PDA

View Full Version : Baseball On TV Overseas: A living Yankee Hell

PeteWard
05-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Here's what you get if you live in Asia now. See link below. Just unbelievable that ESPN International shows NYY almost exclusively this year. :mad:

The week's schedule below is typical of the whole season so far. For some reason the Dodgers and Angels are also on a lot but not nearly as much as The Bronx Juicers. They are on nearly EVERY game.

Who are they anyway, baseball's Manchester United? Does anyone out there know what deal ESPN Int. made with NY over the winter? Is it the same in Europe?
The Sox have not been on once. And there is no alternative.I'd try MLB TV but had a terrible expereince with it last year during the post season.

I emailed them three times, very politely asking them what was up and they never answered. :angry:
Looks like I'll have to wait until the Sox play the Yankees to see the greatgest team in baseball. Hopefully they sweep them in the playofs too.:bandance:

http://www.espnstar.com/tvtimes/tvtimes_searchresults.jsp?page=1

Irishsoxfan
05-08-2006, 05:55 AM
In Ireland and I assume most of Europe we have NASN. Similar situation re the yankmees and the Sox have only been aired once ( loss). Basically they get an ESPN feed and that explains everything!!

cbone
05-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Does MLB tv work out of the country? My wife is a flight attendant and is often overseas. I have gameday audio and that works. She would love to be able to watch the games though.

Irishsoxfan
05-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Does MLB tv work out of the country? My wife is a flight attendant and is often overseas. I have gameday audio and that works. She would love to be able to watch the games though.

Well it works for me (mostly) but you need good broadband access. I'm not sure how blackout restrictions would apply.

sox420fan
05-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Does it really surprise you that ESPN favors the Yankees?:o:

anewman35
05-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Does it really surprise you that ESPN favors the Yankees?:o:

Yes - I thought they'd favor the Red Sox.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Yes - I thought they'd favor the Red Sox.

I thought more of the Marlins. Or the Expos/Nats.

MM2112
05-08-2006, 11:20 AM
"Who are they anyway, baseball's Manchester United?"

Yes they are, outside Man U, the Yankees are probably the most recognizable, most popular sports team in the world...it doesnt surprise me that they are televised all the time to global markets.

But, when I was in London a few years ago, the only American baseball clothing items they had for sale were Yankees, White Sox and A's (?)...which shows that the Sox are at least known across the pond

dpbyron
05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Well it works for me (mostly) but you need good broadband access. I'm not sure how blackout restrictions would apply.

I have full access to every game on Mlbtv.com from here in London. I believe they lift the blackouts based on the location of your IP Address

ondafarm
05-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey if you think it's bad to see mostly Yankee games you ought to try two of the places that I lived.

In Japan, they did broadcast Mariners games, but the Japanese league games were almost always the Tokyo Giants, even in Nagoya a rival city andthey wouldn't carry games thru to completion. A certain amount of time was allotted and then they'd just switch to regular network stuff.

And if you think that American baseball can ever get boring, try watching a five day cricket match. Watching the grass grow is more exciting. Five days, one game. And the cucumber sandwiches . . .

credeistheman
05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
i spent the majority of last year abroad and i found that the only regular baseball that espn played were the sunday night games.

also, it was pretty funny to hear candy maldonado doing the play-by-play for espnDeportes.

bigfoot
05-09-2006, 05:54 PM
http://www.skyperfectv.co.jp/en/guide/lineup/01.html

Linky for SkyPerfect. They have a lot of White Sox games, or so my sources in Fukuoka tell me. Lots of Mariner< Ichiro/Johjima games too.

The Sox helping Nomo with his try to catch onto another team will pay big dividends down the road in future dealings in the Central and Pacific Leagues.

SoxEd
05-09-2006, 06:39 PM
And if you think that American baseball can ever get boring, try watching a five day cricket match. Watching the grass grow is more exciting. Five days, one game. And the cucumber sandwiches . . .

Oi!

I'll brook NO disparagement of Cricket...

A five-day Cricket Test Match is the sporting event that most nearly mirrors Life:

Watching it or taking part in it is hideously expensive;
the rules and Laws that govern it are wilfully arcane, vary from place to place, and are often almost impenetrably complex;
it goes on seemingly interminably;
it can be ruined or ended at any moment by factors beyond anybody's control, and;
whilst at any moment, something interesting could happen, more often than not, it usually doesn't!
:redneck

SoxEd
05-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I have full access to every game on Mlbtv.com from here in London.

Hey!

How long have you been in the Great Wen?

And has living in our capital bankrupted you yet?

ondafarm
05-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Oi!

A five-day Cricket Test Match is the sporting event that most nearly mirrors Life:

the rules and Laws that govern it are wilfully arcane, vary from place to place, and are often almost impenetrably complex;
it can be ruined or ended at any moment by factors beyond anybody's control, and;
whilst at any moment, something interesting could happen, more often than not, it usually doesn't!

Oh, I knew a Brit would defend cricket.

I mean your whole economy depends on it, all that's manufactered anymore in the UK are cricket bats, Altoids mints, Wedgeworth China, Jaguar automobiles and Harrier Jumpjets. Oh, and good London Gin. One trip to Harrod's and you can pick them all up.

I mean now that Scotland and Norway have all the North Sea petroleum rights. Are they going to combine forces, sack Yorkshire and take all the Yorkies?

Daver
05-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Oi!

I'm a huge fan of Brockian ultra cricket.

21stcenturySox
05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Oi!

:roflmao:

Howzat!

I spent Jan 94 in Australia and watched a lot of cricket. The game was difficult to understand, but the Aussie fans were keen to teach me all the finer points.

Lots of great terms like "googly" (which is hard a hard breaking "bowled" ball); batting a "duck" (going out without scoring any runs); silly mid-off (a defensive position on the field in front of the batsman, sort of like playing way in at third base while the guy is swinging away), a "french lick" (ball batted between legs).

The best part of test cricket is the mid afternoon break called "tea." Even tho we were drunk on our butts, the boys still stopped to brew a cuppa, which made for an elegant (and hilarious to this 'septic') moment.

ondafarm
05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
:roflmao:

Howzat!

I spent Jan 94 in Australia and watched a lot of cricket. The game was difficult to understand, but the Aussie fans were keen to teach me all the finer points.

Lots of great terms like "googly" (which is hard a hard breaking "bowled" ball); batting a "duck" (going out without scoring any runs); silly mid-off (a defensive position on the field in front of the batsman, sort of like playing way in at third base while the guy is swinging away), a "french lick" (ball batted between legs).

The best part of test cricket is the mid afternoon break called "tea." Even tho we were drunk on our butts, the boys still stopped to brew a cuppa, which made for an elegant (and hilarious to this 'septic') moment.

Actually, I thought silly mid-off was more like playing first base way in, silly mid-on was more like 3rd base way in. SoxEd correct me if I'm wrong. Keep in mind, all the defenders, apart from the wicket keeper (catcher), play without gloves. When I played with a few mates, they'd figure I was good for an edge, but I'd always eventually get called on an lbw, legs before wicket. A chump call if there ever was one.

SoxEd
05-10-2006, 10:33 AM
I mean now that Scotland and Norway have all the North Sea petroleum rights. Are they going to combine forces, sack Yorkshire and take all the Yorkies?

Nah, there's no chance of that ever happening:

The good people of God's Own County (e.g. my mum) will always be able to hold off any potential Invasion Force with a barrage of well-directed Pontefract Cakes and a judicious use of 'blunt speaking'.

I'm more worried about the Clotted Cream Wells in Devonshire falling in to 'enemy' hands...

SoxEd
05-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Actually, I thought silly mid-off was more like playing first base way in, silly mid-on was more like 3rd base way in.

The distinction between 'On'-side fielding positions and 'Off'-side Fielding Positions is to do with the handedness of the batsman:

The 'On'-side of the field is the same side of the pitch as the batsman's legs, while the 'Off'-side is the same side as his bat.

So, a right-handed batsman would have (Silly) Mid-Off on the 1st Base side, and (Silly) Mid-On on the 3rd Base side, whilst for a lefty, Mid-Off is the 3rd Base side and Mid-On is the 1st Base side.

[Confusingly enough, the FP called 'Mid Wicket' is also on the 'On' side, slightly to the 'on' side of the stumps at the non-striker's end.]

One should also bear in mind that the 'SIlly' positions can mean the Fielder (or, if you're an Aussie the 'Fieldsman') as close as twelve feet from the bat.
Broken bones are common in Cricket, despite the NFL-quantity of body-armour the players wear nowadays.

This 'handedness' is one of the many reasons that Cricket takes so darned long to play (even without the breaks for Drinks, Lunch & Tea) - if the side batting have a lefty in with a righty, every time they change ends all the fielders have to move their position to cope...

On the subject of getting out LBW, there ARE worse ways to get oneself out - being frequently Stumped whilst taking 'agriculutural' swipes at the bowler is very embarrassing, as is succumbing to 'Hit Wicket'.
Of course, nothing is more worthy of opprobrium than causing your fellow batsman to be 'Run out'.
Especially if he is the Captain...

For those of you new to it, Cricket has TEN ways in which a Batsman can be given out.
Oh, and the bowler is allowed to aim for the batsman's head (provided he's bounced the ball off the pitch first). At best, all a 'Hit by Pitch' will get you in Cricket is a bruise...
It has an ever-increasing number of conventional Fielding Positions, some of which are called different things in different countries.
And e.g. the Law governing LBW dismissals makes the Infield Fly Rule look simple.

How the heck do you think we managed to hold an Empire that big together for so long?
We got the natives so confused with Cricket that it took them absolutely ages to work out that they could kick us out with Revolts...