PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/8/06

Hangar18
05-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Being a team that just Won the World Series in 2005, and currently is in 1st Place with the Best Record in Baseball, what do you think the treatment would be in the Chicago Media? Tons of coverage finally? More positive and poignant stories on the team? WRONG. Something is very very wrong here in Chicago.

For instance, the White Sox won yesterday and have the Best Record in baseball, and whats on the cover of the Tribune today? A FULL COLOR giant picture of Kerry Wood pitching. The headline? "Letting it Go" -"Wood overwhelms ..."
Mark Buehrle pitched in a game that counts, and his headline? "Fueling Concern" -"Buehrle labors". Cubs PR and Propoganda director Mike Kiley took all of this a step further gratuitiously mentioning over the weekend that Kerry Wood will be pitching for Peoria, and openly wonders how many "fans" will break the attendance record there (in an effort to get fans to go there). Both newspapers cover his start as a MAJOR story, sending a reporter there!

The Tribune even decides a CubFluff piece on the manager of the Peoria team, an ex-cub of course, is in order.
The SunTimes yesterday does a Fluff piece on the batting helmets the Cubs are wearing in yesterdays paper! Is all of this really happening? Didnt the Media say the only reason the Cubs got all of the coverage previously was becuase they were "winning", and when the SOX start "winning" the coverage will swing around back in their favor?

Am1000 yesterday and Bruce Levineline yesterday devoted most of their baseball radio show to wailing and gnashing of teeth as to whats wrong with that other team, and how bad this is that Derrek Lee is hurt. I distinctly remember saying to myself SO WHAT, talk about the SOX, and how we can use bullpen help, or how great Thome is playing, or how were in 1st Place.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, its first title in 88 years, the White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves lagging FAR FAR Behind in Media Coverage to a team that, since 1950 has only 3 90-win seasons, finished in 4th place in 2005, 3rd Place in 2004, and is currently mired in 4th place now. Whats wrong with this picture???
Chicago Tribune:
7 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
7 cub stories
4 sox stories
Standings as of Monday May 8th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th Place in 2005 Cubs 369
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 318

MadetoOrta
05-08-2006, 10:45 AM
In my view, we just cut and paste Hangar's posts, email them to cubune writers and others. The sheer annoyance of repeatedly receiving these emails will exact some ype of response. Positive or otherwise.

Dan Mega
05-08-2006, 10:46 AM
At this pace the Cubs will be ahead by 100 when the All Star game hits. Truly pathetic.

SOXPHILE
05-08-2006, 11:05 AM
7-4 Cubs over Sox in todays Trib. I count the same. Disgusting. The headlines and them is the most pathetic, glaring example. No bias here, right Tribune ? Paging Mr. Knue. Paging Rick Morrisey. Just wondering how a rehab start in "A" ball by a pitcher that has never won 15 games in a season MERITS A HUGE, FULL COLOR PICTURE, with a "What his line ?" blurb underneath, showing the number of pitches, strikes, runs etc. ? Meanwhile, a win by the team with the best record in baseball (and last year's WS Champs) gets a FUELING CONCERN headline ??!! Can you and the rest of your ilk in The Tower honestly look at this and say with a straight face that there's no bias at your Big Blue Corporation ?

Chip Z'nuff
05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
That Trip story about Buerle was completely uncalled for (granted I didn't read it I only saw the headline and quickly closed my browser). Any mention of having a 3rd starter on almost any club as our long releaf guy? Nope! Keep up the stellar reporting Tripune

Hangar18
05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
This is truly and amazingly pathetic. I had a friend email me earlier this morning. Hes a big Nba/Bulls fan and watches the games and is knowledgeble about the game. He has become somewhat of a SOX "sympathizer" because of me all of these years. He would ask why I hate that other team so much and the Tribune, and I would explain to him my reasons. he too used to think I was a little crazy. He messages me today and says .............."You know what, the more I look at the papers and the news, the more I see what your saying. The SOX have the best record in baseball again right? I look at the paper this morning, and theres Kerry Wood in a practice game (he thought it was practice) and theyve got a story and his stats, like it was a real game. Cmon thats ridiculous"

cleanwsox
05-08-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm sorry, but that Sox article in the Tribune is the most ridicoulous thing I have ever seen. Buehrle allows 2 Er's in 6 innings, and they have a poll asking "Are you worried about Buehrle?"

:angry:

Unbelievable, can't wait to dominate the October headlines once again.

TomBradley72
05-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Yes...thanks to the Cubs propaganda machine....everyone should be more excited about Carrie Wood's great performance against a single A minor league team and concerned about Buehrle's 6 IP, 2 ER performance against KC.

Since MB was called up in 2000...here's the comparison:

Buehrle: 85-53, 3.63 ERA (in a much tougher league, #4 in wins in MLB over this time)
Wood: 57-48, 3.72 ERA (9 trips to the DL, #31 in wins in MLB over this time...behind nearly every starter in the White Sox rotation)

Hangar18
05-08-2006, 11:46 AM
I was out on Sat nite, and caught the last couple of innings of the game on a couple of the tvs. As soon as 9pm came, the SOX game was magically "switched" to the Padre game, and was forced to watch only 1 tv as the other 12 tvs were all switched to that game. WGN made damn sure Saturday nite, to show as many flub fans in the stands as possible. They used every inning break, and between batters, to show at least 35-40 times before I quit counting, the various flub fans sitting in stands. WGN actually got caught missing part of a play, being too busy showing the fans in the park.

BainesHOF
05-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Sports department employees of the Tribune and Sun-Times, come out, come out wherever you are and please explain the story discrepancy.

palehozenychicty
05-08-2006, 11:54 AM
I was out on Sat nite, and caught the last couple of innings of the game on a couple of the tvs. As soon as 9pm came, the SOX game was magically "switched" to the Padre game, and was forced to watch only 1 tv as the other 12 tvs were all switched to that game. WGN made damn sure Saturday nite, to show as many flub fans in the stands as possible. They used every inning break, and between batters, to show at least 35-40 times before I quit counting, the various flub fans sitting in stands. WGN actually got caught missing part of a play, being too busy showing the fans in the park.

:rolleyes: my, how the mighty have risen again!

itsnotrequired
05-08-2006, 11:54 AM
WGN actually got caught missing part of a play, being too busy showing the fans in the park.

WGN does the same thing when the Sox play. How many first pitches are missed a game when coming back from commercial? It is at least three a game.

SOXPHILE
05-08-2006, 12:08 PM
WGN does the same thing when the Sox play. How many first pitches are missed a game when coming back from commercial? It is at least three a game.

They did it again yesterday ! I forget which inning it was, but they came back from a commercial, just as Crede was fielding and throwing out the first Royal batter of the inning. Didn't see the pitch (pitches ?) or who was even batting until they said who it was that just grounded out. Bush league.:angry:

cheeses_h_rice
05-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Pathetic.

Gee, I wonder if the Flubs had MLB's best record at 22-9 and the Sox were laboring in 5th place, 6 games behind, would the situation be the same?

(cheeses_h_rice, WHO YOU CRAPPIN'?)

:rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
05-08-2006, 12:49 PM
WGN actually got caught missing part of a play, being too busy showing the fans in the park.To be fair, this happens during WGN broadcasts of Sox games too. During Sunday's game, they were constantly cutting to shots of fans in the park. Once in a while is fine, but WGN goes overboard. It's as if the producers have attention deficit disorder and need to keep cutting away to look at other things.

chuckn98229
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
I could not believe the number of idiotic cub stories on the cubune's web front page this morning! It's enough to make you heave! This is a team that is mediocre at best. I guess we World Champion White Sox fans are just caught in a Bizarro World created by the Chicago mediots.

maurice
05-08-2006, 01:56 PM
2 ER in 6 IP = 3.00 ERA + Sox win. Do you know how many teams would LOVE to have a pitcher who could toss 6 innings with a 3 ERA? Can you imagine the headliens if Maddux did that?!?

Buehrle: 85-53, 3.63 ERA

Yeah, but what's his record in towel-ball, simulated games, and minor-league rehab starts? That's obviously more important to the Chicago media.
:rolleyes:

The Sox AAA team currently is better than the Cubs MLB team.

sullythered
05-08-2006, 02:41 PM
The thing I just don't get about all the Wood love is that the guy just isn't that great, healthy or otherwise. He's a pretty good pitcher, but come on. Actually, if you look at the numbers, he is strikingly similar to El Duque. Orlando was good and all, but when he was out we didn't talk about his return at every opportunity.

Orlando Hernandez-1998 to 2005- 70-49, 4.11 ERA (in American League)
Kerry Wood-1998 to 2005- 70-54, 3.67 ERA (in National League)

palehozenychicty
05-08-2006, 03:07 PM
The thing I just don't get about all the Wood love is that the guy just isn't that great, healthy or otherwise. He's a pretty good pitcher, but come on. Actually, if you look at the numbers, he is strikingly similar to El Duque. Orlando was good and all, but when he was out we didn't talk about his return at every opportunity.

Orlando Hernandez-1998 to 2005- 70-49, 4.11 ERA (in American League)
Kerry Wood-1998 to 2005- 70-54, 3.67 ERA (in National League)

We must revisit this thread if Kenny trades for El Duque in July to shore up the pen. (no pink necessary).

mantis1212
05-08-2006, 03:09 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060508cubscallup,1,1006297.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Not to hijack- but reading the article made me laugh about the cubs new call-up today. They reported that this guy was called up because "sources told the tribune".

They need sources to tell them this? They OWN the freakin' team!!

PaulDrake
05-08-2006, 03:16 PM
WGN does the same thing when the Sox play. How many first pitches are missed a game when coming back from commercial? It is at least three a game. It seemed to me that it was more than that the last game (yesterday) I watched.

palehozenychicty
05-08-2006, 03:50 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060508cubscallup,1,1006297.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Not to hijack- but reading the article made me laugh about the cubs new call-up today. They reported that this guy was called up because "sources told the tribune".

They need sources to tell them this? They OWN the freakin' team!!

Another all-star second baseman for the ballot.