PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Williams Helmet Toss

kjhanson
05-09-2006, 11:54 PM
In the 7th inning of tonite's Red Sox/Yankees game Bernie Williams struck out looking. He made a couple comments to the umpire and was soon ejected. While walking back to the dugout, he took off his helmet, threw it behind him and just barely missed the umpire.

This comes on the heels of course of the Delmon Young suspension.

Did anyone else catch this and immediately draw comparisons to Young's incident? Bernie is known as one of the nicer guys in the game, and he actually threw the helmet without looking. None-the-less, I immediately thought a suspension was in order. Naturally, SportsCenter glanced over the incident as to not tarnish one of their East Coast Golden Boys.

voodoochile
05-09-2006, 11:59 PM
In the 7th inning of tonite's Red Sox/Yankees game Bernie Williams struck out looking. He made a couple comments to the umpire and was soon ejected. While walking back to the dugout, he took off his helmet, threw it behind him and just barely missed the umpire.

This comes on the heels of course of the Delmon Young suspension.

Did anyone else catch this and immediately draw comparisons to Young's incident? Bernie is known as one of the nicer guys in the game, and he actually threw the helmet without looking. None-the-less, I immediately thought a suspension was in order. Naturally, SportsCenter glanced over the incident as to not tarnish one of their East Coast Golden Boys.

Guys like Williams are such natural athletes. They almost always know where they are in relation to the world around them. They can do things that other people would find difficult or even impossible. Their hand-eye coordination is amazing and their ability to run or throw to a spot without looking at the spot or the ball are inate abilities.

If Williams did it by accident he's losing it physically. If he did it on purpose, he's losing it mentally. Expect a suspension of some sort or at least a strongly worded reprimand.

RKMeibalane
05-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Guys like Williams are such natural athletes. They almost always know where they are in relation to the world around them. They can do things that other people would find difficult or even impossible. Their hand-eye coordination is amazing and their ability to run or throw to a spot without looking at the spot or the ball are inate abilities.

If Williams did it by accident he's losing it physically. If he did it on purpose, he's losing it mentally. Expect a suspension of some sort or at least a strongly worded reprimand.

I don't expect anything to happen. He's a Yankee, and Bud Selig always bends over for George Steinbrenner.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-10-2006, 08:11 AM

He was pissed over the strike call. What I found more insulting is he left his bat right in the box - the ump gestured to it and Bernie flipped the helmet. I agree, he SHOULD see something, but it's the Yanks - they do no wrong.

Viva Medias B's
05-10-2006, 08:20 AM
But if any White Sox player did what Williams did, Jeff Brantley would be calling for that Sox player to be executed in public.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-10-2006, 11:09 AM
But if any White Sox player did what Williams did, Jeff Brantley would be calling for that Sox player to be executed in public.

Sadly, I agree.

DeadMoney
05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't expect anything to happen. He's a Yankee, and Bud Selig always bends over for George Steinbrenner.

If there is no suspension is handed down it will be a shame. I don't care if Williams didn't know the umpire was behind him (because that's what he'll claim), but he threw his helmet back TOWARDS the field of play, AFTER he had been called out. I can say with one-hundred percent certainty that he will get a large fine, but I'm not so sure about the suspension (although, I do think he deserves one).

Frankfan4life
05-12-2006, 12:56 AM
It appeared to me that the helmet definately would have hit the ump had he not stepped out of the way. While I don't think the helmet would have injured the umpire had it hit him, I still think a suspension is in order as that was a despicable way for Bernie to behave and it should be discouraged.