PDA

View Full Version : For those taking the Red Line tonight...

itsnotrequired
05-05-2006, 08:16 AM
FYI, some Red Line trains will be re-routed from the subway to the Loop tracks this weekend.

Northbound Only Reroute
11:00 p.m., Friday, May 5 through 8:00 a.m., Saturday, May 6, 2006
From the Cermak-Chinatown station, northbound Red Line trains will make station stops as follows:
--Roosevelt (accessible) (elevated/Green, Orange lines)
--All stations along Wabash and Lake
--Merchandise Mart (accessible) (Brown Line)
--Chicago (Brown Line) operating express to Fullerton (Red/Brown lines) to resume regular northbound routing to Howard
Keep in mind if you plan on transferring to Blue Line trains downtown. This should only become an issue if the game goes long.

doublem23
05-05-2006, 08:26 AM
That's weird... I didn't even know they could do that. :?:

itsnotrequired
05-05-2006, 08:31 AM
That's weird... I didn't even know they could do that. :?:

There is a junction north of the Cermak-Chinatown stop (Cermak Junction) that includes a set of non-revenue tracks that connect to the South Side Main line (Orange Line).

EDIT: Here's a photo. The Cermak-Chinatown station is near the bottom and you can see the tracks that connect the Red to the Orange.

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/5497/mapchicagodcds2ksrv21388368499.jpg

C-Dawg
05-05-2006, 11:50 AM
There is a junction north of the Cermak-Chinatown stop (Cermak Junction) that includes a set of non-revenue tracks that connect to the South Side Main line (Orange Line).

Wasn't that how the transfer was done some years ago? I swear we used to transfer from Blue to Red somewhere in the Loop, involving a climb up the stairs to the elevated structure (instead of the walk through the tunnel like we do now). Maybe when they built the Orange line they rerouted the red line too.

itsnotrequired
05-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Wasn't that how the transfer was done some years ago? I swear we used to transfer from Blue to Red somewhere in the Loop, involving a climb up the stairs to the elevated structure (instead of the walk through the tunnel like we do now). Maybe when they built the Orange line they rerouted the red line too.

You are correct. The State subway used to emerge from underground and run along what is currently the Green Line tracks on the south side. The Green Line back then used to run down the Dan Ryan. The routing was reconfigured to incorporate the Orange Line.

C-Dawg
05-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Heh heh, good to see I'm not crazy. I had stayed away from the CTA for years, after taking it to New Comiskey a few times years ago. I honestly didn't recognize the route when I started riding again in 2002 or so.

roylestillman
05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
You are correct. The State subway used to emerge from underground and run along what is currently the Green Line tracks on the south side. The Green Line back then used to run down the Dan Ryan. The routing was reconfigured to incorporate the Orange Line.

OK, not really.

The Howard Line (now the north portion of the red line) used to go through the State Street subway and continue on to Englewood/Jackson Park via what is now the southern end of the green line south of 18th. The Dan Ryan came north down the middle of the Ryan and stayed elevated into the loop via Wabash and Lake, then headed west to Oak Park. You used to change from the now Blue LIne to "da Lake, da Dan Ryan trains" at Clark and Lake.

The whole thing was changed to its existing configuration in the mid to late 80's

itsnotrequired
05-05-2006, 02:53 PM
OK, not really.

The Howard Line (now the north portion of the red line) used to go through the State Street subway and continue on to Englewood/Jackson Park via what is now the southern end of the green line south of 18th. The Dan Ryan came north down the middle of the Ryan and stayed elevated into the loop via Wabash and Lake, then headed west to Oak Park. You used to change from the now Blue LIne to "da Lake, da Dan Ryan trains" at Clark and Lake.

The whole thing was changed to its existing configuration in the mid to late 80's

:?:

You described exactly what I said in the first place.

Max Power
05-05-2006, 03:55 PM
OK, not really.

Wow, that takes me back. I remember taking the train down from Evanston with my Dad and walking a few blocks past IIT and the Robert Taylor homes to the old stadium. Nice of the CTA to reconfigure things to chop 2 blocks off the walk.

DumpJerry
05-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Wow, that takes me back. I remember taking the train down from Evanston with my Dad and walking a few blocks past IIT and the Robert Taylor homes to the old stadium. Nice of the CTA to reconfigure things to chop 2 blocks off the walk.
That was Stateway Gardens, Taylor Homes were south of there closer to Garfield (55th Street).