05-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Ouch

white sox bill
05-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Ouch

That hurt!

oeo
05-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Bad night for Bobby to not have it. Oh well, we're going to have games like this, go get 'em tomorrow.

lumpyspun
Awful, just awful.

1951Campbell
It's okay to lose a dumb game where you piss it away, but Jesus, do it versus a good team. The Sox are the best team in MLB yet the team that has their number is KC?

Yuck.

Okay, moving on.

ndu3t4
05-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Ozzie wanted to see how many straight games bobby can get it done in. I still think he get's the save if he starts that inning. I think we would have won the game if that bitch umpire knew what a curveball strike looked like.

It sucks, but we're still in first, and we have two more games. Hopefully this gets the boys mad.

P.S., we need j.d. back.

ShoelessJoeS
Thome's the man, as well are Gooch and Crede for their homeruns. Pods with two doubles tonight was good. Absolute hideous 9th inning to give KC only their second road victory. Poor Garland, he pitched his heart out. Can anyone remember if Mack has ever come through in the clutch?

JB98
I thought the Sox were sleepwalking throughout much of the night. After the Royals hit them with four runs in the ninth, they seemed to wake up. But like the thread title says, too little, too late. Let's play nine innings tomorrow, boys. The Royals may suck, but they are still a major-league team. They can't be expected to roll over and die for us.

PAPChiSox729
It's okay to lose a dumb game where you piss it away, but Jesus, do it versus a good team. The Sox are the best team in MLB yet the team that has their number is KC?

Yuck.

Okay, moving on.

Don't the Sox account for 3 of their 7 wins??

:whiner:

eurotrash35
05-05-2006, 11:35 PM
****** 9th

flo-B-flo
The walks in the 9th cost them. But, I like how they fought back and came within a swing of a win. Get em tomorrow. The downer: bullpen problems.

JB98
Thome's the man, as well are Gooch and Crede for their homeruns. Pods with two doubles tonight was good. Absolute hideous 9th inning to give KC only their second road victory. Poor Garland, he pitched his heart out. Can anyone remember if Mack has ever come through in the clutch?

He did as a member of the Pirates against the Cubs. Other than that, no.

FloridaSox
05-05-2006, 11:36 PM
You just cannot run out Bobby every day...he has pitched 5 days in the last week. McCarthy has a fresh arm..why not one inning from him.

Suburbanbuddha
Here's hoping Dye is back tomorrow. We could have used one more big bat in the 9th.

PAPChiSox729

I don't think so far this year. But last year he had a heckuva doubleheader against the Cubs. I think he is just struggling now. We'll see...

oeo
Ozzie wanted to see how many straight games bobby can get it done in. I still think he get's the save if he starts that inning. I think we would have won the game if that bitch umpire knew what a curveball strike looked like.

It sucks, but we're still in first, and we have two more games. Hopefully this gets the boys mad.

P.S., we need j.d. back.

Bobby didn't have his breaking ball, just like in the World Series. If he doesn't have it, he's just fat, to quote Ozzie.

Just relax guys, I know it was against the Royals, but we'll live another day.

CubsfansareDRUNK
I'm questioning Jenks' Curveball. Now becuase his fastball has obviously lost velocity, his curveball acting as a changeup isnt as effective.

IlliniSox4Life
05-05-2006, 11:37 PM
This was just painful to watch. We had it and then gave it away, and then had it, and then gave it away, and then almost had it again, but not quite.

As long as we take the series, I guess I can live with it. Let's get em tomorrow guys!

PeteWard
05-05-2006, 11:37 PM

P.S., we need j.d. back.

Sox would have won if the bullpen threw strikes. Period. You can't hang this one on the ump.

Definitely with you on the last line though. The bottom of the order looks pretty sorry.

DickAllen72
05-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Let this be a lesson to all those who were taking it for granted that the Sox were going to sweep the Royals. I always cringe when people think another team is just going to roll over and play dead for the Sox.

Every game must be played on the field, not on paper.

Now let's play hard and try to win the next two.

PAPChiSox729
Bobby didn't have his breaking ball, just like in the World Series. If he doesn't have it, he's just fat, to quote Ozzie.

Just relax guys, I know it was against the Royals, but we'll live another day.

I am just astonished at the fact that we still have trouble with KC even though Sweeney is out! Bah! Rough game, but tomorrow I will wake up ready for a winner!

Tragg
Hate to waste these games against the Royals. By the end of this weekend, we will have used up 1/2 of our games against them for the season...right now we're only 4-3. We've also had a pretty weak schedule thusfar (compared to Cleveland, especially) and we need to widen that gap.

oeo
This was just painful to watch. We had it and then gave it away, and then had it, and then gave it away, and then almost had it again, but not quite.

As long as we take the series, I guess I can live with it. Let's get em tomorrow guys!

Actually we only gave it away once. The first time we were up was in the 8th.

Corlose 15
05-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Sox would have won if the bullpen threw strikes. Period. You can't hang this one on the ump.

Definitely with you on the last line though. The bottom of the order looks pretty sory.

You're right, but Logan had Stairs struck out on a curve and Jenks threw two pitches belt high over the plate to Graffanino that were also called balls.

Frustrating game to watch.

oeo
05-05-2006, 11:41 PM
I am just astonished at the fact that we still have trouble with KC even though Sweeney is out! Bah! Rough game, but tomorrow I will wake up ready for a winner!
I wouldn't really call it trouble. I didn't see most of the game, but it seemed like Elarton was good tonight and Jenks just didn't have it. This is baseball, it doesn't matter how good you are and how bad your opponent is, you're still going to lose a few to them. Just let it go, and kick some ass tomorrow. You don't really know if we're going to win the last 12 against these guys, it's okay, we're a good team and will bounce back.

JUribe1989
05-05-2006, 11:42 PM

First of all, Mack has come through in the clutch many times in his career so don't rip on him. You can't blame him for not coming through in that situation. Burgos throws upper 90's and there was all the pressure in the world on him. Secondly, nice words about Thome, Iguchi, Crede, and Podsednik. There were some good points to this game. Garland pitched great!

JUribe1989
05-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Blaming the ump is pointless in a loss like this. Heck, after all the breaks we got by umps in the playoffs last year I would think that you guys would know blaming the umps is wrong and unfair to them. The umpires will never be the reason for a loss. The Sox bullpen had to throw strikes and the didn't, but EVERY team has a game like this. It's amazing our game came on May 5. This type of game happened to us last year on the third game of the season when Shingo gave up the 3 HR's against the Indians and then Viz was hung out to dry after 4 innings and gave up 6 more runs. The Sox will easily rebound and this game is not a big deal at all. Lighten up everybody.

sullythered
05-05-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm questioning Jenks' Curveball. Now becuase his fastball has obviously lost velocity, his curveball acting as a changeup isnt as effective.

Lost velocity? He was clearly a little fatigued today, but other than that, he's been throwing absolute smoke.

TornLabrum
05-05-2006, 11:45 PM
I really hate losing the first game of a series like this because it means that there is a possibility of losing yet another series to a **** team, and one we've already lost a series to at that!

Still, you're gonna have some games like this one every year. The key is to come back tomorrow, and most of the time these guys will do just that. It's a frustrating loss, but as long as losses are as rare as they are nowadays, it doesn't bother me all that much (except for the blowing the lead part).

JUribe1989
05-05-2006, 11:45 PM

Jenks struck out the side against the Tribe on Monday night with that curveball. There is nothing wrong with Jenks and that was his first blown save.

JUribe1989
05-05-2006, 11:47 PM
I really hate losing the first game of a series like this because it means that there is a possibility of losing yet another series to a **** team, and one we've already lost a series to at that!

Still, you're gonna have some games like this one every year. The key is to come back tomorrow, and most of the time these guys will do just that. It's a frustrating loss, but as long as losses are as rare as they are nowadays, it doesn't bother me all that much (except for the blowing the lead part).

I remember the players saying last year after the Cleveland game when Shingo gave up the 3 HR's that it was still a relaxed clubhouse and they would just go out and get them tomorrow. This is an even more meaningless loss because we are still winning the division and it's a loss against the Royals in MAY.

ShoelessJoeS
First of all, Mack has come through in the clutch many times in his career so don't rip on him. You can't blame him for not coming through in that situation. Burgos throws upper 90's and there was all the pressure in the world on him. Secondly, nice words about Thome, Iguchi, Crede, and Podsednik. There were some good points to this game. Garland pitched great!I could give two ****s about what he's done in the past, he plays for our team now. Now that I think about it, he has not had a single clutch hit this year, which cannot be said for anyone else in our lineup (except for maybe Gload and his 10 ABs), you should know that. So yes, I can and will rip him for being anti-clutch this year. As Bill Melton put it in the postgame show...."Mackowiak had a chance to tie or even win the game and he couldn't come through." And get off the Burgos train, he's not that special.

fuzzy_patters
There is nothing to worry about here. We lost because Jenks and Logan pitched poorly. If we are going to lose, that is the way I want to go down because those two guys have been pitching well overall. Everyone is entitled to an off night every now and again.

PAPChiSox729
05-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Jenks struck out the side against the Tribe on Monday night with that curveball. There is nothing wrong with Jenks and that was his first blown save.

The thought of Jenks being fatigued crept into the back of my mind. That being said, I still would have gone for him and taken the risk. It just didn't work out tonight. Let's get a blowout tomorrow and get Bobby some rest.

No deep pink needed.
:wink:

JUribe1989
05-05-2006, 11:50 PM
I could give two ****s about what he's done in the past, he plays for our team now. Now that I think about it, he has not had a single clutch hit this year, which cannot be said for anyone else in our lineup (except for maybe Gload and his 10 ABs), you should know that. So yes, I can and will rip him for being anti-clutch this year. As Bill Melton put it in the postgame show...."Mackowiak had a chance to tie or even win the game and he couldn't come through." And get off the Burgos train, he's not that special.

Mackowiak's first clutch hit was the third game of the year with a 2 out broken bat single to bring us withing one off Cliff Lee. His last clutch hit was the double that made it a 1 run game against the Angels last weekend. So for the limited amount of play he has gotten, that's pretty damn good. Mackowiak has always been a solid utility hitter and he still will be. I know you are frustrated after this loss, but don't take it out on Mackowiak. It's nothing close to his fault.

TornLabrum
05-05-2006, 11:53 PM
I remember the players saying last year after the Cleveland game when Shingo gave up the 3 HR's that it was still a relaxed clubhouse and they would just go out and get them tomorrow. This is an even more meaningless loss because we are still winning the division and it's a loss against the Royals in MAY.

There are no meaningless losses. However, there are some losses that hurt less than others.

ShoelessJoeS
05-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Mackowiak's first clutch hit was the third game of the year with a 2 out broken bat single to bring us withing one off Cliff Lee. His last clutch hit was the double that made it a 1 run game against the Angels last weekend. So for the limited amount of play he has gotten, that's pretty damn good. Mackowiak has always been a solid utility hitter and he still will be. I know you are frustrated after this loss, but don't take it out on Mackowiak. It's nothing close to his fault.He had his chance to pick up his teamates and failed. Plain and simple.

oeo
05-05-2006, 11:55 PM
There are no meaningless losses. However, there are some losses that hurt less than others.

This is the best team I've ever seen rebounding after a tough loss such as this one. They will put up 10+ runs tomorrow, book it.

JUribe1989
05-05-2006, 11:56 PM

And I know you said that every team has games like this. We were fortunate to have very few this year and hopefully we repeat that. I think of this loss as a little more painless than other losses because now that Bobby has this out of the way it's all smooth sailing. But seriuosly, Bobby had been getting a little tired pitching so much. This was his 3rd day in a row with an appearance. Maybe Ozzie can rest him a little of realize that Cotts should come out to start the 9th, not Thornton.

oeo
05-05-2006, 11:58 PM
He had his chance to pick up his teamates and failed. Plain and simple.
Wow, that's terrible. You do know that the other team is trying to win too, don't you? Jenks didn't have it, plain and simple. Why the hell do you think that it's just easy to go up there and get a hit like that? It was not Mackowiak's fault that the bullpen walked 4 guys in the 9th. *****, I can't believe you just typed that nonsense.

ShoelessJoeS
05-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Wow, that's terrible. You do know that the other team is trying to win too, don't you? Jenks didn't have it, plain and simple. Why the hell do you think that it's just easy to go up there and get a hit like that? It was not Mackowiak's fault that the bullpen walked 4 guys in the 9th. *****, I can't believe you just typed that nonsense.:rolleyes:
I was simply stating he had a chance to come through for us and didn't...settle down.

DickAllen72
05-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Mackowiak's first clutch hit was the third game of the year with a 2 out broken bat single to bring us withing one off Cliff Lee. His last clutch hit was the double that made it a 1 run game against the Angels last weekend. So for the limited amount of play he has gotten, that's pretty damn good. Mackowiak has always been a solid utility hitter and he still will be. I know you are frustrated after this loss, but don't take it out on Mackowiak. It's nothing close to his fault.

Some people seem to just need a scapegoat.

JUribe1989
05-06-2006, 12:02 AM
:rolleyes:
I was simply stating he had a chance to come through for us and didn't...settle down.

I'm with oeo, how can you blame Mack when the bullpen walked all those guys and couldn't get the terrible Royals lineup out. This game is the bullpen's fault, but Politte got a last out and Jenks will be back and better than ever after some rest.

oeo
05-06-2006, 12:03 AM
:rolleyes:
"I could give two ****s about what he's done in the past, he plays for our team now."

That's what got me worked up. Yes, he had a chance, but so did Gooch, so did AJ. Jenks had a chance to save it, Logan had a chance to minimize the damage. It's ridiculous to put the blame on the guy, it's not like he came up there with no effort.

Bobbo35
05-06-2006, 12:05 AM
I just got home from the game and all I have to say is Blah! The crowd was into it, Garland pitched well, the bats were dead for the most part and Jenks should have had a nights rest and McCarthy should have come in for the 9th. It was a nice comeback though. That marks a good team. Thats alright though because tommorow we are going to blow the doors off the Royals, mark my word. GO Sox!

ShoelessJoeS
I'm with oeo, how can you blame Mack when the bullpen walked all those guys and couldn't get the terrible Royals lineup out. This game is the bullpen's fault.For the last time (hopefully), I'm not blaming this game on Mack, that would be foolish. I know that the bullpen blew it, I saw the game. I'm JUST saying that Mack had a chance to pick up his teamates bad efforts in the top half of the 9th, and couldn't.

And DA, I'm not looking for a scapegoat, I was merely stating what I saw. Tough crowd.

TornLabrum
This is the best team I've ever seen rebounding after a tough loss such as this one. They will put up 10+ runs tomorrow, book it.

I hope so! The Windy City Sox Fans' patio party is tomorrow.

JUribe1989
05-06-2006, 12:06 AM
I just got home from the game and all I have to say is Blah! The crowd was into it, Garland pitched well, the bats were dead for the most part and Jenks should have had a nights rest and McCarthy should have come in for the 9th. It was a nice comeback though. That marks a good team. Thats alright though because tommorow we are going to blow the doors off the Royals, mark my word. GO Sox!

Good to hear it Bobbo. Damn right, we will blow the doors off them tomorrow. :D:

oeo
05-06-2006, 12:07 AM

I'll be there as well, should be fun.

JUribe1989
05-06-2006, 12:08 AM
For the last time (hopefully), I'm not blaming this game on Mack, that would be foolish. I know that the bullpen blew it, I saw the game. I'm JUST saying that Mack had a chance to pick up his teamates bad efforts in the top half of the 9th, and couldn't.

And DA, I'm not looking for a scapegoat, I was merely stating what I saw. Tough crowd.

Friends? (offers handshake)

:smile:

We have got to get off the topic of the 9th inning of this game and fast. We are all a little too upset. So how about that performance by Garland?

TornLabrum
05-06-2006, 12:08 AM
For the last time (hopefully), I'm not blaming this game on Mack, that would be foolish. I know that the bullpen blew it, I saw the game. I'm JUST saying that Mack had a chance to pick up his teamates bad efforts in the top half of the 9th, and couldn't.

Even the best players don't get hits with RISP as many as 4 out of 10 AB. I'm not sure how many do in late innings. He had a chance. He didn't succeed. Most players don't most of the time. That's baseball.

WCCMIKE
05-06-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm confused how bad is Dye hurt cause he could have pitch hit for Rob.:?:

Beer Can Chicken
05-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Some people seem to just need a scapegoat.
True. I'm still wondering why nobody has mention Thornton yet. IMO opinion he is more to blame than Jenks, after all he walked the tying run on.

JUribe1989
05-06-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm confused how bad is Dye hurt cause he could have pitch hit for Rob.:?:

I'm kind of wondering that too. This lineup has been doing great without him, but could use him back. He is one great hitter. I hope he doesn't have to go on the DL, but if he is badly hurt we might as well call another player up and put him on the DL. I am assuming that he isn't at that level of injury because that would have been done already.

ShoelessJoeS
05-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Even the best players don't get hits with RISP as many as 4 out of 10 AB. I'm not sure how many do in late innings. He had a chance. He didn't succeed. Most players don't most of the time. That's baseball.I understand fully. It's funny how one is considered successful when they fail 7 out of 10 times. But to revert back to my original post in this thread...I was simply wondering if anyone has seen Mack come through in the clutch this year, that's all.

TornLabrum
05-06-2006, 12:22 AM
I understand fully. It's funny how one is considered successful when they fail 7 out of 10 times. But to revert back to my original post in this thread...I was simply wondering if anyone has seen Mack come through in the clutch this year, that's all.

The answer to the original question would seem to be "at least twice."

EdHerman12
05-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I watched the Tiggers @ Twinkies along with our game.....Leyland has that team flat out hitting the hell outta the ball.....we will rebound from this one, but what a race it's gonna be....:gulp: <------- a few more of these will do!

GO SOX!

TomParrish79
05-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Games like these happen, the bullpen is gonna have rough nights. It was good that we made it exciting in the 9th though.

champagne030
05-06-2006, 12:25 AM
You just cannot run out Bobby every day...he has pitched 5 days in the last week. McCarthy has a fresh arm..why not one inning from him.

Hmmm. BEMAC over Thornton and Logan? Sounds like a good idea to me. Guiel can't get a hit off me, but we need to let Thornton face him instead of Jenks??? I was hoping that OG learned a lesson with Logan in game #3 of the season......Guess not. Please be ready tomorrow JD....Enough with making Gload impersonating an outfielder.

Just venting over losing to the worst team in baseball after leading going into the 9th inning with a lead............

ShoelessJoeS
05-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Hmmm. BEMAC over Thornton and Logan? Sounds like a good idea to me. Guiel can't get a hit off me, but we need to let Thornton face him instead of Jenks??? I was hoping that OG learned a lesson with Logan in game #3 of the season......Guess not. Please be ready tomorrow JD....Enough with making Gload impersonating an outfielder.

Just venting over losing to the worst team in baseball after leading going into the 9th inning with a lead............Looks like it could be another 2-4 days...:(:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060505&content_id=1438858&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

DickAllen72
05-06-2006, 12:28 AM
....Enough with making Gload impersonating an outfielder.

Gload's been playing well filling in for Dye the past few days.

WCCMIKE
05-06-2006, 12:29 AM

Just venting over losing to the worst team in baseball after leading going into the 9th inning with a lead............It would have been awesome if Thome's homer in the 9th was the winning homer owell.Another thing i know he has pitched a lot but put Cotts in not Logan with a 1 run lead.

QCIASOXFAN
05-06-2006, 12:29 AM
I like putting Jenks in to close the game, he is our closer and thats what I think Ozzie should have done. Then again I do not manage the team, so I think we will get them tomorrow!

oeo
05-06-2006, 12:31 AM
I watched the Tiggers @ Twinkies along with our game.....Leyland has that team flat out hitting the hell outta the ball.....we will rebound from this one, but what a race it's gonna be....:gulp: <------- a few more of these will do!

GO SOX!

A lot of teams are flat out hitting well against Twins pitching. They were shut down the last two games by Angels pitching. They really don't worry me, their pitching will not keep it up.

johnny_mostil
05-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Blaming the ump is pointless in a loss like this. Heck, after all the breaks we got by umps in the playoffs last year I would think that you guys would know blaming the umps is wrong and unfair to them. The umpires will never be the reason for a loss. The Sox bullpen had to throw strikes and the didn't, but EVERY team has a game like this. It's amazing our game came on May 5. This type of game happened to us last year on the third game of the season when Shingo gave up the 3 HR's against the Indians and then Viz was hung out to dry after 4 innings and gave up 6 more runs. The Sox will easily rebound and this game is not a big deal at all. Lighten up everybody.

Even Mariano Rivera got bombed tonight. The Yankees won anyway because they had a 7-run lead to start the 8th. Rivera can in with a 4-run lead and 2 outs and the bases loaded later in that inning. He let in all 3 runs with 2 singles and then Cano made an excellent play to save 2 more runs. It was a weird night all around.

johnny_mostil
05-06-2006, 12:37 AM
It would have been awesome if Thome's homer in the 9th was the winning homer owell.Another thing i know he has pitched a lot but put Cotts in not Logan with a 1 run lead.

Cotts is gassed. He throw 1 2/3 innings on Wednesday and pitched yesterday. You can't keep doing that.

champagne030
05-06-2006, 12:38 AM

2-10 doesn't seem "well" to me. I'm not knocking Gload as a hitter, but Dye catches the ball tonight or KC has zero on the board going to the 9th. One game for Gload okay....Let Anderson play CF and put Mack in right.....pinch hit Gload for Anderson if we need a hit late.

ShoelessJoeS
05-06-2006, 12:41 AM
2-10 doesn't seem "well" to me. I'm not knocking Gload as a hitter, but Dye catches the ball tonight or KC has zero on the board going to the 9th. One game for Gload okay....Let Anderson play CF and put Mack in right.....pinch hit Gload for Anderson if we need a hit late.Yea, what's with Anderson having so many games off? Is Ozzie just trying to get Gload some playing time?

infohawk
05-06-2006, 12:42 AM
I think we sometimes undervalue teams like the Royals with respect to what our record "should be" against them. We should treat them like any other team and be content with winning the series. If we sweep, all the better. We set ourselves up for disappointment when we think that we are so good that certain teams should "never" beat us. When the proverbial stars align a certain way in a game, anything can happen. Tonight it was the bullpen and the inability to get much going off of Elarton. For whatever reason, Elarton is tough on us. I was at a game against the Indians last September when he completely shut us down. I don't know if its his weird motion or what, but when he is pitching decently, we can't seem to center the ball off him very well and we look bad. I remember being astonished that the Indian's number five starter was owning us. Let's get them tomorrow!!!

champagne030
05-06-2006, 12:42 AM
Yea, what's with Anderson having so many games off? Is Ozzie just trying to get Gload some playing time?

Two words....Naked photos.

BeviBall!
05-06-2006, 12:43 AM
He had his chance to pick up his teamates and failed. Plain and simple.

Jesus... relax. Let me guess... you'd rather Timo be out there?

ShoelessJoeS
05-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Jesus... relax. Let me guess... you'd rather Timo be out there?This is squashed, let it go.

SluggersAway
05-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Good thing no one will have a chance encounter with KW in an elevator tonight; could've been brutal (for the fan not Kenny).

champagne030
05-06-2006, 12:47 AM
I think we sometimes undervalue teams like the Royals with respect to what our record "should be" against them. We should treat them like any other team and be content with winning the series. If we sweep, all the better. We set ourselves up for disappointment when we think that we are so good that certain teams should "never" beat us. When the proverbial stars align a certain way in a game, anything can happen. Tonight it was the bullpen and the inability to get much going off of Elarton. For whatever reason, Elarton is tough on us. I was at a game against the Indians last September when he completely shut us down. I don't know if its his weird motion or what, but when he is pitching decently, we can't seem to center the ball off him very well and we look bad. I remember being astonished that the Indian's number five starter was owning us. Let's get them tomorrow!!!

Elarton...Shmelarton. We had the lead going into the 9th and Ozzie had a brain fart and let Thornton start the inning. He then compounds that error by bringing in Logan to try and clean up Thornton's and Jenks' mistakes.

21stcenturySox
05-06-2006, 12:50 AM
I was thinking that it was unwise for Gload to try to make a diving catch on the ball in the 7th. Better to play that ball on a hop and keep Buck to a single. ( a second guess on my part, no doubt) And the ball German hit to score Buck would have been caught by BA, methinks. (yes, yes, a second guess)

Still, the law of averages with the Royals would seem to dictate that KC will win a few games this year. As we have pretty much lorded over them, I'm not going to get bummed over this one.

The strangest play of the night was the CS by AJ in the ninth. I was watching the game with my nephew and he was asking me how to score that one.

2 CS. You don't see that very off--ten.

Corlose 15
05-06-2006, 12:50 AM

Just venting over losing to the worst team in baseball after leading going into the 9th inning with a lead............

He put Thornton in to face a lefthanded batter. If he's going to go with a right hander to start the ninth he might as well just use Bobby.

Logan was outstanding in his last outing against Cleveland so I don't have a problem with Ozzie using him and you can't keep sending the same guys out there. It just didn't work out. The only thing I really would've done differently is let Bobby start the ninth, he didn't have it tonight though so it might not have even made a difference.

This game sucked. Kick ass tomorrow and Sunday.

infohawk
05-06-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm with oeo, how can you blame Mack when the bullpen walked all those guys and couldn't get the terrible Royals lineup out. This game is the bullpen's fault, but Politte got a last out and Jenks will be back and better than ever after some rest.
Despite the occasional inconsistency, I think our bullpen is pretty decent as far as bullpens go. I have a feeling, however, that KW may turn it into a monster strength at the trade deadline. I know it's early, but we have good starters, good hitters, good defenders and good depth. The only seeming weakness (barring injury) is the bullpen, and when I say weakness I mean relative to our strengths. If KW believes one or two bullpen upgrades will get us to the Series again, I guarantee you he will do it. Just a feeling.

infohawk
05-06-2006, 12:58 AM

And DA, I'm not looking for a scapegoat, I was merely stating what I saw. Tough crowd. Eh, we're all just frustrated by the weirdness of that game. First it looked like we wouldn't score, then it looked like big bad Bobby would come in and we couldn't lose, then it looked like Logan possibly struck out Mienkievitch (sp) then it looked like Stair's hit made a comeback unlikely, then Thome's homer and Paulie's single made it look like we just might pull it out, only to come up a bit short. The fact that there were so many opportunities just left everyone cranky.

infohawk
05-06-2006, 01:00 AM
True. I'm still wondering why nobody has mention Thornton yet. IMO opinion he is more to blame than Jenks, after all he walked the tying run on. Yeah, but his run was only the tying run. Bobby gave up 3.

infohawk
05-06-2006, 01:03 AM
Let's not rush Dye back until he's ready. We're not going to win or lose the pennent in the handful of days he's out. If we took a chance and lost him for an extended period of time, we might have problems.

BeviBall!
05-06-2006, 01:07 AM
We may have lost the game, but we have momentum. Take the next 2 and win the series.

infohawk
05-06-2006, 01:07 AM
A lot of teams are flat out hitting well against Twins pitching. They were shut down the last two games by Angels pitching. They really don't worry me, their pitching will not keep it up. Last year we only lost 5 games to the Royals. This year we have lost what, 3? Who knows, we may not lose another game to them this year or we may lose more to them than last year. I do think that we will win more games against the Twins this year than last year, so it could "even out" if you know what I mean. I don't care how we do it or against who we do it, just so we win 97-100 games. I also share your assessment about the Tigers staff. Maybe they'll surprise us, but I don't see them outperforming our rotation over a full season.

DickAllen72
05-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Let's not rush Dye back until he's ready. We're not going to win or lose the pennent in the handful of days he's out. If we took a chance and lost him for an extended period of time, we might have problems.

I agree. There's a reason why teams carry 25 players.

infohawk
05-06-2006, 01:16 AM
Elarton...Shmelarton. We had the lead going into the 9th and Ozzie had a brain fart and let Thornton start the inning. He then compounds that error by bringing in Logan to try and clean up Thornton's and Jenks' mistakes.
I'm just saying that, yes, the bullpen blew what should have been a win, but how often does a starting pitcher not named Santana keep us at two runs through six innings? You'd think we'd get at least 3 or 4 off of Elarton. I'm not blaming anyone. It's just one of those things.

infohawk
05-06-2006, 01:20 AM
He put Thornton in to face a lefthanded batter. If he's going to go with a right hander to start the ninth he might as well just use Bobby.

This is a classic example of why it can be so tough to be a manager. If Bobby starts the inning and gives up his three runs, we are likely getting on Ozzie for not keeping Thornton in the game considering he absolutely shut the Royal's down in the eighth. If Thornton gets the first batter and Bobby gets the save, we think Ozzie is brilliant for letting Thornton face the lefty. This is a case of where the players make the manager look good or bad.

Viva Medias B's
05-06-2006, 01:22 AM
I was really angry during that ninth inning tonight, sitting in right field. I wasn't happy that our bullpen imploded for the second time in three games. Not to be a dark cloud by any means, but I had a gut feeling that Jenks would not get it done tonight. He has been terrific prior to tonight, and (like all closers) he was due for a bad outing which he obviously had tonight. When the ball dropped in front of Mackowiak providing what would be the Royals' margin of victory, the fans really started getting on him. When he came up and eventually flew out to end the game, people were not happy.

Is this bad loss a cause for dard cloudedness? Not at all. You cannot be that when you're the best team in baseball with a 20-9 record. I believe we are just fine. And if our bullpen continues to struggle, you know that KW will do something about it.

Let's get 'em tomorrow, boys and girls.

MUsoxfan
05-06-2006, 01:30 AM
The Sox must have put a full-service liquor bar in the bullpen this year. These guys have serious issues.

Tekk
05-06-2006, 02:16 AM
There's alot of silly comments in this thread. The sox are 20-9, relax.

gbergman
05-06-2006, 02:24 AM
uggh

cbotnyse
05-06-2006, 02:36 AM
Sportscenter just showed the highlights and showed our record as 20-10 :?: ...are they assuming a lost tomorrow already?? :tongue:

JB98
05-06-2006, 02:47 AM
The Sox must have put a full-service liquor bar in the bullpen this year. These guys have serious issues.

No kidding. In the last five days we have:

1. Nearly crapped away a 7-0 lead to Cleveland. Should have been an easy win. Instead, Jenks had to come in to save the day. We never should have needed our closer that night.
2. Blown a 4-1 lead in the eighth against Seattle. Needed Ozuna's heroics to save our ass. Wasted a great game by Garcia.
3. Tonight's debacle.

Too early to panic, but if we get about 60 games into the season and we're still seeing these issues, KW will have to act. A lockdown bullpen has been a key component of several recent championship teams, including the 2005 Sox. Will this bullpen get to that level? It's an unanswered question at this time.

And, yes, I know we're 20-9. That doesn't mean the Sox shouldn't strive to fix their weaknesses and get better.

TheOldRoman
05-06-2006, 02:48 AM
You're right, but Logan had Stairs struck out on a curve and Jenks threw two pitches belt high over the plate to Graffanino that were also called balls.

Frustrating game to watch. Yep, there is no excuse for walks. Ever. The bullpen deserved this loss tonight.
However, as you said, Logan had a strikeout. I don't remember the pitches to Stairs, but he threw a curve to Mientkiewicz that was right there (Doug started to walk to the dugout), but the ump decided not to call it. That is especially bad because Thome struck out with a full count and Scotty on 3rd and 1 out on a pitch in the same exact spot. I was screaming about the horrible strike call to Doug Misspelling right when it happened, and the Sox went on to give up two more runs. How big did those runs turn out to be?

As for the rest of the game, it was a horrible performance by the offense until the 7th. Elarton was pretty good, but they should have had tagged him much sooner than the 7th. Garland really deserved to get this win. Dye would have easily made the catch that Gload let go for a double, and that was the only run Jon allowed.
:jon
"Hey guys, you remember that one time when you scored a bunch of runs early against the Royals but I blew the game and cost us the win? We are SOO even now."

JB98
05-06-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm not worried about bobby because he's pitched in the last 3 or 4 games including 1 and 1/3 last night. When your bread and butter is a 100 mph fastball, your gonna loose some juice after a few days. He just needs rest.

Also, didn't we sign a reliever who used to be with seattle?

Yes, Jeff Nelson. He won four World Series rings with the Yankees, but he's 39 years old. I guess we'll find out whether he has another good year left in him. A low-risk signing by the Sox.

itsnotrequired
05-06-2006, 02:55 AM
Bah, what can you do? Awesome outing by Garland but Elarton was just as awesome. Get 'em tomorrow.

A fun night otherwaise as I threw my bows with ChiSoxGirl, Dump Jerry and chisoxmike at Puffers after the game. robiwho made an apperance later in the evening as well. The good drinks and good times helped us in swallowing the loss. jenn2080 told us amazing tales of the West Coast on te fan deck before the game.

BIG UPS to ChiSoxGirl for buying me a beer at Puffers and giving me a ride home. The ride home is the ultimate gift.

Sig update time.

Beautox
05-06-2006, 05:13 AM
I was thinking that it was unwise for Gload to try to make a diving catch on the ball in the 7th. Better to play that ball on a hop and keep Buck to a single. ( a second guess on my part, no doubt) And the ball German hit to score Buck would have been caught by BA, methinks. (yes, yes, a second guess)

Still, the law of averages with the Royals would seem to dictate that KC will win a few games this year. As we have pretty much lorded over them, I'm not going to get bummed over this one.

The strangest play of the night was the CS by AJ in the ninth. I was watching the game with my nephew and he was asking me how to score that one.

2 CS. You don't see that very off--ten.

i have to agree with you on both the gload dive and anderson out in CF, i too think that.

Grzegorz
05-06-2006, 06:09 AM
If KW believes one or two bullpen upgrades will get us to the Series again, I guarantee you he will do it. Just a feeling.

One or two bullpen moves will cost the White Sox. At what price are these moves to be made?

I'd like to see the pen be consistant, it's certainly no excuse but it is early and some of these guys are learning on the job.

I didn't expect the pen to be "lights out".

The Tigers will not keep hitting at this pace but their pitching will in all likelyhood remain the lynchpin of the team. They'll be there in the end along with the Tribe.

wassagstdu
05-06-2006, 08:05 AM
I am just astonished at the fact that we still have trouble with KC even though Sweeney is out! Bah!

Huh? KC scored one run through 8 and then the bullpen gave them a gift. The Sox were outpitched.

TornLabrum
05-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Sportscenter just showed the highlights and showed our record as 20-10 :?: ...are they assuming a lost tomorrow already?? :tongue:

It's ESPN. They screw up anything.

wassagstdu
05-06-2006, 08:18 AM
When the ball dropped in front of Mackowiak providing what would be the Royals' margin of victory, the fans really started getting on him. When he came up and eventually flew out to end the game, people were not happy.

Why boo anyone on a team that is 20-9? Is this the kind of "fans" being a winner brings into the park? And by the way it is "flied" out to end the game -- unless the guy is Superman.

MarySwiss
05-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I turned off the game after they broke it open in the top of the ninth. This is the first time I had absolutely no faith that they would come back; they just looked a little too flat. Then today I wake up, bring in the paper, and see that the Kitties and Toons both won. I am not a happy camper this morning. :(:

Oh, well; let's get the next two.

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Why boo anyone on a team that is 20-9?
Agreed. They are in FIRST PLACE.

Besides,
:tomatoaward

PAPChiSox729
05-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Huh? KC scored one run through 8 and then the bullpen gave them a gift. The Sox were outpitched.

That's what I was saying. Sweeney has always killed them in these close games. Even though he is out now, they still can't seem to get the job done, hitting or pitching. As long as they win the series, they will be fine. They always seem to do better against the good team anyways.

Steelrod
05-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but I turned off the game after they broke it open in the top of the ninth. This is the first time I had absolutely no faith that they would come back; they just looked a little too flat. Then today I wake up, bring in the paper, and see that the Kitties and Toons both won. I am not a happy camper this morning. :(:

Oh, well; let's get the next two.
Mary, you did wake up this morning so be happy!
It's not going to be like last year, but I think we'll be fine. Besides, games are less stressful to watch now that we're the World Champs.

MarySwiss
05-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Mary, you did wake up this morning so be happy!
It's not going to be like last year, but I think we'll be fine. Besides, games are less stressful to watch now that we're the World Champs.

Good point! Beautiful day so far. I'm heading to downtown Chandler later on to the Cinco de Mayo fest--watch the Chihuahua races, knock back a margarita or two, then it's home to take a swim, order up a pizza, and kick back and watch the Suns beat the snot out of the Lakers and the Sox do the same to the Royals.
As everyone keeps saying, it's good to be king. Or in my case, queen! :D:

viagracat
05-06-2006, 10:54 AM
I missed the whole game except for the bottom of the ninth. Guess it was a good night for the Church to schedule my daughter's confirmation.:cool:

As I said a couple days ago, KC is a major league team. "Any given (insert day of the week)", you know? It's hard for all 25 players to bring their A game every night, and it sounds like some guys in the pen didn't. It happens. Even the best teams lose 60 or more games a year. If the Sox win today, this one will be forgotten quickly. It's good to be king.

ChiSox Fan 68
05-06-2006, 11:54 AM

I'll be at the patio party with my hubby and a few friends. Looking forward to a fun time and a White Sox winner!

DickAllen72
05-06-2006, 02:29 PM
As I said a couple days ago, KC is a major league team. "Any given (insert day of the week)", you know? It's hard for all 25 players to bring their A game every night, and it sounds like some guys in the pen didn't. It happens. Even the best teams lose 60 or more games a year. If the Sox win today, this one will be forgotten quickly. It's good to be king.

Thank you.