PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/10/06

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Toni Ginetti is a woman scorned. She wants to cover the Cubs badly and isnt happy that her bosses have sent her to the Southside to cover the SOX.
So she once again writes a story about someone else other than the SOX. Mike Scioscia. Nice. The Media and Cubs PR Minister continue to go hog wild and tell everyone that Juan Pierre "robbed" Bonds of a historic homerun (the ball was below the wall), and his defensive play was an amazing feat that will stand the test of time in Cub history.

"Pierre SOARED above the wall in the 5th inning tuesday nite to take away what wouldve been Bonds' historic 714th home-run" They make it sound like Pierre jumped over the wall, reached into the stands, caught the ball, and came back down on the field with it. He didnt do that. Note that in yesterdays SOX game, Scott Podsednik ACTUALLY DID JUMP over the wall, and brought back a would be Angels Home-Run. An AMAZING catch. Wasnt mentioned in the news today though. It was Juan Pierre all over the news this morning.

Unfortuneately, the SOX continue to slowly slide in media coverage, thanks in large part to the Cubs winning 3 games in a row back in April, emboldening the Chicago Media to ignore the SOX. Think about this for a moment.
The White SOX, from last season, thru the Playoffs, Winning the Championship, thru this seasons current Best In MLB record, are playing some of the Best Baseball this city has ever seen ....................................Yet theyre being ignored whole-heartedly in favor of fluff stories on ex Jones, Pierre, little punk Darren Baker, Injury Watches, Messiah Watches, Gnashing of Teeth over injured firstbasemen, towel tossing, throwing on flat ground, openly tampering with other player to acquire, available Oriole players, available Marlin players, available Pirates. Miserable.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in history to lead from wire-to-wire, and currently being the Best Team in Baseball, the White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves still lagging far behind in the all-important Media Coverage Category to a team that is currently in 5th place, finished in 4th place in 05, 3rd place in 04, is currently on a 8 game losing streak, since 1990 has ZERO 90-win seasons, since 1950 has only an incredible 3 90-win seasons, and hasnt Won anything of significance since the Roosevelt Administration. Truly Pathetic

Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
6 cub stories
4 sox stories
Standings as of Wednesday May 10th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 5th Place in 2005 Cubs 385
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, Best Record in MLB SOX 333

SOecks
05-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Expected, but still :angry::angry::angry:.

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Driving home last nite, it was interesting to listen to the Boers & Bernstein show on the Score. They were getting lambasted from callers and emailers regarding their 2 hour segment with Steve Stone the day before and the 99% cub talk they put on. B&B said they didnt purposely try to talk Cub for the entire show, it just happened that way, but that it was also a hot topic and felt it shouldve been talked about. A couple of emailers even ripped on Stone for not knowing enough about the SOX, basically saying who cares about the Cubs, the SOX are the best team in baseball. They spent the last part of their show explaining their reasoning and saying they want to be 50/50 cubs and sox on the show.

A caller mentioned that the Score shouldnt be catering to the other fans,
the Score is a SOX flagship station, and that WGN doesnt talk about the SOX EVER, and that someone called their baseball show to talk about the SOX, and they wouldnt take his call. Very interesting the flak they took
yesterday, and very interesting all of that was talked about on WSI first.

Dan Mega
05-10-2006, 11:18 AM
The thing that bugs me is, they made a big deal about Pierre's catch. I couldn't tell if it was going over or not. Regardless, if the ball is going to barely go over the wall like it would have with Pierre or Pods, major league baseball players are EXPECTED to make those kinds of catches. They should be able to jump and time it right. They're professionals. No sense making a big deal out of it, regardless if it was a potential-Bonds HR.

Another thing I noticed in this morning's papers. Unfortunetly, a tragic assault/rape happened on the north side. This morning at 8 am, the Suntimes.com said it occured in Wrigleyville. Since then, they changed it to being the 'North Side'. The Tribune has it as Rogers Park. It happened on 4100 N Sheridan. I don't know what that would be considered, but I think the media needs to get their facts straight of where it occured BEFORE they publish it. Pathetic.

jenn2080
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
The thing that bugs me is, they made a big deal about Pierre's catch. I couldn't tell if it was going over or not. Regardless, if the ball is going to barely go over the wall like it would have with Pierre or Pods, major league baseball players are EXPECTED to make those kinds of catches. They should be able to jump and time it right. They're professionals. No sense making a big deal out of it, regardless if it was a potential-Bonds HR.

Another thing I noticed in this morning's papers. Unfortunetly, a tragic assault/rape happened on the north side. This morning at 8 am, the Suntimes.com said it occured in Wrigleyville. Since then, they changed it to being the 'North Side'. The Tribune has it as Rogers Park. It happened on 4100 N Sheridan. I don't know what that would be considered, but I think the media needs to get their facts straight of where it occured BEFORE they publish it. Pathetic.

4100 is considered Wrigleyville/Buena Park.

daveeym
05-10-2006, 11:29 AM

Another thing I noticed in this morning's papers. Unfortunetly, a tragic assault/rape happened on the north side. This morning at 8 am, the Suntimes.com said it occured in Wrigleyville. Since then, they changed it to being the 'North Side'. The Tribune has it as Rogers Park. It happened on 4100 N Sheridan. I don't know what that would be considered, but I think the media needs to get their facts straight of where it occured BEFORE they publish it. Pathetic.Uhm not sure what the neighborhood would be but I'm pretty sure it's neither Wrigleyville or Rogers Park. That's a bit north of Irving Park.

Jaffar
05-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Henry, are you otherwise known as "Sean Salisbury"? He is on his new show on ESPN 1000 asking Bruce Levine why the crappy Cub team gets more press then the Best Team in Baseball, the White Sox.

SOXPHILE
05-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Driving home last nite, it was interesting to listen to the Boers & Bernstein show on the Score. They were getting lambasted from callers and emailers regarding their 2 hour segment with Steve Stone the day before and the 99% cub talk they put on. B&B said they didnt purposely try to talk Cub for the entire show, it just happened that way, but that it was also a hot topic and felt it shouldve been talked about. A couple of emailers even ripped on Stone for not knowing enough about the SOX, basically saying who cares about the Cubs, the SOX are the best team in baseball. They spent the last part of their show explaining their reasoning and saying they want to be 50/50 cubs and sox on the show.

A caller mentioned that the Score shouldnt be catering to the other fans,
the Score is a SOX flagship station, and that WGN doesnt talk about the SOX EVER, and that someone called their baseball show to talk about the SOX, and they wouldnt take his call. Very interesting the flak they took
yesterday, and very interesting all of that was talked about on WSI first.

Boers & Matt Abatacola were getting raked over the coals by that caller. I didn't agree with EVERYTHING he said, and I don't like this image that Sox fans just complain and bitch about all and everything relating to Cub coverage. But, he did raise some valid points, and the best Boers could respond with was "...It doesn't say Program Director on your business card". That was the lamest response I'd heard in a while. Boers kept trying to dismiss the guy's points, saying they can't just speculate on the Contreras injury, and don't know what's going on with Dye. The guy then said "Why not ? You guys speculate on what's going on with Wood & Prior all day long, everyday. You're a SPORTS STATION ! You're supposed to speculate, offer opinions on, and get information on this stuff. You do it all the time with the Bears & Bulls too." Boers was hemming and hawing, and basically had nothing to offer. Then, after the guy was off the phone, he cheapshots him and claims he always sends a bunch of profanity laced e-mails to them. It's funny how these guys are SO smart and have all the answers and we're all dumb, but when people confront them with some stuff, they wilt, and resort to name calling and ridiculing, especially after the person's off the phone and not there anymore to rebut them. (I'm sure Boers will go ask "his peeps" what the lowdown is on Jose, and then tell us he knew all along he was going on the 15 day DL, but just didn't want to say anything). Actually, that probably shouldn't be in teal.

jdm2662
05-10-2006, 11:40 AM
You have a better chance getting insights from the wall then you do from Boers. The guy is a dope and knows nothing about sports. There is a reason why I don't listen to his crappy ass show, along with pretty much everything else on the Score.

CashMan
05-10-2006, 11:43 AM
I have listened to B&B for about 4 years now, I get their show, I get the comedy, but it seems like all 670 can talk about it the Cubs. Ohh the Sox are the best team in baseball, what is there to talk about? I was a little angry with Boers yesterday. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE CUBS.

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 11:48 AM
I have listened to B&B for about 4 years now, I get their show, I get the comedy, but it seems like all 670 can talk about it the Cubs. Ohh the Sox are the best team in baseball, what is there to talk about? I was a little angry with Boers yesterday. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE CUBS.

I like the B&B show because they are usually ahead of the Curve when it comes to the Chicago Media and are the first ones to call out other members and the Trib when its warranted, but they are behind the 8ball here, theres NOREASON to be talking about the Cubs right now. The Score670 is FOOLISHLY trying very hard to win cub fans over. And theyre supposed to be the SOX FLAGSHIP STATION. Tune to WGN right now .......... you wont hear the word SOX for hours. Guaranteed.

Us: 1st Place currently, Best Record in Baseball, WS Champs in 05
Them: 5th Place currently, 8 game losing streak, 4th Place in 05

We should be getting 5 times the coverage, radio/tv/newspapers

itsnotrequired
05-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Uhm not sure what the neighborhood would be but I'm pretty sure it's neither Wrigleyville or Rogers Park. That's a bit north of Irving Park.

It is Uptown.

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
It is Uptown.

Nope. Uptown begins at Montrose which is 4400 north.
This was 4100 north, which is basically Irving Park, and the heart of Cubdumb.

itsnotrequired
05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Nope. Uptown begins at Montrose which is 4400 north.
This was 4100 north, which is basically Irving Park, and the heart of Cubdumb.

Nope, 4100 N. Sheridan is in Uptown.

Uptown is bordered on the north by Foster, the east by the lake, the south by Irving Park over to Clark. The western border is Clark up to Montrose where it cuts west on Montrose over to Ravenswood and then north to Foster.

jenn2080
05-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Neighborhood: Buena Park

Area: Mid North
Buena Park extends from Irving Park(4000N) to Montrose(4400N)
and west from the lake to the Graceland Cemetary

Uptown is 4800 - 5200

cheeses_h_rice
05-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Hangar, hate to burst your bubble, but technically the Flubs have had 4 90+ win seasons (since 1946, not 1950).

Yes, in 1998 they got to play one extra game, which they won, but technically they had 90 wins that year to go along with 90+ in '69, '84 and '89.

itsnotrequired
05-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Neighborhood: Buena Park

Area: Mid North
Buena Park extends from Irving Park(4000N) to Montrose(4400N)
and west from the lake to the Graceland Cemetary

Uptown is 4800 - 5200

A perfect example of a neighborhood vs. community area. Buena Park is a neighboorhood contained entirely within the Uptown community area.

Irishsox1
05-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I like the B&B show because they are usually ahead of the Curve when it comes to the Chicago Media and are the first ones to call out other members and the Trib when its warranted, but they are behind the 8ball here, theres NOREASON to be talking about the Cubs right now. The Score670 is FOOLISHLY trying very hard to win cub fans over. And theyre supposed to be the SOX FLAGSHIP STATION. Tune to WGN right now .......... you wont hear the word SOX for hours. Guaranteed.

Us: 1st Place currently, Best Record in Baseball, WS Champs in 05
Them: 5th Place currently, 8 game losing streak, 4th Place in 05

We should be getting 5 times the coverage, radio/tv/newspapers

WGN radio isn't a sports station, it has farm reports, annoying middle aged women and on the side has some sports talk and the flubbies. So they have some excuse for not talking about baseball. But they never talk about the Sox, other than the score.

However, Steve Stone not knowing anything about the Sox is unexcusable. Stone comes across as a obssed guy with a vendetta for the flubbies.

SoxFan78
05-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Im glad somebody brought up the Score this past week and their coverage. Monday was a complete Cub fest on the Score. I didn't get it at all. Sox won Sunday, Cubs lost, but all of the talk is about the Cubs.

And don't give me this crap about the Cubs losing is the bigger story. If the teams were reversed, I guarntee that the Cubs would be dominating more then they are now.

Also, when I heard on B&B that they can't speculate on Contreas' injury cause they dont know a lot about it, I almost fell in my chair. THE DAY BEOFRE ALL THEY TALKED ABOUT WAS PRIOR AND WOOD!!!

I wonder if the higher ups said something to the talking heads at the Score after Monday's broadcast because I think I heard about a half hour of Sox talk during the whole day, and believe it or not, most of it was during Murph's show!

Im listening to Rosenbloom and Salisbury right now and they are a good change thats for sure. Debating on why the Sox are getting buried in media coverage right now. Now Hawk is on!!!

Lets see if the Score can get their heads out their asses.

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Hangar, hate to burst your bubble, but technically the Flubs have had 4 90+ win seasons (since 1946, not 1950).

Yes, in 1998 they got to play one extra game, which they won, but technically they had 90 wins that year to go along with 90+ in '69, '84 and '89.

3 90-win Seasons since 1950. 1998 doesnt count, that was an EXTRA game they played. The season ended and they and the Dusty Baker led Giants stumbled thru September both with 89 wins. I dont Recognize their mediocrity with that extra game/extra win.

1946 may have been a 90-win season for them, but doesnt count in my statistics since im using a nice even numbered 1950.

Pretty soon, we'll have the Tribune adding all of the Spring Training wins they had in those years and ADD those to they yearly totals

cheeses_h_rice
05-10-2006, 12:38 PM
3 90-win Seasons since 1950. 1998 doesnt count, that was an EXTRA game they played. The season ended and they and the Dusty Baker led Giants stumbled thru September both with 89 wins. I dont Recognize their mediocrity with that extra game/extra win.

1946 may have been a 90-win season for them, but doesnt count in my statistics since im using a nice even numbered 1950.

Pretty soon, we'll have the Tribune adding all of the Spring Training wins they had in those years and ADD those to they yearly totals

Well, I was just pointing out that the official record gives the Flubs 90 wins for 1998.

Also, 1945 was the previous 90+ win season, so you can safely say "since 1946."

cheeses_h_rice
05-10-2006, 12:41 PM
And don't give me this crap about the Cubs losing is the bigger story. If the teams were reversed, I guarntee that the Cubs would be dominating more then they are now.

I'm totally with you 100% on this point. On what planet were the Flubs supposed to be contenders this year, anyway? Everyone knew without Pryor and Woods they would be hard-pressed to compete against the Cardinals and Astros, and with the hot start by Cincinnati, I can't imagine anyone thinking that they have a chance. The only Flubs story of note lately has been Derrek Lee's injury (and to a lesser extent Greg Maddux's decent start).

What the **** is there to talk about with that team? I swear, I turned on the game last night and I didn't even know who half the guys wearing the Kubbie Klown Blue were.

Lip Man 1
05-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Hangar:

You crack me up.

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL officially recognizes extra games as regular season games when it comes to a playoff. It has since playoff games were started. Check the records of the 48 Indians or the 62 Giants and Dodgers or the 59 Dodgers and Braves for example.

This wasn't something that was just done to inflate the Cubs record and their 'legacy...'

Apparently Hangar makes his own 'rules' at times to prove his point.

I'm still laughing at this one!

:rolleyes:

Lip

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Hangar:

You crack me up.

This wasn't something that was just done to inflate the Cubs record and their 'legacy...'

Lip

YES, Hangar18 does NOT RECOGNIZE 1998 as a 90win season for the Blue Corporation. A full-season is 162 games.
The SOX in 2005 are "officially" recognized as winning 99 games. Not 110 games. Therefore, I also "officially" recognize the 1998 "wild card champion" cubs as winning 89 games. Not 90.

jenn2080
05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
It is not very healthy to obsess about something you hate and for that fact should not matter. Dr. Phil would not approve.

SoxFanPrope
05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
YES, Hangar18 does NOT RECOGNIZE 1998 as a 90win season for the Blue Corporation. A full-season is 162 games.
The SOX in 2005 are "officially" recognized as winning 99 games. Not 110 games. Therefore, I also "officially" recognize the 1998 "wild card champion" cubs as winning 89 games. Not 90.

I think Lip's point was that you would lose that argument as the final authority on this issue, Major League Baseball, recognizes it as a 90 win season.

BainesHOF
05-10-2006, 01:28 PM
To employees of the Tribune and Sun-Times:

Please come on here and explain the story discrepancy.

Dan Mega
05-10-2006, 01:29 PM
MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL officially recognizes extra games as regular season games when it comes to a playoff. It has since playoff games were started. Check the records of the 48 Indians or the 62 Giants and Dodgers or the 59 Dodgers and Braves for example.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/history/year_by_year_results.jsp

I looked it up, and Lip is right. It IS recognized.

Hangar, to appease the Cubune's apologists (:rolleyes: ), you'll need to add in the disclaimer that the Cubs didn't win 90 games within a 162 game season in 1998.

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 01:30 PM
I think Lip's point was that you would lose that argument as the final authority on this issue, Major League Baseball, recognizes it as a 90 win season.

Let MLB be the "final authority" on that. I know that when I look at the "official" stats they put out for 2005, they dont add the extra 11 wins in 12 games on the SOX final stats. They only put 99. The SOX played an extra "12" games as a Playoff. The Cubs played an extra game as a playoff.
The Cubs are recognized for the 1 game? I dont/wont.

SoxFanPrope
05-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Let MLB be the "final authority" on that. I know that when I look at the "official" stats they put out for 2005, they dont add the extra 11 wins in 12 games on the SOX final stats. They only put 99. The SOX played an extra "12" games as a Playoff. The Cubs played an extra game as a playoff.
The Cubs are recognized for the 1 game? I dont/wont.

Could that be because before those 11 wins, the regular season ENDED. I think the rules are pretty clear that four teams make the playoffs in each league. If there is a tie, there is no way to begin the playoffs because the regular season is not over yet. Therefore, a regular season playoff game is needed to decide which team will go to the actual playoffs. Playoffs do not begin until the regular season is over.

The 1998 National League regular season was not over yet, an extra regular season game was needed in order to determine the playoffs. Most important question of the post coming here Hangar.... Would adding one extra 90 win season for the Cubs really diminish your argument as to which team has had more since 1950?

Dick Allen
05-10-2006, 01:38 PM
I agree with Hangar on this issue. Even though MLB recognizes this as a 90-win season, it was an EXTRA GAME. How many other teams would have 90-win seasons that they otherwise wouldn't have had if they got to play extra games. JMO.

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 01:44 PM
The 1998 National League regular season was not over yet, an extra regular season game was needed in order to determine the playoffs. Most important question of the post coming here Hangar.... Would adding one extra 90 win season for the Cubs really diminish your argument as to which team has had more since 1950?

Again. I dont RECOGNIZE that as a regular season 90-win campaign.
They and the Dusty Baker led SF Giants bumbled and stumbled their way to the finish line and both tried to out-crummy each other. Pathetic finish down the stretch. Somebody had to win that special one-game playoff. I just
dont credit them for a 90win season

longshot7
05-10-2006, 01:45 PM
In this argument, it's interesting to note that since all tiebreaker games are technically regular season games and not official playoff games, the statistics in those games count as regular season stats.

Example: If (and I know this is a stretch), Sammy had hit 5 home runs in that game, he would have been the single season home run leader, despite the fact the Cubs played 163 games that year and the Cardinals 162.

jdm2662
05-10-2006, 01:46 PM
In this argument, it's interesting to note that since all tiebreaker games are technically regular season games and not official playoff games, the statistics in those games count as regular season stats.

Example: If (and I know this is a stretch), Sammy had hit 5 home runs in that game, he would have been the single season home run leader, despite the fact the Cubs played 163 games that year and the Cardinals 162.

Greg Walker was credited for playing 163 games in 1985. I guess we shouldn't count his stats for the last game, either since it's only a 162 game season...

itsnotrequired
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Again. I dont RECOGNIZE that as a regular season 90-win campaign.
They and the Dusty Baker led SF Giants bumbled and stumbled their way to the finish line and both tried to out-crummy each other. Pathetic finish down the stretch. Somebody had to win that special one-game playoff. I just
dont credit them for a 90win season

More power to you but you should really state your claim to Cub fans as "In my opinion, the Cubs have had only three 90-win seasons since 1950."

Let's see how far you get with that.:redneck

SOXPHILE
05-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I agree with Hangar on this issue. Even though MLB recognizes this as a 90-win season, it was an EXTRA GAME. How many other teams would have 90-win seasons that they otherwise wouldn't have had if they got to play extra games. JMO.

That's kinda how I feel. Cub fans think it was a playoff win, but I always have to remind them, that, no, it was considered a REGULAR SEASON tie breaker game. So, yeah, they won 90 games that year, but they had an extra game to do it with. So I would clarify and say they won 90 games, but needed 163 games to do it. It's really nothing for Cub fans to crow about considering that aberration. Hell, maybe the Sox could have matched the Cubs and their 88 wins in 2003 if they played 2 extra games ! I wonder how many games they could have won last year had they played 200 regular season games ?

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 01:52 PM

YUP. and He wouldve had Commemorative HR KING issues, and for years, wouldve talked him up about what a hero he really was and the greatest hitter of all time and Chicago Media would ignore fact it took 163 games. Hangar wouldve then been saying Sammy record doesnt count, it took 163 games to set the record etc etc.

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
More power to you but you should really state your claim to Cub fans as "In my opinion, the Cubs have had only three 90-win seasons since 1950."

Let's see how far you get with that.:redneck

Actually I have used this in many of my Opening Salvos when defending the SOX. 98% of the time, Cub fans dont remember anything anyway about the cubs and dont challenge this. The 2% that DO say HEY we won 90 in 1998, I remind them it took 163 games to do it. They always and quietly acknowledge the fact.

maurice
05-10-2006, 02:10 PM
The Trib said that 4100 N. is "Rogers Park"?!? Rogers Park is 3 miles north of there. "Wrigleyville," OTOH, is only one block away.

Frater Perdurabo
05-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Hangar:

You crack me up.

I'm still laughing at this one!

Lip

Lip,

I really like and appreciate your insight, connections, interviews and information that you share with all of us. I thank you for bringing that to us. There are very few Sox fans as devoted as you are.

But when it comes to the media and Hangar, you're majoring on minors. You're too deeply invested into protecting your chosen profession and colleagues to admit that the media has a decided pro-Cubs bias. So you nitpick Hangar's accounting methods. Talk about missing the forest....

The White Sox just won the World Series. They have the best record in the majors. They have the best starting rotation in the majors. They have the second-best offense in the AL and the AL's current home run leader. They have colorful, media-friendly players like A.J. Pierzynski. They have an extremely enteraining and quotable manager. Meanwhile, the Cubs are a piss-poor team and get more ink about their INJURED players than the Sox do about their stars. If Thome was on the Cubs, the Tribune would publish daily counter of his home runs, and how he matched up with Bonds' record-setting pace from 2001. (Thome is on pace for 73 homers as we speak.) If Garcia or Contreras was on the Cubs, the Tribune would be anointing them as Cy Young favorites with full-page, color photos like they are with Greg Maddux. If Greg Maddux was on the Sox and was 5-1, he most certainly would not get such treatment. The Sox are kings, but the Cubs get treated like royalty.

Don't even try to blame Jerry Reinsdorf (or Rob Gallas). He's is the only owner in the last 88 years to bring a World Series Championship to Chicago. His previous ill-advised statements and actions do not warrant his team being treated as second-class citizens. Moreoever, if his previous PR gaffes ARE the reason why the media gives the Sox second-fiddle treatment in Chicago, it PROVES that the media holds grudges and allows those grudges to infect their reporting!

The only other alternative is to admit the fact that the Chicago media has been conditioned by the Tribune's status as the leading newspaper in Chicago to buy their BS propaganda and defecate it back out to the blind lemmings who eat it up like fudge.

It doesn't matter if the Tribune employs Sox fans in their sports department. Who pays their salaries? Who's stock fills their 401K accounts?

There's only so many times journalists can spit shine the turd that their colleagues have allowed their profession to become before their excuses are shown to be a festering mound of verbal diarrhea.

:cool:

SoxFan78
05-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Kind of off topic from the whole Cub 90 win thing, I did a little radio experiment.

Earlier on in this thread the Score was broght up and there were posts on how they have been talking ALOT about the Cubs, even though the Sox are the better team.

Well I just called up Murph's show to try and talk about how he thinks Charlie Haeger will pitch tonight. Ironically while on hold I heard a promo saying "Don't listen to that other national station, stay here to here Chicago White Sox and Cubs talk". Whatever.

Anyways, when I finally got through to a producer, I mentioned my topic and he said "sorry, we are only taking calls about Dusty Baker right now".

Thus, proved our point.

MadetoOrta
05-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Lip,

I really like and appreciate your insight, connections, interviews and information that you share with all of us. I thank you for bringing that to us. There are very few Sox fans as devoted as you are.

But when it comes to the media and Hangar, you're majoring on minors. You're too deeply invested into protecting your chosen profession and colleagues to admit that the media has a decided pro-Cubs bias. So you nitpick Hangar's accounting methods. Talk about missing the forest....

The White Sox just won the World Series. They have the best record in the majors. They have the best starting rotation in the majors. They have the second-best offense in the AL and the AL's current home run leader. They have colorful, media-friendly players like A.J. Pierzynski. They have an extremely enteraining and quotable manager. Meanwhile, the Cubs are a piss-poor team and get more ink about their INJURED players than the Sox do about their stars. If Thome was on the Cubs, the Tribune would publish daily counter of his home runs, and how he matched up with Bonds' record-setting pace from 2001. (Thome is on pace for 73 homers as we speak.) If Garcia or Contreras was on the Cubs, the Tribune would be anointing them as Cy Young favorites with full-page, color photos like they are with Greg Maddux. If Greg Maddux was on the Sox and was 5-1, he most certainly would not get such treatment. The Sox are kings, but the Cubs get treated like royalty.

Don't even try to blame Jerry Reinsdorf (or Rob Gallas). He's is the only owner in the last 88 years to bring a World Series Championship to Chicago. His previous ill-advised statements and actions do not warrant his team being treated as second-class citizens. Moreoever, if his previous PR gaffes ARE the reason why the media gives the Sox second-fiddle treatment in Chicago, it PROVES that the media holds grudges and allows those grudges to infect their reporting!

The only other alternative is to admit the fact that the Chicago media has been conditioned by the Tribune's status as the leading newspaper in Chicago to buy their BS propaganda and defecate it back out to the blind lemmings who eat it up like fudge.

It doesn't matter if the Tribune employs Sox fans in their sports department. Who pays their salaries? Who's stock fills their 401K accounts?

There's only so many times journalists can spit shine the turd that their colleagues have allowed their profession to become before their excuses are shown to be a festering mound of verbal diarrhea.

Well put. It's the truth too.

Hitmen77
05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't think this is worth nit-picking over 1998. Even if you give the Cubs four 90 win seasons since 1946, that's still pathetic. How many have the Sox had in that time? Isn't it something like 13?

If you want to asterisk any seasons since the 162 game schedule was adopted that did not include exactly 162 game AND affected the 90-win threshold then you might want to list 3 footnotes:

1. The Cubs needed 163 games to win 90 in 1998
2. The Sox won 67 out of 113 games in strike-shortened '94. Projected over 162 games, this would equal 96 wins.
3. The Sox won 87 out of 154 games in strike-shortened '72. Projected over 162 games, this would equal 91 wins.

Also, Cub-dumb likes to talk about their "bad luck". Yet, they have benefitted very much from the watered down playoff format that began in '95. They made the playoffs in '98 and '03 with only the 4th best record in the NL in each of those years.

Maximo
05-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Kind of off topic from the whole Cub 90 win thing, I did a little radio experiment.

Earlier on in this thread the Score was broght up and there were posts on how they have been talking ALOT about the Cubs, even though the Sox are the better team.

Well I just called up Murph's show to try and talk about how he thinks Charlie Haeger will pitch tonight. Ironically while on hold I heard a promo saying "Don't listen to that other national station, stay here to here Chicago White Sox and Cubs talk". Whatever.

Anyways, when I finally got through to a producer, I mentioned my topic and he said "sorry, we are only taking calls about Dusty Baker right now".

Thus, proved our point.

The Monday after the Sox clinched against the Tigers and then proceeded to sweep 3 from the Indians on the final weekend of the regular season, I was driving back from St.Louis and trying to catch up on some Sox news. Obviously, the radio landed on 670 AM WSCR at the beginning of Mike Murphy's "show". Mind you......this was Monday, the day before the Sox were going to take on Boston in the opening game of the playoffs. Like all Sox fans, I had been waiting for this minute for a helluva long time and desperate for some positive Sox discussions. Instead....what does Murphy do?....bitch almost the entire two hours about reading once again in the newspapers that Dusty Baker and all of the coaches were going to be hired back in 2006.
His excuse to Sox fans at that time was that this would be his last chance to talk about the Cubs for at least a month with the Sox in the playoffs. I'm sure he was the last guy in Chicago to think that possibility would actually come true.

I was so angry, I sent an e-mail to Mitch Rosen, program director at the SCORE when I got home. I usually don't do something like that.....but I was pissed!!! I informed him that I would no longer be a frequent SCORE listener and I would never listen to Mike Murphy again.

I lied....since that time I have listened to parts of Murphy's show on three separate occasions. Two over the winter and then again today while a friend and I were returning from a round of golf and he had the Score tuned in on his radio. On all three occasions I'm still hearing Mike Murphy bitching about Dusty Baker and the Cubs' Front Office. Apparently, it's still the same **** every day!! The only thing good about today was that I won 5 bucks from my buddy when I bet him that by the time he pulled into my driveway, Murphy wouldn't change the subject and talk about something....anything else other than this useless drivel.

Sorry about the rant.....but does the Sox organization have any idea what's still happening during Murphy's time slot? Like someone said, if you only listened to WGN you wouldn't know there's another baseball team in Chicago.
I would have assumed that when Reinsdorf agreed to move the broadcasts over to the SCORE, he expected some preferential treatment regarding how much airtime the Sox were going to receive.

Now I read where they might re-up Murphy for another two years. Can't something be done about this? The guy is doing this on purpose and getting away with it.

Etownsox13
05-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Uhm not sure what the neighborhood would be but I'm pretty sure it's neither Wrigleyville or Rogers Park. That's a bit north of Irving Park.

It's actually more Rogers Park

Iwritecode
05-10-2006, 03:37 PM
The Monday after the Sox clinched against the Tigers and then proceeded to sweep 3 from the Indians on the final weekend of the regular season, I was driving back from St.Louis and trying to catch up on some Sox news. Obviously, the radio landed on 670 AM WSCR at the beginning of Mike Murphy's "show". Mind you......this was Monday, the day before the Sox were going to take on Boston in the opening game of the playoffs. Like all Sox fans, I had been waiting for this minute for a helluva long time and desperate for some positive Sox discussions. Instead....what does Murphy do?....bitch almost the entire two hours about reading once again in the newspapers that Dusty Baker and all of the coaches were going to be hired back in 2006.
His excuse to Sox fans at that time was that this would be his last chance to talk about the Cubs for at least a month with the Sox in the playoffs. I'm sure he was the last guy in Chicago to think that possibility would actually come true.

I was so angry, I sent an e-mail to Mitch Rosen, program director at the SCORE when I got home. I usually don't do something like that.....but I was pissed!!! I informed him that I would no longer be a frequent SCORE listener and I would never listen to Mike Murphy again.

I lied....since that time I have listened to parts of Murphy's show on three separate occasions. Two over the winter and then again today while a friend and I were returning from a round of golf and he had the Score tuned in on his radio. On all three occasions I'm still hearing Mike Murphy bitching about Dusty Baker and the Cubs' Front Office. Apparently, it's still the same **** every day!! The only thing good about today was that I won 5 bucks from my buddy when I bet him that by the time he pulled into my driveway, Murphy wouldn't change the subject and talk about something....anything else other than this useless drivel.

Sorry about the rant.....but does the Sox organization have any idea what's still happening during Murphy's time slot? Like someone said, if you only listened to WGN you wouldn't know there's another baseball team in Chicago.
I would have assumed that when Reinsdorf agreed to move the broadcasts over to the SCORE, he expected some preferential treatment regarding how much airtime the Sox were going to receive.

Now I read where they might re-up Murphy for another two years. Can't something be done about this? The guy is doing this on purpose and getting away with it.

I can't believe you guys are still suprised about this. His commercials specifically say "Let's talk Cubs baseball." Not Let's talk Cubs and Sox baseball."

thepaulbowski
05-10-2006, 03:47 PM

The Sox only played in 161 games in 1999 and 1997.

thepaulbowski
05-10-2006, 03:56 PM
This thread has turned ridiculous. Who cares if the Cubs are/aren't credited with 90 wins in 1998?!?! Are people so unstable in their Soxhood that they have prove there worth? The Sox won the 2005 World Series. The Cubs didn't. Let their fans chew on that.

SoxFan78
05-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I can't believe you guys are still suprised about this. His commercials specifically say "Let's talk Cubs baseball." Not Let's talk Cubs and Sox baseball."

Im not really surprised about how he always talks about the cubs. My whole point was that the station is claiming they are all Chicago Sports, but its really only Cubs talk, all the time.

maurice
05-10-2006, 03:57 PM
A bit north of Irving Park Rd. =/= Rogers Park.

Apparently, the fellow was arrested in Roger's Park, much much further north than 4100.

daveeym
05-10-2006, 04:21 PM

Apparently, the fellow was arrested in Roger's Park, much much further north than 4100. Yeah he was all over the place as far down as North and Halsted. He must be a grinder. That's some serious hustle.

Hangar18
05-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Henry, are you otherwise known as "Sean Salisbury"? He is on his new show on ESPN 1000 asking Bruce Levine why the crappy Cub team gets more press then the Best Team in Baseball, the White Sox.

And all Levineline could answer with, was that "the cubs are the story right now"?
So Mr Levineline, you mean to tell me that:

.......... a team on an 8 game losing streak, in 5th place, is a bigger story
THAN............
..........a team in 1st Place, Has best record in baseball, is arguably one of 5 teams in history that Won a World Series than followed up immediately next season with an equally hot start

SOXPHILE
05-10-2006, 04:47 PM
And all Levineline could answer with, was that "the cubs are the story right now"?
So Mr Levineline, you mean to tell me that:

.......... a team on an 8 game losing streak, in 5th place, is a bigger story
THAN............
..........a team in 1st Place, Has best record in baseball, is arguably one of 5 teams in history that Won a World Series than followed up immediately next season with an equally hot start

http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg"Weeve me awone Hangar ! I cover both teamth in thith town fairly. The Cubth are the thtory wight now becauth of Duthty Bako and the high expectationth they had. The Soxth winning again & again and being defending Woold Theries Champth is just old newth. What do you want me to do ? Thame thtory over and over again ? O.K. -OOOO! The White Soxth won again. There, happy ?"

miker
05-10-2006, 04:48 PM
How dare you question the "objective" Buuhhh-rooose Levine!

Dan Mega
05-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Apparently, the fellow was arrested in Roger's Park, much much further north than 4100.

Regardless of where it happened, I'm glad this bastard is behind bars and not hurting anyone else.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Frater:

No. The point is I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT THE MEDIA DOES OR DOES NOT SAY ABOUT THE WHITE SOX.

The White Sox are World Champions, the White Sox are on pace to draw 2.8 or 2.9 million fans.

WHO CARES what the media says. There is a conflict of interest, I recognize it, I don't like it, but that's the way it is. It doesn't take one iota of joy away from me that the Sox won the World Series because the media 'isn't giving' the Sox their due. If the Sox keep winning they'll be forced to. And no that's not me talking that's Kenny Williams himself.

Regarding Hangar's comment that "Again. I dont RECOGNIZE that as a regular season 90-win campaign."

Fortunately Hangar is in no position to make a difference on the matter anyway since he holds no position of authority in it. (Personally it sounded like something Shoota would say about Joe Crede...LOL) So he is entitled to think any conspiracy theory or unreality that he chooses to.

Fact: MLB counts tie breaking games for playoff entry as REGULAR SEASON games. They also count the stats from a tied game in the official final stats even though those games are restarted from the beginning. (Which is why if you look through history you'll see guys having played in 163, 164 and even 165 games)

Doesn't look to me like MLB was trying to favor the Cubs since they've only been doing this for 100 years. (Maybe I shouldn't recognize that though because I don't 'like' it...LOL)

Lip

Dick Allen
05-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Frater:

No. The point is I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT THE MEDIA DOES OR DOES NOT SAY ABOUT THE WHITE SOX.

The White Sox are World Champions, the White Sox are on pace to draw 2.8 or 2.9 million fans.

WHO CARES what the media says. There is a conflict of interest, I recognize it, I don't like it, but that's the way it is. It doesn't take one iota of joy away from me that the Sox won the World Series because the media 'isn't giving' the Sox their due. If the Sox keep winning they'll be forced to. And no that's not me talking that's Kenny Williams himself.

Regarding Hangar's comment that "Again. I dont RECOGNIZE that as a regular season 90-win campaign."

Fortunately Hangar is in no position to make a difference on the matter anyway since he holds no position of authority in it. (Personally it sounded like something Shoota would say about Joe Crede...LOL) So he is entitled to think any conspiracy theory or unreality that he chooses to.

Fact: MLB counts tie breaking games for playoff entry as REGULAR SEASON games. They also count the stats from a tied game in the official final stats even though those games are restarted from the beginning. (Which is why if you look through history you'll see guys having played in 163, 164 and even 165 games)

Doesn't look to me like MLB was trying to favor the Cubs since they've only been doing this for 100 years. (Maybe I shouldn't recognize that though because I don't 'like' it...LOL)

LipLip, I understand that MLB officially recognizes the W/L and stats from the playoff game. But MLB isn't always logocal with some of the things they do, correct? It is simply my opinion that a team that gets an extra game and wins has some ill-gotten booty. I guess we can all agree to disagree on this, no big deal.

PaulDrake
05-11-2006, 09:24 AM
It's actually more Rogers Park No. Rogers Park starts at Devon Ave and runs north to the city limits. Itsnotrequired correctly explained this earlier in the thread.

Cuck the Fubs
05-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Well I gotta say I'm with Hangar on this one.........he's 110% correct.

Mr. Lip Man, you should care about the bias in the media.........this said bias helped to brainwash millions of sheep into being Cub fans.

Now that the Sox have a clearly superior product in every way,shape and form, the media is refusing to give us the nod, because heaven forbid the all mighty lovable losers get knocked from their perch.

I'm tired of this bias, because it leads the moronic Cub fans out there to lead every arguement with " They can't fill the park" blah blah blah.......:angry: :angry: :angry:

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Lip, I understand that MLB officially recognizes the W/L and stats from the playoff game. But MLB isn't always logocal with some of the things they do, correct? It is simply my opinion that a team that gets an extra game and wins has some ill-gotten booty. I guess we can all agree to disagree on this, no big deal.

The very bottom line is that the Cubs have a record-long history of futility, whether they had an 89 or a 90 win season sprinkled in there to set up yet another monumental playoff collapse. One measly regular season win doesn't amount to a hill of beans; all that matters is that they are the most woebegon franchise in all of professional sports.

That they get significantly more coverage than their corss-town rival WHO JUST WON THE WORLD SERIES AND WHO HAS THE BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL AT THIS VERY MOMENT is an absolute disgrace and speaks VOLUMES about how little regard Chicago's sports journalists have for their chosen profession.

Lip choses to ignore it. Hangar chooses to bring in to the public's attention. I'm more interested in shining the light of day on injustices, even if it is a rather minor (in the grand scheme of things) injustice, because it exemplifies the larger problem of a journalism profession that is in rapid decline (and this concerns me as a journalism/media studies educator).

jenn2080
05-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Well I gotta say I'm with Hangar on this one.........he's 110% correct.

Mr. Lip Man, you should care about the bias in the media.........this said bias helped to brainwash millions of sheep into being Cub fans.

Now that the Sox have a clearly superior product in every way,shape and form, the media is refusing to give us the nod, because heaven forbid the all mighty lovable losers get knocked from their perch.

I'm tired of this bias, because it leads the moronic Cub fans out there to lead every arguement with " They can't fill the park" blah blah blah.......:angry: :angry: :angry:

IM with Lip. Who really cares anymore...if you dont like it then dont read the newspaper or go and get a journalism degree and write for the paper. The Trib has always been bias...nothing is going to change...well that is maybe this year but no much has changed so stop reading it. There is now newspapers online and you can pick and choose with out reading the bias newspapers. If people cant think for themselves then that is their problems. Anyways the whole we cant fill the ball park thing. whatever if that is their only arguement and comeback then whatever. It isnt like that is really below the belt. They cant even spit facts about their own team let alone anyone elses. I sure am not going to go out of my way to talk crap to anyone for being in a cubs shirt because they are not worth my time. You know I dont understand before Sox fans were bitter because of our own team and not making it anywhere, but no we won a world series and have the best record in baseball with one of our guys with the most HR in the AL and you guys can still bitch and about a team that dont matter. Why obsess about something you hate?!?!? Obsess about the fact we have a team that is just unreal to watch. A team that everytime you walk in the stadium in puts a smile on your face everytime win or lose. How can people still be miserable. What are we Red Sox fans?

PaleHoseGeorge
05-11-2006, 10:22 AM
IM with Lip. Who really cares anymore...if you dont like it then dont read the newspaper or go and get a journalism degree and write for the paper. The Trib has always been bias...nothing is going to change...
Wow. This is the kind of "just lie down and take it" attitude I never thought I would read at White Sox Interactive. This is NOT a totally biased attitude.

There would be NO website like WSI if I had this same "whatever" attitude back in 1998. We can just go read somebody else's pap, right?
:(:

Here's a suggestion. If you don't like the content of the media watch threads, have the good sense not to read them. Let's not be stupid about this. Hangar posts one of these almost every day.

Iwritecode
05-11-2006, 11:25 AM

The Sox won last year and it hasn't forced the media to do anything.

Maybe if we spread the word of what's happening and people quit reading that rag because of it, they might actually change something. I'm pretty sure they don't want to lose readers/money.

thepaulbowski
05-11-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm pretty sure they don't want to lose readers/money.

Looking at the financials they are already losing readers & money and it has nothing to do with their pro-Cub mentaility.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Wow. This is the kind of "just lie down and take it" attitude I never thought I would read at White Sox Interactive. This is NOT a totally biased attitude.

There would be NO website like WSI if I had this same "whatever" attitude back in 1998. We can just go read somebody else's pap, right?

Here's a suggestion. If you don't like the content of the media watch threads, have the good sense not to read them. Let's not be stupid about this. Hangar posts one of these almost every day.

Agreed. That kind of attitude has no place in Sox Army. In fact, some might call it treason....

Thank goodness the 2005 Sox didn't have a "give up" attitude. Thank goodness A.J. didn't sulk back to the dugout about swining at ball four in the bottom of the ninth of Game 2 of the ALCS with two outs and the bases empty. Thank goodness Ozzie and the Sox didn't give up when Cleveland made their mad dash in September 2005.