PDA

View Full Version : Anderson haters don't look now...

chaerulez
05-06-2006, 08:50 PM
But now Uribe is only hitting .001 points higher than Anderson. I think this proves we still should give him a couple more months to try and figure things out.

veeter
05-06-2006, 08:53 PM
He's had a nice game tonite at the plate. But Anderson is so good in the field, I think he deserves a long chance to get himself right. I say that feeling that he can get right.

Ron Karkovice
05-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Or does this mean we need to dump Uribe and contact Benji Gil??

^^
is this the teal color?

ondafarm
05-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Rookie call at first. He beat that infield hit out. Of course, with the Sox up by 6 in the last of the eight, the umps probably really just want to get out of there.

chisoxfan64
05-06-2006, 09:44 PM
Anderson sucks, he couldn`t even hit his home run up to the concourse. Get rid of him Kenny.:rolleyes:

elrod
05-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Anderson isn't a problem when Dye's in the lineup. Without Dye, the whole lineup struggles a bit (though not tonight).

QCIASOXFAN
05-06-2006, 10:12 PM
He will come around, I totally agree with you about riding this Anderson thing out.

IlliniSox4Life
05-06-2006, 10:13 PM
But now Uribe is only hitting .001 points higher than Anderson. I think this proves we still should give him a couple more months to try and figure things out.

Honestly, I don't think you're going to convince them with that. They'll just say Uribe is in a slump and Anderson is on a hot streak, or worse, trade em both.

zmz723
05-07-2006, 12:10 AM
Or does this mean we need to dump Uribe and contact Benji Gil??

^^
is this the teal color?

congrats, you got it right

thomas35forever
05-07-2006, 12:52 AM
After tonight's performance by our centerfielder, does anyone think Anderson will put up decent numbers at the plate?

ChiSoxRowand
05-07-2006, 01:30 AM
It's only one game, he's not out of his slump yet. Hopefully he can spring together a few of these.

Mr. White Sox
05-07-2006, 01:31 AM
.250, 15-20 HR this year. Oh, and about 10-15 SB. That's more than fine for a rookie.

Joeycrizzle
05-07-2006, 02:13 AM
We shouldn't be jumping for joy over one game. Let's see how he does in the long run.

MERPER
05-07-2006, 04:01 AM
This team is the best team in baseball, with a very good offense and we are currently getting NOTHING, ZILCH, ZIP, NADA from our 8 and 9 hitters... I'll be spending this evening dreaming of what could be when they get going....

:o:

TornLabrum
05-07-2006, 08:20 AM
This team is the best team in baseball, with a very good offense and we are currently getting NOTHING, ZILCH, ZIP, NADA from our 8 and 9 hitters... I'll be spending this evening dreaming of what could be when they get going....

:o:

Yeah, that was a whole lot of nuthin' that Anderson gave us in raising his BA by .019 last night. Of course he's already one of the better defensive centerfielders in the AL, but what does that matter? And of course we get nothing on D from Uribe either. We're 21-9 with them struggling. Gee, just imagine where we'd be if actually had someone in there who could hit the ball.

RowanDye
05-07-2006, 11:41 AM
It's only one game, he's not out of his slump yet. Hopefully he can spring together a few of these.

Yes it is only one game against the Royals. I really thought Brian should have started the first game against Elarton, but what do I know. Elias says..

"Brian Anderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5152) of the White Sox took a .141 batting average, forged on nine hits in 71 at-bats, into Saturday night's game against the Royals. No problem: Anderson, batting ninth, of course, went 2-for-4 with a home run in Chicago's 9-2 victory.The Royals don't lack for problems. One of them is being manhandled by their opponents' poorest hitters. Players batting ninth in opposing lineups are hitting .308 with five home runs against the Royals this season; each of those figures is the highest in the majors."

I think Anderson will be OK, but Uribe needs to start trying something new. Another few weeks of this and its going to start to be embarassing for him.

jabrch
05-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Uribe sucking it up doesn't justify keeping BA in the lineup. BA's POTENTIAL is what justifies it. Imagine if we bailed on Crede in his rookie year when he struggled after 30 games?

Stick with Anderson. If he is going to become what we hope, it won't happen overnight. If not, we have some options coming up in the next few years.

Frater Perdurabo
05-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Uribe sucking it up doesn't justify keeping BA in the lineup. BA's POTENTIAL is what justifies it. Imagine if we bailed on Crede in his rookie year when he struggled after 30 games?

Stick with Anderson. If he is going to become what we hope, it won't happen overnight. If not, we have some options coming up in the next few years.

Jabrch, I was inspired to reply not so much by your post (with which I completely agree), but rather by your signature. Kenny and Ozzie brought us fans a World Series victory. If, in their judgement, the Sox are best with Brian Anderson in center field and batting ninth, who are we to tell them they are wrong?

I ask of those who want to bench or demote Anderson to the minors: When was the last time you built a World Series winner?

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't think anyone here is an "Anderson Hater" but that his poor at bats were trying our patience. His lackadaisical swings just didn't look very promising. No one has questioned his defensive abilities but he just needs to get some good swings instead of just swinging at total garbage.

Randar68
05-08-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't think anyone here is an "Anderson Hater" but that his poor at bats were trying our patients.

In your case I assume you're talking about mental ward "patients"???

ode to veeck
05-08-2006, 02:48 PM
In your case I assume you're talking about mental ward "patients"???

That would be the Brian Anderson whiners ward (which is right next to the Uribe whiners ward. Juan is still a defensive stud at SS and about the only one in the lineup who can hit breaking balls with any consistency. he will come around; it's the 1st week of May for crissakes!!

ondafarm
05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I don't think anyone here is an "Anderson Hater" but that his poor at bats were trying our patience. His lackadaisical swings just didn't look very promising. No one has questioned his defensive abilities but he just needs to get some good swings instead of just swinging at total garbage.

If there's one thing I can assure you that his swings were not, it's lackadaisical [sic].

He's a professional ball player and trying his best. Everyone has to adjust to each new level of pitching and when you aren't quite adjusted, you can look very bad. As a catcher, I can assure you, any guy who's down, you'd step on his throat, especially if he was one of the few in the lineup who was down. That meant if a guy showed he couldn't hit my pitcher's curve ball, I'd call a steady diet of curves with just enough fastballs to keep him from adjusting to the speed. I'm sure Anerson's been treated the same way.

jabrch
05-10-2006, 01:27 AM
Jabrch, I was inspired to reply not so much by your post (with which I completely agree), but rather by your signature. Kenny and Ozzie brought us fans a World Series victory. If, in their judgement, the Sox are best with Brian Anderson in center field and batting ninth, who are we to tell them they are wrong?

I ask of those who want to bench or demote Anderson to the minors: When was the last time you built a World Series winner?

I have no problem with questioning their moves. Part of being a fan is being able to question things and to second guess them. Sometimes you are right - and sometimes you are wrong. Same for KW and OG. In this case, I think they are doing the smart thing. I think they are letting BA develop here, in the majors, where he will have the best opportunity to learn. Right now, he's helping the team with strong defense. So his hitting has sucked so far - big freaking deal. If he (or Uribe/Cintron) are our worst offensive players, we are JUST FINE. I want BA to have the same type of opportunity that Joe Crede had. Look how that has turned out for us.

Raise you hand if you still want to go back in time and trade Crede and a pitching prosepct to KC for Joe Randa a few years ago? I figured as such.

BA may or may not ever be what we hoped. But right now he is learning, while helping the club. OG and KW are doing the right thing IMHO.

russ99
05-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Anderson, batting ninth, of course, went 2-for-4 with a home run in Chicago's 9-2 victory.

http://www.thrustjet.com/alt/anderson.jpg

That was nice to see. :D:

Norberto7
05-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Personally, I'd be more concerned about the future effect on the offense of not having 6 regulars hitting above .320 when no one hit above .300 last year than the 8 and 9 hitters hitting .170.

I mean, what is more likely: Konerko, Thome, Dye, Crede, Pierzynski, and Iguchi all keep hitting above .320, or Anderson and Uribe hit about .250?

But, that's just if you're looking for something to worry about. As it usually works, as soon as two of those guys start to struggle, Anderson and Uribe will get hot.

Frater Perdurabo
05-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I have no problem with questioning their moves. Part of being a fan is being able to question things and to second guess them. Sometimes you are right - and sometimes you are wrong. Same for KW and OG. In this case, I think they are doing the smart thing. I think they are letting BA develop here, in the majors, where he will have the best opportunity to learn. Right now, he's helping the team with strong defense. So his hitting has sucked so far - big freaking deal. If he (or Uribe/Cintron) are our worst offensive players, we are JUST FINE. I want BA to have the same type of opportunity that Joe Crede had. Look how that has turned out for us.

Raise you hand if you still want to go back in time and trade Crede and a pitching prosepct to KC for Joe Randa a few years ago? I figured as such.

BA may or may not ever be what we hoped. But right now he is learning, while helping the club. OG and KW are doing the right thing IMHO.

I completely agree. There's nothing wrong with "questioning" the moves, but when the moves have no significant negative results, and in fact show demonstrable positive results, the continued questions and even demands to demote/bench Anderson reach the point of being ridiculous and even troll-ish.

I believe so much of the Anderson hate stems from some folks' infatuation with Aaron Rowand. A very small but vocal minority of people remain crestfallen that Rowand got traded, but can't very well complain about the trade itself because Jim Thome has been an absolute monster - the best power hitter in the American League so far. So they attack Rowand's replacement instead. They will continue to fret and whine, sometimes publicly, until Anderson hits .350 with 40 homers and wins multiple gold gloves.

Rowand busted his butt to make the most of his skills and contributed to the White Sox World Championship. For that he'll always have a special place in my heart. The Sox are doing just as well so far this year, and apart from a few bullpen implosions (that have nothing to do with the #9 hitter), this year's team has performed better than last year's. Like it or not, Anderson is this team's starting CF for now and the future, so we all might as well cheer for him to continue to play sterling defense, which is most important for the CF position.

A.T. Money
05-10-2006, 10:38 AM
This team is hitting .290 as a group. We're mashing the ball and have the best record in the game. This is the time to break in a young kid and let him learn on the job.

We're going to be fine.

Frater Perdurabo
05-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Personally, I'd be more concerned about the future effect on the offense of not having 6 regulars hitting above .320 when no one hit above .300 last year than the 8 and 9 hitters hitting .170.

I mean, what is more likely: Konerko, Thome, Dye, Crede, Pierzynski, and Iguchi all keep hitting above .320, or Anderson and Uribe hit about .250?

But, that's just if you're looking for something to worry about. As it usually works, as soon as two of those guys start to struggle, Anderson and Uribe will get hot.

Yes, it's very likely that the rest of the Sox regulars will "regress to the mean," more in line with their career numbers. But remember:

1. Pods is heating up; he's taking more walks and he's making better contact, which bodes well for Iguchi, Thome and Konerko;

2. It's likely that Crede has turned the corner in his career;

3. It's entirely possible that Pods, Iguchi, Thome, Paulie, Dye, AJ and Crede are so good together, and complement one another so well (L-R-L-R-R-L-R), that they all may have "career years" this year. Barring injury, Thome might have 55 Thomers all by himself (don't look now, but he's on pace for 73 and 189 RBI). Crede and Dye are on pace for 37 HRs each, and Konerko's good for 40.

:supernana:

ondafarm
05-10-2006, 10:53 AM
With serious thunder at the top of the line up, especially probably the best 3-4-5 group in the game, a pair of outstanding defenders who are in a funk and adjusting to major league pitching can be carried. Hey, the Sox are the best team in the league, by a wide margin.

Beautox
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Yes, it's very likely that the rest of the Sox regulars will "regress to the mean," more in line with their career numbers. But remember:

1. Pods is heating up; he's taking more walks and he's making better contact, which bodes well for Iguchi, Thome and Konerko;

2. It's likely that Crede has turned the corner in his career;

3. It's entirely possible that Pods, Iguchi, Thome, Paulie, Dye, AJ and Crede are so good together, and complement one another so well (L-R-L-R-R-L-R), that they all may have "career years" this year. Barring injury, Thome might have 55 Thomers all by himself (don't look now, but he's on pace for 73 and 189 RBI). Crede and Dye are on pace for 37 HRs each, and Konerko's good for 40.

:supernana:

I'm seriously beginning to wonder, can they keep this up, all the while having podsednik coming close to getting his .avg to 300? as you stated are they that good that each one of them affords the other a level of protection that is unprecedented? murders row 2k6? man i love this team.:D:

ode to veeck
05-10-2006, 11:35 AM
don't look now, but Uribe had a pretty good night at the plate last night, going 3/4. He's still the best bat they have against breaking balls.

HomeFish
05-10-2006, 11:55 AM
And Uribe actually has a track record of doing reasonably well in the Majors. He'll be fine.

34 Inch Stick
05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
You can book Juan for at least one month of hitting .350 and bringing his average into the mid .200's. It happens every year.

I don't even look at Anderson's stats. His offensive season does not begin for me until after the All Star break.

Frater Perdurabo
05-10-2006, 04:20 PM
And Uribe actually has a track record of doing reasonably well in the Majors. He'll be fine.

:thud:

:thumbsup:

maurice
05-10-2006, 09:48 PM
3 more RBI with 1 swing of the bat.
:gulp: