PDA

View Full Version : New home for the Twins?

Daver
01-29-2002, 03:49 PM
I doubt it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20020128/378243.html

czalgosz
01-29-2002, 03:57 PM
But with threatening to fold, Pohlad has succeeded in changing the whole mood in Minnesota, which he couldn't do before.

Nellie_Fox
01-29-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
But with threatening to fold, Pohlad has succeeded in changing the whole mood in Minnesota, which he couldn't do before.
He may have succeeded in changing the mood among some politicians, but polls show no change in the attitude of the citizens of Minnesota, who are still strongly against public financing of new stadia. Besides, Donald Watkins, possible Twins purchaser, has stated that he doesn't believe in public financing of sports stadia, and will build a new ballpark with private financing.

voodoochile
01-29-2002, 05:02 PM
I think this is a good thing. I am not for using current tax revenues to finance public stadiums, but this is the exact way they built Comiskey and how they are financing the new Bears Stadium. The extra 1% tax isn't hurting any restaurant business or hotel business in downtown Chicagp, and a good chunk of the money comes from out of towners (hehehe).

I am all for private enterprise building their stadiums when and where possible, but many businesses get tax breaks to set up shop, or get a ton of Govenment sponsered infrastructure money. I still believe that a bunch of the money should come from private sources and to that end, I am one of the few known supporters of PSL's for Bears seats. I will gladly pay for mine if offered the chance. I will use the stadium more than most other people, so I will chip in my $$ to see that it gets built.

You do not have to steal from the children to make these things happen, but you do need creative thinking when it comes to financing. Minnesota is on the right track to keep its existing sports teams there for a long time.