PDA

View Full Version : Well, I need to get this off my chest.

MikeLove
05-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Edit: I changed the color of the text that can be skipped to green. Its a long tangent about my sports history and can really be skipped without missing the point of the post. So feel free to skip over the green text if you want!

I've felt guilty about this for quite some time. Hopefully you guys can give me some affirmation or something.

Here goes.

I cheered for the Cubs relatively recently.

Now let me explain. Im 22 years old, and grew up Des Plaines (nw burb). I believe I was born to be a sox fan. My birthday is 9/17/83 which happens to be the day the Sox clinched in 83. When I was a kid growing up, I gravitated more to the Sox. I watched them on TV more, I collected more of their baseball cards. The only cubs stuff that I would get would be stuff from my Great Aunt/ Uncle (who i actually didnt really like) that lived on the North Side, and for some reason I remember thinking the cubs were always kind of trashy but i dont know why.... I pretty much always went to Comiskey if my parents took me to a game, I dont ever remember being at Wrigley when I was younger. My father grew up in Rodger's Park and my mother grew up by the Brickyard. My dad is actually the much hated "chicago fan" though he leans a little more to the sox side, my mom was a cubs fan but doesnt follow sports really and wasnt passionate about it or anything, ive definitely never heard her say anything bad about the sox.

A cool story actually is, I was with my parents at the park and we had really good seats, 1st or 2nd row in the area between the sox dougout and homeplate. Ozzie was on deck or walking back to the dougout or something and he tossed me a ball when i was probably 8 or so =) I wish I still had it but i never marked it and im sure i hit it over the fence in my backyard probably a few weeks later :redface:

I played baseball my whole life, from t-ball until sophomore year in highschool. I was always good, but not the best. For example, I wouldnt make all-stars until i was the oldest age you could be at the certain level, i.e. when i was 10, when it was 8-10 year olds. Probably because I was pretty small and wasn't fast. I had a good arm, and could hit alright though. Made the A team freshman year in highschool, got sent down to the B's with my buddy though "so we could get more playing time", and had the time of my life. We won conference but they didnt keep track for freshman b's so it wasnt a huge deal or anything. Didn't make the team sophomore year though and I cant remember if I continued to play outside of school or if i was too old by that point. I didn't really grow into my current size (5'9) until i was about a junior, i wish i would have stuck with baseball cause i could have had a shot at making varsity but oh well.

I also played football from when i was 9 through freshman year. I fell in love with football when I got to play on an organized team. I was better at football probably than i was at baseball. I played qb (starting) and when i was 11, i quarterbacked a team that went undefeated and was proclaimed to be the greastest youth football team the Mt Prospect football leauge saw in 50 years =P We decimated everyone that year. We ran a no huddle offense. This was possible cause I was really smart, not to brag but its the truth. Our defense gave up a total of over negative 100 yards on the season. Ive never been a part of such domination in my life it was really something.
Continued to play youth (won offensive mvp the next season :rolleyes:), got to highschool but once again I was small so I was on the B team. The first day we put on pads to hit, I was laying people out in the tackle drills cause i was one of the only kids to have played real football before. The coaches said "son, what position do you play on defense?" i said i was trying for cornerback, they said "You're a linebacker" So I played middle linebacker and was probably 5 feet tall =) Next year I didnt try out because again i was small and not especially fast. Wish i would have stuck with it cause when i was a senior, George Smith quarterbacked Prospect to the state title and I was better than him in youth football =P

Wow that got really long sorry... Continuing on... basically football was my love growing up (and still is, although baseball is really catching up) but i still loved and played baseball too, i just didn't really follow the MLB extremely closely. After the strike in 94 I was really pretty f'ing pissed off cause the sox were gonna win it that year, and pretty much stopped watching the mlb.

Well fast forward to 2003, Im a freshman in college at the University of Iowa. I bought a baseball videogame called High Heat 2004 for ps2 (which is still probably one of the best ever as far as giving a realistic baseball experience, but it's ugly as sin). Baseball season was about to start and I decided that I was going to follow it again. I talked to one of my friends from home on the phone and hes a cubs fans and i just kind of started following the cubs that year. It was easier to follow out of state, plus I didn't really even know the sox roster (all my favorites from growing up were gone basically). So I watched the cubs almost every game for the rest of the semester and then went home for the summer.

My cubs fan buddy calls me up and asks me if i want to go to a cubs-sox game that day cause they have an extra ticket. I say sure, and they pick me up to go to the game. This is one of my most shameful moments in my life. I went to Wrigley to cheer for the cubs. :whiner:

The game was a blowout, the sox won like 12-1 or 12-4 or something, Olivo hit a grandslam in the 1st but something happened that day. I was sitting in the stands at historic wrigley field trying to watch the game with a giant pole in the way, and i picked up on something. I noticed that no one around me was paying attention to the game. Everyone was on their cellphones, taking money out of the fannypacks to buy beer, or just chatting about yuppy stuff. The sox fans however really seemed to know what was going on. I basically decided right then and there that I didn't want to associate myself with a such a pathetic group of people like the cubs fans at wrigley were that day.

After that, I started watching the Sox more and more for the rest of the season. For some reason their games just seemed more exciting and plus they had a couple of guys I found out i liked. I was really a big fan of olivo's. The post season came around and I was pretty indifferent to the Cubs. I remember sitting in my apartment watching game 6 and I said to myself "wow, the cubs have everything going their way. They are actually going to make it to the World Series. This is something that i never expected to see in my lifetime" Then the choke of all chokes happened lol.

So starting in 2004 then it was all sox for me. I also developed an intense hate for cubs fans. Out here at Iowa every dbag fratboy from naperville is a cubs fan, and they really are pretty pathetic. Plus I almost got suckered in to being a "cubs" fan. I just identified with the sox more, and rarely miss a game. Im a huge sox fan now, and turned my girlfriend into one too (she never watched baseball before) , i go to games as much as I can whenever Im back in chicago. My uncle offered me tix to a cubs game for free last year and i turned them down.

I just feel guilty about rooting for the cubs for half a season in 2003. Its definitely one of the low points of my life. I feel like my Sox fandom is forever marred by that period of time. I think im a great fan of the sox though and im pretty knowledgeable and behave myself at the games etc...

I defend myself by saying, it was right when i started watching baseball again and i was out of state, but i still feel the shame when i think about it. Do you guys forgive me for my 6 month brain lapse? Can I consider myself a true sox fan?

PS. wow sorry this was sooooooo long, hopefully someone reads it!

mccoydp
05-10-2006, 07:41 PM
After that post, you need some of this:

:prozac

batmanZoSo
05-10-2006, 07:41 PM
I might be interested in purchasing the Cliff's Notes for this post.

HotelWhiteSox
05-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior thesis ey?

QCIASOXFAN
05-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Man thats a novel!

likeawarlord
05-10-2006, 08:02 PM
you might consider reposting it with more of the text in green...

LuvSox
05-10-2006, 09:00 PM
Short attention span theater needed.

1951Campbell
05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
http://barcia.org/mariano/uploaded_images/zep-723175.jpg
"Ramble on...."

Iwritecode
05-10-2006, 10:15 PM
The game was a blowout, the sox won like 12-1 or 12-4 or something, Olivo hit a grandslam in the 8th but something happened that day. I was sitting in the stands at historic wrigley field trying to watch the game with a giant pole in the way, and i picked up on something. I noticed that no one around me was paying attention to the game. Everyone was on their cellphones, taking money out of the fannypacks to buy beer, or just chatting about yuppy stuff. The sox fans however really seemed to know what was going on. I basically decided right then and there that I didn't want to associate myself with a such a pathetic group of people like the cubs fans at wrigley were that day.

There are at least 2 other members here with a story eerily similar to yours. Sit in the stands at Wrigley field. Look around and realize your surrounded by idiots. Vow to root for the Sox.

Works for me. :cool:

MikeLove
05-10-2006, 10:19 PM
whoops i meant to write 1st inning, not 8th

BeviBall!
05-10-2006, 10:34 PM
I'll wait for the movie.

ChiSoxLifer
05-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi, my name's Mike and I used to be a cubs fan...

(sympathetic clap)

MikeLove
05-10-2006, 11:08 PM
heh. ive never actually thought of the possibility that i was cubs fan. I mean i never bought any cubs stuff ever, i think of it more along the lines of liking the cubs or rooting for the cubs for about 6 months. To actually consider the possibility that i could have been known as a "cubs fan", is disturbing to say the least :(:

anyone my age care to comment on the degree of rivalry between the cubs and the sox in their lifetime? Maybe my situation is a rare case, but i never really witnessed any cubs/sox stuff until the last maybe 5 years or so. When I try to remember of what it was like when I was younger, I cant really seem to recall kids really declaring themselves cubs or sox fans and all that. But now, even for my little brother who is 12, cubs vs sox allegiance is kinda a big deal. Maybe i just dont remember it, but the dislike for the other side seems to of gone to another level

fusillirob1983
05-10-2006, 11:16 PM
heh. ive never actually thought of the possibility that i was cubs fan. I mean i never bought any cubs stuff ever, i think of it more along the lines of liking the cubs or rooting for the cubs for about 6 months. To actually consider the possibility that i could have been known as a "cubs fan", is disturbing to say the least :(:

anyone my age care to comment on the degree of rivalry between the cubs and the sox in their lifetime? Maybe my situation is a rare case, but i never really witnessed any cubs/sox stuff until the last maybe 5 years or so. When I try to remember of what it was like when I was younger, I cant really seem to recall kids really declaring themselves cubs or sox fans and all that. But now, even for my little brother who is 12, cubs vs sox allegiance is kinda a big deal. Maybe i just dont remember it, but the dislike for the other side seems to of gone to another level

I only knew a couple Cubs fans before the end of junior high for me (1998), so it wasn't even an issue. Then in high school I knew a few Cubs fans, but still very few. It wasn't until my sophomore year of college (2003) that I learned how many people, for one reason or another, preferred the Cubs, or bandwagon jumped, or tried to "be cool", whatever you prefer to call it.

mike squires
05-11-2006, 12:17 AM
My first baseball game attended was a Cub game in '82. (Although I don't really count that) It was rag ball day and I came home with a blue Cub helmet. I played in the back yard and for one summer evening I was a young Ryne Sandburg and Jody Davis. One...

gbergman
05-11-2006, 12:26 AM
i have to go with Batmanzozo on this where can i get cliffnotes

skobabe8
05-11-2006, 02:51 AM
I'm 26, and when I was younger (maybe 11 or 12) I can remember being shocked to find out that my best friend liked the cubs more than the white sox. To me, the cubs had dorky uniforms, annoying announcers, and were liked by either old people (my grandpa) or geeks.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-11-2006, 06:49 AM
The only thing your post was missing?

"Bless me father, for I have sinned..."

Now that you've purged, do you feel better?

ode to veeck
05-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Best Scrubs game I ever attended was against the Cards in early 80s, a see saw battle that went back and forth, and Bobby Bonds (yeah that skinny guy with great wrists) tied it up late in the game with some real clutch hitting and then with two outs, full count in the bottom of the ninth, Barry Foote hit a grand slam and the place went nuts ... "Forgive me father for I have sinned ..."

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm 26, and when I was younger (maybe 11 or 12) I can remember being shocked to find out that my best friend liked the cubs more than the white sox. To me, the cubs had dorky uniforms, annoying announcers, and were liked by either old people (my grandpa) or geeks.

:D: Some things never change :D:

tebman
05-11-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm not your age but I was 30 years ago! :tongue:

I can offer some insight into your question, though. If you're 22, then your understanding of the Sox/Cubs dynamic is colored entirely by the Tribune's ownership and the character of the neighborhood around Wrigley Field. The Tribune bought the Cubs from the Wrigley family in 1981 because, ironically, the Tribune was worried about the growing strength of the White Sox and their media-savvy owners. The Tribune was worried about losing the Cubs from WGN and WGN-TV, so the team was bought as a broadcast program.

Around that same time, the neighborhood in Lakeview was changing from tired and seedy to upscale and cool as more and more Young Urban Professionals moved to the city. The Tribune saw a marketing opportunity and jumped on it, selling the Wrigley Field Experience and falling into some luck by winning the division in 1984. They've never looked back.

You and your contemporaries have been bombarded with the Desirable-and-Attractive-Cub-Fan myth vs. the Gritty-and-Scary-Sox-Fan myth for the last 22 years. So there's been a harder polarization over that time between Sox and Cub fans, driven by the Tribune's marketing strategy.

But as your experience demonstrates, clear-thinking people can rise above sham and demagoguery. :cool: