PDA

View Full Version : Guardado removed from closer's role

SouthSide_HitMen
05-04-2006, 06:40 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060504&content_id=1437082&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I'm giving you a longing look
Everyday, everyday, everyday I write the book.

1951Campbell
05-04-2006, 07:27 PM
From "Everyday Eddie" to "Garbage-Time Guardado."

Vernam
05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Nice lesson from Hargrove in how not to build up a guy's confidence. And they say Ozzie throws guys under the bus?

"With guys like Eddie, you take it a little longer than someone else. But there comes a time it's really not accomplishing anything. I think we reached that point last night."

Translation: "He used to be so good, it took us a long time to realilze that he totally sucks now."

Maybe they could trade him to the Twins so we can see him more often . . .

Vernam

NonetheLoaiza
05-04-2006, 07:34 PM
The other night when Guardado came in, I honestly thought to myself...the Sox have a chance to tie this game.

EndemicSox
05-04-2006, 07:52 PM
He has given up three two-out ninth inning homers this season. Stick a fork in Everday Eddie. I believe JJ Putz will get most of the save opportunities from now on, although Soriano has the look of a closer as well.

lumpyspun
05-04-2006, 09:11 PM
He has given up three two-out ninth inning homers this season. Stick a fork in Everday Eddie. I believe JJ Putz will get most of the save opportunities from now on, although Soriano has the look of a closer as well.

I think I would go with Soriano if I were them, just b/c Putz had the closer role once and he blew it (a few times). He seems to be much better now, but Soriano is good.

Foulke You
05-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Guardado was lights out with the Twins a few years ago. Yet another former Twins reliever like Latroy Hawkins who left for greener pastures only to struggle with a new team. The Mariners spent a ton of dough on Guardado too.

If you'll recall, KW was sniffing around for a Guardado trade when his push for Wagner failed. What is that they say about the deals you don't make?:D:

goofymsfan
05-05-2006, 07:51 AM
I think I would go with Soriano if I were them, just b/c Putz had the closer role once and he blew it (a few times). He seems to be much better now, but Soriano is good.

JJ actually did quite well in the closer role last year when Eddie was injured. Either JJ or Soriano will do fine in the closer role. Eddie should have been removed from the closer role sooner than he was. Oh well, better late then never.

IlliniSox
05-08-2006, 12:25 PM
JJ actually did quite well in the closer role last year when Eddie was injured. Either JJ or Soriano will do fine in the closer role. Eddie should have been removed from the closer role sooner than he was. Oh well, better late then never.

I've heard 'injury prone' attached to Soriano recently. Is that just because he had arm surgury, or has he had multiple DL stints?

goofymsfan
05-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I've heard 'injury prone' attached to Soriano recently. Is that just because he had arm surgury, or has he had multiple DL stints?

He's only had the one arm surgury. I wouldn't call him "injury prone." His biggest problem is his control. It's one thing to be able to throw 97-98 mph, it's another to be able to throw it for strikes. He does get a bunch of K's, but he throws a bunch of pitches to get those K's. It's hard to see it in the stats, but I have the perspective of watching him in person. A lot of M's fans would like to see him and do see him as the eventual closer. I see him as more of a set up man, at least for now.