28 PM

***, I must have missed a meeting or something.

I think so too. Let's see if we can pinpoint it.

Where did he say the Sox don't need bullpen help. I dunno... Who claimed he said we don't?

Where did Ross Gload's name come from? I brought it up in the point about having roster space and him as obvious means of making more.

Going after Clemens for bullpen help?
No. I said NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT GOING AFTER CLEMENS. That was a miss right there.

Let me spell it out. Most teams still consider themselves in the mix. Why would they give up talent unless you knock their socks off with an offer? Later in the season, once teams have started to fall out of contention, they are more willing to depart with the talent they have at a lesser price. Thanks for the careful and patient spelling out of the obvious. Besides, somebody else already made that point.

My post was about finding options now that ARE NOT contracted players on other teams (minors, overseas...maybe some DNPs). I think this was a part you completely missed.

Sheesh, slow your roll and suck your chest back in...

05-11-2006, 05:40 PM

I hate the "THIS THREAD SUCKS" tag and I wish it could be removed. Its a slap in the face

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2006, 05:46 PM
I hate the "THIS THREAD SUCKS" tag and I wish it could be removed. Its a slap in the faceThis thread does suck. In 35 posts, no one has offered a single actual suggestion. Nothing but a lot of wet pants.

Maybe you like this one better:

:chickenlittle

thepaulbowski
05-11-2006, 05:50 PM
My post was about finding options now that ARE NOT contracted players on other teams (minors, overseas...maybe some DNPs). I think this was a part you completely missed.

Unless you are talking about the Sox farm system, you are still going to have to trade for a minor league player from another team. And if that guy is so good, why wouldn't he be on the other teams big league roster already. Japan's baseball season is from April to October, how are you going to get anybody from overseas? The players are under contract. The only viable option at this point is to let the trade market shake loose, which won't happen for a while. Bringing in any more retreads in at this point in the season would be tough.

TDog
05-11-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm sure Cleveland would kill for even KC's bullpen right now, but what does that have to do with anything? Bad moves by Shapiro cost him, so what?

Just because some team with a ****ty bullpen would kill to have our average, not very dependable bullpen doesn't mean we shouldn't improve. ...

Baseball people coming into the season rated Cleveland's bullpen very highly, certainly higher than the White Sox. The reason that is relevant is that it shows how unpredictable bullpen pitchers are. Chasing after pitchers who have done well lately in the majors will get you pitchers like White and Koch.

Only desperate GMs give up much for a relief pitcher. With a few exceptions, you really don't know what you're going to get.

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Baseball people coming into the season rated Cleveland's bullpen very highly, certainly higher than the White Sox. The reason that is relevant is that it shows how unpredictable bullpen pitchers are. Chasing after pitchers who have done well lately in the majors will get you pitchers like White and Koch.

Only desperate GMs give up much for a relief pitcher. With a few exceptions, you really don't know what you're going to get. :kmarte Trade for me. I have a 2.79 ERA right now.

:keith No, trade for me. I have a 3.80 ERA right now.

:walk No, trade for me. I have a 1.69 ERA right now.

getonbckthr
05-12-2006, 01:59 AM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5385.jpg Bail me out of jail, I got a 0.00 era.