PDA

View Full Version : New sox marketing

irish rover
01-29-2002, 09:25 AM
A friend on another board fond this in the Cubune

Jim Kirk

White Sox get ready to play with new slogan

Published January 29, 2002

The White Sox may be poised to make another pennant run this year, but don't expect the team's
ad campaign to breathe a word of it.

That's because the team learned the hard way last year what happens when you overpromise in
advertising.

Coming off its surprising playoff season of 2000, the Sox last winter launched a new campaign
with the tagline: "It's time." We know what the line was referring to, and we know what
happened last year. The Sox had a disappointing start, and management pulled the "It's time"
theme early in the season. Could there have been an advertising jinx?

The Sox decided to take the safer route in a campaign set to debut Sunday. In a message focused
on players and telling fans there is more than just baseball at the park, the campaign carries the
tagline: "Come ready to play."

The new creative, from White Sox agency Hoffman York & Reilly, will again feature
conversations with manager Jerry Manuel about the readiness of his young ballclub. The ads also
will focus on attractions at the park, including the Kids Days, and an upcoming White Sox
Charities Sleepover.

The first ads, as in years past, will promote ticket sales. "We'll still keep our players center
stage. That's our product," said Rob Gallas, White Sox senior vice president of marketing and
broadcasting. "But we'll create more of a backdrop to that stage, showing all the fun at the
ballpark."

Getting fans to consistently come out to the ballpark has been anything but easy over the past
several years. With few exceptions--Wrigley Field being one--most major-league teams are still
struggling to fully recover from the 1994 work stoppage that killed the World Series that season.

The White Sox front office continues to pull out the stops, including being one of the most
aggressive ticket discounters in the league. So far, the brass has held the line on ticket prices,
while the North Siders, which have not had trouble filling Wrigley, announced an increase in
prices for this season.

The Sox will be more aggressive in promoting tailgating before games, including adding two
major pregame tents with live entertainment in two parking lots this summer.

It is also expanding its Pepsi-sponsored discount ticket program.

Besides Manuel, the campaign will feature players and fans, and will run on billboards, radio,
TV and in print.

dougs78
01-29-2002, 09:38 AM
It is also expanding its Pepsi-sponsored discount ticket program

I'm anxious to see what they have in mind here. I really liked those "pessi, halfa priss tuesays" discounts since they were sort of unknown relative to mondays. Sort of backwards logic when looking at the big picture, but in a way I sort of like going to games when its not terribly crowded and easy to get front row bleacher seats...espeically for half price.

Kilroy
01-29-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by dougs78

I'm anxious to see what they have in mind here. I really liked those "pessi, halfa priss tuesays" discounts since they were sort of unknown relative to mondays. Sort of backwards logic when looking at the big picture, but in a way I sort of like going to games when its not terribly crowded and easy to get front row bleacher seats...espeically for half price.

As a season ticket holder, I have been spoiled by the low attendance. Easy in and easy out, no waiting for eats/drinks, and sit just about anywhere my heart desires. Those sellout crowds are an inconveniece to me. Of course, I can suffer thru them for the greater good of the team. Always willing to do my part!!! :smile:

irish rover
01-29-2002, 09:58 AM
a cub friend of mine who thinks all that attendance thing is stupid that cub fans spew, said lower attendance is a blessing in disguise. He said atleast we can get good tickets on the day of game and other bonuses as you mentioned. Like you though I can take a few for the team too

Interesting about the new marketing

"Come ready to play" and a sleepover, could get interesting

Soxboyrob
01-29-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by irish rover
Interesting about the new marketing

"Come ready to play" and a sleepover, could get interesting

Maybe this slogan is a play on the fact that the players get injured so often, that the fans ought to come ready to play. Hey fans, come ready to play. Bring your glove. Wear your cleats. Maybe Buerle will tear a labrum and we'll call on YOU!

irish rover
01-29-2002, 10:49 AM
another article on it, looks like there is going to be a whiffle bat day

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020129_marketi ng_news&team_id=cws

cheeses_h_rice
01-29-2002, 10:58 AM
"Come ready to play." Yeah, that's not too lame.

I have some alternate selections for this year instead...

"Come to Comiskey: It Doesn't Reek of Urine."

"Watch all the White Sox action...before the muscles tear and the labrums fray."

"Manos, Walnuts, Buddy Lee, the Fire Hydrant, and Slow-Swing: 5 guys who should be household names but aren't."

"White Sox Baseball: Where winning is everything (unlike some other ballclubs)."

voodoochile
01-29-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

Maybe this slogan is a play on the fact that the players get injured so often, that the fans ought to come ready to play. Hey fans, come ready to play. Bring your glove. Wear your cleats. Maybe ***** will tear a labrum and we'll call on YOU!

AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! Bite your tounge. What are you crazy? Don't type stuff like that. Whatever you do for pennance, do it...

Yeesh... gives me the willys...

Beyond that I think it is a cool slogan. Nice job mixing the meanings of "play = have a good time" with "ready to play" = "focused and driven".

Got to get attendance closer to 30K/game if we are going to be serious competitors in years to come. This 20K stuff stinks...

voodoochile
01-29-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by irish rover
another article on it, looks like there is going to be a whiffle bat day

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020129_marketi ng_news&team_id=cws

They're having Royce Clayton bat day?

:D:

duke of dorwood
01-29-2002, 12:04 PM
:walk

How about White Sox gas can day?

nut_stock
01-29-2002, 02:28 PM
If the sox would ever take my old idea of building a Hooters in the rightfield UD, they could have a slogan of,

"Come earn your wings!"

Foulke You
01-29-2002, 02:58 PM
I'm still partial to having bat day on one of the games vs. the Cubs. Think of the possibilities...the mad swinging...the ensuing riot...

voodoochile
01-29-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I'm still partial to having bat day on one of the games vs. the Cubs. Think of the possibilities...the mad swinging...the ensuing riot...

oooooo I like it... SS V NS...

Can't you see the yuppies running in fear as the SS working class take out their frustrations on the floppy hatted masses...

Even the flubby fans would be rooting for a WS winner and actually paying attention to the game...

Fisk Fan
01-29-2002, 03:33 PM
I see piles of bodies with blood and pi$$ everywhere. The fresh shoe prints on every Cubbie blue item in the stadium. Mayhem! Count me in!