PDA

View Full Version : Paulie: Will his number be retired?

gobears1987
05-08-2006, 02:24 PM
We had this discussion about 2 years ago. Now that the Sox have won a World Series and that Paulie will be here for at least 5 more seasons, will he qualify to join the few Sox players who have had their numbers retired?

Also, besides Frank, what other players from the 2005 team will likely get this honor? If Thome hits number 500 here and finishes his career here, will he stand a chance of this honor since he would be the only Sox player to reach 500.

cbotnyse
05-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I agree with you. If they both finish off their carrers here and Thome gets over 500 HRs, they should be in line for a retired number. why not?

oeo
05-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I agree with you. If they both finish off their carrers here and Thome gets over 500 HRs, they should be in line for a retired number. why not?

I really cannot see Thome getting his number retired here.

As for Konerko, it totally depends on his performance in the next 5 years. If he puts up great numbers, I'm sure it will be a no doubter. As of right now, there is no telling, we will know when he's worthy.

rdwj
05-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Guys that have a chance...

Paulie
Buehrle
Crede

I don't think Thome will get his number retired here. He's more of a hired gun

salty99
05-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Jenks if he keeps blowing people away for the next 10 years like Mariano Rivera.

Hitmen77
05-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Guys that have a chance...

Paulie
Buehrle
Crede

I don't think Thome will get his number retired here. He's more of a hired gun

Do people think Ozzie has a chance of getting his number retired for the combination of his long playing career with the Sox AND managing us to a world championship?

Note, I'm not saying that either of these alone would get #13 on the outfield wall - but taken together, I'd say Ozzie has a good shot at it.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
No! What has he done to deserve this honor? It's not like he's led us to a World Series or anything.

Shakey Bonez
05-08-2006, 02:50 PM
I would say NO chance for Thome with the Sox.

Konerko, Buehrle have probably the best.
Crede and Contreras if they have another good 4-5 years are possibilities.

rdwj
05-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Do people think Ozzie has a chance of getting his number retired for the combination of his long playing career with the Sox AND managing us to a world championship?

Ya, I didn't even think of him for some reason. Ozzie has a great chance - and might even get a statue some day!

MERPER
05-08-2006, 03:03 PM
No Thome... Konerko and Buehrle have good chance... If Crede turns into the franchise third baseman and perennial All-Star for the next 10 years that we were told we'd have when he arrived, then maybe

I feel like Ozzie is a lock right now....

Palehose13
05-08-2006, 03:05 PM
No Thome... Konerko and Buehrle have good chance... If Crede turns into the franchise third baseman and perennial All-Star for the next 10 years that we were told we'd have when he arrived, then maybe

I feel like Ozzie is a lock right now....

I agree with everything you wrote.

rdwj
05-08-2006, 03:12 PM
If Crede turns into the franchise third baseman and perennial All-Star for the next 10 years that we were told we'd have when he arrived, then maybe

After all that, just maybe??? I think he's a lock with just the first one

cbotnyse
05-08-2006, 03:23 PM
this made me wonder, how many good years does Thome have left in him?

TDog
05-08-2006, 03:23 PM
The Sox already have an awful lot of numbers retired considering they have only won three World Series. A casual observer would think the standards are low on the South Side of Chicago.

I don't need a display to remind me that Konerko's number is Bill Melton's number. And I didn't believe Bill Melton's memory was slighted when they reissued it to someone unproven at the major league level.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Konerko will have a shot to have #14 retired. Frank Thomas is a shoe in (even though he left on a bad note). I don't think Thome will. How could Cleveland not retire his number after how many years he spent there? The only possibles I think is Buehrle.

White City
05-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Ya, I didn't even think of him for some reason. Ozzie has a great chance - and might even get a statue some day!

Yep! And it would look like this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4345&stc=1&d=1147120448

buehrle4cy05
05-08-2006, 03:55 PM
What? No mention of Magglio Ordonez's chances???

gobears1987
05-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Ya, I didn't even think of him for some reason. Ozzie has a great chance - and might even get a statue some day!I think you can remove the deep pink. He IS the face of the White Sox. If this team becomes a dynasty, then yes

gobears1987
05-08-2006, 04:04 PM
The Sox already have an awful lot of numbers retired considering they have only won three World Series. A casual observer would think the standards are low on the South Side of Chicago.

I don't need a display to remind me that Konerko's number is Bill Melton's number. And I didn't believe Bill Melton's memory was slighted when they reissued it to someone unproven at the major league level.I remember back in 04, we said no to Konerko because of Bill Melton, well after the 05 season things changed. Paulie is now becoming a consistent contributor, something he wasn't in previous years when he had massive slumps. He is also here for 5 more years, that would be over a decade playing on the south side. I like Melton, but he never was on the same level that Paulie is on now.

TDog
05-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I remember back in 04, we said no to Konerko because of Bill Melton, well after the 05 season things changed. Paulie is now becoming a consistent contributor, something he wasn't in previous years when he had massive slumps. He is also here for 5 more years, that would be over a decade playing on the south side. I like Melton, but he never was on the same level that Paulie is on now.

By "we" I'm guessing you mean a consensus of posters at WSI.

I like Bill Melton as a person now. I loved him as a player. I don't think his number should be retired. Frank Thomas will get his number retired when his career is over, but I believe retiring numbers of people who meet the "constisten contributor" standard cheapens the honor.

I don't need anything commemorating Bill Melton at the park to remember him and remind me he wore 14. The same will apply someday to Konerko.

Corlose 15
05-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Lets say Paulie plays another 7 years or so here and wins another seven championships. I think its a no brainer to retire #14, even with just one or two more rings.

Berkules
05-08-2006, 04:37 PM
this made me wonder, how many good years does Thome have left in him?

one and a half.

there's no way JT will get a # on the wall at the cell.
thomas- no brainer
konerko- probably needs a .300 season or two
buerhle- when he gets his 250th win with the sox we'll know
crede- well crede will be remembered as the best most clutchestest third baseman of all time...in the entire universe...ever..squared..so yeah

HITMEN OF 77
05-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Konerko is for sure going to have his number retired and if he continues to produce as he has for the next 5 seasons he'll be in the HOF IMO.

sodfatherjunior
05-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm pretty sure Damaso Marte has a good chance at getting number 43 retired by the Sox in the next couple of years.

Berkules
05-08-2006, 06:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Damaso Marte has a good chance at getting number 43 retired by the Sox in the next couple of years.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!

gobears1987
05-08-2006, 06:44 PM
one and a half.

there's no way JT will get a # on the wall at the cell.
thomas- no brainer
konerko- probably needs a .300 season or two
buerhle- when he gets his 250th win with the sox we'll know
crede- well crede will be remembered as the best most clutchestest third baseman of all time...in the entire universe...ever..squared..so yeah
I don't get the reasoning that Crede is automatic while PK isn't.:?:

Crede may have some clutch ABs, but he has failed to consistently put up good numbers. This year is looking good. If he can continue his success he's had so far, then he will be something very special, but it's way too early to call it for him.

Paulie has now shown consitency and when his current contract is up, he will have been here for over a decade. He was our best performer during the postseason, and will likely help lead us to more glory in October.

tick53
05-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I think Paulie has a darn good chance. Melton can then tell people that HIS
number was retired :D: .

tick53
05-08-2006, 07:37 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA!

KRS1
05-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Paulie's number will get retired, and this picture should be put up right next to it in case anyone needs a reason why.

http://www.nwherald.com/temporaryimages/bp65519.jpg

goon
05-08-2006, 09:12 PM
paulie's mug would look pretty awesome on the left field wall...

flo-B-flo
05-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Yes

IlliniSox4Life
05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Frank: No Doubt.
Nancy: Anyway we can retire a number for Nancy when she does leave permanently?
Ozzie: I would say it's about a 99% chance.
Paulie: If he plays out his current contract here without any major problems, yes.
Buehrle: If he plays another 8-10 years here, yes.
Crede: If he keeps it up and plays here, yeah, but it's a stretch to say so right now.

Basically any other guy who we have had for a while or is young enough for us to keep for a while has a shot some day if they stay with the club and keeps up production over a long period.

flo-B-flo
05-08-2006, 09:50 PM

Note, I'm not saying that either of these alone would get #13 on the outfield wall - but taken together, I'd say Ozzie has a good shot at it.
In my opinion, Ozzie lead us to the promised land. So he's a ****in God. Add that to doing his time with the franchise and Riensdorf. Easy call.

flo-B-flo
05-08-2006, 09:54 PM
I think Paulie has a darn good chance. Melton can then tell people that HIS
number was retired :D: . They'll retire the 14 and co induct them:smile:

soxstarter
05-08-2006, 09:59 PM
In my opinion, Ozzie lead us to the promised land. So he's a ****in God. Add that to doing his time with the franchise and Riensdorf. Easy call.

Amen Brother!

thomas35forever
05-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Depends on what he does for us in the future. I still think it's too early to talk about that. Frank definitely will. Thome won't have his number retired here. Maybe in Cleveland.

nedlug
05-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Kind of sick of the constant ripping on The Choice, but here goes anyway...

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/PHOTOFILE/AADC009_a.jpg

"What about #10, and the best fielding percentage of all-time?"

gbergman
05-09-2006, 12:26 AM
i say retire everyones number from the 05 championship team or build a room with everyones face on a plaque and their stats from the season and playoffs and how they contributed in the season and playoffs

doublem23
05-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Paulie's number will get retired, and this picture should be put up right next to it in case anyone needs a reason why.

http://www.nwherald.com/temporaryimages/bp65519.jpg

This would also make a great statue on the concourse one day.

TDog
05-09-2006, 04:21 AM
They'll retire the 14 and co induct them:smile:

When the Yankees retired Yogi Berra's No. 8 in 1973, they also retired it in honor of Bill Dickey who previously wore it. Not that the White Sox even considered honoring Walt "No Neck" Williams when they retired Harold Baines' No. 3.

Milw
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
This would also make a great statue on the concourse one day.
You took the words right out of my mouth. No matter what Paulie does the rest of his career, that shot of him with his arms raised watching the grand slam sail out of the park will be his enduring image.

Look at it this way: If we don't win another championship, then Paulie will be remembered as the last guy to lead us there. If we do win a couple more, then Paulie will be remembered as the guy who carried us to multiple championships. Either way, that warrants a statue and a retired number in my book.

rdwj
05-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Nancy: Anyway we can retire a number for Nancy when she does leave permanently?

There needs to be something for Nancy - no doubt.

HITMEN OF 77
05-09-2006, 09:18 AM
When the Yankees retired Yogi Berra's No. 8 in 1973, they also retired it in honor of Bill Dickey who previously wore it. Not that the White Sox even considered honoring Walt "No Neck" Williams when they retired Harold Baines' No. 3.

Nice reference to No Neck. He was however, one of the few bright spots on the late 60' early 70's Sox teams. Also a fan favorite from back then as well.

The Dude
05-09-2006, 09:22 AM
PK will for sure

As for the rest of them

MB, if he signs long term, yes
Thome- hes an Indian, not a chance
Crede- again, if he signs long term and stays a stud

soxinem1
05-09-2006, 09:45 AM

How about Bob James too, for that matter?

Regarding Konerko, well, I think he has evloved into an elite run producer, but he's only had two really good seasons and two good half seasons in my book. Even last year he had a low BA until late in the season.

If he has another five years similar to 2004 this can be revisited. Retiring numbers is a special honor which does not just acknowledge stats, but what the individual brought to the team as well. Right now, I'd have to say this is Paul's team, but he would have to remain one of the major forces and faces of White Sox baseball for some time.

Frank played parts of 16 seasons here, of which only 1998 and the injury-hit seasons were not outstanding, and he was the face of White Sox baseball for almost all of them. His number going on the wall is a given. Paul has been here eight years and has been All-Star caliber for about half those seasons, and has only been the face of the team the last couple. So I say he has to not only produce like he is now, and definitely not leave in a manner like Ordonez did in order for his number to be retired.

Milw
05-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Retiring numbers is a special honor which does not just acknowledge stats, but what the individual brought to the team as well.
This is exactly why Paulie has already earned the honor. He was the face of our first World Champion squad in 88 years. He hit one of the biggest home runs in team history in Game 2 of the World Series. He was the MVP of the ALCS and very easily could have been MVP of the WS. He is already fifth on the team's all-time home run list, and will probably finish his career at No. 2.

He's earned it. Period.

Berkules
05-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't get the reasoning that Crede is automatic while PK isn't.:?:

Crede may have some clutch ABs, but he has failed to consistently put up good numbers. This year is looking good. If he can continue his success he's had so far, then he will be something very special, but it's way too early to call it for him.

Paulie has now shown consitency and when his current contract is up, he will have been here for over a decade. He was our best performer during the postseason, and will likely help lead us to more glory in October.

I was just joking...

soxinem1
05-09-2006, 11:39 AM
This is exactly why Paulie has already earned the honor. He was the face of our first World Champion squad in 88 years. He hit one of the biggest home runs in team history in Game 2 of the World Series. He was the MVP of the ALCS and very easily could have been MVP of the WS. He is already fifth on the team's all-time home run list, and will probably finish his career at No. 2.

He's earned it. Period.

What about Blum and Podsednik? They also hit key HR's. Does this mean they get their numbers retired also? Geez, Contreras was lights out every game. Do we hang up his number too now?

We've had a lot of players have great seasons once or twice and helped the Sox get into the post season. Do we retire all those numbers too?

Hey, Paul is aces with me, but if his career were to end today or if he'd have left as a FA, no way does his number get hung up.

No he has not earned it, not yet.

We can have this discussion in five years minimum.

Milw
05-09-2006, 12:09 PM
What about Blum and Podsednik? They also hit key HR's. Does this mean they get their numbers retired also? Geez, Contreras was lights out every game. Do we hang up his number too now?

Those three get murals on the concourse. But ONLY Paulie can be legitimately described as THE face of the 2005 White Sox. Not taking anything away from the other 24 guys on that squad, it was a true team effort. But Paulie will forever be the symbol of that team.

I'm not saying that fact alone warrants number retirement. But you add to that the fact that he's already one of the franchise's top offensive players and will be climbing that list even further as well as a class act who is among the most popular players to ever wear the SOX, he's got the credentials.

Retiring numbers shouldn't be all about stats, nor should it be all about popularity, or big moments, or personality. It's all of those things taken together. Paulie fits the bill better than half the guys already out on that wall.

PBRWarrior
05-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Paulie has a shot as long has he continues to produce. I really think that Ozzie should be considered if he is the manager of the team for a couple of more years and he continues to get the guys to produce the way he has. Having your number retired his a huge thing. The big question mark is will Big Frank get a statue? Though he is an ego maniac, I belive he should be bronzed as he carried the orginizations throughout the 90's.

kobo
05-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Those three get murals on the concourse. But ONLY Paulie can be legitimately described as THE face of the 2005 White Sox. Not taking anything away from the other 24 guys on that squad, it was a true team effort. But Paulie will forever be the symbol of that team.

I'm not saying that fact alone warrants number retirement. But you add to that the fact that he's already one of the franchise's top offensive players and will be climbing that list even further as well as a class act who is among the most popular players to ever wear the SOX, he's got the credentials.

Retiring numbers shouldn't be all about stats, nor should it be all about popularity, or big moments, or personality. It's all of those things taken together. Paulie fits the bill better than half the guys already out on that wall.
He fits the bill better than which players that are currently on that wall? I love Konerko, but I don't think he comes close to matching what those players did for the organization. Like others have said, he plays 5 more years for us and maybe then we can consider retiring his number. And I disagree with Paulie being the face of our WS team, that would go to Ozzie more than anyone else.

IronFisk
05-09-2006, 12:51 PM

Well...personally I think OZZIE was the face of that team, since it was just that - a TEAM. No marquee players - just a out-front manager keeping everything in line. Complete highway robbery that he didn't get Manager of the Year, but I digress...

Based on what he has already done as a long-time player and manager, Ozzie is a LOCK right now - everything from here is gravy. Frank is a lock too, but it will take a few years - no pre-retirement shindig a-la Baines. As for everyone else, in this age of FA, let's just see where the chips fall. Paulie has an excellent chance if he sticks around. Same with Crede.

MisterB
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
If you want to figure time spent on the team into all this, the two retirees with the least amount are:
Minnie Minoso, with a little over 9 full years with the Sox (not counting his later cameos as 'years served'); and
Harold Baines, who had about 9 1/2 years on the Sox as of the time his number was retired.

Konerko has 7 full seasons with the Sox and is working on #8. I'd say revisit this discussion in another couple of years.

TDog
05-09-2006, 02:50 PM
If you want to figure time spent on the team into all this, the two retirees with the least amount are:
Minnie Minoso, with a little over 9 full years with the Sox (not counting his later cameos as 'years served'); and
Harold Baines, who had about 9 1/2 years on the Sox as of the time his number was retired.

Konerko has 7 full seasons with the Sox and is working on #8. I'd say revisit this discussion in another couple of years.

Which reminds me that Lee "Bee Bee" Richard had both of the numbers he wore with the Sox retired.

When he first came up in 1971, replacing Looie Aparicio, they gave him 11. maybe putting your rookie (soon to be minor league) shortstop in Aparicio's old number wasn't such a good move. They gave him 9 early in his rookie season. Jack Drees on television said it was to take the pressure off. Harry Caray didn't have a clue about even recent Sox history, but used to point out that Carlos May was wearing the number Dizzy Dean made famous.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but none of the players whose numbers were retired by the Sox ever played on a World Champion White Sox team. But there is a valid reason why Ed Walsh or Eddie Collins don't have the numbers retired.

ewokpelts
05-09-2006, 03:49 PM
We had this discussion about 2 years ago. Now that the Sox have won a World Series and that Paulie will be here for at least 5 more seasons, will he qualify to join the few Sox players who have had their numbers retired?

Also, besides Frank, what other players from the 2005 team will likely get this honor? If Thome hits number 500 here and finishes his career here, will he stand a chance of this honor since he would be the only Sox player to reach 500.
yes, if he stays healthy and productive.

Gene

Shoeless_Jim
05-09-2006, 09:24 PM
i can see thomas getting his number retired but thome not so much.

Epark84
05-09-2006, 09:59 PM
When does #21 get retired for the great sammy sosa?

esbrechtel
05-09-2006, 11:49 PM
they showed a graphic tonight about the sox all-time homerun list and paulie was just behind pudge (just 4 off)....if im not mistaken he could move up to third on the all time list and hes only 11 off of Baines which would put him second.....hes up there with baines, big frank, and fisk....all retired or soon to be retired numbers...and he hit a grand slam in the world series.....i think paulie has a pretty good shot IMO.

chaerulez
05-10-2006, 12:15 AM
I don't think anyone right on the roster is a lock for a retired number. But if I had to say who I think on the roster right now has the best chance its PK.

sodfatherjunior
05-10-2006, 02:17 AM
I know this is a stretch, but somebody mentioned Blum and Pods being retired, Pods has a chance if he's with the team for another 3-5 years. But nobody has mentioned the fact that Jermaine Dye, the World Series MVP who got the game winning hit for the Sox should be retired. Also, what about statues on the concourse. Pauly with his reaction to his slam would be a good statue but Dye, should possibly be a good number to retire even though he hasn't been with the team for long and Robin had his number, maybe they could retire him and Dye together. Personally, I'd say Robin should get retired and Dye should get some sort of recognition out there b/c he was a World Series MVP.

Theanticub
05-10-2006, 03:47 AM

Was going to teal this..but figured why so here it goes....

If we retire every amazing player on the sox lineup..we would be out of wall.

soxinem1
05-12-2006, 12:17 PM
So far we have Robin, Dye, Paulie, Frank, Ozzie, and others having their numbers retired.

If this keeps up, the numbers like 70, 86, 94, etc. will not just be ST numbers, they will be for guys on the roster, as all the numbers will be retired!!!

Then again, teal may not be needed.