PDA

View Full Version : Coop on Baseball Tonight

SouthSidePride11
05-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Coop was on Baseball Tonight, and the gang asked him about the success of the pitching staff

BeviBall!
05-08-2006, 10:30 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand?

Scottiehaswheels
05-08-2006, 10:32 PM
What a tease.....

Chisox003
05-08-2006, 10:32 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand?
:rolling:

:whistle:

Edward
05-08-2006, 10:58 PM
ummmm, anyone care to elaborate?

IlliniSox4Life
05-08-2006, 11:02 PM
They asked him if he though Jose was the best pitcher in the AL now, he said he doesn't get a chance to watch all the other pitchers, but in his mind, Jose is.

They asked him what he does to keep the pitchers relaxed, and why guys like Jose and Vazquez are able to find more success here than elsewhere. He said something along the lines of communication being the key, and his favorite part of the job is just talking with the guys before their starts, in between innings, and afterwards. Then (I think it was Kruk?) asked him if they can understand him? It was a really wierd question because 1) I can perfectly understand Coop, 2) Ozzie is the one you can't understand, and 3) Coop has a NY accent - that's ESPN's bread and butter.

Anyway, he didn't really say much that anyone here hasn't heard before, but it was nice to get a little attention (by the way, Reynolds thinks Schilling is the best pitcher in baseball. He literally said something like "I don't care about the numbers").

Brian26
05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
They asked him if he though Jose was the best pitcher in the AL now, he said he doesn't get a chance to watch all the other pitchers, but in his mind, Jose is.

They asked him what he does to keep the pitchers relaxed, and why guys like Jose and Vazquez are able to find more success here than elsewhere. He said something along the lines of communication being the key, and his favorite part of the job is just talking with the guys before their starts, in between innings, and afterwards. Then (I think it was Kruk?) asked him if they can understand him? It was a really wierd question because 1) I can perfectly understand Coop, 2) Ozzie is the one you can't understand, and 3) Coop has a NY accent - that's ESPN's bread and butter.

Anyway, he didn't really say much that anyone here hasn't heard before, but it was nice to get a little attention (by the way, Reynolds thinks Schilling is the best pitcher in baseball. He literally said something like "I don't care about the numbers").

This is a great summary. I happened to catch this interview too, which is amazing because I never watch Baseball Tonight.

The only thing I can add is- Cooper talked a little about what they are working on individually with some of the pitchers. He talked about trying to focus on Vasquez and keeping his homerun totals down, and with Buehrle walks have never been a problem so they are focusing on reducing his hit totals per game.

It was a pretty quick interview...probably didnt last more than 2 or 3 minutes tops.

Scottiehaswheels
05-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Then (I think it was Kruk?) asked him if they can understand him? It was a really wierd question because 1) I can perfectly understand Coop, 2) Ozzie is the one you can't understand, and 3) Coop has a NY accent - that's ESPN's bread and butter.

Uh just thinkin here but maybe they were wondering if Jose can understand him because he only speaks Spanish?:D: not the inverse of what you were thinking

Edit.. I don't know why they would say they though... Javy/Freddie speak English just fine..

IlliniSox4Life
05-08-2006, 11:14 PM
The only thing I can add is- Cooper talked a little about what they are working on individually with some of the pitchers. He talked about trying to focus on Vasquez and keeping his homerun totals down, and with Buehrle walks have never been a problem so they are focusing on reducing his hit totals per game.

Yeah, forgot about that part. Dead on there too.

I don't watch baseball tonight much either unless I want to catch a replay of a great play the Sox made that day. I just happened to flip it on and heard a preview of something about talking about who was the best pitcher in the AL. I figured they had to at least mention Jose, so I tuned in, and was rewarded with a short interview with Coop.

I still really don't get why they asked Coop if the players could understand him. It seemed like Kruk and the gang weren't even paying attention to his answers.

EDIT:
Uh just thinkin here but maybe they were wondering if Jose can understand him because he only speaks Spanish?:D: not the inverse of what you were thinking

Edit.. I don't know why they would say they though... Javy/Freddie speak English just fine..

Yeah, that's what I thought at first, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about everybody, not just Contreras. It was meant as a joke, but it's only funny when there's some truth behind it, like with Ozzie. And it came at a point when Kruk had kinda interrupted Coop. It seemed awkward for the BT guys, like they kinda thought he was hard to understand. Maybe I am just reading too much into it, it just seemed odd.

MERPER
05-08-2006, 11:23 PM
If there was concern about Contreras and the possible DL, don't you guys think they would have asked Coop or that Coop would have mentioned something?

IlliniSox4Life
05-08-2006, 11:25 PM
If there was concern about Contreras and the possible DL, don't you guys think they would have asked Coop or that Coop would have mentioned something?

They mentioned the concern about the DL right after they talked to Coop on the phone, but I don't recall them asking him directly, maybe I missed it though.

Tragg
05-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Phillips and Kruk also said that Contreras was the best pitcher in the AL; Reynolds said Schilling.
Phillips said that the Sox should send down Anderson :angry: , Reynolds said they shouldn't, and Kruk was sort of in the middle saying sometimes if you tell a guy not to worry about how you hit, then sometimes they don't hit....yet, if you renege on that promise, it hurts confidence, trust ect. FWIW.

Kogs35
05-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Phillips and Kruk also said that Contreras was the best pitcher in the AL; Reynolds said Schilling.
Phillips said that the Sox should send down Anderson :angry: , Reynolds said they shouldn't, and Kruk was sort of in the middle saying sometimes if you tell a guy not to worry about how you hit, then sometimes they don't hit....yet, if you renege on that promise, it hurts confidence, trust ect. FWIW.

who cares what steve phillips says, theres a reason he got fired from the mets.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Who cares what Baseball Tonight says....end of story.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
05-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Anyway, he didn't really say much that anyone here hasn't heard before, but it was nice to get a little attention (by the way, Reynolds thinks Schilling is the best pitcher in baseball. He literally said something like "I don't care about the numbers").Apparently, he doesn't care about results, either.:rolleyes: