PDA

View Full Version : Rickey Henderson

beausox
01-29-2002, 05:26 PM
Lately, there have been stories going around that Rickey Henderson has been calling teams looking for a job. To this date, from waht I have heard, he has been turned down by the Mariners, Padres, and Orioles. As much as we could use Rickey, we got Brian Simmons.

If Major League Baseball wanted to do something right, that happens about once every five years, when they take over the Expos later this month, as rumored, they would sign Rickey. The Expos need a Left fielder and aren't playing for anything. Pluas a name like Rickey Henderson would put a few fans in the seats while allowing Rickey to chase a few more records he's after. Any thoughts?

kermittheefrog
01-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by beausox
Lately, there have been stories going around that Rickey Henderson has been calling teams looking for a job. To this date, from waht I have heard, he has been turned down by the Mariners, Padres, and Orioles. As much as we could use Rickey, we got Brian Simmons.

If Major League Baseball wanted to do something right, that happens about once every five years, when they take over the Expos later this month, as rumored, they would sign Rickey. The Expos need a Left fielder and aren't playing for anything. Pluas a name like Rickey Henderson would put a few fans in the seats while allowing Rickey to chase a few more records he's after. Any thoughts?

The Expos have a good young leftfield prospect named Brad Wilkerson who is major league ready and deserves the job. As much as I think Rickey deserves to be somewhere (I think we shoudl pick him up) it would be a mistake for him to block WIlkerson's path to the majors.

czalgosz
01-29-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

The Expos have a good young leftfield prospect named Brad Wilkerson who is major league ready and deserves the job. As much as I think Rickey deserves to be somewhere (I think we shoudl pick him up) it would be a mistake for him to block WIlkerson's path to the majors.

I just looked at Henderson's numbers... how do you get a .366 OBP with only a .227 BA? That's amazing.

beausox
01-29-2002, 05:47 PM
I am in agreement with you there. What I neglected to say, is that the Expos have had a quick lease on Peter Bergeron in CF and although I like his speed I doubt he lasts an entire year. A perfect situation would feature Wilkerson, Bergeron, and Henderson all getting about 400 AB's and all three sharing LF and CF duties. The Expos also need to come to grips with reality and give Fernando Seguignol a shot. Within a year he would out perform Lee Stevens and he is a lot cheaper.