PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/9/06

Hangar18
05-09-2006, 08:21 AM
The "Sox-on-west-coast-so-too-late-to-put-them-on-the-cover" rule didnt seem to apply today in the Tribune. A humongous full-color picture that nearly takes up the entire page of Cy Maddux is what greets readers this morning. Sure the SOX werent even playing, but when has that stopped the media right? Unfortuneately for the SOX, they arent able to gain any ground in the Media standings.

Sports radio yesterday wasnt much better, as the sports talkers were DOMINANT in talking about the loss of Derrek Lee. Never has an injury been more of a topic for news since The Messiah first became injured. Jose Contreras has been mentioned as possiblyhitting the DL, but the topic immediately switched back to whats wrong with the cubs, when is DLee getting back, can you believe Wood struck out 12. The ultimate slap in the face was probably when a caller said noone was talking about the Contreras injury possibility, and how it could affect the SOX and how hes truly the best pitcher in baseball right now, asked Steve Stone on the Score what SOX minor-leaguers would help the team in the interim. Stone said he wasnt really familiar with the SOX minor-league system, only the Cubs. Stupid Score/Stone. Further solidifies the only reason the Score hired Stone was so he could talk/make fun of the Cubs.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in history to lead from wire-to-wire, the Chicago White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves lagging far far far behind in media coverage to a team that, finished in 4th place in 2005, in 3rd place in 2004, have exactly ZERO 90-win seasons since 1990, have only 3 90-win seasons since 1950, and have won nothing of significance since Roosevelt was in office in the early part of the 20th century. Somehow, this team is treated as a champion.
Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Tuesday May 9th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th Place in 2005 Cubs 376
Underdgo, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 325

Hangar18
05-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Cubs Assistant PR director Mike Kiley makes sure to take the focus off his favorite teams current 7gm losing streak, and points out how his team is the most successful at keeping Bonds off base. Nice job Kiley

SOXPHILE
05-09-2006, 08:33 AM
HA ! I almost wish I had seen that edition instead. The one I saw had a huge, front page color photograph of Barry Bonds' swollen head. What's worse, a huge photo of something Cub, or one of that lying, cheating, piece of garbage ? 90% of the talk yesterday on Mully & Hanley centered on what's wrong with the Cubs they stink Dusty's bad they're in trouble blah blah blah....Same with B & B and when Stone was on too. I didn't listen to Moron Murph, but I'm real sure he balanced it evenly between Cubs & Sox talk.:rolleyes: This news about Contreras is big. Hopefully, he just might miss a start, but it has a big impact on the defending World Champs and current best team in baseball. Yet, it's mentioned almost in passing, or a side note on the news. In fairness, they did discuss it on Chicago Tribune Live, but that's about it. Everyone knows what the real news is: KERRY WOOD MAKING A REHAB START IN AAA IN JUST A FEW DAYS !!!!!!

Hangar18
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Paul Sullivan cant hide his Frustration and Anguish in his game story regarding the Cubs. He Gnashes His Teeth with this unbiased gem ...... "Maddux jammed shortstop Khalil Greene on the fists with an inside pitch...only to watch Greene hit a 334-foot popup that landed in a luxury box a couple of feet to the right of the left-field foul pole". Loose Translation = Maddux gave up a Home Run To Khalil Greene to LF. Sullivan has the nerve to make fun of that shot, knowing how many Cubs have hit 358 foot "blasts" into the bozo/sandberg basket for the ultimate cheap home-run.
***** SULLIVAN

palehozenychicty
05-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Paul Sullivan cant hide his Frustration and Anguish in his game story regarding the Cubs. He Gnashes His Teeth with this unbiased gem ...... "Maddux jammed shortstop Khalil Greene on the fists with an inside pitch...only to watch Greene hit a 334-foot popup that landed in a luxury box a couple of feet to the right of the left-field foul pole". Loose Translation = Maddux gave up a Home Run To Khalil Greene to LF. Sullivan has the nerve to make fun of that shot, knowing how many Cubs have hit 358 foot "blasts" into the bozo/sandberg basket for the ultimate cheap home-run.
***** SULLIVAN

I caught that as well, and I just can't help but laugh.

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2006, 09:02 AM
and have won nothing of significance since Roosevelt was in office in the early part of the 20th century.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Hangar. You need to specify that the Cubs haven't won since TEDDY Roosevelt was president. Some folks might get confused and think FDR was president when the Cubs last won anything of significance.

:rolling:

Beyond that, let's remember the countless significant people/things that have gained prominence since the Cubs last won the World Series:

moon landing, JFK assassination, passenger air travel, interstate highway system, The Jazz Age, Hemingway, the atomic bomb, the Hindenburg, the Titanic, Hitler, the personal computer, television, CDs, cassettes, 45 RPM records, UNIVAC (the very first computer), the transitsor, the vacuum tube, the opening of the Panama Canal, World War I, Charlie Chaplin and the infamous Galveston Hurricane. In fact, the first Ford Model T is as old as the Cubs' most recent World Series championship.

daveeym
05-09-2006, 09:05 AM
***** SULLIVANCommenting on the baskets former Cubs manager Don Zimmer said, "They really are a big home field advantage. I mean we practiced hitting pop ups into the baskets all the time. Those baskets easily give the home team a .75 run advantage a game. Visiting players just can't seem to find the basket, all their homers go onto Waveland and they miss the bonus points that you get in skee-ball."

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2006, 09:06 AM
Sullivan has the nerve to make fun of that shot, knowing how many Cubs have hit 358 foot "blasts" into the bozo/sandberg basket for the ultimate cheap home-run.
***** SULLIVAN

You mean the so-called "Power Alleys" that even die-hard Cubs fan Mike Murphy personally measured at somewhat less than the posted 368 feet?

ode to veeck
05-09-2006, 09:10 AM
The baskets are just a cage to keep the bleacher animals at bay ... and also to enable Ernie Banks' 500th HR, a basket banger. Actually, Ernie was a classy guy and great player, just cheapened his 500th "hey, hey" shot with the stupid friggin' basket.

jenn2080
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM
"Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in history to lead from wire-to-wire, the Chicago White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves lagging far far far behind in media coverage"

who cares anymore....we arent lagging behind anyone in any division let alone MLB. we have the best record in baseball. ALL OF BASEBALL. so they can write all the articles about the cubs so long as the sox are in first place and we keep kickin ass.

munchman33
05-09-2006, 09:33 AM
who cares anymore....we arent lagging behind anyone in any division let alone MLB. we have the best record in baseball. ALL OF BASEBALL. so they can write all the articles about the cubs so long as the sox are in first place and we keep kickin ass.

We shouldn't have to settle for that.

jenn2080
05-09-2006, 09:39 AM

maybe we can start a million man sox march and stand in front the of the trib.

Chip Z'nuff
05-09-2006, 09:42 AM

It's time to change your subscription. Hit those two "Media Giants" in the wallet and just stop buying!

credefan24
05-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Stone wasn't "familiar" with the Sox farm team? Isn't his job "baseball analyst?" Doesn't he get paid to know about stuff like that? I mean, if the best pitcher in baseball will miss a start, shouldn't mediots who will start balthering at the mouth do just a minimal bit of research?

The media is a complete joke. And the biggest joker of all is Jim Rose on channel 7. On Sunday, after the Sox won, ABC sports started of with, you guessed it, Carrie Wood's A ball performance. The sox were the THIRD story. That is inexcusable. The media should be ashamed of themselves.

munchman33
05-09-2006, 09:55 AM
It's time to change your subscription. Hit those two "Media Giants" in the wallet and just stop buying!

I don't buy the paper anymore.

palehozenychicty
05-09-2006, 09:57 AM

:tealtutor:

White Sox Randy
05-09-2006, 12:03 PM
We should support the Sun - Times ! They atleast have a big White Sox promotion going on for a month !

rwcescato
05-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Cubs Assistant PR director Mike Kiley makes sure to take the focus off his favorite teams current 7gm losing streak, and points out how his team is the most successful at keeping Bonds off base. Nice job Kiley

I would like to add the new am 1000 radio show with Rosenbloom and Salisbury. The new 9-12 team, all they could talk about were the pathetic flubs. I listened from about 915 to 1045 when I was at the health club.
You would think they would at least mention the White Sox name.
Rich

maurice
05-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Stone wasn't "familiar" with the Sox farm team? Isn't his job "baseball analyst?" Doesn't he get paid to know about stuff like that?

Mickey Morondini said essentially the same thing during his brief tenure as Score "baseball (not Cubs) analyst." Meanwhile, Trib writer Gonzalez said the same thing in a White Sox Q&A a couple of years ago.

Hitmen77
05-09-2006, 12:13 PM

We already had a million man march in the loop for the Sox at the end of October.:cool:

Iwritecode
05-09-2006, 12:26 PM
I didn't listen to Moron Murph, but I'm real sure he balanced it evenly between Cubs & Sox talk.:rolleyes:

I never listen either but at least during his commercials he's given up pretending to give fair coverage. He literally says "Let's talk Cubs baseball" in the commercial.

Everyone knows what the real news is: KERRY WOOD MAKING A REHAB START IN AAA IN JUST A FEW DAYS !!!!!!

I'm thinking even Mark Buerhle could go down to single A and strike out 12 guys too...

voodoochile
05-09-2006, 12:29 PM
We already had a million man march in the loop for the Sox at the end of October.:cool:

That about says it all...

Well done.

POTW (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=3126)

:)

Dan Mega
05-09-2006, 12:39 PM

According to the Cubune it was a "several-hundred" man march, and most of them "must have been Cubs fans" (Morrisey)

Dick Allen
05-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Stone wasn't "familiar" with the Sox farm team? Isn't his job "baseball analyst?" Doesn't he get paid to know about stuff like that? I mean, if the best pitcher in baseball will miss a start, shouldn't mediots who will start balthering at the mouth do just a minimal bit of research?

The media is a complete joke. And the biggest joker of all is Jim Rose on channel 7. On Sunday, after the Sox won, ABC sports started of with, you guessed it, Carrie Wood's A ball performance. The sox were the THIRD story. That is inexcusable. The media should be ashamed of themselves.You should know, in this town, the media has no shame.
On another note from WSCR, the Sox flagship station, I did some station hopping last night. Every time I tuned into Lawrence Holmes (who I believe is a Sox fan), the conversation centered on the flubs. It's as if this joke of a station is going overboard to balance Sox coverage with that team. When you consider the flubs flagship station barely even knows the Sox exist, it really burns me up.:angry: On the other hand, maybe the Sox don't get talked about much because there are no controversies and everything is cool with them. But we know what would happen if the situation was reversed.

maurice
05-09-2006, 12:57 PM

Yep, 1 million men + 1 million women, for a total of 2 million Sox fans out in the streets that day.
:gulp:

ode to veeck
05-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Where's the 5/10 edition of the media watch?

SOecks
05-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Where's the 5/10 edition of the media watch?

I haven't read the papers yet but apparently my wife is on the front page of the Business section in the Sun Times getting her hair cut. She's a Cub fan so I think Hangar needs to count that as one extra Cub article by default.:cool: