PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Mike in the Morning

Bobbo35
05-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Peter Gammons was on and said (like we don't know this already),"Jose Contreras is hands down the best pitcher in the league." He also said that him coming to Chicago was the best thing for him and that it awakened his career. All three of them were gushing over Contreras and deservedly so. You Da man Jose!!! The way he is pitching and if the Sox bats continue to score runs for him, I can see him easily getting to 20 wins. What do you think?

Steelrod
05-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Usually Gammons is weak, but this time he's RIGHT ON !

ILuvThatDuck
05-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Gammons just got a little smarter in my book.

cbotnyse
05-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Ive always liked Gammons. I feel like he knows his stuff, even with his huge east coast biased.....but he's got in right on on this topic. Jose is the man.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2006, 08:56 AM
I know it's early, but does anyone think he'll be starting the All-Star game? He also has to be the early favorite for the Cy Young....
:supernana:

doublem23
05-05-2006, 09:29 AM
I know it's early, but does anyone think he'll be starting the All-Star game? He also has to be the early favorite for the Cy Young....

Don't worry, the East Coast Hype Machine already has their new boy darling to gush over.

http://gallery.mostvaluablenetwork.com/d/1815-1/JonPapelbonRookieHazingWalkingToBullpen.jpg

hold2dibber
05-05-2006, 09:37 AM
It's really exciting to watch him pitch now. I marvel at how far this guy has come. I give him, Ozzie, Cooper and even El Duque a lot of credit for getting him turned around. What a master stroke of a trade by Williams. Brilliant!

Bobby Thigpen
05-05-2006, 09:40 AM
:boston
"Moving to Chicago was the best thing that could possibly happen to Contreras. But I'm sure that the experience of pitching in a Yankees-Red Sox game took a while to settle in, so really that is probably what has happened. He finally has grasped the importance of these series and it has now made him a better pitcher. Besides after pitching in that kind of series, pitching for the White Sox is like pitching to Little League teams."

Rooney4Prez56
05-05-2006, 09:45 AM
It was a great trade, but we lost a great pitcher in Esteban Loaiza.

batmanZoSo
05-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Not only is he the best pitcher in the league, he's the best pitcher who ever lived. :duel:

Sorry, I just wanted to use the fencers.

Hangar18
05-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Peter Gammons was on and said (like we don't know this already),"Jose Contreras is hands down the best pitcher in the league."

Yup. SOX fans have known this since last season. Too Bad the Chicago Media doesnt have a clue .......... too busy doing injury reports, tracking simulated starts, towel throwing sessions ...........

05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Gammons...the kiss of death

eriqjaffe
05-05-2006, 10:58 AM
It was a great trade, but we lost a great pitcher in Esteban Loaiza.Anybody have a link to that NY Times (or Post, maybe) article where the writer was going on about how the Yanks fleeced the Sox on that trade? "Loaiza is a two-time All Star!"

Juice16
05-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Ive always liked Gammons. I feel like he knows his stuff, even with his huge east coast biased.....but he's got in right on on this topic. Jose is the man.

During the Cubs/Cardinals Sunday Night game earlier in the year, Peter Gammons talkd about Dusty being the second highest paid manager in basbeall and commented that is was deservedly so.

oeo
05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
During the Cubs/Cardinals Sunday Night game earlier in the year, Peter Gammons talkd about Dusty being the second highest paid manager in basbeall and commented that is was deservedly so.

I sure hope the Flubs feel the same way. :D:

cbotnyse
05-05-2006, 11:36 AM

:o: :?:

MadetoOrta
05-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Why do we care so much when the national media give us 5 minutes of coverage? They have no choice. We're the best team in baseball.

woodsdavid
05-05-2006, 12:04 PM
i'm sure you all saw the article on jose and el duque in espn magazine last fall, but it talked about all of the personal issues jose was going through and how el duque helped his confidence.

it painted a picture that el duque was a major key to jose's success, but shortly after the article came out, coop made it real clear that jose was on track. i'm not going to be the only one to bring this up, but the mlb record is 17 in a row.

and i did some projecting based on the rotations and it's possible we might see jose against maddox on 5/20.

joseeeeeeee josejose joseeeeeeee. joseeeeeeee. joseeeeeeeee.
sorry, wrong jose.

woodsdavid
05-05-2006, 12:08 PM

bristol CT being wedged between NY and BOS, sometimes watching/listening to espn is just like watching a local broadcast.

behrman biased as hell too, but i still enjoy listening to him

Hangar18
05-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Take this nugget from a recent nationally televised cubs game (mind you, a certain 4th place team in 2005 has just as many Nationally televised games as the 2005 WS Champion team)

" ......You know, Michael Barret grew up a huge Bears fan"
"Is that right?"
"He sure was, loved Walter Payton, Dan Hampton, Mike Ditka and crew"
"Wow, can you imagine what it was like to have lived in Chicago during that time, the Super Bowl?"
"Oh yeah. That was right in the beginning when Chicago teams started winning. First it was the Cubs in 1984, then the Bears Super Bowl season of 1985. Then the Michael Jordan years from 1986 on ............."
"Oh yeah, whoooo, Michael Jordan. They went on a run didnt they, just dominated with 6 championships"

Never once mentioned the Chicago White Sox of 1983, nor the Chicago White Sox World Series win last season

RealFan
05-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Take this nugget from a recent nationally televised cubs game (mind you, a certain 4th place team in 2005 has just as many Nationally televised games as the 2005 WS Champion team)

" ......You know, Michael Barret grew up a huge Bears fan"
"Is that right?"
"He sure was, loved Walter Payton, Dan Hampton, Mike Ditka and crew"
"Wow, can you imagine what it was like to have lived in Chicago during that time, the Super Bowl?"
"Oh yeah. That was right in the beginning when Chicago teams started winning. First it was the Cubs in 1984, then the Bears Super Bowl season of 1985. Then the Michael Jordan years from 1986 on ............."
"Oh yeah, whoooo, Michael Jordan. They went on a run didnt they, just dominated with 6 championships"

Never once mentioned the Chicago White Sox of 1983, nor the Chicago White Sox World Series win last season

As a 14 year old in 1983, the Sox division run was what converted me from a 75/25 Sox/Cubs fan to 100% Sox. They were the first true "winners" of anything meaningful in my Chicago sports life (I moved here in 1979). I made my decision and I've never looked back since.

I always laugh when people refer to the 84 Cubs as the beginning of a general upward trend in Chicago sports.

Berkules
05-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Usually Gammons is weak, but this time he's RIGHT ON !
As for Gammons being weak, he was the only of the ESPN "experts" to have Japan winning the WBC and one of I think two with the Sox beating the BoSox in the playoffs last year...he's pretty right on.

CLR01
05-05-2006, 01:38 PM
As for Gammons being weak, he was the only of the ESPN "experts" to have Japan winning the WBC and one of I think two with the Sox beating the BoSox in the playoffs last year...he's pretty right on.

So the squirrel found a nut. Big deal. There has been plenty of crap fly out of his mouth over the years.

Steelrod
05-05-2006, 01:38 PM
At the beginning of the season, he had the Sox third and had the Cubs playing in the series. For what its worth. he picked the WSox winning on TV and Bosox winning on radio!

palehozenychicty
05-05-2006, 01:46 PM
At the beginning of the season, he had the Sox third and had the Cubs playing in the series. For what its worth. he picked the WSox winning on TV and Bosox winning on radio!

:boston

"Papelbon will dominate the AL for the next ten years"

rwcescato
05-05-2006, 01:49 PM

What are you talking about. Santana already won it.

Berkules
05-05-2006, 01:50 PM
So he's old and a bit senile... :rolleyes:
Let us have a friendly discussion-

Favorite Baseball Tonight personality:

Kruk? Reynolds? Gammons?

sullythered
05-05-2006, 01:54 PM
So he's old and a bit senile... :rolleyes:

Kruk? Reynolds? Gammons?

Carl Ravech.

And Jeff Brantley is the biggest buffoon on television.

NardiWasHere
05-05-2006, 01:56 PM

Kruk? Reynolds? Gammons?

I enjoy listening to Kruk. He's entertaining. Gammons seems like a good guy. To me, he's real likable and no one can say he isn't knowledgeable (even if you disagree or think he has an east-coast slant).

Harold is the weak link. I think he is decent to watch when he breaks down technique, but as far as commenting on current baseball events, he sounds like an idiot.

Berkules
05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Harold is the weak link. I think he is decent to watch when he breaks down technique, but as far as commenting on current baseball events, he sounds like an idiot.

But Harold always has the best suit...

PicktoCLick72
05-05-2006, 02:02 PM
I know most people on this board don't like Gammons because he does not have something good to say about the Sox every time he talks. Give him a break. He has said plenty of good things about the Sox through his career and there are many ESPN personalities that are much worse than him.

miker
05-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I know most people on this board don't like Gammons because he does not have something good to say about the Sox every time he talks. Give him a break. He has said plenty of good things about the Sox through his career and there are many ESPN personalities that are much worse than him.
That's kind of like an airline boasting that they have the best in flight meals...

getonbckthr
05-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I swear Peter Gammons has always loved the White Sox. I swear he picks us to win the division every year.

palehozenychicty
05-05-2006, 03:42 PM
I swear Peter Gammons has always loved the White Sox. I swear he picks us to win the division every year.

:hawk:

"Your What Hurts?!"

getonbckthr
05-05-2006, 04:22 PM
:hawk:

"Your What Hurts?!"
Uh why? Because I like Gammons and feels that people dislikes him not because of his baseball opinions but instead of the company he works for? I'm still waiting for the anti-Barry Melrose movement.

Chisox003
05-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I swear Peter Gammons has always loved the White Sox. I swear he picks us to win the division every year. Oh ya? Do you swear it? Did he show them love when he said in 2004 that they, along with the Marlins and D-Rays, should be contracted because they don't have enough interest in their own cities?

**** Peter Gammons, ditto for Mike and Mike, double ditto for anyone who associates themselves with that piece of **** corporation.

So they finally take notice after Contreras wins 13 STRAIGHT DECISIONS?! Good for them. Some rare respect for the best team in baseball. I don't expect, nor do I want it to last. It's more fun when they ignore us while we steamroll team after team.

palehozenychicty
05-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Oh ya? Do you swear it? Did he show them love when he said in 2004 that they, along with the Marlins and D-Rays, should be contracted because they don't have enough interest in their own cities?

**** Peter Gammons, ditto for Mike and Mike, double ditto for anyone who associates themselves with that piece of **** corporation.

So they finally take notice after Contreras wins 13 STRAIGHT DECISIONS?! Good for them. Some rare respect for the best team in baseball. I don't expect, nor do I want it to last. It's more fun when they ignore us while we steamroll team after team.

Which is why myself and Hawk said beforehand, "Your what hurts?" btw, gammons is a s*** guitar player as well.

Erik The Red
05-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Anybody have a link to that NY Times (or Post, maybe) article where the writer was going on about how the Yanks fleeced the Sox on that trade? "Loaiza is a two-time All Star!"
Ask, and ye shall receive.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041018212220/http://www.yesnetwork.com/announcers/article.asp?article_id=228

Of course, I had to look it up in the Web Archive because yesnetwork.com no longer has this article in their database. I wonder why that is...

getonbckthr
05-05-2006, 04:39 PM
I never heard anyone say the White Sox should be contracted.

cbotnyse
05-05-2006, 04:45 PM
I never heard anyone say the White Sox should be contracted.

yeah I'd be pretty shocked if anyone has ever said that, let alone someone who the Hall of Fame let in as a sports writer.

Chisox003
05-05-2006, 05:00 PM
yeah I'd be pretty shocked if anyone has ever said that, let alone someone who the Hall of Fame let in as a sports writer.
"I swear it."

I know some folks around here must've heard it. I wasn't on WSI at the time, so I don't know, but I remember it distinctly.

Why would I make that up?

cbotnyse
05-05-2006, 05:15 PM
"I swear it."

I know some folks around here must've heard it. I wasn't on WSI at the time, so I don't know, but I remember it distinctly.

Why would I make that up?

I dont think youd make that up, but man I would be floored if he said something so unbelievebly stupid. The Marlins, D-Backs, sure, I can easily see that. But the Sox have been around for over 100 years, there is obvious interest there. wow :o: :o: :o:

kwa
05-05-2006, 06:38 PM
"White Sox should be contracted"

I remember hearing that too. I live in New York so I hear a lot more of crap like that.

MrRoboto83
05-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Jose is the best pitcher in the league and we have signed for another 3 years!!!:bandance:

1951Campbell
05-05-2006, 08:34 PM

As a former Boston resident and Globe reader, it's pretty easy to sniff out his schitck. He mentions about 1,000 trade rumors during a season and hopes you only remember the 5 that pan out.