PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Match-ups Cubs vs. Sox May 19-21 at The Cell...

DrCrawdad
05-08-2006, 09:49 AM
The Sox seem pretty set, considering the Sox have only one day off before that series.

Friday, Garcia
Saturday, Contreras
Sunday, Garland

The Cubs, on the other hand, their rotation is in flux. Add to that they have the Monday off just before coming to The Cell.

They could possibly have Maddux on Friday and Zambozo on Sunday.

In case you missed it, Wood pitched yesterday and if he goes every fifth day, he'd miss the Sox series. HOWEVER, how much do you want to bet that Wood makes his (annual) comeback in the series at The Cell.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-08-2006, 11:57 AM
In case you missed it, Wood pitched yesterday and if he goes every fifth day, he'd miss the Sox series. HOWEVER, how much do you want to bet that Wood makes his (annual) comeback in the series at The Cell.

Good. Thome can go 4-5, Konerko can go 4-5, Crede and Dye can both go 5-5, and Pods can steal 15 bases on the Tin Man.

hawkjt
05-08-2006, 12:46 PM
They are saying that woods first start will likely be against the Nats on wed. of the week of the sox series so that would rule him out.

That would be Marshalls spot in the rotation who they could either put in the Tues. game or push him to Thurs.

The way that the sox struggle against leftys makes me leery of Marshall. I have to say I hope they push him to Thurs and we miss him. I doubt it will happen as he is probably their most effective pitcher of late.

I am guessing that the sox will face maddux, zambrano, and marshall.

Go Sox.

chisoxmike
05-08-2006, 12:50 PM
I would bet money that they hold Wood off so his first start will be for Friday May 19.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Carrie Woods is "scheduled" to join the Cubs on May 17th. Knowing Dusty Baker, in an attempt to "save the season" and/or "revitalize" the team and the fans, he will throw Maddux on Friday, Zambrano on Saturday, and Woods on Sunday.

DrCrawdad
05-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Carrie Woods is "scheduled" to join the Cubs on May 17th. Knowing Dusty Baker, in an attempt to "save the season" and/or "revitalize" the team and the fans, he will throw Maddux on Friday, Zambrano on Saturday, and Woods on Sunday.

If Wood is back and ready, or even close (and how can there be any question after Wood struck out 85 single A players), he will pitch against the Sox in the upcoming series at The Cell.

CHISOXFAN13
05-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Everything I've read has him scheduled to pitch the 17th against Washington.

That makes more sense because the Nationals suck, and I'm not sure what point pitching him against the Sox would prove. He has a much better shot at success pitching against the Nats.

peeonwrigley
05-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Everything I've read has him scheduled to pitch the 17th against Washington.

That makes more sense because the Nationals suck, and I'm not sure what point pitching him against the Sox would prove. He has a much better shot at success pitching against the Nats.

Having Carrie get shelled at the Cell would be an awful way to start his season. If I was Dusty, Woods wouldn't see the mound in that series.

Viva Medias B's
05-09-2006, 12:08 AM
The way things are going for the Cubs, I wonder if Dusty will still be around when the Cubs come here to play us.

kittle42
05-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Is this a playoff series?

DrCrawdad
05-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Is this a playoff series?

It may very well be the closest the Cubs get to the playoffs this year.

kittle42
05-09-2006, 01:56 AM
It may very well be the closest the Cubs get to the playoffs this year.

Good for them. But why do we care about that?

DrCrawdad
05-15-2006, 01:28 AM
From the Cubune:

The Cubs, who are in a state of pitching flux, are expected to start Greg Maddux (2-2 vs. Sox with a 5.64 ERA in four starts), Rich Hill (no appearances vs. Sox) and Carlos Zambrano (2-1, 3.09 ERA vs. Sox) and will come in as definite underdogs.

HotelWhiteSox
05-15-2006, 01:30 AM
The way things are going for the Cubs, I wonder if Dusty will still be around when the Cubs come here to play us.

I bet a sweep to the Sox would be the last straw

spiffie
05-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Good for them. But why do we care about that?
Because playing us might be the only time they have any inspiration to play like they're not a group of AA players given major league uniforms. This team has pretty much given up on the season and you can see it in their play. But for these three games they will likely play above their heads and keep it tighter than it should have any right to be looking at the respective teams.

DrCrawdad
05-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Maddux got knocked hard last year at The Cell by the Sox. However then at the Shrine IIRC he shut-down the Sox.

When Maddux gets pitches called his way (IE balls being called strikes) he is tough. On the other hand, when the homeplate ump makes him throw the ball over the plate, Maddux often gets hit hard.

I just hope the homeplate ump is not in Maddux backpocket.

Dick Allen
05-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Maddux got knocked hard last year at The Cell by the Sox. However then at the Shrine IIRC he shut-down the Sox.
Actually, it was the other way around. The Sox pounded him at the urinal, lost to him at the cell. Hopefully with Thome at DH this year, Maddux won't see the 5th inning.

DrCrawdad
05-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Actually, it was the other way around. The Sox pounded him at the urinal, lost to him at the cell. Hopefully with Thome at DH this year, Maddux won't see the 5th inning.

I guess I was thinking of this game from 2004 (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-040627soxcubsgamer,1,5724973.story?coll=cs-whitesox-navigation):

Cubs starter Greg Maddux (6-6) was hammered in a four-inning outing, yielding nine runs (seven earned) on 11 hits and two walks.

soxwon
05-15-2006, 11:41 PM
When the sox have to they DESTROY.
The cubs will pull out all stops to win 1 game.
For the most part, the sox should creamate the Flubs.
A Bosox fan at work- who Loves this Wsox team says
The sox might shut them out all 3 games this weekend.
i can see it happening.
5 games to 1 sox trounce the cubs

my prediction 6 games sox score 42 runs
cubs 19

QCIASOXFAN
05-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Because playing us might be the only time they have any inspiration to play like they're not a group of AA players given major league uniforms. This team has pretty much given up on the season and you can see it in their play. But for these three games they will likely play above their heads and keep it tighter than it should have any right to be looking at the respective teams. I doubt Rusty Dusty is gonna spark them to go out and play harder than normally play, which is not hard. We still have to play the game and all but how many runs do we have to score against this team to get a win 3 or 4? They are an awful team with a worse manager who finds a different way to loose a game everyday, who thinks that "walks are overrated". At home there is no reason for us not to 10 run rule this team every game.

Britt Burns
05-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Dusty is going to call up Carrie early so he can pitch on Saturday, and then let him throw 143 pitches to get out of the 4th inning of a 11-1 Sox win where he gives up 8 walks and three homers. Wood will strike out Brian Anderson on a disputed called third strike, leading millions of cub fans to reminisce about that day in 1928 when wood struck out 38 Astros.

Baker will then do the same to Prior when the Sox are at the Urinal.

1 Dog
05-18-2006, 01:58 AM
If Dusty were smart (and he's not), his ideal rotation would be Maddux, Zambrano, and Marshall. Marshall is inconsistent, but he appears to belong in MLB. Did I mention Marshall is LH? :?:

Maddux is still Maddux. If he gets the corners, he is tough to beat. Fortunately, he gives up more contact every year, and this Cubs' team also sucks in the field. Furthermore, Maddux really needs at least three runs to win, even when he's on and pitching complete games. The Cubs are struggling to score even two runs a game right now. Still, Maddux is their best shot at scratching out a win. Did I mention that the Cubs' bullpen is playing "Boone Logan of the Day?"

Playing for this team will prevent Maddux from reaching 400 wins. I seriously doubt that he would have made it, but it's pretty much kaput now.

Zambrano has not been pitching as well as Garcia, but they seem to have a similar problem (insert ganja joke here). But seriously folks, both were in the WBC, have struggled early, lower than anticipated velocity, etc. Zambrano has been doing better in his last two starts. Like Maddux, he is capable of avoiding the pen altogether, but not so far this season.

Marshall is an enigma shrouded in mystery, or something like that. He has stretches of dominance and stretches of tossing BP. He's basically a rookie, IIRC. He's LH, which means he will have a job in the majors, anyway. Marshall probably only looks good compared to the yawning abyss that is the rest of their staff. He was won, but only against pretty crummy NL lineups. This will be an interesting game.

EDIT: Forgot to sum up. Maddux has a slim chance against Garcia (if only because he is still capable of completely shutting a team down a few times a season). Even half a Contreras will beat Zambrano. Marshall is likely to go Three Mile Island. The Cubs cannot score on the Misfit Toys that are your typical NL 3rd-5th starters, so this discussion is purely academic. Sox really should sweep handily.

Here's a sweet dream for tonight: Who can the Cubs start at DH? Mabry? Bwha ha ha hahahahhahaha...

oeo
05-18-2006, 02:13 AM
Doesn't really matter to me who the Flubs throw out there. With Buehrle, Freddy, and Contreras on the mound, I'm expecting a sweep. Buehrle has had a few tough starts, but I think he will be on his game come Friday. Freddy has been solid, and hopefully Contreras keeps that same form from before his injury.

Cubs...*yawn*

Edward
05-18-2006, 02:15 AM
Dusty is going to call up Carrie early so he can pitch on Saturday

No, I've read this a bunch of times on this board. Not true, he is coming back TODAY (5-18), the media has been reporting this since last week, go to cubs.com and look at today's match up. Did everyone miss this, or what?

Baby Fisk
05-18-2006, 12:56 PM
So, are the matchups confirmed now?
Is Contreras definitely back this weekend?

Edward
05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
So, are the matchups confirmed now?
Is Contreras definitely back this weekend?

As of now, yes.

linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=cws)

Baby Fisk
05-18-2006, 03:40 PM
As of now, yes.

linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=cws)
Wow, I've never seen that page before. Thanks eh! :cheers:

soxwon
05-18-2006, 10:03 PM
I hope the Real sox show up, not the team that played TAMPA.
Now were in second, lets take 2 of 3 from the cubs.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I hope the Real sox show up, not the team that played TAMPA.
Now were in second, lets take 2 of 3 from the cubs.

What's this 2 of 3 business? I want all 3 of them!

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Two comments of this series:

1. The Sox played Thursday night and won't be home until early in the morning. I don't know if Ozzie is going to want early BP (I wouldn't the rest is more important) but you could see the 'Sunday / Getaway Day' reserve lineup because his regulars are tired and he may be willing to risk one game for two.

2. I remember in 1999 when the Sox behind Mike 'Slappy' Caruso swept them in Wrigley. The Sox were a garbage team but relied on emotion to carry them. The Cubs have absolutely no business being in this series, but they will. That's what a rivalry does and Maddux and Zambrano aren't chopped liver.

Let's put it this way if the Sox play this weekend like they did against the friggin' Tampa Bay Devil Rays, it's going to be a long three days.

Lip

Chips
05-19-2006, 12:09 AM

When Maddux gets pitches called his way (IE balls being called strikes) he is tough. On the other hand, when the homeplate ump makes him throw the ball over the plate, Maddux often gets hit hard.

I just hope the homeplate ump is not in Maddux backpocket.

The Cubs hit a grand slam off Contreras in the 1st or 2nd inning last year at the cell, when Erroris Ramirez went deep.

We had a couple of solo jacks, and then Crede almost went yard for a game tying jack in the second when Hollandworth (?) robbed him and we lost the game.

QCIASOXFAN
05-19-2006, 12:29 AM
The Cubs hit a grand slam off Contreras in the 1st or 2nd inning last year at the cell, when Erroris Ramirez went deep.

We had a couple of solo jacks, and then Crede almost went yard for a game tying jack in the second when Hollandworth (?) robbed him and we lost the game. I completely forgot about that loser Todd Hollandworth robbing Crede :angry: :angry:

soxwon
05-19-2006, 09:47 PM
What's this 2 of 3 business? I want all 3 of them!

looks that way now.