PDA

View Full Version : Conan O'Brian wears SOX Jersey on morning news

Hangar18
05-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Anyone catch Conan this morning on NBC?

CHIsoxNation
05-05-2006, 11:12 AM
I saw him on there yesterday at the park with a sox jersey on. I didn't watch the rest of the news to find out what he had to say but it was still nice to see.

cbotnyse
05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
that man knows his baseball :thumbsup:

MsSoxVixen22
05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Whoa.....wait a minute....Conan is a Sox fan?! :o: If so, awesome!

cbotnyse
05-05-2006, 11:17 AM
I think this was a previous thread, but does anyone know how to get tickets, if they are still available??

batmanZoSo

Yeah, Red Sox. He's from Boston.

cleanwsox

Probably just promoting his trip to Chicago.

doublem23

I doubt it. I think he's doing promos for his shows that are upcoming in Chicago. I didn't see that, but on Wednesday night (I think) they had some guy come in with a thick faux-Chicago accent and pretend to give all the New Yorkers in the crowd a lesson on our inferior dialect.

CHIsoxNation
05-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I think this was a previous thread, but does anyone know how to get tickets, if they are still available??

You had to fill out a form on Conan's website. If you were selected as someone to receive tickets for one of his shows then you would have gotten a confirmation email already.

Railsplitter
05-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Can you say "bandwagon'?

spiffie
05-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Can you say "bandwagon'?
And if he'd worn a Cubs jersey the complaint would have been "why don't we get any attention even though we won?"

jenn2080
05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Can you say "bandwagon'?

How is that bandwagon? He is doing his show in Chicago. He is showing a little Chicago Love thats all. You think he is gonna come to Chicago, go to a Sox game and wear a Red Sox hat.

Hangar18
05-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Can you say "bandwagon'?

Hes just wearing the jersey to promote his show.
PER THE USUAL, the situation 100% of the time wore the jersey of the other team :angry:

spiffie
05-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Hes just wearing the jersey to promote his show.
PER THE USUAL, the situation 100% of the time wore the jersey of the other team :angry:
When exactly has he been otherwise seen in a baseball jersey, let alone a Cubs jersey? (I assume you mean Cubs since you say "the other team" with much anger). I know I couldn't find a single shot on Google. If you can please post it.

wdelaney72
05-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Welcome the bandwagoners, people. You can't complain about never getting an national (or local) media attention, and then when we finally get a little love, it's just people jumping on the bandwagon.

Embrace the love, and just take comfort in the fact that you yourself know you were here before the crowd. I most certainly am.

jenn2080
05-05-2006, 12:03 PM
When exactly has he been otherwise seen in a baseball jersey, let alone a Cubs jersey? (I assume you mean Cubs since you say "the other team" with much anger). I know I couldn't find a single shot on Google. If you can please post it.

I think what was trying to be said that when someone comes into town Leno, Conan, Joe Blow whoever that they usually wear Cubs stuff. Not Conan in general

ILuvThatDuck
05-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Cant We All Just Get Along???

cheeses_h_rice
05-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Did anyone else see the cop on Dateline's "To Catch a Predator" this week wearing a Sox cap as he was arresting and interrogating the pedos?

:)

asindc
05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Welcome the bandwagoners, people. You can't complain about never getting an national (or local) media attention, and then when we finally get a little love, it's just people jumping on the bandwagon.

Embrace the love, and just take comfort in the fact that you yourself know you were here before the crowd. I most certainly am.

Amen.

White Sox Randy
05-05-2006, 12:37 PM
You can't have it both ways - complain that we don't get enough respect and attention but then when we do, complain that these are just bandwagon jumpers and we don't want them.

We are getting what we want - as it was said, enjoy it.

LongLiveFisk
05-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Hell yeah--if he's gonna wear a Chicago jersey at least he picked the right one! :cool:

jenn2080
05-05-2006, 01:15 PM
You can't have it both ways - complain that we don't get enough respect and attention but then when we do, complain that these are just bandwagon jumpers and we don't want them.

We are getting what we want - as it was said, enjoy it.

apparently some are never happy

samram
05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
I doubt it. I think he's doing promos for his shows that are upcoming in Chicago. I didn't see that, but on Wednesday night (I think) they had some guy come in with a thick faux-Chicago accent and pretend to give all the New Yorkers in the crowd a lesson on our inferior dialect.

I saw that. I didn't think they were being condescending in any way during that segment. It wouldn't make much sense to promote the taping of your show in a particular city and then to insult said city a week before going there.

NardiWasHere
05-05-2006, 02:07 PM
I saw that. I didn't think they were being condescending in any way during that segment. It wouldn't make much sense to promote the taping of your show in a particular city and then to insult said city a week before going there.

Yeah I got the same impression. I thought it was pretty funny. I want to say Conan lived in the Chi for a little back in the day... I also want to say that he lived with Jeff Garlin.... I could be wrong.

Anyway, he always acts like he likes the city a lot. Before the Chicago accent segment, he was talking to Max and they both said they loved the city and were excited.

SIDENOTE: I remember Garlin was once a guest on the show and Conan asked him how it felt to be a Cub fan. Jeff then showed him a collectable cup one would get at Wrigley. On the cup, there was a painting of a Cub player. Jeff said that even the painting on the cup showed the Cubs messing up. He then pointed out that the painting depicted a Cub outfielder with what looked like a ball sailing over his head. It was actually really funny.

TheDarkGundam
05-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Yeah I got the same impression. I thought it was pretty funny. I want to say Conan lived in the Chi for a little back in the day... I also want to say that he lived with Jeff Garlin.... I could be wrong.
You are correct sir. I belive thy had an apartment outside of...you know. That place on the northern side of the city.

It wouldn't make much sense to promote the taping of your show in a particular city and then to insult said city a week before going there. Isn't that what happened when Conan filmed some shows in Canada a couple years ago?

goon
05-05-2006, 04:40 PM
http://www.nbc5.com/video/9162108/index.html

a "take 5" segement of conan, he's at US Cellular wearing the jersey, doesn't talk about the sox though.

samram
05-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Isn't that what happened when Conan filmed some shows in Canada a couple years ago?

No. He went to Toronto and Triumph did a piece either in or about Quebec which made fun of Quebec and French-Canadiens. It was hardly insulting the host city.

RealMenWearBlack
05-05-2006, 06:05 PM
No. He went to Toronto and Triumph did a piece either in or about Quebec which made fun of Quebec and French-Canadiens. It was hardly insulting the host city.

Didn't he do something like that when he went to some Scandanavian country?

samram
05-05-2006, 06:14 PM

Not sure. I know he made some appearances over there because he bears an uncanny resemblance to Finnish president Tarja Halonen.

TheDarkGundam
05-05-2006, 06:20 PM
There's the sort-of ongoing "Conan Obrien hates my homeland" segment were he insults every country in the world so he can find out what countries air his show.

goon
05-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Not sure. I know he made some appearances over there because he bears an uncanny resemblance to Finnish president Tarja Halonen.

he had a special a few weeks back about his recent trip to finland where he actually got to meet the finnish president.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2006, 06:27 PM
The people complaining about Conan in this thread remind me too much of the tools who draped the giant sign "yuppie scum go home" at Old Comiskey.

Yeah, it was so much better watching ****ty Sox teams lose night after night, but not ever worry about the fan credentials of the 5,000 people who bothered to witness the mess.

:kukoo:

hsnterprize
05-05-2006, 07:58 PM

We are getting what we want - as it was said, enjoy it.AMEN to that, brother. Conan can help show the world which Chicago baseball team really deserves the hype. And I'll take Max Weinberg doing a drum solo alongside Nancy Faust anytime, too.:D: :D: :D:

he gone!
05-06-2006, 02:10 AM

that guy was wearing a sox shirt

Grzegorz
05-06-2006, 06:19 AM
Can you say "bandwagon'?

Can you say "clown"? Beat it Conan; tell your story walking...

No, I am not a fan...

Whitesox029
05-06-2006, 10:32 AM
...and he was wearing a Sox shirt.

Joosh
05-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Is Conan going to be throwing out the first pitch at a game this weekend?

BackNBlack
05-06-2006, 12:19 PM
I actually like the fact he wore a Sox jersey on TV, it shows he at least notices who the best team is in town even if he might be pushing for his own show. We need more of this to help change the label that this is a "cubs" town, even if we dont like who it is doing it. Just as long as it's done with tatse and sincerity it's all good.

wolcott10
05-06-2006, 01:29 PM

I think that guy is from Chicago.

Ron Karkovice
05-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Can you say "clown"? Beat it Conan; tell your story walking...

No, I am not a fan...

You're probably alone here with this one. Conan is some funny tv.

TheDarkGundam
05-06-2006, 01:55 PM
I actually like the fact he wore a Sox jersey on TV, it shows he at least notices who the best team is in town even if he might be pushing for his own show. We need more of this to help change the label that this is a "cubs" town, even if we dont like who it is doing it. Just as long as it's done with tatse and sincerity it's all good.
What are you talking about? I like who's doing it.
Except for 2 or 3 people here no one has a problem with Conan wearing a Sox jersey.

Cellview22
05-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Does anyone know how long he'll be taping shows in Chicago?

BackNBlack
05-06-2006, 02:31 PM
What are you talking about? I like who's doing it.
Except for 2 or 3 people here no one has a problem with Conan wearing a Sox jersey.

I meant "we" in general, not particularily aiming for Conan myself but whoever might be wearing a Sox jersey or hat ie: Ron Howard, Lebron James etc.

Blueprint1
05-07-2006, 04:04 AM
I am pretty sure the Sox had just given Conan that jersey. He was at the Cell when he was being interviewed.

Trav
05-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Do you think that Yankee fans go through this every time they see a celeb wearing their hats or jerseys?

SoxandtheCityTee
05-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Does anyone know how long he'll be taping shows in Chicago?

All this week (that is, Tuesday through Friday; they show reruns on Mondays).

For an article about the Chicagoans on Conan's writing staff, see Sunday's Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/sho-sunday-conan07.html

tick53
05-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Probably just promoting his trip to Chicago.

Could be, but he could have wearing the other teams. :smile:

ode to veeck
05-09-2006, 10:04 AM
The people complaining about Conan in this thread remind me too much of the tools who draped the giant sign "yuppie scum go home" at Old Comiskey.

I gotta admit, at the time, I loved that banner! Was it at the beginning of the interleague games? (coffee hasn't sunk in herre on the left coast yet)

TornLabrum
05-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I gotta admit, at the time, I loved that banner! Was it at the beginning of the interleague games? (coffee hasn't sunk in herre on the left coast yet)

The first time I remember seeing the "Yuppie Scum Go Back To Wrigley" sign was in left field at the old ballpark in the 1990 season when attendance started to pick up after the normal pre-Memorial Day doldrums.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-09-2006, 10:22 PM
The first time I remember seeing the "Yuppie Scum Go Back To Wrigley" sign was in left field at the old ballpark in the 1990 season when attendance started to pick up after the normal pre-Memorial Day doldrums.

That's when I first saw it, too. It has made numerous repeat visits since then at the new park.

What was that Grandpa Simpson used to say about Sox Fans? Oh yeah... "Bitch! Bitch! Bitch!"

:?:

Joosh
05-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Late Night with Conan is on, and they just showed him with Mr. T at the Cell, taking batting practice and showing Dye his crazy batting stance.

chisoxmike
05-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Conan also made the following joke in his opening monologue..

The White Sox are currently the best team in baseball, while the Cubs are the best team in Wrigleyville.

lizard6king6
05-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Conan is great, I cant wait to see him tommorow. I love the Sox refrences!!!

chisoxmike
05-10-2006, 01:02 AM
WOW. Conan referenced Shallers Pump and a Bridgeport beatdown by Daley!

Chisox003
05-10-2006, 01:02 AM
I know, I'm lovin it.

This is hilarious so far

HotelWhiteSox
05-10-2006, 01:05 AM
That was awesome!

Soxfanspcu11
05-10-2006, 01:06 AM
I know, I'm lovin it.

This is hilarious so far

It was great!!!

The Bridgeport Beatdown was the best part!!!! I love that!!!

Too bad that the Flubs fans in the audience probably applauded and don't even realize where Bridgeport is, but oh well! It rocked the house!!!!

UofCSoxFan
05-10-2006, 01:14 AM
The bat he was using for bp was 44....brian anderson's

I loved La Bamba dressed up as a cop b/c "he's the only band member w/ a mustache."

LuvSox
05-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Good show. Let's hope he doesn't wind up on the Northside this week.

cbotnyse
05-10-2006, 09:08 AM

yeah that was great! :D: :D:

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2006, 09:28 AM

Highly doubt they'd do that. It's great the Sox were the team in town when he came here!!!

Rocky Soprano
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM

The White Sox are currently the best team in baseball, while the Cubs are the best team in Wrigleyville.

How did the crowd react?

Chip Z'nuff
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I gained some more respect for Conan after that show last night. I was assuming they would show Clark St, downtown, and do something in front of Wrigley.

Conan hit 43rd & State for his remote, then Sox park in a 78 Mark, no less. I was always a casual fan, but he won me over with Tuaseday's show. Did anyone tape the drive segment?

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2006, 10:43 AM
How did the crowd react?

Most of the crowd went crazy, while you heard a few boos.

WikdChiSoxFan
05-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I gained some more respect for Conan after that show last night. I was assuming they would show Clark St, downtown, and do something in front of Wrigley.

Conan hit 43rd & State for his remote, then Sox park in a 78 Mark, no less. I was always a casual fan, but he won me over with Tuaseday's show. Did anyone tape the drive segment?

I'm thinking we'll see a show with a Northside bent later this week. So I'm holding my Palehose biased applause until the end of the week. (although, he does get my normal applause almost every night of the week.)

Mr. T and George Wendt?....ah two of chicago's finest! (Can we do no better Chicago?)

My favorite part is when Conan is talking to JD and saying, "I like to hold the bat real loose, like this see." And JD says really dry, "That doesn't work."

vegyrex
05-10-2006, 11:06 AM

Gee, I don't know about that.

Aren't their some wiffle ball teams in wrigleyville that have better records? :tongue:

cbotnyse
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
How did the crowd react?

I am wondering this too...there had to be some Cub-fan boos...just wondering what was louder, the boos or the cheers...anybody know??

32nd&Wallace
05-10-2006, 11:31 AM

Conan hit 43rd & State for his remote, then Sox park in a 78 Mark, no less. I was always a casual fan, but he won me over with Tuaseday's show. Did anyone tape the drive segment?A 78 mark?

32nd&Wallace
05-10-2006, 11:32 AM
What was he doing at 43rd and State?

spiffie
05-10-2006, 11:34 AM
:sahaf
There is only one team in Chicago. The rumors of a second franchise affiliated with Major League Baseball are nothing but Tribune propaganda and media lies!

Chip Z'nuff
05-10-2006, 11:39 AM
A 78 mark?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:w0z4D7txTcjO-M:http://www.1motormart.com/gallery/78linc02.jpg

Chip Z'nuff
05-10-2006, 11:40 AM
What was he doing at 43rd and State?

Mr T used to live there. The segment showed him in the empty lot and Conan says "Hey T! I found your bike chain"

LuvSox
05-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Mr. T and George Wendt?....ah two of chicago's finest! (Can we do no better Chicago?)

I'll bet Bill Murray shows up in a Cub hat sooner or later.

SoxFanPrope
05-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Hilarious stuff last night, anytime Mr. T and Conan can be put together you know it will be a good time!

I think Conan will do something on the Northside whether or not it places an emphasis on the Cubs. It only makes sense for someone in show business to visit a city and try to appeal to everyone there.

peeonwrigley
05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Mr. T took him to the former site of the Taylor homes, where T apparently grew up.

I saw Conan filming something up here (they were filming outside of B.L.U.E.S. at Halsted and Altgeld), so there will be some northside stuff as well. Hell, Conan lived in Wrigleyville when he lived in the city.

Shorty1983
05-10-2006, 01:38 PM
That was a loud reception he received from the audience. Loved the political debate skid and Mr. T's city tour. Out of all the city bands in Chicago, why would they choose "Cheap Trick"...terrible. I'm looking forward to Chapelle's guest appearance and Common a native Chicagoian.

LuvSox
05-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Cheap Trick TORE IT UP! Rock & Roll baby!

Chip Z'nuff
05-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Cheap Trick TORE IT UP! Rock & Roll baby!
In total agreement! A true Chicago original, without Cheap Trick, there would be no Off Broadway, no Enuff Z'nuff & no Smashing Pumpkins. All owe their sound to Rick Nielsen & Robin Zander

HotelWhiteSox
05-10-2006, 04:43 PM

The funniest part was the Cubs' fans who started cheering after Conan said 'while the Cubs are the best team...', thinking they would actually be named for something serious

irish rover
05-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Conan had a twin anchors shirt on yest, great ribs

MikeLove
05-10-2006, 07:20 PM
I can't wait for Chappele and Common, anyone know when that is going to air? Also, does anyone have a link or a copy of the video of JD on last night?

Haha oh yeah I just remembered something. A couple of years ago my friend had a clip on Conan where they had someone from Des Plaines and someone from Park Ridge. Being from Des Plaines it was absolutely hilarious, though im sure 99.9% of the people didnt know *** was going on. I need to try to find a clip of that right now!

thomas35forever
05-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Why did Conan have to knock out the light that has the World Series banner on it??? Hilarious!

gr8mexico
05-11-2006, 12:18 AM
I can't wait for Chappele and Common, anyone know when that is going to air? Also, does anyone have a link or a copy of the video of JD on last night? I went to todays show and it was GREAT!!!! The show will be airing tonight. The only thing that sucked was that Roney Woo-Woo was there.Besides that the show was great:bandance:

HotelWhiteSox
05-11-2006, 12:43 AM
How quickly you turn on me La Bamba

HotelWhiteSox
05-11-2006, 01:35 AM
The only thing that sucked was that Roney Woo-Woo was there.

I think you confused him with a stoned Dave Chapelle :wink:

soxruleEP
05-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Is anyone else troubled by the media wetting themselves to cover Conan's visit? I expect Channel 5 to promote it, but all the papers as well? It makes us look like Indianapolis.

samram
05-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Is anyone else troubled by the media wetting themselves to cover Conan's visit? I expect Channel 5 to promote it, but all the papers as well? It makes us look like Indianapolis.

Yeah, Chicago can be a bit of a cow town when it comes to shows taping there. I also wish the crowd wouldn't cheer for a full minute everytime Conan says the word "Chicago."

The show was good though. I thought Chappelle was hilarious.

Chip Z'nuff
05-11-2006, 10:44 AM

Agreed, it's not like other shows do not tape here.

markopat
05-11-2006, 12:06 PM
In total agreement! A true Chicago original, without Cheap Trick, there would be no Off Broadway, no Enuff Z'nuff & no Smashing Pumpkins. All owe their sound to Rick Nielsen & Robin Zander

Actually a Rockford, Illinois Band! The Hometown Boys!

If you get a chance to see a band called Harmony Riley, 2 of Rick's boys, Daxx and Miles, are in the band and they rock...Heavy Cheap Trick influence!

PorkChopExpress
05-11-2006, 04:17 PM
I assumed they would do something related to the Cubs, and I was hoping it would be a trip by Triumph to Wrigley talking to the "fans" about the game, the teams playing there, etc. and getting clueless answer after clueless answer demonstrating to the nation how half the people at Wrigley are there to party and not to watch baseball, and otherwise mocking Cubs fans.

kobo
05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Agreed, it's not like other shows do not tape here.
Besides Oprah, what other daytime or primetime or late night television show tapes here? And don't tell me Jerry Springer, I'm talking about a talk show that broadcasts nationally. I can't think of one.

Chip Z'nuff
05-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Besides Oprah, what other daytime or primetime or late night television show tapes here? And don't tell me Jerry Springer, I'm talking about a talk show that broadcasts nationally. I can't think of one.

I never stipulated primetime or latenight. Only taping of shows. Sorry if i wasn't specific enough for you.

HotelWhiteSox
05-11-2006, 11:50 PM

I think some of the people in the crowd have been a little over the top with the cheering, though I do love Conan.

If anyone missed the Sox thing on Tuesday, it's on Conan's website http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Conan_O'Brien/index.shtml . I think it plays automatically, the one with Mr. T, about 2 minutes in

goon
05-12-2006, 12:02 AM
what i find frustrating is every two seconds some dumbass is screaming out interrupting conan or his interview. manners people!

hsnterprize
05-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Why did Conan have to knock out the light that has the World Series banner on it??? Hilarious!What you should be asking is why wasn't there a Hawk Harrelson call of Conan's "home run" with some JOE CREDE!!!-type enthusiasm?