PDA

View Full Version : wow, some love from Wilbon on PTI

So.ILSoxFan
05-09-2006, 05:52 PM
right before the commecial break, this exchange occurs:

Kornheiser: we're gonna talk about your favorite rivalry, sox/yanks.

Wilbon: White sox and yanks?

K: Red Saux

Wibon: we're not gonna talk about the world champs? you wanna talk about another team that won another year?

that's about as much love as we're gonna get on ESPN. I was proud.

:rolleyes::smile:

Dan Mega
05-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Wilbon is a proclaimed Flubs fan I think, but he definitley is fair to the White Sox.

cbotnyse
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
yeah Wilbon is a Cubs fan but always gives the Sox props for winning the series and always zings Tony for talking about east coast teams...it is refreshing to watch by ESPN standards.

So.ILSoxFan
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Wilbon is a proclaimed Flubs fan I think, but he definitley is fair to the White Sox.

certainly more so than tony "east coast" kornheiser :rolleyes:

QCIASOXFAN
05-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Wilbon does seem very partial to the Sox, even though the Cubs are his BOYS.

TornLabrum
05-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Wilbon does seem very partial to the Sox, even though the Cubs are his BOYS.

Could be that the Cubs are his BOYS but the Sox are his MEN.

drewcifer
05-09-2006, 06:55 PM
I really don't care for either of them.

And I'm also not convinced that Wilbon isn't a bandwagoner, but that's me.

I'm a very skeptical man. :talktothehand:

Dan Mega
05-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Regardless, I Tivo that show and skip the daily mention of Bonds and Kobe Bryant. I actually think they're funny guys.

dickallen15
05-09-2006, 07:01 PM
The Tribune has actually tried to get Wilbon to be a columnist a couple of times. I think when they brought in Skip Bayless, and when Skip hit the road.

VASoxfan1
05-09-2006, 08:36 PM
The Tribune has actually tried to get Wilbon to be a columnist a couple of times. I think when they brought in Skip Bayless, and when Skip hit the road.

I've been reading Wilbon and Kornheiser in the washington post for years, both of them are excellent writers.

Wilbon is south sider who grew up watching the cubs (he has his reasons, i'll buy it) and has never wavered on his misguided affection but he does give a lot of credit to the sox and wore a sox jersey a couple of times in october last year. Never jumping a bandwagon just supporting

also i REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hate skip bayless. probably the worst read ever.

flo-B-flo
05-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Love the show. Great banter and both guys are great writers.

sodfatherjunior
05-10-2006, 03:36 AM
Wilbon's a Flubs fan at heart, but he did grow up on the South Side and prolly likes both teams b/c of the fact that he grew up on the South Side, he wore the 1906 Sox jersey after they won the Series this past year so that might have a bit to do w/it.

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2006, 03:44 AM
IWilbon is south sider who grew up watching the cubs (he has his reasons, i'll buy it)Maybe because he is of the age when watching the Sox was damn near impossible in Chicago?

doublem23
05-10-2006, 03:45 AM
Eh, Wilbon is just trying to be the antithesis of Tony "I never dare set foot west of the Hudson River" Kornheiser, but its at least nice to hear someone on ESPN mention the Pale Hose in positive light.

gbergman
05-10-2006, 03:46 AM
Wilbon is a flubs fan at heart but he has a very soft spot for the White Sox as PTI is about the only show besides around the horn that i watcgh juist cause its entertaining to see people argue. Wilbon wanted the Sox to win and still does. He is not a hardcore cubbies but whats the sport of baseball flubs fan, rule **** the sox person

Banix12
05-10-2006, 03:57 AM
I think it's a case where Wilbon is a cubs fan but he is also at heart a Chicago guy and he realizes the magnitude of what a world series winner in chicago means and he understands how much it means that the White Sox have continued winning into the following year.

I also believe that as a writer he loves the story of what the White Sox are doing and he genuinely likes the people involved in the story like Ken Williams and Ozzie Guillen.

I don't think he can say the same thing about his cubs were he probably doesn't really like what they have degenerated into the last few years, both on the field and in the management.

purduedude87
05-10-2006, 05:44 AM
PTI is awesome, even with Kornheiser loving his teams and Wilbon loving the Cubs. Though, Wilbon does respect the Sox and probably has a special place for them. That stat boy Tony makes me want to punch him in the face. :angry:

fquaye149
05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
I really don't care for either of them.

And I'm also not convinced that Wilbon isn't a bandwagoner, but that's me.

I'm a very skeptical man. :talktothehand:

You're not being skeptical. You're being astute. Whatever Chicago team is doing well, that's Wilbon's favorite team.

cbotnyse
05-10-2006, 09:13 AM
You're not being skeptical. You're being astute. Whatever Chicago team is doing well, that's Wilbon's favorite team.

not true! Wilbon is a Cub fan.....He always says he is not a bandwagon jumper, but he supports good baseball and the Sox gave him exactly that....plus he always gives love to Chicago sports teams cuz Tony "East Coast" Kornieser never acknowledges any team east of the Hudson.......how can you not love that??? especially on ESPN?? Wilbon is a breath of fresh air!! I love that show.

jdm2662
05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Michael Wilbon is the only guy on ESPN I actually like. For those accusing him of being a bandwagon jumper, he is far from it. When asked if he is going to celebrate when the Sox win the World Series, he said no, but he was going to be happy for his Sox fan friends. I'm going to guess he was a kid in the late 60s when the Sox went to UHF. If you are a baseball fan, you can't deny the good baseball the Sox play, like them or hate them. Kornheiser is an east coast guy, and he makes no apologies of it. However, they both work well together, and the show is very good. I'm not home to watch it anymore, but it is the only show I watch on ESPN. The rest of it is crap.

ChiWavDave
05-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Eh, Wilbon is just trying to be the antithesis of Tony "I never dare set foot west of the Hudson River" Kornheiser, but its at least nice to hear someone on ESPN mention the Pale Hose in positive light.

Aren't these guys based in DC and write for the washington post? So that should be west of the Potomac River. :D:

russ99
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Skip Bayless

Urg!! Please, no further mention of the most biased and annoying "columnist" ever.

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2006, 04:15 PM
It was interesting to listen to the Charley Steiner interview of John Kruk on XM MLB Homeplate this afternoon. The subject of the east-coast bias came up, and Kruk acknowledged it and expressed some frustration. First he said that when they call players to do the little interview bits, they are hearing "hey, why don't you call somebody on the Yankees or Red Sox; that's all you guys talk about." He then said, "look, it's a big rivalry, I know, but come on, there's 28 other teams to talk about."

michned
05-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Maybe because he is of the age when watching the Sox was damn near impossible in Chicago?
I remember if we touched the UHF antenna wire to our toaster, we could get at least get a fuzzy black and white picture (with no sound of course) on channel 32. :D:

IotaNet
05-10-2006, 11:52 PM
I think it's a case where Wilbon is a cubs fan but he is also at heart a Chicago guy and he realizes the magnitude of what a world series winner in chicago means and he understands how much it means that the White Sox have continued winning into the following year. Agreed

Rooney4Prez56
05-12-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm a huge fan of PTI and Wilbon. He needs to be there to straighten Tony K. out. It is the only show where I actually value the opinions of the people talking. Tony has a little east coast bias, but he and WIlbon are more than talking heads.

cbotnyse
05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm a huge fan of PTI and Wilbon. He needs to be there to straighten Tony K. out. It is the only show where I actually value the opinions of the people talking. Tony has a little east coast bias, but he and WIlbon are more than talking heads.

you forgot the teal!

Sox-on-TV44
05-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Oooooh,that's gonna be a big problem for Tony K. with that "Monday Night Football gig"!:D:

palehozenychicty
05-12-2006, 03:22 PM
not true! Wilbon is a Cub fan.....He always says he is not a bandwagon jumper, but he supports good baseball and the Sox gave him exactly that....plus he always gives love to Chicago sports teams cuz Tony "East Coast" Kornieser never acknowledges any team west of the Hudson.......how can you not love that??? especially on ESPN?? Wilbon is a breath of fresh air!! I love that show.

Some editing needed to be done.