PDA

View Full Version : Watching Rowand with the Phillies

Frater Perdurabo
05-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Between paying bills and waiting for Commander in Chief to come on at 9 p.m. CDT, I've been watching bits and pieces of the Braves-Phillies game on TBS. Anway, seeing Aaron Rowand reminded me of so many good times last year (I particularly remember his game-winning homer in San Diego) and simultaneously demonstrated to me how much better Brian Anderson is defensively.

In the bottom of one inning, Rowand grounded out sharply to the third baseman. Then, in the top of the next inning, Rowand mis-played a looping liner that bounced right past him, all the way to the wall, and allowed the batter to reach third base with no outs. Somehow, the Phillies got out of that jam without giving up a run. If Rowand had better instincts and took better angles, he would have been playing closer to the infield and would not have had to dive to try to catch the ball. I'm not saying Anderson would have had it, but Anderson probably would not have had to dive to try to catch it because he would not have been playing as deep as Rowand does.

I'll always hold a warm spot in my heart for every member of the 2005 World Champs. But I also know an upgrade when I see it.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Between paying bills and waiting for Commander in Chief to come on at 9 p.m. CDT, I've been watching bits and pieces of the Braves-Phillies game on TBS. Anway, seeing Aaron Rowand reminded me of so many good times last year (I particularly remember his game-winning homer in San Diego) and simultaneously demonstrated to me how much better Brian Anderson is defensively.

In the bottom of one inning, Rowand grounded out sharply to the third baseman. Then, in the top of the next inning, Rowand mis-played a looping liner that bounced right past him, all the way to the wall, and allowed the batter to reach third base with no outs. Somehow, the Phillies got out of that jam without giving up a run. If Rowand had better instincts and took better angles, he would have been playing closer to the infield and would not have had to dive to try to catch the ball. I'm not saying Anderson would have had it, but Anderson probably would not have had to dive to try to catch it because he would not have been playing as deep as Rowand does.

I'll always hold a warm spot in my heart for every member of the 2005 World Champs. But I also know an upgrade when I see it.
This is also the guy that hit the go-ahead runs in the last two games. Two run homer yesterday and a three run triple two days ago.

patbooyah
05-04-2006, 10:50 PM
i love aaron, but if you watch the sox pride DVD and watch aaron and BA when pods hits his walk-off homerun. anderson can tell off the bat that it is a homer and aaron can't. i think that's emblematic of the major defensive difference between the two, BA's ability to read the ball off the bat.

gf2020
05-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Between paying bills and waiting for Commander in Chief

You'll be waiting for quite some time as the show has been canned.

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2006, 07:51 AM
You'll be waiting for quite some time as the show has been canned.
Yeah, it was pre-empted by some stupid Diane Sawyer interview special last night, and I did hear the cancellation news.
:(::angry::puking:

Pat makes a great point about reading the ball off the bat with Pods' homer as well.

Konerkoholic
05-05-2006, 10:06 AM
i love aaron, but if you watch the sox pride DVD and watch aaron and BA when pods hits his walk-off homerun. anderson can tell off the bat that it is a homer and aaron can't. i think that's emblematic of the major defensive difference between the two, BA's ability to read the ball off the bat.

Interesting point. The way I interpreted that is, maybe Aaron's a bit more of a pessimist that Anderson. It could've been that he didn't want to get his hopes too high. After all, it was Soctty who hit it.

But what I really want to say is, I don't understand the point of this thread. It seems like every week I'm reading a post or a thread about how Rowand took bad routes or had bad reads off the bat during his time here. Are we trying to justify the Thome trade? We all know it was a good trade. Just let Aaron play for the Phillies, root for him to do well, and leave out the little jabs.

Garland_IS_God
05-05-2006, 10:21 AM

Thats a great call. I agree 100%.

Randar68
05-05-2006, 11:18 AM

When that happenned I said it on this board and 2 friends... half in jest, but I believe there is some validity to it...

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2006, 10:52 PM
But what I really want to say is, I don't understand the point of this thread. It seems like every week I'm reading a post or a thread about how Rowand took bad routes or had bad reads off the bat during his time here. Are we trying to justify the Thome trade? We all know it was a good trade. Just let Aaron play for the Phillies, root for him to do well, and leave out the little jabs.

The "jabs," which really are defenses of Brian Anderson, will cease as soon as the anti-Anderson threads stop.

I want Rowand to do well. Still, I know that the better defensive CF plays for the White Sox, not the Phillies.

TornLabrum
05-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah, it was pre-empted by some stupid Diane Sawyer interview special last night, and I did hear the cancellation news.
:(::angry::puking:

Pat makes a great point about reading the ball off the bat with Pods' homer as well.

I think they're going to play the rest of the shows in June. ABC didn't want to play them during sweeps month.