PDA

View Full Version : dumb cub fans moments at padres game

gbergman
05-07-2006, 06:27 AM
At tonights Padres Cubs game(I live in SD) i was seated in the left field bleachers surrounded by 3 rows of Cubs fans. What made this great was i was wearing my world series champion shirt and hat all of which took notice. Well about the third inning they all started yelling at me about how the Sox suck, and how we got lucky last year, but this year was the Cubbies turn and it would mean more to Chicago.

I asked how do the White Sox suck and some guy said the Cubbies are historically the better team. I asked how and another guy jumped in and said the Cubs have been to more World Series than the White Sox. I said this may be true but the White Sox have won more world championships, and winning is what matters in the playoffs.

Another one of his buddies said that well the Cubs hold the record for best winning season in baseball. The sorority girls that were with him started laughing and said you got him there. I said you are right but guess who beat that team in the World Series? One guy said the Yankees, another the Red Sox another said the Cubs won. I said guess what you are all wrong the White Sox did. A couple fellow Padres fans sitting next to me started laughing , and finally using the Hangar18 stat, "How many 90 win seasons since 1950 have the Cubs had?" One said atleast ten, I said no 3 and the white sox 13. One of the sorority girls said well atleast we have a cool nickname being the lovable losers. Soon as she said that i smiled and said there is nothing lovable about losing. Her smile went to frown and the Cubs lost again!

Chicken Dinner
05-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Oh no....it's another "I saw some Cub fans at a Cub game" post. :whiner:

Dan Mega
05-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Why were you flaunting Sox gear at a Cubs/Padres game?:?:

TDog
05-07-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't know where this crap comes from. I used to drive to San Diego for my baseball and actually went to the first World Series game played in San Diego. That, of course, came after the Padres were responsible for one of the worst weekends in the history of the Chicago Cubs. San Diego should be the last place that Cubs fans talk trash.

The Padres history begins with the 1969 season when they lost 110 games while the Cubs were running away with the NL East, only to collapse and finish 8 games behind a team with a history that began in 1962 and had never finished higher than ninth place, with a legacy of losing that remains legacy. That loser -- the Mets -- have won as many World Series as the Cubs in their storied history.

The Cubs are now more than 61 years from even going to the World Series. In 1969, they were frustrated because they were 61 years from winning the World Series.

There were still young Spanish-American War veterans going to games the last time the Cubs won the World Series.

The Cubs tradition isn't about winning.

Trav
05-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Why were you flaunting Sox gear at a Cubs/Padres game?:?:

What do you wear to a baseball game?

MarySwiss
05-07-2006, 03:30 PM
I gotta go with gbergman on this one. In years past, when I went to D'backs game, I wore D'backs gear. However, this year is DIFFERENT for all of us and if I go to a Cubs/D'backs game, you can be damn sure I'll be in full Sox regalia.

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2006, 03:55 PM
At tonights Padres Cubs game(I live in SD) i was seated in the left field bleachers surrounded by 3 rows of Cubs fans. What made this great was i was wearing my world series champion shirt and hat all of which took notice. Well about the third inning they all started yelling at me about how the Sox suck, and how we got lucky last year, but this year was the Cubbies turn and it would mean more to Chicago.

I asked how do the White Sox suck and some guy said the Cubbies are historically the better team. I asked how and another guy jumped in and said the Cubs have been to more World Series than the White Sox. I said this may be true but the White Sox have won more world championships, and winning is what matters in the playoffs.

Another one of his buddies said that well the Cubs hold the record for best winning season in baseball. The sorority girls that were with him started laughing and said you got him there. I said you are right but guess who beat that team in the World Series? One guy said the Yankees, another the Red Sox another said the Cubs won. I said guess what you are all wrong the White Sox did. A couple fellow Padres fans sitting next to me started laughing , and finally using the Hangar18 stat, "How many 90 win seasons since 1950 have the Cubs had?" One said atleast ten, I said no 3 and the white sox 13. One of the sorority girls said well atleast we have a cool nickname being the lovable losers. Soon as she said that i smiled and said there is nothing lovable about losing. Her smile went to frown and the Cubs lost again!

Couldn't have handled it better myself....that was priceless. :smile:

DumpJerry
05-07-2006, 06:19 PM
gbergman is the west coast office of Hangar18 Industries.

gbergman
05-07-2006, 06:35 PM
i wasnt going to say anything until they started. I was in downtown san diego all day and i was already wearing that gear when i decided to go to the game as i hadnt been to a game since last years white sox padres series at the PP. it just helps that you remember stats that people have posted or said to you over the years.

Although i got in for free cause some cub fan oredered to many tickets and got a couple free ones with some deal, atleast thats what she said happened. i was surprised she gave one to me but im happy she did as i didnt have to pay a dime to see a game

MarySwiss
05-07-2006, 06:48 PM
i wasnt going to say anything until they started. I was in downtown san diego all day and i was already wearing that gear when i decided to go to the game as i hadnt been to a game since last years white sox padres series at the PP. it just helps that you remember stats that people have posted or said to you over the years.

Although i got in for free cause some cub fan oredered to many tickets and got a couple free ones with some deal, atleast thats what she said happened. i was surprised she gave one to me but im happy she did as i didnt have to pay a dime to see a game
IMO, you have nothing to explain. You live there, so where the hell else are you going to go to see a ball game? (Although you might want to consider Anaheim for the Sox/Angels series in Sept. If so, see ya there!)

Meanwhile, those fans starting **** is just another example of why Cubs fans are disliked in so many opponents' parks. They do bring with them that "I'm a Cubs fan, so I'm better than you" attitude. (Why, I cannot imagine, although the Trixie who thought that "lovable losers" was a "cool nickname" might give a clue.)
And, again IMO, not having to pay to see them play sounds about right! :cool:

CynicSox
05-07-2006, 08:14 PM
IMO, you have nothing to explain. You live there, so where the hell else are you going to go to see a ball game? (Although you might want to consider Anaheim for the Sox/Angels series in Sept. If so, see ya there!)

Meanwhile, those fans starting **** is just another example of why Cubs fans are disliked in so many opponents' parks. They do bring with them that "I'm a Cubs fan, so I'm better than you" attitude. (Why, I cannot imagine, although the Trixie who thought that "lovable losers" was a "cool nickname" might give a clue.)
And, again IMO, not having to pay to see them play sounds about right! :cool:

Sorority girl + Cub fan = .....Rather not comment :redface:

Girl Cubs fans are the worst in my opinion. They know nothing about the history, can barely name half the team, and are usually the one's who get the most upset/talk the most trash the minute you open your mouth wearing Sox gear. I'm surprised the Cubs haven't taken out full page ads in Cosmo.

Dick Allen
05-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Just when you think human beings can't get any dumber....

Blob
05-07-2006, 09:01 PM
I gotta go with gbergman on this one. In years past, when I went to D'backs game, I wore D'backs gear. However, this year is DIFFERENT for all of us and if I go to a Cubs/D'backs game, you can be damn sure I'll be in full Sox regalia.

Yeah, for some people its hard NOT to wear Sox gear because they have so much of it!

Yes, I am speaking from experience.

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Sorority girl + Cub fan = .....Rather not comment :redface:

Girl Cubs fans are the worst in my opinion. They know nothing about the history, can barely name half the team, and are usually the one's who get the most upset/talk the most trash the minute you open your mouth wearing Sox gear. I'm surprised the Cubs haven't taken out full page ads in Cosmo.

Sounds like my girlfriend :smile:

RKMeibalane
05-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Guys!

Quick!

Come and see!

There are Cubs fans on the North Side of Chicago!

Look!

ws05champs
05-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the post. You gave me a lot of good ammunition to use against arrogant Cubs fans.

As far as those who are tired of seeing posts like these, here is a suggestion: Don't read the post.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-08-2006, 02:09 AM
Sounds like my girlfriend :smile:

Mine too.:redface:

Hangar18
05-08-2006, 10:15 AM

Nice one Gbergman. What you did was important, because you were able to dash some of the more common myths perpetuated by the Chicago Media.
One of them being that the Cubs are historically better, the Fans are intelligent among them. Padre fans overheard your exchange, and now the truth has been planted. They will now tell their friends just how fraudulent this whole thing has really been ...........

PadreFan 1: I was at the Padre game yesterday, there was this SOX fan there
PadreFan2: Really?
PadreFan1: Yeah, this whole group of cub fans starts on him, it was hilarious
PadreFan2: I'll bet
PadreFan1: But check this out .....the cub fans were like hey Sox suck, Cubs have been to more world series, Cubs are historically the better team, Cubs have better fans..........
PadreFan2: I'll bet that burned the SOX fan
PadreFan1: Yeah, but guess what? The SOX fan busted out all of these stats. Get this. Did you know the SOX have actually been the better team since at least the 1950's! Did you know the Cubs havnt had ANY 90 win seasons since 1990! Thats more pathetic than us! And the Cub fans were like, hey weve been to more world series, but the SOX fan was like Yeah you LOST more of them, and we still WON more WS than you guys. I didnt know that! All the cub fans who were saying they had more WS than the SOX were totally wrong! I was floored, I didnt know that.
PadreFan2: Really? Wait, the SOX have been the better team since at least the 50's? and theyve won more world series than the cubs? Those fans sure act pretty arrogant. I wouldve thought they were the ones with all the world championships. Why does everyone keep saying the Cubs are so great then?
PadreFan1: I dont know man. It sure opened my eyes though. 1 SOX fan totally burned like 6 cub fans. they didnt even know any of that stuff!
They acted like THEY were in first place, but theyre not. The WHITE SOX are in 1st and theyre in like 4th place!
PadreFan2: Wait a second, your right. The SOX have been smoking hot lately, theyve got the best record in baseball, just won the WS last year.... Cub fans are supposed to be the most intelligent in baseball I keep hearing ............
PadreFan1: Wait, theres more. These chicks that are with them, are like "at least we are the lovable losers"
PadreFan2: CMON! No way they said that. NO fan would be stupid enough to say that
PadreFan1: IM SERIOUS! They actually said that
PadreFan2: So they think its cool to lose?
PadreFan1: As long as they have that stadium of theirs ...........
PadreFan2: Thats pretty bogus .................

jenn2080
05-08-2006, 10:24 AM
"the Fans are intelligent among them. Padre fans overheard your exchange, and now the truth has been planted. They will now tell their friends just how fraudulent this whole thing has really been ..........."

slow down david koresh. way to sound all sox cultish. pretty soon everyone will be under the sox power.

Nice one Gbergman. What you did was important, because you were able to dash some of the more common myths perpetuated by the Chicago Media.
One of them being that the Cubs are historically better, the Fans are intelligent among them. Padre fans overheard your exchange, and now the truth has been planted. They will now tell their friends just how fraudulent this whole thing has really been ...........

PadreFan 1: I was at the Padre game yesterday, there was this SOX fan there
PadreFan2: Really?
PadreFan1: Yeah, this whole group of cub fans starts on him, it was hilarious
PadreFan2: I'll bet
PadreFan1: But check this out .....the cub fans were like hey Sox suck, Cubs have been to more world series, Cubs are historically the better team, Cubs have better fans..........
PadreFan2: I'll bet that burned the SOX fan
PadreFan1: Yeah, but guess what? The SOX fan busted out all of these stats. Get this. Did you know the SOX have actually been the better team since at least the 1950's! Did you know the Cubs havnt had ANY 90 win seasons since 1990! Thats more pathetic than us! And the Cub fans were like, hey weve been to more world series, but the SOX fan was like Yeah you LOST more of them, and we still WON more WS than you guys. I didnt know that! All the cub fans who were saying they had more WS than the SOX were totally wrong! I was floored, I didnt know that.
PadreFan2: Really? Wait, the SOX have been the better team since at least the 50's? and theyve won more world series than the cubs? Those fans sure act pretty arrogant. I wouldve thought they were the ones with all the world championships. Why does everyone keep saying the Cubs are so great then?
PadreFan1: I dont know man. It sure opened my eyes though. 1 SOX fan totally burned like 6 cub fans. they didnt even know any of that stuff!
They acted like THEY were in first place, but theyre not. The WHITE SOX are in 1st and theyre in like 4th place!
PadreFan2: Wait a second, your right. The SOX have been smoking hot lately, theyve got the best record in baseball, just won the WS last year.... Cub fans are supposed to be the most intelligent in baseball I keep hearing ............
PadreFan1: Wait, theres more. These chicks that are with them, are like "at least we are the lovable losers"
PadreFan2: CMON! No way they said that. NO fan would be stupid enough to say that
PadreFan1: IM SERIOUS! They actually said that
PadreFan2: So they think its cool to lose?
PadreFan1: As long as they have that stadium of theirs ...........
PadreFan2: Thats pretty bogus .................

MinnySoxFan
05-08-2006, 01:47 PM
if they love going by their 'Lovable Losers' name then what are we? Wicked Winners?

maurice
05-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Spent a lot of time talking with locals when we invaded SD last summer. An usher commented that he was concerned that another Chicago team was coming to town, because they have problems with Cubs fans, but he said he was very pleasantly surprised by the good behavior and knowledge of Sox fans.
:gulp:

longshot7
05-08-2006, 02:20 PM

and I'm the President.

Realist
05-08-2006, 03:29 PM
if they love going by their 'Lovable Losers' name then what are we? Wicked Winners?

'Lovable Winners'

Soxfanspcu11
05-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Mine too.:redface:

You guys have a lot more patience and poise than me. I won't even think of talking to a girl, no matter how attractive, if she is a Flubs fan.

It is the ultimate turn-off. I dunno, I just REALLY HATE that "franchise".

gbergman
05-08-2006, 04:07 PM
"

pretty soon everyone will be under the sox power. :tealpolice:

Realist
05-08-2006, 09:21 PM
You guys have a lot more patience and poise than me. I won't even think of talking to a girl, no matter how attractive, if she is a Flubs fan.

It is the ultimate turn-off. I dunno, I just REALLY HATE that "franchise".

You're really doing yourself a disservice depriving yourself of the opportunity for some "angry loving". It's not to be underestimated. :wink:

FielderJones
05-08-2006, 09:43 PM
http://www.columbiachronicle.com/paper/arts.php?id=2587

http://www.columbiachronicle.com/paper/images/2587_2.jpeg
"I am a vengeful Cubs fan. I donít even care if my Cubbies win anymore; Iím happy as long as the Sox lose."

lumpyspun
05-09-2006, 12:11 AM

It's a tough situation...when I was in Seattle for the White Sox series, I was hot as fish grease when I saw about 15 different people walking around in full Cub gear.

PKalltheway
05-09-2006, 12:52 AM

Great job man! Way to shut up those stupid Cub fans! Just one thing though. Not to be picky, but the Cubs have had four 90-win seasons since 1950. 92 wins in 1969, 96 wins in 1984, 93 wins in 1989, and 90 in 1998. That's still staggering though how many 90 win seasons the Sox have had compared to the Cubs though. 13 to 4. What's sadder is that Sox fans know more history about the Cubs than Cub fans themselves do! I may sound stupid in saying this but I seriously did not know that the Cubs have been THAT bad in the last 56 years! You hit it right on the button, there's NOTHING loveable about losing!

gbergman
05-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Great job man! Way to shut up those stupid Cub fans! Just one thing though. Not to be picky, but the Cubs have had four 90-win seasons since 1950. 92 wins in 1969, 96 wins in 1984, 93 wins in 1989, and 90 in 1998. That's still staggering though how many 90 win seasons the Sox have had compared to the Cubs though. 13 to 4. What's sadder is that Sox fans know more history about the Cubs than Cub fans themselves do! I may sound stupid in saying this but I seriously did not know that the Cubs have been THAT bad in the last 56 years! You hit it right on the button, there's NOTHING loveable about losing!

dont tell hangar the cubs won 90 in 98. that year they played 163 because of a playoff against the giants. they won giving them 90. personelly i consider that a playoff game because if they won they moved on a loss and they were out of the playoffs

TDog
05-09-2006, 05:12 AM

I've never bought any other team's gear, although I used to be a Padres fan, before they moved their spring training site to the Phoenix area. My cap-day Padres cap I gave to a friend. I have a Brewers cap I wore to non-Sox games in Milwaukee, but that was a giveaway during the 2000 season. I've been to a bunch of DBacks games and always wore a Sox cap.

I've been known to wear a Sox cap at work.