PDA

View Full Version : My 10 Seconds with KW

RealFan
05-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I found out late last week that I had to be in Cleveland for an early morning meeting this past Tuesday. My admin made me my plane and hotel reservations as I had to get into town the night before.

So I'm laying on the couch over the past weekend watching the Sox sweep the Angels and Hawk mentions that the road trip continues to Cleveland for a quick two game set and I jump out of the couch and say "HOLY S(*&" as I realize that I'm going to be in Cleveland during the series.

I landed on Monday at 5:00 PM, checked into my hotel and hightailed it over to the Jake. Purchased a $16 mezzanine ticket and found another Sox fan from Chicago (he was by himself) with whom to hang out during the game.

My new friend and I reveled in the quick 7 - 0 lead and made chit chat with some nice Indians fans around us. We then chewed off our fingernails sweating out the victory. After the game, I ran back to my hotel to get to bed so I would be "fresh" for my meeting the next morning.

As I hit the elevator button in the lobby to go up, the door opens and lo and behold, Kenny Williams is right in front of me with some other dude who had no clue. I said hi to KW and then said "Good game tonight." KW said - "I didn't like the way we got there." He seemed pretty upset about the relievers. As the elevator continued upward, I said that I had flown into town a bit early to catch the game and that a win is a win. KW said that's true and then I got out. I think the other dude in the elevator cab was confused as to why I would strike up a conversation with a random dude in the elevator.

Anyway - my wife later reminded me that I should have at least said "thank you" or something like that for last year. I was proud that I didn't trip once I saw him. The next morning, as I was leaving for my meeting, I saw all of the Sox luggage gathered in the lobby (with player numbers all over the bags) and I sooooo badly wanted to hang right there near where the entire team would soon be boarding the bus for the Jake. But I have to pay my mortgage, so on I went. :D:

cleanwsox
05-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Liar!

Kenny Williams doesn't use elevators, elevators use Kenny Williams.

ILuvThatDuck
05-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Kenny Williams levitates

Baby Fisk
05-05-2006, 01:28 PM
You are truly blessed, for KW allowed you to witness him in human form.

Iwritecode
05-05-2006, 01:34 PM
That totally surpasses the 10 seconds I spent on an elevator with Gene Honda at Soxfest. :(:

He was heading upstairs for a smoke which really suprised me considering he relies on his voice for a living.

Flight #24
05-05-2006, 01:36 PM
I hope that by now you've fully recovered from the roundhouse kick to the face that I know you got as KW's standard "goodbye"!

Vernam
05-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Cool story! Typical that KW wasn't happy despite the win. And don't worry about forgetting to say thanks . . .

Jerry Reinsdorf was at the bottom of the down escalator just as we entered Sox Fest, so my son and I basically walked to the show floor with him. I asked, "Are you tired of people saying 'thanks?'" Jerry: "Not at all." Me: "Thanks!"

Vernam

batmanZoSo
05-05-2006, 01:44 PM
That totally surpasses the 10 seconds I spent on an elevator with Gene Honda at Soxfest. :(:

He was heading upstairs for a smoke which really suprised me considering he relies on his voice for a living.

It's the smoking that actually gives him that husky, voice-of-God thing he's got going on. Before he took up smoking, he actually sounded like Pee Wee Herman. :smile:

http://www.shanghaiist.com/attachments/shang_dan/The_More_You_Know.jpg

PicktoCLick72
05-05-2006, 02:04 PM
YOu probably spent a couple hours with him but Kenny Williams erased most of your memory, for his words are to powerful to understand.

The Critic
05-05-2006, 02:08 PM
It's truly amazing to consider that two or three years ago, those same 10 seconds would probably have been spent blurting out seven trade suggestions, or complaining about Todd Ritchie.
What one little world title will do......:D: :bandance:

asindc
05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
That you were allowed to bask in his maginificence, albeit briefly, suggests that you might be destined for great things. :D:

soxfanatlanta
05-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Sweet. Did you hair turn all white? :tongue:

DumpJerry
05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
I said hi to KW and then said "Good game tonight." KW said - "I didn't like the way we got there." He seemed pretty upset about the relievers.
Grinder Rule 46: "Complacency" is not a word in the English language.

woodsdavid
05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
i once rode the elevator on my way up to a meeting at the ritz carlton on mich. ave. w/ kathy ireland. she's magnificent.
but in a different way than kenny.

Unregistered
05-05-2006, 02:42 PM
YOu probably spent a couple hours with him but Kenny Williams erased most of your memory, for his words are to powerful to understand.:thumbsup:

:KW

"Just stare into the light, my child."

EndemicSox
05-05-2006, 02:58 PM
I spent a good minute in an elevator with Ozzie at SoxFest '96, he was carrying a huge television to his hotel room because his wife didn't like the one that came with the room. He was bitching and moaning the whole "trip". My friend asked for his autograph and the Oz said he would give it to him if he helped carry this bigscreen to the room. Although we were only 12/13 at the time, Ozzie couldn't have been a nicer guy. My buddy still has the autograph, who knew he would lead the Sox to a title one day?

miker
05-05-2006, 03:00 PM
i once rode the elevator on my way up to a meeting at the ritz carlton on mich. ave. w/ kathy ireland. she's magnificent.
I'm so jealous!:mad:

pdimas
05-05-2006, 03:12 PM

I was riding the elevator at the W Hotel on Lake Shore and got to share it with Biz Markie

http://files.bbarak.cz/news/biz_markie/biz_front.jpg

somehow its just not the same :(: . He seriously took up 2/3rds of the elevator.

I have had some drinking/partying experiences with athletes, models etc. though so that makes up for it. :smile:

INSox56
05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
aah elevator stories.....3 soxfests ago me and my buddy are getting ready to hit the sack at like 2 or 3am. Door's closing and in walks Crede with like 2 of his family with him. Let's just say he was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASTED. It was awesome. He was leaning forward with his face on the floor buttons. Quick conversation and a laugh. Good times, good times.

dickallen15
05-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Cool story! Typical that KW wasn't happy despite the win. And don't worry about forgetting to say thanks . . .

Jerry Reinsdorf was at the bottom of the down escalator just as we entered Sox Fest, so my son and I basically walked to the show floor with him. I asked, "Are you tired of people saying 'thanks?'" Jerry: "Not at all." Me: "Thanks!"

Vernam

A few weeks ago we left USCF through the elevator which take you down to 35th St. behind home. They had the WS trophy and AL championship trophy in a case and we were taking pictures with our cell phones. JR walked rolling a suitcase, my buddy went over and shook his hand and congratulated him. JR said that was in the past, he's concentrating on the present. It was after a loss to Toronto, I believe.

Berkules
05-05-2006, 06:07 PM
i know where bonds' kid goes to school in brentwood if anyone wants to send syringes

markopat
05-05-2006, 07:38 PM
YOu probably spent a couple hours with him but Kenny Williams erased most of your memory, for his words are to powerful to understand.

There is a rumor that he has one of those 'Flashy Things" from Men In Black...hmmmmm...Men in Black...

awesomefan
05-05-2006, 07:55 PM
RealFan.....Awesome story!!!! I've gone to SoxFest 10 times & have run into a few of the sox players not in an autograph line. Ozzie, Ray Durham & Ed Farmer & Tom Pachoric (Whimpy). Got my picture taken with all of them except Whimpy....I did take his picture & got autograph,

All of them were very nice to me & I sat in the lobby with Farmio & had a long chat & picture taken. I talked to him about his way of not wearing sox on his feet. I guess it was the thing to do in California or Ed is just weird or has some kind of foot fetish. :smile:

Baby Fisk....your comment cracked me up :tongue:

JohnBasedowYoda
05-06-2006, 02:38 AM
http://files.bbarak.cz/news/biz_markie/biz_front.jpg

Dear lord. Worst. Picture. Ever.

FoulTerritory
05-06-2006, 03:45 AM
In 89 (I was 14) Kathy Ireland was to throw out the first pitch of a game. My dad had won a season ticket holder raffle for a Sox jersey and was told he could pick it up at the "business office" at old comiskey before any game by bringing his ticket. While we were waiting in the office for before the game, for them to bring the jersey to him, I noticed Kathy Ireland also hanging out there; I recognized her from the recent swimsuit issue that was circulating around my middle school hallways. She was dead gorgeous. If I wasn't so nervous I would have asked for her autograph. I assume they had her waiting in there before her first pitch throw, but at the time I didn't know why the heck she was in there. I remember telling my brother, who had waited outside, that I saw Kathy Ireland in the office, and he didn't believe me . . . until she was on the field throwing out the first pitch about 30 min later. Very thrilling for a 14 year old!

RealFan
05-07-2006, 07:15 PM
These are some great stories. The only thing I forgot to mention in my original post was that Kenny thanked me for coming out to Cleveland to support the Sox. This was in between the two "I don't like how we got there" quotes about the almost blown victory.

Very intense man.

warehouse823
05-08-2006, 01:45 AM
Anyone who knows Gene Honda knows he smokes like a Chimney...unreal...He's a great guy.

Did you get to Witness Kenny Heal the Blind?

chisoxmike
05-08-2006, 01:48 AM
You are truly blessed, for KW allowed you to witness him in human form.

:rolling:

I ran into him in a starbucks about an hour before the final home game in 2003. I told him no matter what I will always be a sox fan. He said thank you and there will be many changes this offseason. I was in awe of the man.