PDA

View Full Version : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Parking

BRDSR
05-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Thats the number of dollars it costs to drive your car and park at a Sox game. If you go alone and sit in the upper deck, you'll pay more to park than to see certain games.

Who does that $18 go to? Do the White Sox own that land and thus reep the benefit or someone else(Illinois Sports Facilities, whatever that group is called, city of Chicago, etc...)

I almost never park at official Sox parking but this past Saturday was forced to do so. Long story short, the whole operation is run ABYSMALLY. If the White Sox are not making the money from parking, I propose a WSI-wide boycott of parking at U.S. Cellular Field(unless you are tailgating, of course). If the money does go to the Sox, I think we need to bombard our ticket-reps with demands and suggestions about making the experience better.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-08-2006, 10:08 PM
i agree that 18 bucks it nuts but i'm not "in the know" on all the other methods of transportations (red/green/ w/e line) therefore I only drive to games because i live in elmhurst. But i would gladly take the el down there if i knew about it.

kevingrt
05-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Thats the number of dollars it costs to drive your car and park at a Sox game. If you go alone and sit in the upper deck, you'll pay more to park than to see certain games.

Who does that $18 go to? Do the White Sox own that land and thus reep the benefit or someone else(Illinois Sports Facilities, whatever that group is called, city of Chicago, etc...)

I almost never park at official Sox parking but this past Saturday was forced to do so. Long story short, the whole operation is run ABYSMALLY. If the White Sox are not making the money from parking, I propose a WSI-wide boycott of parking at U.S. Cellular Field(unless you are tailgating, of course). If the money does go to the Sox, I think we need to bombard our ticket-reps with demands and suggestions about making the experience better.

I totally agree with your assessment of the pricing of parking is RIDICULOUS. However, I don't think anything is going to be done about it. It is on par with parking at the UC, AllState Arena, Soldier Field and is cheaper then parking around the Urinal.

I believe that a couple bucks goes to taxes, I wanna say $3. And the rest I would assume goes to the Illinois Sports Facilities because they do own the Cell, and I would assume the land surrounding it. Whoever owns it makes craploads of money though for just plain concrete.

kevingrt
05-08-2006, 10:15 PM

I totally agree with your assessment of the pricing of parking is RIDICULOUS. However, I don't think anything is going to be done about it. It is on par with parking at the UC, AllState Arena, Soldier Field and is cheaper then parking around the Urinal.

I believe that a couple bucks goes to taxes, I wanna say $3. And the rest I would assume goes to the Illinois Sports Facilities because they do own the Cell, and I would assume the land surrounding it. Whoever owns it makes craploads of money though for just plain concrete.

32nd&Wallace
05-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Sure it costs a lot of money if you are not patient and do not want to walk. Try west of Halstead, along 31st Street and you can park for free. Problem is, people are way too impulsive.

Scottiehaswheels
05-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Red Parking Pass $14- $11.50 for parking,$.75 City Tax, $1.75 County Tax
Green Parking Pass $18-$14.75 for parking, $1.00 City Tax, $2.25 County Tax

IlliniSox4Life
05-08-2006, 10:21 PM
I thought that this guy :reinsyowned most of the parking lots around the Cell, or am I mistaken?

DumpJerry
05-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Long story short, the whole operation is run ABYSMALLY.
How so? I park in Lot F and it is run beautifully. It never takes more than one minute to get out of the lot, even when I'm parked at the furthest end from the exit and the game just ended. I never have trouble getting in, either.

Of course, they failed to rotate my tires, change my oil and wax my car during last Thursday's day game and that disappointed me deeply.

As fas as where the money goes, after the taxes are paid, it goes to the White Sox. The lots are owned by the Illinois Sports Facility Authority and leased to the Sox. The lease gives the Sox exclusive control over the stadium and the parking lots. I know this because I know the lawyer who reviewed the lease for the city to determine if the Sox could allow tailgating in the lots. Since the lots are controlled by the Sox, they have the sole sayso if there can be open alcoholic containers in the lots.

ewokpelts
05-08-2006, 10:33 PM
i think that any land the team owned BEFORE they moved to the cell is still the team's land(like lot g, the site of the old park, ect)

The rest must be ISFA's.
They do contract out the work to standard parking.
Gene

elrod
05-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Park just east of the Dan Ryan in front of LaSalle High School. Very heavily patrolled (across from CPD HQ) and on a well-lit and busy 35th street. Or park in IIT. It's free, and a shorter walk than across Halsted.

BarbG
05-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I park in Lot F and it is run beautifully. It never takes more than one minute to get out of the lot, even when I'm parked at the furthest end from the exit and the game just ended. I never have trouble getting in, either.
I agree. We park in Lot F and had no problems - I thought it was way more organized and far improved since the last few years.

MUsoxfan
05-08-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm more than happy to pay $18-$20 to park my car there if they take a large chunk of that and field another World Series Winner.

Gavin
05-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Taking the train is pretty cheap if you don't mind spending a bit more time in transit.

dcb56
05-08-2006, 11:46 PM
I only park at the stadium for games I tailgate. Otherwise I park near Union Park and take the Green Line down from Ashland/Lake.

Has anyone here gotten an early-bird parking rate? I spoke with my ticket rep before the season started and was told the special would no longer be offered, but I'm wondering if that is really the case.

gbergman
05-09-2006, 12:18 AM
i take the train from my house in san diego

IronFisk
05-09-2006, 12:43 AM
Parking IS a scam! However, I don't think it's reached a level which keeps most people away. As long as they keep paying....

As for me, I finally scouted a decent site south of Pershing. There are several side streets over there that are in decent areas and used quite a bit by "cheapsakes" like yours truly :redneck. It's about a 5 block walk, but that's EASY considering the cost.

Blueprint1
05-09-2006, 12:57 AM
take the red line its $2 each way.

kittle42
05-09-2006, 01:01 AM
take the red line its $2 each way.

A good idea for those in the burbs (aside from moving to the city) is to park at a train station and take the train in.

StockdaleForVeep
05-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Whats more horse**** is the parkin lot by that food joint past the viaduct next to the sox parking 18 dollars is charging 30 dollars. The beefy italian must use the extra funds to oil himself up(not a racial comment, simply he was a big italian showin his muscles wearin one of those "hey im italian shirts") Reminded me of Chuck zito's clone who wasnt talented to make it to movies

Boozer
05-09-2006, 06:27 AM
Chuck Zito is talented?:?:

Just gotta make sure if you take the train or El that it will still be running after a long night game. I know people you have run into this problem in the past. ITT parking is free? I parked there for Opening Day & it was $18, but maybe that was just for ODay?

Steelrod
05-09-2006, 08:19 AM
I live in the burbs so must park. Sox lots at $14-18 are way cheaper than other venues in this city. Ever park downtown. $24 for 2 hours!
Guys, its 2006. If the trains your option, you are lucky. I've been waiting forever for METRA to stop at 35th. Hopefully, some day it will happen!

WhiteSoxFan5644
05-09-2006, 08:28 AM
I live in the burbs so must park. Sox lots at $14-18 are way cheaper than other venues in this city. Ever park downtown. $24 for 2 hours!
Guys, its 2006. If the trains your option, you are lucky. I've been waiting forever for METRA to stop at 35th. Hopefully, some day it will happen!

Ask, and you shall receive...

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/126abn1.htm

SoxFan78
05-09-2006, 08:55 AM
i agree that 18 bucks it nuts but i'm not "in the know" on all the other methods of transportations (red/green/ w/e line) therefore I only drive to games because i live in elmhurst. But i would gladly take the el down there if i knew about it.

CFAD, I used to live in Elmhurst and I took the El to all Sunday games. This is what you have to do. Take Roosevelt rd. east all the way to Des Plaines Ave. Go North on Des Plaines Ave. and take that about a mile up to the Forest Park Blue line train stop. Parking is three bucks and train is two bucks.

Take the blue line to Jackson, transfer to the red line, then you are on your way to the stadium.

Its about a 15-20 minute drive to the station, then another 30-40 minute train ride, but only a $7 total round trip! Can't beat that.

You could also take 290 to the Des Plaines Rd. exit, but that part is bad during rush hour.

If you need any details feel free to PM me.

As far as the parking at the Cell goes, luckily I found somebody on here to split some parking passes with. $14 a pass isn't bad at all. Last year I paid the $17 to park, but its great if you are tailgating. Pay the money, then tailgate, and the money you save by not spending it in the park pays for the parking itself!

18 Pack Bud Light bottles at Jewel = $13.99
18 beers in the park (with .25 tip) = $108.00

roylestillman
05-09-2006, 09:01 AM
As of 2005 the City's take of the $18 is $2.25 for the parking tax (same as all lots at that price.) I've heard about that station at 35th Street since the early eighties. Whenever you hear the term Feasibility Study consider it dead.

itsnotrequired
05-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Red Parking Pass $14- $11.50 for parking,$.75 City Tax, $1.75 County Tax
Green Parking Pass $18-$14.75 for parking, $1.00 City Tax, $2.25 County Tax

Are property taxes included in the city and county taxes or are these tallied separately? It seems like the city and county taxes are "entertainment taxes" and that the Sox have to pick up the property taxes on their own.

Blob
05-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Oy...:rolleyes:

rdwj
05-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Cobblestones has free parking with a purchase. I don't understand why anyone would pay for parking when you can have some good food and a beer before the game. It's a pretty short walk - easily worth the $20 it saves.

anewman35
05-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Whenever you hear the term Feasibility Study consider it dead.

Um, why? Pretty much everything a government agency builds goes through a feasibility study, including many things that actually get built.

D. TODD
05-09-2006, 10:39 AM
I park behind Catchers Inn and go in and have a few then walk to the Park. It's only a few short blocks past the parking lots, and for the $18 I'd rather have a few with friends pre-game, or just keep it rather then pay to save a 5 minute walk.

ewokpelts
05-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Um, why? Pretty much everything a government agency builds goes through a feasibility study, including many things that actually get built. plus, with IIT not only offering land BUT also design expertise, this looks like it's closer to reality.
Gene

IronFisk
05-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Ask, and you shall receive...

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/126abn1.htm
They also need a platform at 35th on the METRA Electric/South Shore Line.

ThirdBaseman
05-09-2006, 01:58 PM
I was wondering, I may be going to a Sox game in early June (and Im definitely going in August) and was thinking about taking the red line from the Roosevelt stop from the Midway train. Problem is, Ive heard all these horror stories about how the Red Line is very smelly, dirty and downright disgusting.

Does anyone reccommend taking the Red Line, or should I just take the 35th bus all the way there? Im trying to avoid parking in the lots.

Cat Thief
05-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I was wondering, I may be going to a Sox game in early June (and Im definitely going in August) and was thinking about taking the red line from the Roosevelt stop from the Midway train. Problem is, Ive heard all these horror stories about how the Red Line is very smelly, dirty and downright disgusting.

Does anyone reccommend taking the Red Line, or should I just take the 35th bus all the way there? Im trying to avoid parking in the lots.

The wife and I took the Orange to the Red a couple of weeks ago, it's not bad at all.

NardiWasHere
05-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Goin to my first game this year (A little post-finals celebration)... I usually take the red line... but I remember that earlier in the season, there was something on WSI talking about a problem with the platform outside the ballpark.... this still apply? did I go nuts and make all this up in my head?

SoxFan78
05-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Goin to my first game this year (A little post-finals celebration)... I usually take the red line... but I remember that earlier in the season, there was something on WSI talking about a problem with the platform outside the ballpark.... this still apply? did I go nuts and make all this up in my head?

They are renovating the 35th St. stop, but it is still open. No problem getting to Comiskey from there.

Huisj
05-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Last year, they usually only charged $7 or $8 to park if you got there really early. Did they quit doing that this year because of the expected bigger attendance?

TDog
05-09-2006, 03:31 PM
In theory, higher parking prices will inspire more people to use mass transit. In theory higher gas prices will inspire more people to use mass transit.

It doesn't always work out that way. Not in America, anyway.

StockdaleForVeep
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Chuck Zito is talented?:?:

Just gotta make sure if you take the train or El that it will still be running after a long night game. I know people you have run into this problem in the past. ITT parking is free? I parked there for Opening Day & it was $18, but maybe that was just for ODay?

He acted good as a goombah in Oz

ewokpelts
05-09-2006, 03:48 PM

Does anyone reccommend taking the Red Line, or should I just take the 35th bus all the way there? Im trying to avoid parking in the lots.red line is very safe from roosevelt to 35th.....but getting off at 35th and archer is a better idea, especially if you take the 39th street bus...super fast
Gene

I want Mags back
05-09-2006, 04:20 PM
I park at the Currency Exchange on Pershing just east of Princeton. just $10. "Big Dave" is always there with his beat up convertable. Its not too long a walk, and easy out on to the Ryan.