PDA

View Full Version : Robert Fick Sighting in Harrisburg

1951Campbell
05-05-2006, 07:55 PM
So, this post requires a story first.

A few weeks ago, I was at a Harrisburg Senators game. They were playing the Yankees affiliate, the Trenton Thunder. At any rate, it was a weeknight game and it was very sparsely attended. So sparsely, in fact, that the scorecards handed out that usually welcome a group at the ballpark said "Welcome Central Pennsylvania Association of Invisible People." My wife and I got seats directly behind home plate, second row. There were about 400 people there.

Needless to say, the players could hear everything said from the stands. Lo and behold, the pitcher for the Thunder takes a no-hitter into the 8th, and they were up 1-0. I stand up and yell "hey, try not to think about the no-hitter!" Well, after I said that, high and outside, high and outside, and then a rope to right center. The Senators had broken up the no-no and went on to win in extra innings.

So, a couple of Thunder fans sitting right behind me were quite upset, as was my wife. The miffed Thunder fans told me a no-hitter is "sacred" and were pissed, for real. My wife said I wasn't allowed to be mean to Double A players anymore.

Now, I have have a few points in my defense:

1. Who says you can't try and psyche out the visiting team in your home park?

2. If some schlub yelling stuff at you is going to rattle you in Double A, how can you handle the majors?

3. Of course I could root against the no-no, one run would have tied the game.

4. Christ, it was a Yankees affiliate. How sorry should I feel for them?

ANYWAY...my wife is at a Senators game tonight. Robert Fick has since joined the Senators. Since I've already been put on notice by my wife that my rooting needs some work, I had to say "no" to joining her at the game tonight (she's there for work).

Because...could you imagine what I'd say to Robert Fick?

maurice
05-05-2006, 08:02 PM
could you imagine what I'd say to Robert Fick?

In addition to the obvious, might I suggest something about him being the worst so-called "All Star" of all time?

1951Campbell
05-05-2006, 08:06 PM
In addition to the obvious, might I suggest something about him being the worst so-called "All Star" of all time?

I'm quite sure I had 9 innings of material for him, and that's on the list for sure.

RKMeibalane
05-05-2006, 08:14 PM

I don't know about that. As much as I dislike Fick for his antics six years ago, there is one former All Star who rates even lower than Fick in the minds of most Sox fans.

:hitless

"I am the greatest!"

1951Campbell
05-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I don't know about that. As much as I dislike Fick for his antics six years ago, there is one former All Star who rates even lower than Fick in the minds of most Sox fans.

:hitless

"I am the greatest!"

Wrong.

Sox players The Choice assaulted: 0.

Times The Choice flipped off Sox fans: 0.

QED.

21stcenturySox
05-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Good story. Reminds me of a game back in '92. A couple of buddies and I were taking in a Chicago double header (Scrubs afternoon, Sox @ nite). We were sitting in the boxes down the left field line and the Cubs had what they thought was the new Ron Santo playing 3rd that day, some kid by the name of Gary Scott. He was in the midst of some 0-fer and I yelled at him 'hit yer weight or it's back to Iowa fer you, rook!' on his way back to the dugout. The fans around me were livid, one blue-haired lady called the Frain's over to come over, telling me 'he feel's bad enough already without you nasty Sox fans giving him a hard time!'

I was laughing about it until that nite at the Sox game, which fate would have it was the night Tim Raines took out Ozzie on a fly ball to left. My buddies still needle me that it was all started by the bad mojo I had laid on Gary Scott that afternoon.

I was right though, Scott was demoted and never heard from again.

LuvSox
05-06-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm quite sure I had 9 innings of material for him, and that's on the list for sure.

I gave Fick a few of my drunken thoughts a few years ago. In front of my wife's boss. :smile:

TornLabrum
05-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I gave Fick a few of my drunken thoughts a few years ago. In front of my wife's boss. :smile:

And when you got home....

PaleHoseGeorge
05-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Somebody please help refresh my memory. Was Fick the all-star team's token Tiger back in 2002?

Wow, how much must that team have sucked?
:o:

SoxandtheCityTee
05-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Reminds me of a game back in '92. . . . which fate would have it was the night Tim Raines took out Ozzie on a fly ball to left. My buddies still needle me that it was all started by the bad mojo I had laid on Gary Scott that afternoon.

I was at that Sox game, sitting on the third base side, watching that collision with a sick feeling in my stomach. So you were to blame, eh? :wink: Well then you get some of the credit for Ozzie spending his down time studying the game, leading to his becoming a good young coach then manager in the future (that's how I came to see that fateful injury anyway!)

SOXintheBURGH
05-06-2006, 02:23 PM
:rolling:

Robert Fick!? How the mighty have fallen.

Harrisburg ballpark any good, 51?

1951Campbell
05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Harrisburg ballpark any good, 51?

It's cheap and you're close to the field. Other than that, the charms are few. Well, it's on an island in the middle of the Susquehanna, that's kind of cool at least.