PDA

View Full Version : Joe "The Show"

GregoryEtc
05-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Joe Crede needs a nickname. He's developing into the type of player that someday we will tell our grandchildren about, like my Dad told me about Brooks Robinson. Going back to last post season, Joe Crede has looked like a man on a mission and he's quickly becoming one of the real greats in this league.

Far be it from me to deprive Hawk Harrelson, the master of all nicknames, the opportunity to attach one to Joe, but it seems as though every night Joe puts on a show and he does it without being a show-off. He plays hard every night and is becoming a fan favorite and a favorite on the sports highlight shows.

Secondly, I think that the way he plays the game is an inspiration to all the youngsters who are witnessing his stellar defensive prowess and his vastly improved offensive surge. He is really showing us all how itís done, and doing it with class.

Also, as we all know, Joe Crede is a native of the great state of Missouri, which is known as the Show-Me State. I am not sure I understood that moniker until Joe started showing me what heís capable of.

Finally, like any great show, this one is known for finishing in dramatic fashion. What is a show without a grand finale?

It's for those reasons that I think the perfect nickname for Joe Crede is "The Show". What do you think?

Now let's sit back, relax, strap it down and enjoy The Show.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/crede_2.jpg
Joe "The Show" Crede

drewcifer
05-10-2006, 07:46 PM
It's for those reasons that I think the perfect nickname for Joe Crede is "The Show". What do you think?

I think Joe "I'll make your parents cry of your failure to excel anywhere near to my level of greatness" Crede is worth considering....

Not too lengthy, is it?

TheDarkGundam
05-10-2006, 07:50 PM
In a thread a little while ago I thought we should bring back Olde Tyme nicknames like they had in the '20s.
I suggested Joe "Pants" Crede.
I think yours is better. You should send it to the Hawk during the game tonight.

GregoryEtc
05-10-2006, 07:52 PM
I've sent it to him and then I realized that the game is on "the U" tonight so i won't get the Chicago feed here in Meeechigan. Let me know if he mentions it.

Thanks.

(mods, can you please move this to the Clubhouse? I posted this in the parking lot like a noob.)

shes
05-10-2006, 08:21 PM
I simply call him "Joe Clutch."

batmanZoSo
05-10-2006, 08:28 PM
I like these three:

Pants Crede.
Swede Anderson.
Jim "****ing" Thome.

SoxEd
05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I tend, in a 'half teal' kinda way, to call him 'Joltin' Joe Crede...

Now, I know he ain't no DiMaggio, but he sure seems to come through for us in the clutch, and his D ain't bad, either.

SoxEd
05-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Jim "****ing" Thome.

Props for your use of the most popular example of tmesis in the English language, but surely only non-Sox fans should refer to him thus?

Among us, shouldn't No. 25 be known by something more affectionate and reverential, such as Jim 'Thomer' Thome?

OK, I admit it - I only bothered to post this because it gave me an excuse to use one of my favourite words* - tmesis. So sue me!
Why do I like it?
What other word in the English language starts with the letters "tm", huh?
Answer: NONE!

* Other favourite words of mine include 'plinth', elbow', and 'pert'.

RememberDaAlomar
05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
I've called him Kid Clutch for a few seasons now.

batmanZoSo
05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Props for your use of the most popular example of tmesis in the English language, but surely only non-Sox fans should refer to him thus?

Among us, shouldn't No. 25 be known by something more affectionate and reverential, such as Jim 'Thomer' Thome?

OK, I admit it - I only bothered to post this because it gave me an excuse to use one of my favourite words* - tmesis. So sue me!
Why do I like it?
What other word in the English language starts with the letters "tm", huh?
Answer: NONE!

* Other favourite words of mine include 'plinth', elbow', and 'pert'.

What the ... :roflmao:

Anyway, my suggestion said with gusto is an endearing nickname, in a he's a badass kind of way. And yes, fans of other teams could use it too but in a much different tone.

CLR01
05-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Pass.

Joe Crede works just fine. Leave the stupid nicknames for the teams that have nothing else.

QCIASOXFAN
05-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I think I have heard Hawk babble at somepoint about calling him "Clutch Crede" or something like that but did not want to jinx anyhting with the name.

ChiSoxGirl
05-10-2006, 11:20 PM
During tonight's broadcast, DJ referred to Crede as "Joe Joe, the late-inning hero" a couple times.

SweetnesSox
05-10-2006, 11:21 PM
tmesis

how do you pronounce that?

LuvSox
05-10-2006, 11:23 PM
how do you pronounce that?

The S is silent.

SweetnesSox
05-10-2006, 11:26 PM
:rolling: :rolling: The S is silent.

RowanDye
05-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Hawk kept calling him "Suck em' up Joe" last night...I hope that doesn't continue.

I kind of like "The Show"....or just Joe "Clutch" Crede

voodoochile
05-11-2006, 02:04 AM
How about LTP? :D:

Or of course, Bazooka Joe. Both of those seem to be available at the moment.

I vote for greedy because it's the way he approaches every aspect of the game recently. He seems to take it personally if a baseball gets fielded by anyone else on the left side of the field and he's definitely been greedy at the plate recently, taking absolutely everything that comes his way.

Oh and of course next Winter we are going to see just how greedy he is when his contract comes up for arbitration...

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Brooks Jr.

ode to veeck
05-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Pass.

Joe Crede works just fine. Leave the stupid nicknames for the teams that have nothing else.

Yeah, what he said.

Clutch Crede is about as far as I go.

ode to veeck
05-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Brooks Jr.

No kidding, best I've seen at the hot corner since.

jenn2080
05-11-2006, 09:17 AM
I call him Rally Crede.

Def better then what I heard the other day at the game. Someone was calling him JC. Hmmmm didnt know Jesus played baseball

manders_01
05-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I call him Mr. Clutch or Joe Crede. I usually call the players by their full names - don't ask me why - habit I guess.

D. TODD
05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
I simply call him "Joe Clutch." Same here. JOE CLUTCH!

Hangar18
05-11-2006, 10:39 AM
My Cousin, became the BIGGEST Joe Crede fan in September and October.
He was livid that Joe didnt get the MVP in the Series. HE came up with the best name ever .............. and we've been calling him this ever since.

The name?
October Joe

RedHeadPaleHoser
No kidding, best I've seen at the hot corner since.

I think we leave all nicknames to Hawk. No teal, I am dead serious.

We got the Big Hurt, Black Jack, El Caballo, One Dog, etc from him...and if you noticed, those names kind of stuck nationally ( I KNOW I've heard C Lee called El Caballo on FSN and ESPN). Let's leave the nicknames to him.

voodoochile
I call him Rally Crede.

Def better then what I heard the other day at the game. Someone was calling him JC. Hmmmm didnt know Jesus played baseball

Are you saying Jesus couldn't hit a curveball?

LuvSox
05-11-2006, 10:44 AM

You beat me to it. :D:

wilburaga
05-11-2006, 11:16 AM

Keeping with the deity theme, how about Apollo Crede???

W

fuzzy_patters
05-11-2006, 11:41 AM
I always call him "Smokin' Joe." As for Thome, I always call him "Big Jim," and I sing the chorus to the Jim Croce song everytime he hits a homerun. "You don't mess around with Jim!"

stl_sox_fan
05-11-2006, 11:56 AM
I call him Rally Crede.

You've been hanging out at SoxTalk haven't you????

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/uploads/post-127-1127192675.gif

ShoelessJoeS
05-11-2006, 11:57 AM
My vote goes to Captain Clutch, or Joe Clutch Crede

Berkules
05-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Not to be a grammar gremlin but I thought tmesis was like absof---inglutely where you put a word within another word...like a whole nother and not putting a word within two words.

dictionary word of the day a couple weeks ago.

-up yer butt jobu

markopat
05-11-2006, 12:20 PM
How about jc (Lower Case of course)...

:rolleyes:

nedlug
05-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Since the word talk has kind of usurped this thread, I suppose I should tell you something my professor showed us before class one day - that the letter 'w' is used, however rarely, as a vowel.

cwm
crwth

look 'em up.

LuvSox
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
You've been hanging out at SoxTalk haven't you????

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/uploads/post-127-1127192675.gif

That's retarded

Corlose 15
05-11-2006, 12:29 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/96/C-barney.gif/222px-C-barney.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C-barney.gif)
"Joey Joe Joe!"

stl_sox_fan
05-11-2006, 12:56 PM
"Joey Joe Joe!"

Too funny. Joey Joe Joe Jr Shabadoo. That's the worst name I've ever heard Homer!

oeo
05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
Uhm...he already has a nickname: The Comet.

Don't force it, let it come. Hawk has come up with great nicknames; he'll get caught up in the moment some time and something will come out.

batmanZoSo
05-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Not to be a grammar gremlin but I thought tmesis was like absof---inglutely where you put a word within another word...like a whole nother and not putting a word within two words.

dictionary word of the day a couple weeks ago.

-up yer butt jobu

I think Jim ****ing Thome qualifies too, though it's probably not the most textboox example. The name Jim Thome is two words, but it's one name so it's "kinda" one word.

Berkules
05-11-2006, 01:30 PM
...but when Figgins booted that ball did anyone else think, "C'MON DORN! GET IN FRONT OF THE ** BALL! DON'T GIMME THIS OLE BS"

areilly
05-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Here's a few ideas:

Crede Clearwater Revival
Joe Dirt
Joey Pants
Smokey Joe
Joseph and the Amazing TechniCrede Dreamcoat
Joe-Joe Ma
El Seis
Joetime at the Apollo Crede
Apocalypse Now Credux
Joe InCredeble
Crede Bastard
Little Joe C.
Cap'n Scrap'n
Sonic Death Joey
Christmas Eve
Two Dozen
Cut That Mullet
Joseph, Son of Robin

The first one on that list is already in semi-wide use....or at least in semi-loud use when my friends and I are at the game. :cool:

Minnie Me
05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Here's a few ideas:

Crede Clearwater Revival
Joe Dirt
Joey Pants
Smokey Joe
Joseph and the Amazing TechniCrede Dreamcoat
Joe-Joe Ma
El Seis
Joetime at the Apollo Crede
Apocalypse Now Credux
Joe InCredeble
Crede Bastard
Little Joe C.
Cap'n Scrap'n
Sonic Death Joey
Christmas Eve
Two Dozen
Cut That Mullet
Joseph, Son of Robin

The first one on that list is already in semi-wide use....or at least in semi-loud use when my friends and I are at the game. :cool:

Joe Crede already has a nickname that Hauk uses frequently:
JOE CREDE!!!
Yep its the same as his real name. First time in Hauk History.

NickBam
05-11-2006, 02:19 PM
I call him "Clutch" Joe Crede, kind of like how they call Willie Park, "Fast" Willie Parker.

rdwj
05-12-2006, 08:14 AM
How about Apollo Crede :D:

popilius
05-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I call Crede "The Spider." - or "the Spyder".

He's like a spider over there at 3rd base- tall and spindley and quick, snagging everything in his way.

:gulp:

digdagdug23
05-12-2006, 10:02 AM
During tonight's broadcast, DJ referred to Crede as "Joe Joe, the late-inning hero" a couple times.

This reminds me of Jo-Jo the dog faced boy..........absolutely not.

We have begun calling him 'Credo' when he is up to bat. Last year when my 9 year old was learning all the players and had finally begun taking an interest in the Sox, (he is a slow learner, but catching up quickly) we were quizzing him. When I asked who the third baseman was, he stopped, puzzled for a bit, and then spit out "Oh yeah, Credo". When we picked ourselves up off the floor from laughing, it stuck. Every time he comes to bat, we always sat "Credo!" Makes Sean smile, and makes us laugh. Yes we are simple.

:supernana:

Spider doesn't work, everyone knows JD is Spyderman!!

PorkChopExpress
05-12-2006, 10:47 AM
How about Ted? He looks like a Ted.

TaquitoElGoocho
05-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Crede the Steede

34 Inch Stick
05-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Crede's Clearwater Revival.

miker
05-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Brooks Jr.
Sweet!:D:

...and for you youngsters in the audience, that name is NOT a reference to the Sox marketing V.P.

sox1970
05-15-2006, 02:26 PM
I've sent it to him and then I realized that the game is on "the U" tonight so i won't get the Chicago feed here in Meeechigan. Let me know if he mentions it.

Thanks.

Greg Sharp, you got your mention today.

miker
05-15-2006, 02:28 PM
After today's grab, I'm casting a second vote for "Brooks, Jr."

Go Joe!

The Dude
05-15-2006, 02:39 PM
I personally like Joe "The Show" Crede as a nickname but since Hawk didnt come up with it, I doubt it'll stick.

GregoryEtc
05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Greg Sharp, you got your mention today.

That's what i hear!!! anyone get that on tape by any chance?

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 05:21 PM
OK thats enough of all this. Joe Crede will be known as OCTOBER JOE

hi im skot
05-15-2006, 05:35 PM
That's what i hear!!! anyone get that on tape by any chance?

i do.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I usually refer to him as "Captain Clutch", or just "Cap'n" for short. In ALCS Game 2, just after he hit the game winning double, there was a shot of someone in the stands with a sign saying "Captain Clutch". If fit so well, I decided to keep it.

I want Mags back
05-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Im watching the replay of todays game on CSN and HAwk just called him "the Show". thats aawesome

soxinem1
05-15-2006, 09:24 PM
When he comes to the plate, I just say 'It's Joe-time!'

TheVulture
05-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm partial to "Jumping" Joe Crede myself.

Optipessimism
05-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Joe Mysterio because he moves around like a luchador out there.

A few others......

"SuperClutch"

"The Left Field Shield"

"Dr. Defense"

BackNBlack
05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Joe "The Show" Crede is my vote, it just has that ring to it that descibes him, pure entertainment to watch.

Tekijawa
05-16-2006, 05:15 PM
I vote for BOB! It doesn't stand for anything but I think Joe "Bob" Crede has a nice ring to it... Nice and Country!

pdimas
05-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Im watching the replay of todays game on CSN and HAwk just called him "the Show". thats aawesome

He said that a caller had called from Michigan (the name escapes me) and asked him to call him the Show. Then he chuckled.

chisoxlove
05-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Two ideas:

1. My nickname system...First two letters of the first name followed by the first two letters of the last name. Alter the pronunciations as necessary.

Joe Crede

JO CR

Alternative pronunciation: The Joker. Joe "The Joker" Crede

2. He's from Missouri (Postal code: MO)

Real simple MO-JOE

I think that both are solid, especially the second one. Many uses and meanings to it.

SluggersAway
05-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Ummm, sorry to burst your bubble, but that wasn't an example of tmesis.

VivaOzzie
05-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I think Joe the Show is perfect. He puts on one hell of a show just about every game. And its a lot better than what Hawk seems to be developing (Suck 'em up Joe). He really needs to let that one go.

1 Dog
05-16-2006, 10:21 PM
...how about "Show-Me" Joe Crede?

Joe could develop his own cult with Carl, and then he could just be "Jurassic Joe." That would make me very worried, of course...

For English literature buffs, how about Joe "the Venerable" Crede?

After appearing on a certain cereal box, Joe "I Get the Eaties for My Wheaties" Crede.

Okay, I was serious about the first one. :rolleyes:

Frontman
05-16-2006, 10:28 PM
I've called him Clutch since last season. Especially how he's come through big this season, I'd say that works for me.

Nicknames are fine and all, I just can't stand when the marketing guys get a hold of them. Its all right for fans to refer to them by nicknames, I just can't stand when they start the T-shirt/bumper sticker/Dance Remix crap. Sure, some nicknames will be with us forever (Pudge for example for the Sox, or Sweetness for the late, great Walter Payton) but I don't think any nickname currently being used will be "iconic" like those.

Front