PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to Singleton deal

doublem23
01-29-2002, 09:23 PM
So, what's the overall reaction to the Sox trade of Slowswing?

Comments welcome!

kermittheefrog
01-29-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
So, what's the overall reaction to the Sox trade of Slowswing?

Comments welcome!

You guys just watch CLR is looking for ways to stuff the ballot box right now. It says there are no votes for hurts but in about 15 minutes there will be about 90.

doublem23
01-29-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
You guys just watch CLR is looking for ways to stuff the ballot box right now. It says there are no votes for hurts but in about 15 minutes there will be about 90.

LOL!

This is Chicago, after all!

FarWestChicago
01-29-2002, 10:01 PM

LOL!

This is Chicago, after all! Yeah, but I'm a little smarter than that other guy.

:knue

Who? Me?

pearso66
01-29-2002, 11:16 PM
the trade seems a little interesting. i didnt realize that they were shopping him around. I liked the guy, but if this harris kid could be good in a year or 2, the trade would definitally be good. I'd like to see what the sox could do with a guy that could possibly steal 50 bases. I dont know what happened to the green light to steal at any time, the players now dont seem to be taking advantage of that

jklm
01-29-2002, 11:31 PM
Don't forget that the Sox save over $1M trading Singleton away... Maybe this will allow KW sign/trade for a veteran arm... but is anyone still available?

doublem23
01-29-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by jklm
Don't forget that the Sox save over $1M trading Singleton away... Maybe this will allow KW sign/trade for a veteran arm... but is anyone still available?

I doubt anyone worth picking up is still on the free agent market at this stage of the game, and after an off-season of inactivity, I would be shocked if the Sox went out and made a deal bigger than the Ritchie deal...

But who knows how the monkeys are turning the cranks in Kenny William's coconut? I sure as hell can't figure it out.

Procol Harum
01-30-2002, 10:14 AM

I doubt anyone worth picking up is still on the free agent market at this stage of the game, and after an off-season of inactivity, I would be shocked if the Sox went out and made a deal bigger than the Ritchie deal...

But who knows how the monkeys are turning the cranks in Kenny William's coconut? I sure as hell can't figure it out. :D: Thank you doublem23 for that!! LOL!

czalgosz
01-30-2002, 10:43 AM

Well, here (http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2001/1021/1267184.html) is the list of available free agents out there right now. You're right, noone jumps off the page. Jeff Abbott is available, if anyone thought it was a mistake to let him go, as is former Sox prospect Robert Ellis.

As for a deal, I hope Williams is done. I seriously had a nightmare last night where KW traded LTP (kinda catchy) for Erstad. Unless they can steal Gagne away from L.A., I don't want to see any more deals made.

FarmerAndy
01-30-2002, 11:14 AM
I think Singleton was our best defensive outfielder, and I'd like to see a better defensive team than we've had in recent years. But, I'm happy with the trade for a few reasons.

*Our outfield was too crowded.
*The Sox had made it clear that they didn't care much for
Singleton anyway.
*Harris looks like he could bring something to the team, KW didn't
just give Singleton away.
*I really liked Brian Simmons a couple of years ago, and I'd like
to see what he can do now.

So, even though I was a Singleton fan, this trade doesn't upset me too much. I hope he'll be happy in Baltimore, and I hope it will clear a few things up here in Chicago.

hold2dibber
01-30-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Well, here (http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/2001/1021/1267184.html) is the list of available free agents out there right now. You're right, noone jumps off the page. Jeff Abbott is available, if anyone thought it was a mistake to let him go, as is former Sox prospect Robert Ellis.

As for a deal, I hope Williams is done. I seriously had a nightmare last night where KW traded LTP (kinda catchy) for Erstad. Unless they can steal Gagne away from L.A., I don't want to see any more deals made.

I actually would take a flier on Pete Harnish, assuming you could get him for low base $ with lots of incentives. But better than that would be to deal for a more reliable veteran arm. But with Singleton gone, that seems less likely (as he plus either Lee or Durham might have been able to fetch a decent starter). The Sox needed to pick up someone like Nomo or Appier; a guy you could count on to pitch 200 innings and keep you in the game almost every time out.

Singleton will not be missed; Rowand/Simmons will do just as well as Singleton did until LTP is ready, and Harris seems like a legit prospect.

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 12:31 PM
All right, I give up, what does LTP stand for? I assume you are talking about Borchard from the rest of the info, but I don't get the LTP...

Nevermind... I saw it in the other thread "Light Tower Power".

I've been waiting for someone to really nail one and "Split the uprights" as it were... Maybe a better nickname would be "The Placekicker" or we could just shorten it to "Butthead" (Borthead?)

FarWestChicago
01-30-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
All right, I give up, what does LTP stand for? I assume you are talking about Borchard from the rest of the info, but I don't get the LTP...Sigh...we do have a WSI Dictionary. :smile:

voodoochile
01-30-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Sigh...we do have a WSI Dictionary. :smile:

The only L listed is Laime. Been there done that...

I still like my idea better...

:gulp:

FarWestChicago
01-30-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

The only L listed is Laime. Been there done that...

I still like my idea better...

:gulp: Check again.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/glossary.php?s=

Where did you find a link to the old page?

moochpuppy
01-30-2002, 02:54 PM
I like the trade.

The Sox dump Singleton's salary, they make room for some of the better younger players (Rowand and Borchard) and they get a top end prospect that can steal bases, hit for average and is a true leadoff hitter.

NTM, Harris is rated higher than the SCrubs 2nd base prospect Bobby Hill. :D: