PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the next shoe

phaedrus
01-30-2002, 01:02 AM
Ok- 1/2 of the Lee/Singleton package is out the door so I have to think the next shoe drops soon. What's left out there to get with El Caballo? I was more surprised that KW didn't pull off a package deal to try to get 1 proven player rather than splitting the 2 up to get a prospect and whatever else he can land.

Lee is a strong player and I will be the first to acknowledge he had a crappy 2nd half but I'm a little concerned with letting him go right now. A couple of you have mentioned worrying about the Cameron trade happening again and Lee has more potential to make us look bad than Singelton. He reminds me of a young Bobby Bonilla. Granted he sucks lately but was MVP runner up in 1990.

Anyway, with these guys split up and KW's stellar track record I'm thinking we get crap for C Lee. I would have much rather seen the 2 guys packaged for a solid starter or 2nd baseman.

Any ideas on what's out there for a C Lee on his own?

FarWestChicago
01-30-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by phaedrus
Ok- 1/2 of the Lee/Singleton package is out the door so I have to Any ideas on what's out there for a C Lee on his own? I'm one of the few people who thinks it's too early to give up on Caballo. I say keep him.

phaedrus
01-30-2002, 01:25 AM
absolutely FWC - I think last year was an abberation. This is the kid who had a .990 fielding percentage in '99 - 2nd best LF in the AL, and hit almost 300 in each of his first 2 years. He'll never win a gold glove but I think he has the potential to be a superstar at the plate. Give him a full season behind a healthy Mags and Frank and see what he can do. Bottom line, he's proven he can hit in the big leagues, I'd hate to see the Sox risk him on prospects. But who are we kidding, KW's going to throw him away.

At least the Flubs are still going to suck.

Procol Harum
01-30-2002, 11:22 AM
If we could put up with the Choice (aka Buddy Lee) last year, and can continue to tolerate Mr. Inconsistency at 2B, surely we can give Caballo another go-round--too much shown in '99 and '00 as well as potential upside there to give up quite yet. But, then again, I'm a long-time Sox guy--whatever decision we make will probably bomb on us. My glass is half-empty, woe, woe, woe.... :whiner:

czalgosz
01-30-2002, 11:31 AM
I don't think they'd sign him to a 2[year deal if they were planning to trade him. While KW would probably trade Lee if the price was right, he's not going to give him away just to make room.

Huisj
01-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
too much shown in '99 and '00

Not to mention his big first half in '01. In his big league career of not quite 3 full seasons, he's had one bad half total. And he's what, 25? You can't give up on a guy for that.

RedPinStripes
01-30-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I'm one of the few people who thinks it's too early to give up on Caballo. I say keep him.

What do we do with him when Borchard is ready? What does LTP stand for anyway? I was away for a few weeks and missed this insider.

RichH55
01-30-2002, 11:59 AM
LTP = Light Tower Power

harwar
01-30-2002, 12:06 PM
I've always said it was a mistake to give up on Carlos.I said last year that he reminds me of a very young and raw manny ramirez.I also was bummed at the loss of Cameron.I waited for years for him to get to the big club,he finally did,and then hes' gone.Getting a guy like Konerko really softens the blow tho.Anyway,i thought that last year would be Lees' breakout year.Well,maybe this year.Of course i'm still hoping for Julio Ramirez to turn into the player that i want him to be.Oh well,better luck next time i guess.

czalgosz
01-30-2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

What do we do with him when Borchard is ready? What does LTP stand for anyway? I was away for a few weeks and missed this insider.

Well, the idea is to keep Borchard and Lee, and have an outfield of Lee, Borchard, and Ordonez. Personally, I think that's a little scary, but it definitely is a temptation to have all three bats in the outfield.

Long term, though, I guess you keep Lee as a replacement for Thomas at DH when he retires. Then you can move Borchard to left and find a centerfielder.

Randar68
01-30-2002, 12:23 PM
I've always said it was a mistake to give up on Carlos.I said last year that he reminds me of a very young and raw manny ramirez.

Well, Manny has always been able to draw walks, something Carlos does not seem to be willing.

One factor here, that I think is underrated, is the loss of Frank. When Frank is hitting third, getting on base, and proving the value of the walk to the guys behind him, it is leading by example. As the season went on, I think Carlos put too much pressure on himself. He stopped driving the ball to right and his situational hitting, something that he was uncanny at the last 2 years, had disappeared.

Well, the idea is to keep Borchard and Lee, and have an outfield of Lee, Borchard, and Ordonez. Personally, I think that's a little scary, but it definitely is a temptation to have all three bats in the outfield.

Long term, though, I guess you keep Lee as a replacement for Thomas at DH when he retires. Then you can move Borchard to left and find a centerfielder.

Borchard is as fast as Rowand. He is bigger, and as he gets more experience, he'll learn to get better jumps. He already takes good routes to balls, and is very athletic. Jim Edmunds isn't the fastest guy in the world, but he gets good jumps and takes GREAT routes.

Thomas is signed through 2006, and I would guess he'd play a couple years beyond that. My guess is Carlos will be dealt after next season or the year after. He will be arbitration eligible and by then will be seeking big money. I think our OF prospects are solid, and that we have a couple guys that will be good leadoff/CF types by 2004. When Lee's value is higher and he starts looking for the big money he will be dealt if Borchard succeeds...

Paulwny
01-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
[I As the season went on, I think Carlos put too much pressure on himself. He stopped driving the ball to right and his situational hitting, something that he was uncanny at the last 2 years, had disappeared.

Agree, for some reason he continually tried to pull the ball in the 2nd half. I hope it was pressure and not a development of bad habits. We'll see this year.