PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/5/06

Hangar18
05-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Though Toni Ginetti is back in Chicago, she cant be bothered with writing a story having anything to do with the 1st Place, Best Record in Baseball White Sox. She instead talks about Greg Maddux and what he and Jamie Moyer of the Mariners have in common.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in history to lead wire-to-wire, the currently 1st Place best record in baseball White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves lagging far far far behind in media coverage to a team that finished in 4th Place last season, is currently in 5th place now, and has only 3 90-win Season since 1950 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Chicago Media .................. embarrassing

Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Friday May 5th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th Place in 2005 Cubs 355
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 05 SOX 310

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Keep it up, Hangar!

This is absolutely inexcusable, embarassing and disgusting. The media should be ashamed of themselves.

The only way they legitimately can be called journalists is when the word is written in teal.

1951Campbell
05-05-2006, 09:50 AM
She instead talks about Greg Maddux and what he and Jamie Moyer of the Mariners have in common.

They're has-beens on teams going nowhere this season?

Hangar18
05-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Greg Maddux gets record to 5-0
Giant full-color pictures, in both papers, including CubSational headlines.
In Fact, SunTimes devotes the ENTIRE back page with his photograph!
This is usually reserved for events of historical significance (SuperBowl Win,
WS Championship etc) Gets Fluff articles by columnists in both papers.

Jose Contreras gets record to 5-0
No Sensational headlines, No Giant full-color pictures, only gets small blurb in corner of Trib front page,
no extra coverage of this feat, even though it was accomplished in a much tougher American League

Dan Mega
05-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Did you see the title of the article covering the Sox win yesterday Hangar?

It says The Sox pitcher "survives".

Survives what? Is surviving a synonym for "dominates"?

The Cubune truly is pathetic.

voodoochile
05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I normally stay out of these threads, but once again I am sucked back in and honestly it's not Henry's fault, it's the fault of that rag of a paper called the Flubune.

Can anyone imagine what the hype would be like if the flubbies had won the WS (yeah, right... I crack me up) and then opened the next season 20-8 with the best record in baseball? The hype would be over the top right now. Words like dynasty would be being thrown around.

Sox can't get arrested in this town and it's a damned shame that the way they are playing in defense of their championship is being treated like any other sports story. Remember when the Bulls opened the 1992 season on a tear? Talk about them breaking the league record for wins was happening in December.

20-8, flubune... 20-8! Time to wake up and start paying attention to that which is going ons south of Madison. The Sox are for real and have the makings of a team that is in it to win it for years to come. It isn't our fault you hired Dusty and signed headcase pitchers who refuse to listen to anyone but the voices in their head. It isn't our fault that you try to limit the amount of money you spend on the on-field product thus damaging the chances you have of doing what the Sox did last season. It isn't our fault that the players you do have are fragile and prone to long stints on the DL. It isn't our fault that the Astros, Reds and Cards are all off to good starts and tha the Brewers are " " that close to being a WC team.

Suck it up and crank up the Hype... the Sox are here to stay...:supernana:

DMarte708
05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
No Sensational headlines, No Giant full-color pictures, only gets small blurb in corner of Trib front page,
no extra coverage of this feat, even though it was accomplished in a much tougher American League Contreras also happens to be the recepient of an actual homeplate; not one in which three inches is given on either side.

Is it coincidence the stadium with questec happens to be installed is the one where Maddux continually struggles? Yes, Arizona has good left handed hitters, but I noticed Maddux appeared flustered when several of his "hey, I'm a Cy Young winner...I deserve that" pitches weren't called strikes.

PatK
05-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Did you see the title of the article covering the Sox win yesterday Hangar?

It says The Sox pitcher "survives".

Survives what? Is surviving a synonym for "dominates"?

The Cubune truly is pathetic.

I noticed that as well.

It seems like they are not even trying to cover up their dislike for the Sox.

SOXPHILE
05-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Well, in today's Trib, I see Sox-Cubs stories are tied at 4-4. O.K. Sox won Series last year and are 20-8 this year, while Cubs are "surging" at 14-13, but even though the Sox deserve much more hype and coverage than that other team, at least we're tied today, right ? Well, last week, when the Cubs had home games, and the Sox were on the west coast, the stories in the Tribune the following morning were usually 5-2 or 5-3 Cubs, the logic being that because the Sox were on the west coast and had later starts, they wouldn't get the same full coverage as the home playing Cubs. Situation is flip-flopped now, and the home team has the best record in baseball. What's the logic now Tribune ?

batmanZoSo
05-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the Cubs empire of popoularity in Chicago. The Sox will obviously have to keep winning to ever match or overtake the Cubs in this town. Frankly, all I care about is the winning part. In the mean time, hey...at least their newspapers are absorbent.

:pee

patbooyah
05-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Contreras also happens to be the recepient of an actual homeplate; not one in which three inches is given on either side.

Is it coincidence the stadium with questec happens to be installed is the one where Maddux continually struggles? Yes, Arizona has good left handed hitters, but I noticed Maddux appeared flustered when several of his "hey, I'm a Cy Young winner...I deserve that" pitches weren't called strikes.

and also, jose isn't a cheater/junkballer. (marky b said it first! :bandance: )

ChiSoxGirl
05-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Like voodoochile, I usually stay out of the News Media Watch threads, but I can't restrain myself today, given what happened at yesterday's game.

We have a pitcher who's not only 5-0, but hasn't lost since mid-August of 2005, and has an ERA of 1.41. That 1.41 has got to be smaller than the number of years in total Kerry Wood has spent on the DL in his sparkling career.

Over and above that, Contreras is a guy whose career was sputtering in New York and with the miraculous work and confidence of Cooper and Guillen, he turned his career around and has become one of the more dominating pitchers this team and this town has seen in recent memory. Not all guys can pitch (or play) in New York and enough years spent there could undoubtedly break a guy's confidence. Baseball is a mental game and Contreras has proven not only that he has amazing stuff, but that he is tough and able to withstand the hype and constant pressure of establishing a successful career in New York.

EARTH TO THE CUBUNE: DOMINANCE RESIDES ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF TOWN, NOT THE BELOVED NORTH SIDE!!!! START COVERING IT!!!!!!

daveeym
05-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Though Toni Ginetti is back in Chicago, she cant be bothered with writing a story having anything to do with the 1st Place, Best Record in Baseball White Sox. She instead talks about Greg Maddux and what he and Jamie Moyer of the Mariners have in common.

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in history to lead wire-to-wire, the currently 1st Place best record in baseball White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves lagging far far far behind in media coverage to a team that finished in 4th Place last season, is currently in 5th place now, and has only 3 90-win Season since 1950 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 05 SOX 310 Hangar the flubtimes online had that Moyer/Maddux article listed under Sox Stories too so you're count is wrong. :cool: Also, as couch said:
But there really is nothing to say about the White Sox. They're good. They're great.
So don't expect anything but a game recap from here on out. Nothing to see here, they're good, they're great.

Hangar18
05-05-2006, 10:53 AM
Can anyone imagine what the hype would be like if the flubbies had won the WS (yeah, right... I crack me up) and then opened the next season 20-8 with the best record in baseball? The hype would be over the top right now. Words like dynasty would be being thrown around.

............it's a damned shame that the way they are playing in defense of their championship is being treated like any other sports story. Remember when the Bulls opened the 1992 season on a tear? Talk about them breaking the league record for wins was happening in December.

Its funny you mention this. As of Today, (and of days ive kept track of, the total is actually MORE), the SOX are LOSING in media stories to the Cubs by 45. Again, thats just what ive counted, its actually alot more, ive missed some days/weekends. ON this date in 2004, the Cubs were coming off their "historic" 2003 season winning the division with only 88 games, and winning NOTHING in the playoffs. Do you know how many stories they were LEADING THE SOX BY BACK THEN AT THIS TIME? They outright DOMINATED THE SOX with a 170 Story Lead !!!!
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32831&highlight=chicago+newsmedia+watch

This is what is so Repulsive and Disturbing about the Chicago Media. The White Sox came off their own "historic" season, winning 99 games, leading the league, and actually winning something of significance (sorry, 1998 wild card champs doesnt cut it with me) They Won the World Series.
And Were still losing in coverage. How pathetic is that

Chip Z'nuff
05-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks for your reports Hangar. My printed cubune boycott started 5 years ago, today I start my online boycott.
for news i'm sticking with the Southtown, here's a breakdown for today
Sox 4, Mariners 1
(http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd7.htm)Sox again are early risers
Fans, be warned again: Show up late to White Sox games at your own risk.
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/gifs/whiteline.gif

Sox 4, Mariners 1
(http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd8.htm)Cold? Consider Contreras red-hot
Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has no doubt, and the numbers back him up: Right now, Jose Contreras is the best pitcher in baseball.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/gifs/whiteline.gif
Sox Notebook
(http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/051sd9.htm)Ozzie likes strength in reserve(s)
A good bench gets to be good through frequent use, a philosophy Ozzie Guillen long has promoted and continues to serve him well.

White Sox Randy
05-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Greg Maddux gets record to 5-0
Giant full-color pictures, in both papers, including CubSational headlines.
In Fact, SunTimes devotes the ENTIRE back page with his photograph!
This is usually reserved for events of historical significance (SuperBowl Win,
WS Championship etc) Gets Fluff articles by columnists in both papers.

no extra coverage of this feat, even though it was accomplished in a much tougher American League

NOT ONLY THAT BE HE HAS 13 WINS IN A ROW !

IF ANY FLUBS PITCHER HAD DONE THAT, AFTER EACH START WOULD BE A SYNOPSIS OF EACH OF THE PREVIOUS WINS AND THERE WOULD BE A CITY WIDE COUNTDOWN !

BainesHOF
05-05-2006, 11:25 AM
The Tribune has been a journalistic joke, especially in its sports section, for a handful of years now.

Tribune sports employees: Come out, come out wherever you are and please explain the story discrepancy. George Knue, where are you?!

MadetoOrta
05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Let's think about this: what makes for a better sports/human interest story:

a) I am a reject from the Twinkies who fooled the cubs into paying me 8 figures, I'm washed up, I learned early why so many people hate cub fans, I'm JAQUE JONES! or

b) I defected from Cuba on a raft leaving my wife and family behind, since being reunited [in Chicago] I have become one of the dominant pitchers in baseball, I lead the Chicago White Sox to their first WS in 88 years, I've won 13 consecutive decisions and my family is united and loving the city of Chicago, I am JOSE CONTRERAS!

I'd love to send this out as a poll around the country to gauge guess which story got a 2-page spread in a major Chicago newspaper?

Keep fighting Henry!:angry:

palehozenychicty
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the Cubs empire of popoularity in Chicago. The Sox will obviously have to keep winning to ever match or overtake the Cubs in this town. Frankly, all I care about is the winning part. In the mean time, hey...at least their newspapers are absorbent.

:pee

I agree, that the franchise just needs to keep winning, and the rest will take care of itself.

CaptainBallz
05-05-2006, 12:27 PM
It has been quite comedic how the tune has changed amongst my Cubs fan friends since Flubs championship first week of the season. Not one of them is tooting the blue horn, especially since the Sox are in such an obviously dominant position. The only ones that don't seem to realize this is the Chicago media.

Now why could that be....?:noevil:

thepaulbowski
05-05-2006, 01:10 PM
I knew there would be a field day with the headlines when I went to the Trib's website and saw "Sox Pitcher Survives for 13th Win in a Row." Nothing like putting a negative spin on a positive thing. Idiots.

Dick Allen
05-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Ginnetti covered the Sox game yesterday, and today's paper has her story on the game plus a story about THE OTHER TEAM in town? I've never seen this. It looks like things are getting worse before they get better.

TomBradley72
05-05-2006, 01:35 PM
I knew there would be a field day with the headlines when I went to the Trib's website and saw "Sox Pitcher Survives for 13th Win in a Row." Nothing like putting a negative spin on a positive thing. Idiots.

Meanwhile....Phil Rogers wrote about how Carlos Zambrano is "pursuing excellence" a few weeks ago. More updates on Prior/Wood's towel drills and simulated games and Prior's latest tummy ache than Buehrle's 5 year run of excellence, Contreras' great run, etc. It's such a joke....but that whole culture deserves what it gets.

Then Baker supports its all with lots of excuses about: no LH batting practive pitcher, the desert air is why Jacque Jones doesn't know when to tag up, why there is no depth at !B when DLee goes down (Todd Walker is the best the blue machine can come with? where's the sense of urgency?). More excuses in a week from the Cubbies than you would hear from Ozzie/KW in a year or more. The whole culture...the players, the management, the Tribune, and especially the fans...deserve what they are getting: propaganda and mediocre performance on the field.

sullythered
05-05-2006, 01:41 PM
When Jose Contreras is the LEAD STORY on BASEBALL TONIGHT, and he gets minimal coverage in his own town, something's wrong. "Survives?" You gotta be kidding me.

palehozenychicty
05-05-2006, 01:49 PM
When Jose Contreras is the LEAD STORY on BASEBALL TONIGHT, and he gets minimal coverage in his own town, something's wrong. "Survives?" You gotta be kidding me.

Ironically, they hyped him to death when the Yanks/Red Cubs entered a bidding war for his services. So now, they're pushing underhanded sour grapes that he's on a championship team and throwing tremendously. Poo on them.

CaptainBallz
05-05-2006, 01:56 PM

I believe there was a headline last year that was so unnecessarily negative that most people on here noticed that it was an editor mocking Sox fans and probably this very thread. They have to do it just to get under our skins because we're the ONLY ones who seem to notice and care. What they don't realize is that they'll be woefully behind the curve as the Sox keep dominating. They'll be exposed at a national level for the joke they've become. It's their loss..

rwcescato
05-05-2006, 02:04 PM

Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
4 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 05 SOX 310

It is ashame how the leave the Sox out of the news. Here is Conteras who said the he owed the White Sox team some victories after having a bad 1st half last year. I believe he said I owe this team right before the 2nd half started. Since then he is 17-2 including the playoffs..
Maddux starts off at 5-0 and he is the greatest pitcher in this town. They can report anything they want but they can't take our World Championship from us. And right now it sure looks like a repeat is possible.
GO SOX!!!!!
Rich

hsnterprize
05-05-2006, 02:18 PM
All these replies to Hangar's post only show me one thing...Hangar...we need you to keep up the fight!!!!! Stevie Wonder could see how biased the Trib/Cubune is towards the north siders. A little negativity here...a little spin there...nothing like something subtle to keep the positive press north of Madison Street.

If the Tribune were smart, they'd sell the Cubs faster than a Bobby Jenks fastball. But, we know how smart they are on Michigan Avenue, so I'll stop dreamin'. :D: :D: :D:

maurice
05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
The Cub-fan entertainment writer for the Cubune relates this story in his 'blog (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_popmachine/2006/05/the_sox_are_mor.html). He mentioned in passing that the Sox are more fun to watch than the Cubs. The editor became angry and called him a "traitor." He also admits that the Cubune's ownership of the Cubs makes them "that much more lovable":

I like the White Sox.... This is a problem in the eyes of the aforementioned editor, a diehard Cubs fan with whom Ive been a fellow sufferer for years. During the rare pauses amid our dutiful devotion to the excellence of the Chicago Tribune (which shares a parent company with the Cubs, thus making the team that much more lovable), we might trade an e-mail or two to note the latest bullpen collapse or power outage. I grew up as a Cubs fan, still am. Id love to see them win it all someday.

Thanks for your honesty, Mr. Caro.

Rounding_Third
05-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks Hanger for your diligent work in this area! I can't wait for the day these numbers turn around, if ever. Even a repeat may not do it. Anyway, thanks a lot!!!

SOXPHILE
05-05-2006, 02:37 PM
The Cub-fan entertainment writer for the Cubune relates this story in his 'blog (http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_popmachine/2006/05/the_sox_are_mor.html). He mentioned in passing that the Sox are more fun to watch than the Cubs. The editor became angry and called him a "traitor." He also admits that the Cubune's ownership of the Cubs makes them "that much more lovable":

I wonder if that editor was Ann Marie Lipinski...

http://www.pulitzer.org/images/lipinski2.jpg
"DON'T YOU EVER MENTION THOSE WHITE SOX AGAIN, YOU TRAITOR !! Everyone, especially here in the Tower, knows that our Cubs are Chicago's, America's, heck, the world's favorite team. They are soooo lovable. You say something like that again, mister, you can start cleaning out your' desk !"

daveeym
05-05-2006, 02:43 PM
I wonder if that editor was Ann Marie Lipinski...

http://www.pulitzer.org/images/lipinski2.jpg
"DON'T YOU EVER MENTION THOSE WHITE SOX AGAIN, YOU TRAITOR !! Everyone, especially here in the Tower, knows that our Cubs are Chicago's, America's, heck, the world's favorite team. They are soooo lovable. You say something like that again, mister, you can start cleaning out your' desk !" Oooh you just brought in George's favorite whipping post. PHG to weigh in in 10.9.8...

Chip Z'nuff
05-05-2006, 03:10 PM

This article compares the White Sox to Adam Sandler and The Cubs to Jack Nicholson? Sox are a guilty pleasure? Slumming it? I hate the Tribune, I swear this is the last time I am ever reading it.

Oh check out this comment...
If you're such a Cubs fan, you'd stick with them during difficult times, a.k.a. 70% of their playtime. That's what it is to be a Cubs fan. You're not wrong for appreciating the Sox, but don't put down your beloved Cubs while doing it.
CARO COMMENT: 70 percent is the official fan benchmark? I didn't realize that.
I'm sticking with them. I'm just saying, when they're down 10-0, I may decide it's time to sort my CD collection.

palehozenychicty
05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Let the truth keep being told. Uncle Jerry, can you hook this man up with a gig at the Southtown? Cause he will be fired. :D:

palehozenychicty
05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
This article compares the White Sox to Adam Sandler and The Cubs to Jack Nicholson?

Sounds accurate to me, as in Jack Nicholson being one of the most overrated actors of all time, who rides on a hype machine and hams it up at Laker games like Cub-dumb with its pet child Ronnie Woo Woo in the Urinal booth.

Chip Z'nuff
05-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Caro's response to my comment:

I thought Morissey said that there was no bias at Trib Tower? If the Editor of the paper called you a traitor then someones lying!
CARO COMMENT: I meant the editor to whom I'd referred earlier in the piece, not the editor of the paper. This one is a section editor with a sense of humor and a doomed affection for the Cubs (which I share).

Hitmen77
05-05-2006, 04:14 PM
It's not just the Tribune that gives the Cubs too much coverage. What about the Sox own home station - The Score? Unless an actual Sox game, pre-game/post-game show, or White Sox weekly is on, they're talking about the Cubs way more often than the Sox.

Not to say that they should never mention the Cubs - and maybe my timing is just bad, but I swear when ever I tune in they're going on about Sean Marshall, Todd Walker, analyzing the Cubs to death with Steve Stone, etc. I never hear them talk about the Sox.

Hitmen77
05-05-2006, 05:34 PM

I think he was right on the money with this comment:

The Cubs vibe has just gotten ugly ever since they choked in the 2003 championship series against the Marlins. The players complain about the media. The players complain about the broadcasters. The players complain about the fans.

How very true. I'm still amazed at how the fortunes of Chicago's 2 baseball teams have done a 180 since October 2003. It feels to me like Cub-dumb was punished for its arrogance and Sox fans were rewarded for sticking with the true underdogs. I think this reversal of fortunes sits in the back of my mind as a check against any urge I have to become too cocky or arrogant (i.e.; Cub fan-like) about the White Sox.

hsnterprize
05-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I think he was right on the money with this comment:

How very true. I'm still amazed at how the fortunes of Chicago's 2 baseball teams have done a 180 since October 2003. It feels to me like Cub-dumb was punished for its arrogance and Sox fans were rewarded for sticking with the true underdogs. I think this reversal of fortunes sits in the back of my mind as a check against any urge I have to become too cocky or arrogant (i.e.; Cub fan-like) about the White Sox.I was working at a radio station here in Chicago when the Cubs were in their playoff run. You would not believe the arrogance and cockiness amongst members of the media as far as the Cubs' inevitible berth in the World Series that year. I saw a ton of reports from field reporters basically saying the Cubs would win, and there was no way the Marlins would beat them...especially since games 6 and 7 were at Wrigley, Prior and Wood were pitching, yada, yada, yada. Well, at my station, just about everyone except for me and my news director were on the Cubbie bandwagon. And when the inevitible happened, the both of us were pretty much close to showing no mercy at Cubs fans (real and Johnny and Jenny-Come-Latelys). Not to mention, I almost ripped a new one into a lot of members of the media for acting like "fans" instead of reporters. I e-mailed a couple of people, and I basically "rubbed it in" for their "kissing so much Cubbie butt, their lips were turning blue." Even our station traffic reporter from Minnesota went to game 7 to hang around outside the bleachers, and she got somewhat caught up in the "hype" of Wrigleyville. She and I had a talk about Cubs fans vs. Sox fans, and I only wish I was there when the Sox won it all last year. I'd like to have seen her reaction to the Sox love going on.

"Cub-dumb" was definitely "punished" for its arrogance for 2003, and I think our team's success only adds to that "punishment". All the hype, folklore, and off-the-field crap associated with that north-side baseball team is crumbling down right before our eyes, and it'll only get better as long as the Sox keep doing that they're doing. The Cubune Company's propaganda machine can only run so long on such garbage.

1951Campbell
05-05-2006, 08:16 PM
The Cubs vibe has just gotten ugly ever since they choked in the 2003 championship series against the Marlins. The players complain about the media. The players complain about the broadcasters. The players complain about the fans.

There is going to be a serious "fan incident" at Wrigley sometime this year, at a Ligue, Dybas, Randy Myers, Artest, Browns-fans-tossing-bottles-at-the-refs-type of level. Book it.

There's just too much alcohol and frustration there to have it any other way. And I can't wait for it to happen so the scales fall from everyone's eyes.