PDA

View Full Version : 'THAT GUY' during batting practice

NonetheLoaiza
05-09-2006, 01:15 PM
This past homestand, I have seen something that amuses me, but also disturbs me. I've seen countless numbers of grown men chasing after batting practice baseballs as if it was life or death. I'm all for watching bp, and trying to get a ball, but the past couple of games, I have seen some grown 40 year old men sprinting, jumping, and diving over rows of seats to get to a baseball that has just been hit into the stands. Normally, I say 'to each his own', but I wouldn't have been as disturbed by this if there weren't little kids around them trying to get the same baseball. I guess one of my pet peeves is seeing someone all grown up like that look like a weirdo chasing down ball after ball, and putting them in their pockets while a kid right next to them is sitting with his/her mitt without one. Does anyone else find this as weird as I do?

chidonez
05-09-2006, 01:20 PM
I wonder if there is a market for them... It would be sad if greedy autograph chasers we're spoiling the atmosphere. On the other hand, did you see Bonds snub that Air Force cadet the other day? What a jerk...

Jerko
05-09-2006, 01:22 PM
I was in the picnic area years ago when you could still watch the game from outside for a while. During BP, many balls came into our area. Once, a giant guy dove and almost smashed a kid. Insane. I always said if the ball comes right at me, I'll go for it, otherwise, forget it.

salty99
05-09-2006, 01:27 PM
All of that is NOTHING compared to this kid

http://www.snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/

rookieroy
05-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Imagine for a second catching a ball or diving for one...you get it and there are little kids standing there just looking at you. How can you NOT give a child the ball? I have seen this upteen times and it really makes me sick to my stomach. How weird is that? My kids have a few this way and I have given maybe a half dozen to little kids when mine wern't there. I always say something to those dirtballs to give the ball to the kids.

dagame2005
05-09-2006, 01:46 PM
the kid should always get the ball in my book. I've caught one ball (and it was during BP) I gave it to my 8 year old cousin who has the ball in a case to this day. If the adults want a ball, go to sports authority and buy one for less than ten bucks!

Jerko
05-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Imagine for a second catching a ball or diving for one...you get it and there are little kids standing there just looking at you. How can you NOT give a child the ball? I have seen this upteen times and it really makes me sick to my stomach. How weird is that? My kids have a few this way and I have given maybe a half dozen to little kids when mine wern't there. I always say something to those dirtballs to give the ball to the kids.

My friend ended up with a Konerko home run ball. He was going to bring it home for his kid and was getting taunted for not giving it to a kid that was at the game. I don't blame him for keeping it. Maybe the next one he gets he'll give up, but I don't see anything wrong with the guy keeping it for his own kid.

rookieroy
05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
My friend ended up with a Konerko home run ball. He was going to bring it home for his kid and was getting taunted for not giving it to a kid that was at the game. I don't blame him for keeping it. Maybe the next one he gets he'll give up, but I don't see anything wrong with the guy keeping it for his own kid.

I hear you. I'm talking about batting practice though. You can tell the types that do this all day and all night during batting practice.

Milw
05-09-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm all for not fighting with little kids over a ball, but if one lands in my lap, sorry, that's my ball especially if it's a homerun ball. Why is it that only kids can get enjoyment from a souvenir? I'm 25, been to dozens of games in my life, and I have one foul ball and zero homers. If I ever catch one, I'm gonna enjoy it, take it home and put it on the mantle, and I'm not going to feel the least bit guilty about it.

mrfourni
05-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Does anyone remember that guy with the contraption that retrieved all the balls that used to fall into the "moat" between the wall and the stands during batting practice? He was at every game.

Craig Grebeck
05-09-2006, 02:01 PM
It depresses me to see this too, but I think of it like this:

for every time i've seen a guy successfully dive in front of kids for a foul ball or batting practice dinger, I see a guy take a dive and come up empty handed, looking foolish and (if i'm lucky) a little bruised

it makes me smile inside when that happens

rdwj
05-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I've never even tried to get a batting practice ball - I just don't see the point. As far as game balls go, I've never even come close in the 100's of games I've attended. But, when I finally do get one, I'll give it to a kid - unless, it's a homerun ball by one of my guys. Then, I'm keeping it. But since I almost never sit in the outfield, there isn't much chance of that happening.

rookieroy
05-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm all for not fighting with little kids over a ball, but if one lands in my lap, sorry, that's my ball especially if it's a homerun ball. Why is it that only kids can get enjoyment from a souvenir? I'm 25, been to dozens of games in my life, and I have one foul ball and zero homers. If I ever catch one, I'm gonna enjoy it, take it home and put it on the mantle, and I'm not going to feel the least bit guilty about it.

A batting practice ball? Really? Who cares about batting practice anything? Maybe I go to too many games or something. I don't mean to offend anyone, but, to prevent a little kid from a batting practice ball that an adult may have out hussled to get is very bizarre to me. Maybe I'm nuts....:?:

NonetheLoaiza
05-09-2006, 02:21 PM

I was just talking about batting practice. Homeruns caught during the game are different, but some of the people I have seen spring from one or two sections over each time the ball is hit and are literally taking them away from kids. Those are the people that I am weirded out by. Of course, if one were to fall right in my lap, it would be my ball, but I would probably end up just giving it to a kid anyways because he/she would get more enjoyment out of it than I would.

Baby Fisk
05-09-2006, 02:26 PM
A friend of mine read "Faithful", a chronicle of the Red Cubs 2004 season, written by Stephen King and Stewart O'Nan. Everyone knows who King is, but I wouldn't know O'Nan from the messiah. Anyway, after my friend read this book, he concluded that O'Nan was a grownup idiot. O'Nan is exactly what was described above: an obsessive ball chaser. He even brings fishing nets to ballparks. Worst of all, that's all he writes about in Faithful. Eg.:

"April 22 - Went to Fenway, brought my net, snagged a ball."

"May 12 - Yankee Stadium, snagged some balls during BP."

"July 6 - Back at Fenway, got another ball."

"etc etc. Most historic season for my team since 1918, and all I ****ing care about writing down is how many balls I caught during BP."

:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
05-09-2006, 02:27 PM
All of that is NOTHING compared to this kid

http://www.snaggingbaseballs.mlblogs.com/
Whew! I was trying to find the definition of the word "loser." Thanks.:smile:

SOXPHILE
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
This actually reminds me of a something that happened to me out there back in either 1995 or 1996. I was sitting in the left field stands, a couple of hours before a Sunday game. The visiting team (can't remember who it was:redface: ) was taking batting practice. Most people were standing to try and get a ball, and I was just sitting there eating a hot dog and drinking a beer. I kept my head up though, just in case a ball came near me so I wouldn't get hit, and if it was close enough, I'd try and grab it. No big deal, and I wasn't going to leave my immediate area to go run after a batting practice ball. Well, at one point, a ball came flying towards our area. I saw it coming, but could see that it was going to land about 7 or 8 rows in front of me. Someone will catch it, or grab it after it bounces off the seats/benches. It landed, bounced a couple of rows up, into my row about 20 feet away, and rolls under the benches. Some people are scrambling for it, while others are just looking and waiting for the next one. I look, and the ball had landed, and rolled right under where I was sitting. I just reached down and picked it up without even leaving my seat. Heh heh heh. For about 30 seconds, I got some dirty looks from people, like "HEY ! He didn't even have to work for that one !" I didn't think it was that big a deal since it was only a batting practice ball from the visiting team. If a kid had asked me for it, I probably would have given it to him. But all I saw standing around me were guys, all over the age of 18. A few were some fat, 40 something guys who had even brought their gloves. :rolleyes:

my5thbench
05-09-2006, 02:44 PM
ok time to embarass myself...as a mere 21 year old at old Comiskey sitting iin the front row of the upper deck behind 1st base watching Dick Allen & the boys, my new bride & I had gone up to get a beer, as if I needed another one.....we were walking back down to join our friends in our seat when a foul ball landed in the aisle in front of me, I rushed down the steps for it' tried to pick it up & spilled my beer on a little girl's head, soaking her!Her mother chewed me out, the little girl cried & I still feel like a jerk whenever I think about it, & of course someone else got the ball

salty99
05-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Does anyone remember that guy with the contraption that retrieved all the balls that used to fall into the "moat" between the wall and the stands during batting practice? He was at every game.

yes I remember this guy and he got pissed once when the Sox ground crew member tossed the BP ball up to one of my friends. What can you possibly do with all those balls? I mean I can see giving them to charity or a little league team or something, but otherwise..naw. I have never gotten a ball myself.

Iwritecode
05-09-2006, 03:05 PM

Same here. I've never caught a ball of any kind though. I had a couple come near me once but that was it. I'm sure not going to go running after or diving for one though.

RichFitztightly
05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
I remember when I was 14 and we were sitting in our seats a section over from the foul pole. Well a BP homerun ball bounces around and lands right behind my seat. I pick it up and a 40-something guy grabs the ball while it's still in my hand and falls backwards behind me. I really wanted the ball as I never gotten one in my life (at that point) but I felt I'd rather keep my arm in it's socket, so I let it go.

Needless to say, my mom and some other parents start chewing this guy out, yet he doesn't care. I heard him say a little later that it was the fourth ball he's gotten that day.

Dan Mega
05-09-2006, 03:21 PM

Amen to that. If Konerko hits one to me, its mine. Not the brat's next to me :wink:

Vernam
05-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Imagine for a second catching a ball or diving for one...you get it and there are little kids standing there just looking at you. How can you NOT give a child the ball? I have seen this upteen times and it really makes me sick to my stomach. How weird is that? My kids have a few this way and I have given maybe a half dozen to little kids when mine wern't there. I always say something to those dirtballs to give the ball to the kids.My son still talks about the first game he went to, Sox vs. Cubs, when he was 8. During BP, he was in the left-field corner. No one else was really near him, and Crede flipped him a ball. It was obvious the ball was meant for him. There was no crowd of people going after the ball. (I wasn't even there -- I was at the top of the stairs.) My son couldn't make the grab, but it fell right at his feet. He reached down and grabbed it, but some 40-ish dude took the ball out of his hand and ran off with it. There's a special place in hell for guys who do stuff like that . . .

Vernam

soxjim
05-09-2006, 05:42 PM
The last game I attended, my friend who is 39 years old played the fool by diving over seats to get BP balls. I basically told him I would not invite him back on my tickets. He gave the ball to a kid and went to our seats in section 148 sat the rest of the game talking about ball hawks outside wrigley. Lesson learned even though one maybe a childhood friend once a cub fan all-ways a cub fan.

Bobbo35
05-09-2006, 06:38 PM
This past homestand, I have seen something that amuses me, but also disturbs me. I've seen countless numbers of grown men chasing after batting practice baseballs as if it was life or death. I'm all for watching bp, and trying to get a ball, but the past couple of games, I have seen some grown 40 year old men sprinting, jumping, and diving over rows of seats to get to a baseball that has just been hit into the stands. Normally, I say 'to each his own', but I wouldn't have been as disturbed by this if there weren't little kids around them trying to get the same baseball. I guess one of my pet peeves is seeing someone all grown up like that look like a weirdo chasing down ball after ball, and putting them in their pockets while a kid right next to them is sitting with his/her mitt without one. Does anyone else find this as weird as I do?

Ya, some of those people are gung ho. It is actually kind of funny watching them kill theirselves for a ball.

mike squires
05-09-2006, 08:30 PM
I go to anywhere between 3 to 6 games a year. One of the highlights for me is going down to the right field corner and snagging a ball or two. I think I have outgrown the climbing over chairs and racing to gt it. BUT, I enjoy the ones that come down the line on a bounce or a ground ball and snagging it. If I don't get it it's going right to the cutoff man and back into the bucket despite kids asking for it. I usually end up with one in my pocket before I'm done. It's still fun for me.

Brian26
05-13-2006, 12:03 PM

YES! I saw this guy back in '95 and '96 often. He'd come to the park with a duffel bag because he'd end up getting 15 or 20 balls during BP (this is also when they opened the gates 2 hours before the game instead of 90 minutes). His contraption was a soup can with a long string tied to a screw he had drilled into the bottom of it. He'd lower the can over the ball and it would pick up the ball perfectly, and he'd pull it back up.

eurotrash35
05-13-2006, 12:18 PM
I caught a foul ball from Manny during BP on a kids day in 2004 and gave it up to some little guy waiting for an autograph. Somebody did the same for me back in '88 or '89 though when I was just a little guy so I feel like I owe it to the Sox game experience.

If I ever saw somebody ripping a ball out of a kid's hand though it would be very hard to keep myself from punching them square in the nose.

michned
05-13-2006, 03:02 PM
The whole 'push a kid out of the way to get a foul ball or an autograph' is a major pet peeve with me. I actually think it's a worse situation with autographs because the kids literally disappear within the mob and they have almost no chance.

If a ball is coming right at you and you catch it I'd have no problem with someone taking it home to display it or give it to a family member. It's just when adults out-muscle kids for this stuff that really aggravates me.

LongLiveFisk
05-13-2006, 03:11 PM
I understand the whole sentiment of giving the ball to a kid but some of us love to collect baseball souvenirs so as difficult as it is to get a ball, if I get it, I'm keeping it as a souvenir. A couple years ago I was sitting in the left center bleachers and a batting practice ball was hit right at me. I didn't even have to move--landed right in my glove to the amazement of people around me (gee, you mean a GIRL can catch?!) so I was keeping that one. :cool:

Note: I would never knock a kid over to get a ball though.

goofymsfan
05-13-2006, 11:07 PM
I've been shoved out of the way by people trying to get a ball. The few times I have gotten a BP ball, I find a deserving person, usually a kid to give the ball to. At Safeco, I've gotten to know the Officers in the bullpen so anytime I need a ball, I just ask them. I always give those balls to someone else. Sometimes an adult that is coming to their first game. We get so many Japanese Tourists at Safeco as I'm sure Chicago does too, and they are so grateful when they get a ball.

mike squires
05-14-2006, 07:24 AM
I understand the whole sentiment of giving the ball to a kid but some of us love to collect baseball souvenirs so as difficult as it is to get a ball, if I get it, I'm keeping it as a souvenir. A couple years ago I was sitting in the left center bleachers and a batting practice ball was hit right at me. I didn't even have to move--landed right in my glove to the amazement of people around me (gee, you mean a GIRL can catch?!) so I was keeping that one. :cool:

Note: I would never knock a kid over to get a ball though.

Fisk and I think a lot alike. I would never run in front of a kid or run after one for that matter. But if it's hit to me I"m keeping it.

Law11
05-14-2006, 08:41 AM

I disagree to an extent.
I caugh a line shot in the club section last year for my first ball ever. It did drop at my feet but I was able to grab it. 2 kids 3 rows back wanted the ball.

I was like sorry little guy your time will come and i got booed.
The kid wasnt even around the ball and my finger was scrwed up for weeks
after trying to catch it. Sorry but after 30 years of going to games I was keeping that one.

soxgirl617
05-14-2006, 02:08 PM
The whole 'push a kid out of the way to get a foul ball or an autograph' is a major pet peeve with me. I actually think it's a worse situation with autographs because the kids literally disappear within the mob and they have almost no chance.

If a ball is coming right at you and you catch it I'd have no problem with someone taking it home to display it or give it to a family member. It's just when adults out-muscle kids for this stuff that really aggravates me.

I agree 100% (although if it came right to me AND I had a child at home I might keep it--otherwise, a kid gets it). Corollary: in the mid-1990s (1996, I think), my sister was hit in the face by a foul ball during the game. After the ball hit her, it bounced off her face and about 5 rows in front of us. The jerks who grabbed the ball not only wouldn't give my sister the ball (granted, she was an adult), but they didn't even want to let her see it (as she asked). Only after the crowd around us starting harassing the guys did they show my sister the ball. I still think the classy thing would've been to give it to my injured sister, but at least give it to a kid. Yikes, grow up.

LongLiveFisk
05-14-2006, 03:59 PM
I agree 100% (although if it came right to me AND I had a child at home I might keep it--otherwise, a kid gets it). Corollary: in the mid-1990s (1996, I think), my sister was hit in the face by a foul ball during the game. After the ball hit her, it bounced off her face and about 5 rows in front of us. The jerks who grabbed the ball not only wouldn't give my sister the ball (granted, she was an adult), but they didn't even want to let her see it (as she asked). Only after the crowd around us starting harassing the guys did they show my sister the ball. I still think the classy thing would've been to give it to my injured sister, but at least give it to a kid. Yikes, grow up.

In that case, I think I'd give your sister the ball. That wasn't very nice!

pearso66
05-14-2006, 06:00 PM
I disagree to an extent.
I caugh a line shot in the club section last year for my first ball ever. It did drop at my feet but I was able to grab it. 2 kids 3 rows back wanted the ball.

I was like sorry little guy your time will come and i got booed.
The kid wasnt even around the ball and my finger was scrwed up for weeks
after trying to catch it. Sorry but after 30 years of going to games I was keeping that one.

I still have yet to get a ball while a game is actually played, but I got my first ball ever this year during BP. It was a homerun that bounced off a couple seats and rolled into the row I was standing in. I just walked down 3 seats and picked it up. There were "kids" running for it, but they were 16-18 years old, I am not much older than them, plus it was my first ball, so I kept it. But just a couple weeks later I was standing down the foul line and a bouncing ball came our way. The guy in front of me reached his hat out while I reached my hands out, and to my suprised it passed him and rolled softly in my hands. It was so much more rewarding to actually catch one, even on a hope or still rolling, than to pick one up off the ground that had stopped. Now I just can't wait to get my first in game ball. But now that I got my first BP ball, if a kid around me asks for one, I'll give it to them, I just wanted my first, lol.

OzzyTrain
05-14-2006, 06:04 PM
I will go down with my nephew and ask the players nicely if my son can get a ball. It works, sometimes I do get jealous though because he always ends up with a ball.

Hell one of the games we are sitting behind a dug out and my nephew runs down in between innings you know, well he never got a ball but a grown man in the first row did. He took it out of his wifes purse and gave it to my nephew :smile:

soxfanreggie
05-17-2006, 11:44 PM
I have some good stories for and against giving away balls.

I used to have one of those contraptions, worked pretty well. I was like 8-14 the times I used it. I would give away a lot of balls, as did my father. It was cool to see the looks on their faces as I tossed them a ball.

However, there's nothing like giving a ball to a kid who already has 2-3 and then gets 2-3 more after that. There are some kids that will give the balls to mom or dad and go get more. I remember this kid wanted a ball so my dad and his dad lowered me over the fence by my feet (I was about 11 then). I got a nice laugh and smile from the players in the outfield. Little did we know the kid already had a ball and would be given 2 more by players about 5 minutes after I gave him a ball.

If it's BP, I'll usually give it to a kid. However, in a game, no way in heck!

Deebs14
05-17-2006, 11:58 PM
I spent a little bit of time in the bleechers before the game today and it was kind of sad how some people treated it like life and death. After a while I just sat back and watched most of these goofballs bust ass and damn near knock over kids just for BP balls. In particular this dumbass who was wearing a rolled up button-up shirt with a ****ing tie on. He ate it BIGTIME trying to get a blast off the bat of Crede and a lot of people just laughed at the fool.

He walked away with a nice big bump on his forehead from landing on a chair, and the best part about it was he didn't even get the ball. :cool:

Kuzman
05-18-2006, 07:39 AM
A BP ball I catch will go to a kid standing next to me. A foul or HR ball hit, I'm giving it to my kid. This happened to me last year, getting yelled at for not giving it to some kid that's sitting next to me. I look over and he has a ball signed by Man Soo Lee.

MRM
05-20-2006, 05:45 PM

Well said. I've been to over 300 games between the Sox as a kid, various mlb games elsewhere, and minor league games in several states, and never came close to getting a ball. If I got one it would undoubtedly go to my youngest daughter, who is a great softball player and huge Sox fan. Nothing against the kid(s) next to me in the stands, but my own comes first. It amazes me how people do what the "crowd" wants them to do...such as Cubs fans throwing back HR's from the opposing team. Seems pretty silly to me.