PDA

View Full Version : When will the Tigers go away?

Shoeless_Jim
05-07-2006, 01:43 PM
I know that the Tigers arent really a playoff caliber team, at least not until this year. But im pretty sure they will come back to earth and start losing games, but when?:?:

i thought i would turn to WSI you guys seem to know your stuff.

Max Power
05-07-2006, 01:50 PM
I don't know. The Royals stuck in first place until the all star break in 2003. Hopefully the Tigers have some bad streaks in them, and soon. On the flip side, I figure the Indians will eventually put some winning streaks together and get in this.

oeo
05-07-2006, 01:53 PM
I don't know. The Royals stuck in first place until the all star break in 2003. Hopefully the Tigers have some bad streaks in them, and soon. On the flip side, I figure the Indians will eventually put some winning streaks together and get in this.
The Indians need to put together a starting staff before they're going to compete. It's weak and it's not going to take them far.

As for the Tigers, Mike Maroth with a 1.97 ERA? We'll see how long that lasts...

MarySwiss
05-07-2006, 01:54 PM
They should start their nosedive on the 6th of June (seems appropriate!) That's when they come in to start a three-game series against us. :cool:

fquaye149
05-07-2006, 01:56 PM
The thing about the Tigers is that if their starting pitching holds up (it very well could, given that they have some good young arms who just haven't been able to put it together up till now) they might not go away until we face them in the ALCS..

jackbrohamer
05-07-2006, 02:05 PM
When Ivan Rodriguez gets his season-ending injury, Ordonez re-injures himself, and their pitching staff goes south to the point that they have to use Jason Grilli as a starter.

CynicSox
05-07-2006, 02:13 PM
I know that the Tigers arent really a playoff caliber team, at least not until this year. But im pretty sure they will come back to earth and start losing games, but when?:?:

i thought i would turn to WSI you guys seem to know your stuff.

Will they come back to earth? Just like the Sox were supposed to at several points during the 2005 season? I'm going to take a lesson from history and not count out any team like everyone else did last year with the Sox (except Sox fans of course). If the Tigers are the new competition in the AL Central, it just gives the Sox another reason to work harder and become better, and another reason to make the staff of ESPN :whiner: about how their beloved AL East is no longer the most dominant in the league.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-07-2006, 03:10 PM
You can't win a divisional championship in April or May, but you can sure lose one. Just ask the 2005 Cleveland Indians.
:cool:

All that matters right now is the Sox keep winning. What Detroit or anyone else does is of no consequence. It's a long, long season...

santo=dorf
05-07-2006, 03:24 PM
The thing about the Tigers is that if their starting pitching holds up (it very well could, given that they have some good young arms who just haven't been able to put it together up till now) they might not go away until we face them in the ALCS..
Rogers is a terrible 2nd half pitcher, Maroth will not have a sub-2 ERA, Robertson is average and Verlander is a rookie (although a very talented one.)

fquaye149
05-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Rogers is a terrible 2nd half pitcher, Maroth will not have a sub-2 ERA, Robertson is average and Verlander is a rookie (although a very talented one.)

Yup. But Maroth and Verlander both have potential to be very good pitchers, and with the lineup they have, to be in contention, they don't need Robertson and Rogers to be aces.

flo-B-flo
05-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Won't bother me if they wanna nip at the Sox heels all year. The Sox need the competition to stay sharp. The division will keep them on their toes all the long ass year. I think they're pretty good. With a great manager.

whitesoxfan
05-07-2006, 04:56 PM
2 1/2 game lead now :smile:

SOXSINCE'70
05-07-2006, 05:14 PM
It's a long, long season...

Thank you:cool: .Let's all try and remember that.The way I look at it is,
the longer the Tiggers and 'Toons stick around,the more motivation
the Sox should have to knock them off when they play each other.
And watch out,the Twinkies may (and I stress MAY) be making a
comeback into contention.This is a dog fight.We'll see who's
left standing in September.

White City
05-07-2006, 07:28 PM
They should start their nosedive on the 6th of June (seems appropriate!) That's when they come in to start a three-game series against us. :cool:

June 6th is D-Day. So I guess you're calling for a D-cline in D-troit about then, but then that would make it Double D-Day. Oh wait ...

Bobbo35
05-07-2006, 08:15 PM
You can't win a divisional championship in April or May, but you can sure lose one. Just ask the 2005 Cleveland Indians.
:cool:

All that matters right now is the Sox keep winning. What Detroit or anyone else does is of no consequence. It's a long, long season...

As long as the Sox are looking in the rear view mirror at the Central Division it doesn't matter.

GregoryEtc
05-07-2006, 08:17 PM
I've had the opportunity to see quite a few Tiger games up here in Ann Arbor, and in my expert opinion, they sure seem like things have been clicking just right for them so far. They've had strong pitching from some good young pitchers that they've stuck with thru the bad (Martoth lost 21 games a couple years ago) that have matured into some quality veteran arms. Their bullpen has been solid so far which any good team needs.

I'm surprised to see all the doubters in here about them since all they're doing is the same thing we did last year. They're winning close games and taking advantage of opponents' mistakes.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Tigers win about 85-89 games and possibly the wild card.

hawkjt
05-07-2006, 08:33 PM
The sox clearly struggle against lefty starters; now 6-6 after todays win.

The tigers have two leftys that have been hard on the sox- rogers and robertson. Bonderman and Maroth are talented arms. Their bullpen seemed full of power arms.

I know we swept them but maggs is hot now and personally I am glad we will not see them for month to let them come back to earth a little.

I see them not going away unless the sox maintain this torrid pace which is unlikely.

It is going a long haul but I expect the sox to be there in the end.

PKalltheway
05-07-2006, 10:14 PM
I think Detroit is going to hang around all year. The best we can hope for is for Cleveland and Detroit to beat up on each other when they face each other and for us to stay above the pack.

Epark84
05-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Detroit will be there all season, and cleveland will too. Minnesota doesnt not have it this year and I think KC might already be eliminated. Dont look now but magglio is off to a hell of a start and looks like he is back.

Jjav829
05-07-2006, 11:49 PM
The day we clinch. :cool:

Norberto7
05-08-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm having trouble taking them seriously as of yet. A near score of sucktitude will do that to you.

That's the difference between last year's Sox and this year's Tigers. Losing is ingrained in these guys. Just give 'em time. :cool:

Jurr
05-08-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm with the sentiment that people said we were going to finally cool down all year in 2005. One of the sayings around here last year was "It's only apr....wait..they're still good in May...etc."

Leyland is going to keep them focused, they have bats, and their pitching has been together long enough (Bonderman, Maroth, Robertson) to finally have a good year. The Tigers are a good mix of talent. I think their bullpen doesn't have enough to put it together, but that can be resolved at the deadline. We'll just have to see.

I hope somebody keeps pace with the Sox. You need to be sharp and playing well to do something in the postseason.

jdm2662
05-08-2006, 10:08 AM
The Tigers are going to be serious contenders. A guy at my work and I said last year this team has a lot of good young pitchers. What was overshadowed by the Sox collaspse last season was the Tigers. They were 60-60 at one point, and their team ERA was in the top five in the AL. They fell apart shortly after the all-star break, but they were competitive before hand. Everything has come together now, and they have an experienced, proven manager to keep them focused. I hope they still competitive because it will keep the Sox focused. As long as they take the season series from the Tigers, they will be fine.

spiffie
05-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Honestly, I think Detroit could win either West division with the team they have at this point. It looks thus far like the young pitchers are becoming the potential that they had the last few years and are not going anywhere. 85-88 wins sounds about right for that team, probably not quite enough for the wild card, but enough to be respectable and never really be out of it until the last 2 weeks or so of the season. Their misfortune is being in the same division as the best team in baseball, one that will likely win 95-100 games. But this is not the Royals of 2003, a team that really was a mirage. This is a solid young team that will compete through the coming years. If Cleveland gets another good starter and some of the young players in Minnesota start to play more the AL Central could become a ridiculously good division in the coming years.

TheVulture
05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't see how you can look at the Tiger roster with all those .300 hitters and good young pitching staff along with Rogers and expect the Tigers to go away. Adding Ordonez, Palanco and Rogers were great moves for them. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they win 90+ games this year.

Berkules
05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
June 6th is D-Day. So I guess you're calling for a D-cline in D-troit about then, but then that would make it Double D-Day. Oh wait ...

Well put! As they keep playing intra-division they'll dive- the the Tribe and the Twinkies are both better in my opinion...definitely Cleveland, and Minn can keep taking 2run games against em all year long...as for the Sox- we may lose 5 against the Tiges this year

SpammySosa
05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
When Ivan Rodriguez gets his season-ending injury, Ordonez re-injures himself, and their pitching staff goes south to the point that they have to use Jason Grilli as a starter.

You forgot to mention when Kenny Rogers attacks a cameraman. :D:

Ol' No. 2
05-08-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't see how you can look at the Tiger roster with all those .300 hitters and good young pitching staff along with Rogers and expect the Tigers to go away. Adding Ordonez, Palanco and Rogers were great moves for them. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they win 90+ games this year.Rogers is a notorious first-half pitcher. Shelton has come back to earth with a thud (only one multi-hit game since Apr 16). Rodney is not going to go all season without being scored upon. And any bullpen that features Jason Grilli is immediately suspect.

85 wins, tops.

SouthSoxFan
05-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Starting Memorial day weekend, they can show if they are ready to compete with consecutive series hosting Cleveland, New York, Boston, and then coming to our house. If they are still hanging around by August, check out their schedule for 4 straight weeks during that month: Cle, Min, at Sox, at Bos, Tex, Sox, at Cle, at NY

Unregistered
05-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Shelton has come back to earth with a thud (only one multi-hit game since Apr 16). Wait. I thought he was going to hit 40+ HR this year?

Lip Man 1
05-09-2006, 01:22 AM
I think the Tigers will be hanging close until July or so. After Kenny bolsters the bullpen then they will no longer be an issue.

Lip