PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Barry Zito to Mets for Milledge?

WhiteSoxFan84
05-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Buster Olney was just on ESPN's Mike & Mike In The Morning and said that Billy Beane is in love with New York Mets prospect Lastings Milledge and sees a possible trade between the Mets and the Oakland Athletics in-which Barry Zito would end up in Flushing Meadows.

The Mets just finished placing Victor Zambrano on the disabled list and he is out for the year as he will need Tommy John Surgery. Because of that injury, this trade makes more sense. Zito is a free agent after this season. Milledge is on outfielder.

Zito: 2-2, 4.07 ERA, 42 IP, 30 H, 30 K, 17 BB

Milledge in AAA: .321 BA, .451 OBP, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 7 SB, 19 BB, 20 K

Optipessimism
05-08-2006, 08:51 AM
If the Mets pull this off, I think we have our opponent in the World Series.

Baby Fisk
05-08-2006, 09:42 AM
The Mets are beyond desperation for another starter. Zambrano's done for the season, the Bannister kid is on the DL, and yesterday they were so desperate they had to resort to this clown:

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9500/lima0pw.jpg

Lima imploded right from the start, and the Mets were routed. The pressure for Minaya to land another arm is escalating.

chaerulez
05-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Maybe this quick fix trade would work for them now, but Milledge looks like he will be a star in this league.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-08-2006, 03:27 PM
As a Mets fan, I hope this doesn't play out like their recent pre and post Minaya pitching debacles.

Pre Minaya

7/30/04
Acquired RHP Victor Zambrano and RHP Bartolome Fortunato from Tampa Bay in exchange for LHP Scott Kazmir and RHP Jose Diaz. :angry: :angry: :angry:

8/27/04
Traded RHP Dan Wheeler to Houston for minor league OF Adam Seuss, who was assigned to Class-A St. Lucie :angry:

Post Minaya

1/4/06
Acquired RHP Duaner Sanchez and RHP Steve Schmoll from the Dodgers in exchange for RHP Jae Seo and LHP Tim Hamulack :angry:

1/21/06
Acquired RHP Jorge Julio and RHP John Maine from the Orioles in exchange for RHP Kris Benson. :angry: :angry:

palehozenychicty
05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
As a Mets fan, I hope this doesn't play out like their recent pre and post Minaya pitching debacles.

Pre Minaya

7/30/04
Acquired RHP Victor Zambrano and RHP Bartolome Fortunato from Tampa Bay in exchange for LHP Scott Kazmir and RHP Jose Diaz. :angry: :angry: :angry:

8/27/04
Traded RHP Dan Wheeler to Houston for minor league OF Adam Seuss, who was assigned to Class-A St. Lucie :angry:

Post Minaya

1/4/06
Acquired RHP Duaner Sanchez and RHP Steve Schmoll from the Dodgers in exchange for RHP Jae Seo and LHP Tim Hamulack :angry:

1/21/06
Acquired RHP Jorge Julio and RHP John Maine from the Orioles in exchange for RHP Kris Benson. :angry: :angry:

You forgot that he rebuilt today's Indians when he was the Expos/Nats GM, trading large bartolo for sizemore, lee, martinez, et. al. This man should not be allowed to make trades. Period. Btw, Zambrano-for-Kazmir was Duquette, the interim GM at the time. Effect still the same, as Omar would've done it anyway if he could. Stupid trades/FA signings=Met GMs go hand in hand, sadly. :(:

SouthSide_HitMen
05-08-2006, 04:02 PM
You forgot that he rebuilt today's Indians when he was the Expos/Nats GM, trading large bartolo for sizemore, lee, martinez, et. al. This man should not be allowed to make trades. Period. Btw, Zambrano-for-Kazmir was Duquette, the interim GM at the time. Effect still the same, as Omar would've done it anyway if he could. Stupid trades/FA signings=Met GMs go hand in hand, sadly. :(:

The Expos situation was totally different and I hold nobody accountable for what went on during on of MLB's biggest disgraces.

Minaya didn't know if the team was even going to exist the following season nor did he have permission from MLB to increase payroll or even expand rosters in September.

If you reread my post I stated - Pre Minaya (i.e. before he arrived) and Post Minaya (October 2004 forward).

Minaya has done a lot of good since arriving. Many criticized the Pedro deal as too much $ but he remains one of the best pitchers in the game. Delgado was the 1B bat they needed, the Nady deal was good both economically and on the field. They have a great young core and their bullpen is better this season.

The only problem I had with Minaya was tossing away good or very good starters. The White Sox and Boston, among other teams, have showed it us prudent to keep an extra starter around. I really didn't like the Benson deal at the time and they threw Seo away for nothing.

Kazmir, the worst trade of them all, was Duquette's fault.

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2006, 04:03 PM
As long as the A's are still in the hunt for the west (which they are), Zito is going nowhere.

palehozenychicty
05-08-2006, 04:14 PM
The Expos situation was totally different and I hold nobody accountable for what went on during on of MLB's biggest disgraces.

Minaya didn't know if the team was even going to exist the following season nor did he have permission from MLB to increase payroll or even expand rosters in September.

If you reread my post I stated - Pre Minaya (i.e. before he arrived) and Post Minaya (October 2004 forward).

Minaya has done a lot of good since arriving. Many criticized the Pedro deal as too much $ but he remains one of the best pitchers in the game. Delgado was the 1B bat they needed, the Nady deal was good both economically and on the field. They have a great young core and their bullpen is better this season.

The only problem I had with Minaya was tossing away good or very good starters. The White Sox and Boston, among other teams, have showed it us prudent to keep an extra starter around. I really didn't like the Benson deal at the time and they threw Seo away for nothing.

Kazmir, the worst trade of them all, was Duquette's fault.

I DO like the Delgado and Lo Duca deals a whole lot. Lo Duca plays as if he was born to be a Met all along, and Delgado is just raking unconsicously. Nady was reminiscent of a KW deal-low risk/maximum reward. I think that he does underestimate pitching a lot, which is what worries me. Only in NY can executives be arrogant enough to disregard pitching quality/depth. The Mets can get to the Series if they can find another stable arm and Tom/Pedro hold up. Their lineup is one of the best and they're grinding out wins, an invaluable trait in a good team.

spiffie
05-08-2006, 04:18 PM
As long as the A's are still in the hunt for the west (which they are), Zito is going nowhere.
If the Mets offer Milledge, Zito will be gone. The A's have enough pitching to contend without Zito, and they will never get another shot as a prospect like Milledge. This one is pretty much a no-brainer for Beane (of course, some would say everything he does has no brain involved, but that's neither here nor there).

Randar68
05-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Buster Olney was just on ESPN's Mike & Mike In The Morning and said that Billy Beane is in love with New York Mets prospect Lastings Milledge and sees a possible trade between the Mets and the Oakland Athletics in-which Barry Zito would end up in Flushing Meadows.

The Mets just finished placing Victor Zambrano on the disabled list and he is out for the year as he will need Tommy John Surgery. Because of that injury, this trade makes more sense. Zito is a free agent after this season. Milledge is on outfielder.

Zito: 2-2, 4.07 ERA, 42 IP, 30 H, 30 K, 17 BB

Milledge in AAA: .321 BA, .451 OBP, 3 HR, 10 RBI, 7 SB, 19 BB, 20 K

I'd offer them Jon Garland for Milledge and a mid-level pitching prospect...

Tragg
05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
In the hierarchy of prospects, how would you say Milledge compares to, say, Chris Young.

Randar68
05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
In the hierarchy of prospects, how would you say Milledge compares to, say, Chris Young.

I personally like Chris Young more, as I think he has better intangibles and more power/speed potential, not only that, but while they both K at a high rate, Young takes more walks and to me has shown more progress at learning quickly at each level... Young has that special "pop" in his bat which is very rare...

However, Milledge is generally ranked a little higher than Young.

I don't know that I'd do Milledge for Garland straight-up, but you add a pitching prospect in there and I'd probably have to do it...

How many teams could trade their #5 starter, replace them with a better pitcher from within, and get a top 10 prospect in return?

Mickster
05-08-2006, 04:36 PM

Milledge >>> Young

Randar68
05-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Milledge >>> Young

Milledge has had a good start to the 2006 season while Young's coming back from a broken bone, but I don't think it's nearly as clear-cut as you note. Young has legit 40/40 potential, and Milledge can't match his power. Young has also shown a better propensity to take walks than Milledge up to this point...

Tragg
05-08-2006, 04:41 PM
I personally like Chris Young more, as I think he has better intangibles and more power/speed potential, not only that, but while they both K at a high rate, Young takes more walks and to me has shown more progress at learning quickly at each level... Young has that special "pop" in his bat which is very rare...

However, Milledge is generally ranked a little higher than Young.

I don't know that I'd do Milledge for Garland straight-up, but you add a pitching prospect in there and I'd probably have to do it...

How many teams could trade their #5 starter, replace them with a better pitcher from within, and get a top 10 prospect in return?

Sort of the inverse of what we did over the winter; depends on, I guess, Millege v Young and Vasquez v Garland.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Sort of the inverse of what we did over the winter; depends on, I guess, Millege v Young and Vasquez v Garland.

Milledge > Young
Vazquez > Garland

I DO like the Delgado and Lo Duca deals a whole lot. Lo Duca plays as if he was born to be a Met all along, and Delgado is just raking unconsicously. Nady was reminiscent of a KW deal-low risk/maximum reward. I think that he does underestimate pitching a lot, which is what worries me. Only in NY can executives be arrogant enough to disregard pitching quality/depth. The Mets can get to the Series if they can find another stable arm and Tom/Pedro hold up. Their lineup is one of the best and they're grinding out wins, an invaluable trait in a good team.

Not a big fan of the Lo Duca trade. I would have rather have them sign Ramon Hernandez this offseason with Castro as their backup. Wished they would have been able to sign Delgado last year (which would have meant Petit would still be in the system) but I do agree that was a good trade for the Mets. If Matsui can hit .270 and play a decent 2B their infield is set. Floyd is the biggest question mark in the lineup - he must be hurt because he is not this bad of a hitter.

Pedro is a stud. I don't expect Glavine to pitch this well but I like his experience heading into the playoffs (if they reach the playoffs). Their bullpen outside of Julio have pitched excellent. They should move Heilman to the rotation to make up for Zambrano unless they can swing a deal.

I like Sanchez but the Mets should have gotten more for Seo and Benson (who they got nothing for unless Maine develops into something above what his past performance indicates).

I don't mind a Zito for Milledge deal since their revenue will always let them get a hitter. Pitchers are much harder to come by and even harder for the Mets to develop and bring to the ML Level. Bobby Jones (1997 15-9 3.63 ERA & 2000 11-6 5.08 ERA) is the only pitcher from the Mets system to give them 10 + wins since Dwight Gooden's 12-15 season in 1993. That is all you need to know about the Mets and pitching development since their great 1980s crop of pitchers.

santo=dorf
05-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I'd do that too, but I doubt Garland would waive his NTC.

Flight #24
05-08-2006, 07:08 PM
I could see Beane doing it, and it would obviously be a good long-term move for them, but IMO a step back for this year since I don't believe in Loaiza.

FWIW, I don't see KW making that move unless they can find a good SP backup elsewhere. Plus Garland would have to agree (which I'm not sure he would as a Cali guy who likes Chicago).

I could see Freddy going in the deal if they were to deal someone. He's got the shortest deal and is older than JG.

doublem23
05-08-2006, 07:29 PM
We can blame Minaya for a lot of things that remade the Indians, but not Martinez... The Tribe is the only organization he's been with.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/martivi01.shtml

Deebs14
05-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I played on the same AAU team with Blasto (Lastings) in high school and I hope he has a hell of a career...I just wish I would've gotten his autograph before we graduated.