PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehrle wants out?

Vsahajpal
01-30-2002, 02:37 AM
Williams also said Tuesday he has no plans to trade his 22-year-old ace, Mark Buehrle, despite Buehrle's apparent desire to play for the Cardinals.

Attending a sports banquet in St. Louis last week, Buehrle reportedly turned to Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty and said: "Anything you can do to get me here, I'd love to play for the Cards."

Buehrle, who grew up a Cardinals fan in St. Charles, Mo., ranked first among AL left-handers last year with a 3.29 earned-run average.

"I'm disappointed," Williams said of Buehrle's remark. "We are getting to a point now where our guys, through all the adversity we went through last year, have started to bond in a much better way. He's an important part of our future."

http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,173877,00.html

FarWestChicago
01-30-2002, 02:41 AM
:knue

That's right, you got it from my objective site. Nobody wants to play for the Smut...I mean White Sox.

:moron

You had it right the first time, George.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2002, 02:43 AM
"My only concern," general manager Ken Williams said facetiously, "is trying to get a little more padding on the center-field wall."

LOL!!!!!!!! Funny, but true.

Mark better not start whining about this crap. I'd hate to see him go.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2002, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

That's right, you got it from my objective site. Nobody wants to play for the Smut...I mean White Sox.

You had it right the first time, George.

:ass
"I hate the Sox too until the Cubby hype stops."

Mike North. you are the ass of Chicago. ARE you and farriotti related?

duke of dorwood
01-30-2002, 08:41 AM
Fine, I'll take Pujhols and Edmonds.

:KW

Dont I have to trade 3 pitchers at a time?

irish rover
01-30-2002, 08:41 AM
typical sulli not getting the facts straight. He makes it seem like Mark was talking on the side and wispered into his ear that he wanted to go. But according to the article I read in a St. Louis article he actually said kinda jokingly as he was accepting his award. But can't blame the guy either who wouldn't want to play for thier favorite team

Huisj
01-30-2002, 10:36 AM
Yeah, the article makes it sound like the Mo Vaughn thing where he was complaining and saying he wanted to go play for other teams again. I don't think that's the case here though. Especially when he was mentioned as being excited about the new season with the sox.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Fine, I'll take Pujhols and Edmonds.

:KW

Dont I have to trade 3 pitchers at a time?

I'll buy that. I just don't think KW is capable of pulling it off.

czalgosz
01-30-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
Yeah, the article makes it sound like the Mo Vaughn thing where he was complaining and saying he wanted to go play for other teams again. I don't think that's the case here though. Especially when he was mentioned as being excited about the new season with the sox.

Well, think about it from his perspective. If I had the ability to play Major League Baseball, and I was on, say, the Padres, I would be happy to be playing, and I have nothing against the Padres. But I would definitely rather play for the Sox.

FarmerAndy
01-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
"My only concern," general manager Ken Williams said facetiously, "is trying to get a little more padding on the center-field wall."

LOL!!!!!!!! Funny, but true.

People always talk of Rowand running into walls, but don't forget that Brian Simmons has been known to crash into some walls too. If the Sox are going to platoon Rowand and Simmons in center, then they should get ALOT more padding out there.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

People always talk of Rowand running into walls, but don't forget that Brian Simmons has been known to crash into some walls too. If the Sox are going to platoon Rowand and Simmons in center, then they should get ALOT more padding out there.

I love watching both of them in the field. I won't knock anyone for making a catch while hitting the wall. Just be prepared to see Borchard sooner then we think because of temporary injuries.

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I love watching both of them in the field. I won't knock anyone for making a catch while hitting the wall. Just be prepared to see Borchard sooner then we think because of temporary injuries.

Maybe that is the plan... Put two guys who like to run into things out there and that is the excuse they need to bring up Borchard, especially if he has a killer first couple of months in the minors. Personally, I agree with Kermit on this one. If Borchard has a good ST, he comes north with the team.

Iwritecode
01-30-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Well, think about it from his perspective. If I had the ability to play Major League Baseball, and I was on, say, the Padres, I would be happy to be playing, and I have nothing against the Padres. But I would definitely rather play for the Sox.

My thoughts exactly. I've often wondered how hard it is for those guys to grow up rooting for one team and then playing for another. My question is, what would I do with all my Sox gear (hats, coats, flags, cups, etc...) if I played on another team? That would suck. How hard would it be to grow up a Sox fan and then play for the Cubs or vice versa???

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

My thoughts exactly. I've often wondered how hard it is for those guys to grow up rooting for one team and then playing for another. My question is, what would I do with all my Sox gear (hats, coats, flags, cups, etc...) if I played on another team? That would suck. How hard would it be to grow up a Sox fan and then play for the Cubs or vice versa???

I think the competative edge kicks in and that stuff means less when it comes to playing a pro sport. Anyone who can play on that level has to have a pretty strong competative drive, or you just don't get there. At that point, the only thing that matters is winning (or, in ShamMEMEME's case, stats). Most of those players have family rooting for the team they are on, also, so when the whole family jumps ship, it becomes easier to root for your new team. It probably becomes more like a girl/boy we used to date (first love memories). A nice warm memory, a soft spot in your heart, but which means very little in your current life.

Iwritecode
01-30-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I think the competative edge kicks in and that stuff means less when it comes to playing a pro sport. Anyone who can play on that level has to have a pretty strong competative drive, or you just don't get there. At that point, the only thing that matters is winning (or, in ShamMEMEME's case, stats). Most of those players have family rooting for the team they are on, also, so when the whole family jumps ship, it becomes easier to root for your new team. It probably becomes more like a girl/boy we used to date (first love memories). A nice warm memory, a soft spot in your heart, but which means very little in your current life.

I'm sure that once you get there you do your best to try to win no matter what team you are on. If not you don't deserve to be there. I just know that if I ever played in MLB and was on the Cubs, I would never hear the end of it from my best friend who is a Cub fan. I know I would do the same if he played for the Sox.

OK, so we think we are still 10-year-olds... :D:

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 01:56 PM
OK, so we think we are still 10-year-olds... :D:

Actually, I am more partial to thinking of myself as 21, I just can't drink like that anymore (Thank God).

My Mom (65 and has Parkinsons) still thinks she is a teenager though. She got trapped in a outside stairwell (door behind her locked from the inside, one in front locked from the outside) a few years ago and rather than use the security phone right beside her on the wall to get help she climbed over a 7 foot wall with a clearance of about 12" and made it out. She ended up with a 6" diameter bruise on her leg for her troubles, but she made it. Needless to say, she got yelled at...

Parents these days, what's a son to do?

Soxheads
01-30-2002, 02:35 PM

I'm sure it's happened before, and I think it would depend on how strong of a fan you are.

nut_stock
01-30-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

I'm sure it's happened before, and I think it would depend on how strong of a fan you are.

I'd have a little fun with it. Let's say the cub's draft me. I pretend to like them, sign a few autographs, pretend to be a team player, not mention that Im a Sox fan, and hope that the team sucks, while I go on an absolute tear at the plate. The goal would be to be #1 in Cub fans eyes.

Now here's my favorite part. When I become a Free agent I publicly spurn the Cubs organization and their fans (coming to all as a huge shock and a real heartbreaker) Then I anounce my intention to sign with a real baseball team: The Chicago White Sox. I proceed with a well written essay in which I conclude that cubs management is lowsy and their fans our fools to put up with that crap while they have the Sox in Chicago. Then I sign with the Sox for a lot less money!!!!

and upon each return visit to Wrigley I dance around the basepaths as I hit homeruns onto Waveland Ave.

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock

I'd have a little fun with it. Let's say the cub's draft me. I pretend to like them, sign a few autographs, pretend to be a team player, not mention that Im a Sox fan, and hope that the team sucks, while I go on an absolute tear at the plate. The goal would be to be #1 in Cub fans eyes.

Now here's my favorite part. When I become a Free agent I publicly spurn the Cubs organization and their fans (coming to all as a huge shock and a real heartbreaker) Then I anounce my intention to sign with a real baseball team: The Chicago White Sox. I proceed with a well written essay in which I conclude that cubs management is lowsy and their fans our fools to put up with that crap while they have the Sox in Chicago. Then I sign with the Sox for a lot less money!!!!

and upon each return visit to Wrigley I dance around the basepaths as I hit homeruns onto Waveland Ave.

I can see the headlines now...

"Lying scumbag taunts loyal fans."

"I knew he wasn't true blue from the beginning... I just knew it man."

:boston
"He said he would sign with my boys... er... I mean the Red Sox, but he lied, lied lied... well we... er... the Real Sox won't be needing his lame homer hitting ass anyway."

:shammy
"ShamMEMEME saved baseball. Nut_stock was just a pretender. He proved he doesn't know the first thing about baseball. I do - it's hitting home runs and having the fans adore you. All Nut_stock wants to do is win. There's no place on MY team for that kind of attitude."

:giangreco
"The lovable losers were dealt a set back today when the evil nut_stock broke his promises to the fans and the city when he abandoned them to play for the enemy."

:tribune
(page 10 of the sports section)
"Ex-flubbie favorite run over by a Jetta today. Police have no clues."

voodoochile
01-31-2002, 01:14 PM
From the Sun Times:

"Buehrle already is learning what it means to be in the limelight off the field.

The Missouri native made what he thought was an innocent joke to St. Louis general manager Walt Jocketty at a recent function, saying he wouldn't mind playing for the Cardinals someday.

"But I meant some day in my career, when maybe I was a free agent and deciding among teams, it would be nice to play for the hometown team that I grew up with,'' he said, trying to correct reports that came out in the St. Louis media. "I didn't mean now. I love the White Sox. I love Chicago. I didn't mean anything about leaving Chicago.''

Not now, at least, when he's confident about the team's chances to recapture the American League Central."

FarWestChicago
01-31-2002, 01:35 PM
The Missouri native made what he thought was an innocent joke to St. Louis general manager Walt Jocketty at a recent function, saying he wouldn't mind playing for the Cardinals someday.:knue

According to my very reliable sources, he wants out now!!!

That's right, George. I can't believe the tabloid...I mean newspaper, that I work for would print garbage like that contraction! We all know every single player on the Smut Sox would love to come north and bask in the glow of our Savior Sammy!!!

MarqSox
01-31-2002, 03:09 PM
From the Sun Times:

"But I meant some day in my career, when maybe I was a free agent and deciding among teams, it would be nice to play for the hometown team that I grew up with,'' he said, trying to correct reports that came out in the St. Louis media. "I didn't mean now. I love the White Sox. I love Chicago. I didn't mean anything about leaving Chicago.''

Well, there goes any chance of a long-term White Sox star... what does that mean we have him for? Three, four more years before he runs off to St. Louis? Frickin' great.

pearso66
01-31-2002, 03:12 PM
im sure he'll stick with the sox as long as we have a competitive team, but later in his career, he might go there, or if the sox dont put up a competitive offer for him

nut_stock
01-31-2002, 03:19 PM
It will probably come down to whether or not Mark becomes real good friends with many of his teammates. If he does than I doubt he'd want to get up and leave. On the other hand if he thinks his teamates are pricks than Im sure he'll want out.

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Well, there goes any chance of a long-term White Sox star... what does that mean we have him for? Three, four more years before he runs off to St. Louis? Frickin' great.

How many stud pitchers can you name that have stayed with the same ballclub from their early 20s through past, say, age 30?

I can't think of many. Heck, I can't think of that many players in general who've stuck around that long. That's just not the way the game works these days...

hold2dibber
01-31-2002, 03:30 PM
I hope people don't blow the Buehrle comment out of proportion. So someday he thinks about maybe returning to his home town team. Big deal. If he likes his teammates and the team is successful, he won't want to leave. And if he continues to play at a high level, the Sox could always pony up with a long(er) term contract to keep him off the free agent market a year or two before he gets there (and subsequently each time his contract gets a year or two from expiration). So, in other words, all we have to do is trust KW to keep the team competitive and trust that JR to be willing to shell out good bucks and a long term deal. So I guess we have nothing to worry about!

(Note my first successful use of teal - I'm starting to get the hang of this!)

bjmarte
01-31-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
It will probably come down to whether or not Mark becomes real good friends with many of his teammates. If he does than I doubt he'd want to get up and leave. On the other hand if he thinks his teamates are pricks than Im sure he'll want out. Just one more reason to lose Royce the Choice.

voodoochile
01-31-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I hope people don't blow the Buehrle comment out of proportion. So someday he thinks about maybe returning to his home town team. Big deal. If he likes his teammates and the team is successful, he won't want to leave. And if he continues to play at a high level, the Sox could always pony up with a long(er) term contract to keep him off the free agent market a year or two before he gets there (and subsequently each time his contract gets a year or two from expiration). So, in other words, all we have to do is trust KW to keep the team competitive and trust that JR to be willing to shell out good bucks and a long term deal. So I guess we have nothing to worry about!

(Note my first successful use of teal - I'm starting to get the hang of this!)

If he'd shave he'd get some more endorsement deals and then he might want to stay for the money...

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 03:45 PM

If he'd shave he'd get some more endorsement deals and then he might want to stay for the money...

Yeah, but don't forget about his huge opportunity to sell horse feed and farm implements to the large Amish community in Indiana with his current beard...They will definitely identify w/ that!

voodoochile
01-31-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Yeah, but don't forget about his huge opportunity to sell horse feed and farm implements to the large Amish community in Indiana with his current beard...They will definitely identify w/ that!

I don't think the Amish have TV and Radio... maybe he can market to the grunge band scene... They have TONS of disposable income...

Tragg
01-31-2002, 04:11 PM
Buehrle needs to grow up. Pitching one season and then choosing the team he wants to pitch for? Sheesh.

hold2dibber
01-31-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Buehrle needs to grow up. Pitching one season and then choosing the team he wants to pitch for? Sheesh.

I don't think he really did that -- he just said, off hand and in a joking manner to the GM of his boyhood favorite team, that he'd like to play for them. I don't think he meant for anyone else to hear him (particularly not the press) and I don't think anyone should construe his comment to mean that he wants to jump ship now or that he thinks he should be able to choose the team he wants.

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I don't think he really did that -- he just said, off hand and in a joking manner to the GM of his boyhood favorite team, that he'd like to play for them. I don't think he meant for anyone else to hear him (particularly not the press) and I don't think anyone should construe his comment to mean that he wants to jump ship now or that he thinks he should be able to choose the team he wants.

I agree. The whole thing's been blown way out of proportion.

Nothing to see here folks, move along...

RichH55
02-01-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

Rough Crowd....an innocent joke nothing more