PDA

View Full Version : Hawk and Wimpy Feud Explained?

johndoe
05-06-2006, 07:35 PM
As someone who was very close to the situation when it happened, I can confirm that Hawk did, indeed have Paciorek fired. While it is true that TP
"resigned", he was forced to do so by Rob Gallas. Reinsdorf insultingly offered to keep Tom on if he were to make radical changes in his approach, upon which Tom kindly told him to go scratch, in a friendly way.

The ironic part is that, to this day, Hawk is still so insecure that he tries to sabotage Paciorek's career. Jerry himself as recently as the last two years warned other clubs about Paciorek's supposedly inadequate means of preparation.

Interestingly, Tom spent way more time around the team than Ken ever did. The Hawk was notorious for being in the booth hours before the game, while Tom worked out in the clubhouse and actually spoke with/interacted with players on the team. Other than Jim Parque, it's hard to even recall a player on the team during those years that even liked the Hawk. Most of the guys felt he was just an old gasbag. I guess filling out a scorecard and sitting and staring at it for three hours before the game is Hawk's idea of show prep. Paciorek also knows more about the game itself than Hawk.
Nor does he refer to himself in the third person when telling stories like Mr. Harrelson.

I never saw the previously referenced Tribune article that supposedly said Paciorek made disparaging remarks about Michael Jordan, but there was in fact an incident in the booth late in Tom's final season with the team. During the inning, Hawk was rambling on about what a great golfer Jordan was..and during a commercial break Tom called Hawk on being an ass-kisser, as well as full of ****. MJ, apparently, is not a great golfer. The short argument was really a result of season-long animosity, and not really the result of anyone's views on MJ's golf game..that was just the trigger.

Hawk felt he was working too hard, and Tommy wasn't talking enough during the games. He wanted someone else. Ironically, the Sox hired a guy who had even less to contribute in Darrin Jackson, who spent most of his first season just trying not to step on the Hawk's toes.

Naturally, Paciorek will be above rehashing the whole situation, and laugh it off as a "bad marriage" that went on too long. But he had a hard time landing a steady gig for a couple of years, as a direct result of Hawk and Jerry Reinsdorf badmouthing him.

Mod. Note: You're new and you seem to have actual knowledge of the situation, so I'm going to be a nice guy and just warn you that reviving old threads like this will get you banned. Please read the thread, "Things Every WSI Poster Should Know" at the top of this message board.

johndoe
05-06-2006, 07:37 PM
[quote=32nd&Wallace]I heard that he had girlfriend in almost every road city.

Show me a ballplayer (or former ballplayer) that DOESN'T.

32nd&Wallace
05-06-2006, 08:31 PM
A few questions I have about the above post:

1). Was the no preparation thing the real issue since the Sox went with someone who doesnt prepare that much anyways?

2). Were Hawk and Paciorek ever friends, i.e., was their chemistry on the air fake. If it was real, when did the relationship go south?

PaulDrake
05-06-2006, 09:42 PM
I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about this, but just from reading the thread, a single thing struck me.

If Wimpy in fact did absolutely no preparation for the games, knew nothing about what was going on elsewhere in baseball, how can you blame Hawk for not liking it and not supporting him? These guys get paid big money; the color man better be informed.

Just because Wimpy has nothing good to say about Hawk doesn't necessarily mean Hawk was in the wrong. I don't want to get into an argument with you, especially since I rank you among the best here. Did you listen to Wimpy? Did he seem unprepared to you? I thoroughly enjoyed TP and miss him to this day. DJ has improved, but he's still way behind the Wimperoo in my book.

Edit. I just noticed that this is an old thread.

Steelrod
05-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Sounds like the same old Wimpy on the Nats. broadcast. He makes watching a bad game fun. I miss him1

Nellie_Fox
05-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Somebody comes on as John Doe, puts absolutely nothing in his profile, and he should be accepted as an "insider" and an authority on what went on?

Why don't we just let this drop instead of posting rumors, hearsay and innuendo (or insinuendo and the late Mayor Daly would say.) We can never know what really went on.