PDA

View Full Version : Thome and Konerko ... if they were cubs

MadetoOrta
05-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Could you imagine if Thome and Konerko were on the cubs? They'd be compared to Ruth and Gehrig. There'd be daily articles about what a great guy [he is] Thome is and how great it is for Konerko to take less money than the LAA offered to keep playing "for the great cub fans". Today's opinion poll would be "Should Jim Thome be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for being so nice?"

Instead, we get a washed-up overhyped pitcher who struck out a bunch of Class A players. Pathetic. Thoughts?

drewcifer
05-08-2006, 02:24 PM
But Thome and Konerko would never be on the Cubs because they are WINNERS.

(Strict Cubs policy prevents it. 98 years strong)

Chip Z'nuff
05-08-2006, 02:30 PM
They couldn't be on the same team as no DH in the NL.

In short it can never happen, & it will never happen

Sarah
05-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I was thinking both would be injured if they played for the Cubs...but rehabbing and soon-to-be rejoining the team. Cross my heart.

TommyJohn
05-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Thome almost WAS a Cub. he offered to take a hometown discount to sign
with them before 2003. The Cubs opted for Hee Seop Choi. You know how
some people here say that Jerry Reinsdorf "handed" Chicago to the Cubs?
Well, it appears as if the Cubs are now returning the favor.

Chip Z'nuff
05-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Thome almost WAS a Cub. he offered to take a hometown discount to sign
with them before 2003. The Cubs opted for Hee Seop Choi. You know how
some people here say that Jerry Reinsdorf "handed" Chicago to the Cubs?
Well, it appears as if the Cubs are now returning the favor.
Thome would have been on the DL for most of 05 due to tendinitis, again even if he WAS on the Cubs the fans would have ridden him out of town on a rail. It was fate for him to end his career here

MadetoOrta
05-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I fully understand the "no DH" in the NL and all. I guess the purpose of my post was to ask how the media would treat these guys if they were on the cubs. One [Thome] is almost a lock Hall of Famer and the other may get there; the Grand Slam in the WS won't hurt when that vote comes up. Anyhow, just frustrating to see these guys getting slighted all the time.

rocky biddle
05-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Telander had a nice fluff piece about Thome in today's Sun-Times.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick08.html

I understand your point though. It's like the dropped third strike controversy with AJ. If Derek Lee (or most any cub) had done the same thing, he would've been hailed as a gritty, heads-up player. Instead AJ gets branded a cheater.

It's hard, but you can't let this kind of stuff drive you crazy. The only thing you can do is refute the biased spin with fact.

Just last Friday Vince Vaughn was on Letterman. Vaughn was asked about Chicago and he said something like, "The city's great, you got the cubs, the Sox are great." And Letterman broke in with, "Of course the White Sox are great. They're the defending World Series Champions." Times are changing. A few years ago the Sox wouldn't have been mentioned. They're just a few successful seasons from changing the way the country (and this city) view baseball in Chicago.

RKMeibalane
05-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I think PHG wrote an article similar to this back in 2000, speculating on what it would be like if the Sox played their home games at the Urinal, or if players like Frank Thomas had played for the Cubs instead of the Sox. I think he made the same points that many of you have made. There's no doubt in my mind that the media would have a much more favorable opinion of Sox players if they wore pajamas for a living.

Chip Z'nuff
05-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Sorry didn't mean to rally up against your post. I see where your coming from

MadetoOrta
05-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Sorry didn't mean to rally up against your post. I see where your coming from

No sweat. All these threads prove KW was right when he said "We have to win the World Series twice to get respect from the media around here." I thought he was crazy. I thought just winning the WS would turn things around. I was wrong. Let's just go win this thing again, sell out the Cell and enjoy this ride!

MeteorsSox4367
05-08-2006, 03:43 PM
If Thome and Konerko played for the Cubs, they would be deified to levels unseen. Nice guys who can hit the hell out of the ball playing on the North Side? They might even get their own show on the WB.

TDog
05-08-2006, 03:45 PM
It wasn't so long ago that Thome was a Cub, or at least a future Cub. He never played for the Cubs because he didn't sign, but fans were talking about how much he wanted to play for the Cubs and how he would give them a home-team discount, his desire to be a Cub was so strong. So strong he went to the Phillies, as it turned out. You would think Cubs fans had never heard of him when he ended up on the Sox.

I think Thome gets plenty of respect in the Chicago media as it is.

soxstarter
05-08-2006, 10:08 PM
It wasn't so long ago that Thome was a Cub, or at least a future Cub. He never played for the Cubs because he didn't sign, but fans were talking about how much he wanted to play for the Cubs and how he would give them a home-team discount, his desire to be a Cub was so strong. So strong he went to the Phillies, as it turned out. You would think Cubs fans had never heard of him when he ended up on the Sox.

I think Thome gets plenty of respect in the Chicago media as it is.

Good things come to those who wait. :D: