PDA

View Full Version : gooch an all-star?

hawkjt
05-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I was wracking my brain to think of a better second baseman in the AL and I just think it has got to be Tadahito.

Who else? Who was the starter last year?

Cano of the yanks?
Roberts of Baltimore was probably the guy but he is off the map now.

Kennedy of the angels is clutch but his numbers are not that great.
Soriano is out of the league.

I must be missing someone but it seems like a pretty weak group of second basemen in the AL to me.

I am not saying gooch will get voted in- but maybe with the japanese vote he has a chance.

But as far as who deserves it- I go with our guy if he keeps this kind of play up. Long way to go , I know.

DeadMoney
05-04-2006, 05:29 PM
He's up against:
Belliard, CLE
Cano, NYY
Cantu, TB
Castillo, MIN
Ellis, OAK
Grudzielanek, KC
Hill, TOR
Kennedy, LAA
Kinsler, TEX
Lopex, SEA
Loretta, BOS
Polanco, DET
Roberts, BAL

It will probably be Roberts and Cano as the only second baseman they take.

rwcescato
05-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I was wracking my brain to think of a better second baseman in the AL and I just think it has got to be Tadahito.

Who else? Who was the starter last year?

Cano of the yanks?
Roberts of Baltimore was probably the guy but he is off the map now.

Kennedy of the angels is clutch but his numbers are not that great.
Soriano is out of the league.

I must be missing someone but it seems like a pretty weak group of second basemen in the AL to me.

I am not saying gooch will get voted in- but maybe with the japanese vote he has a chance.

But as far as who deserves it- I go with our guy if he keeps this kind of play up. Long way to go , I know.

You know who will get voted in, the Yankee who else. Oh thats right, the Red Sox player.

GregoryEtc
05-04-2006, 05:32 PM
His main competition seems to be:

Jose Lopez (SEA) - 4 HR, 20 RBI, .288
Brian Roberts (BAL) - 9 SB, .330
Luis Castillo (MIN) - .363

But Cano (.329) and Kennedy (.317) will get a lot of votes.

ondafarm
05-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I hope your Gooch hurts!! Notice the broadcasters (except for the Comcast idiots) have stopped using that name.

Tekijawa
05-04-2006, 05:41 PM
He's up against:
It will probably be Roberts and Cano as the only second baseman they take.

I believe Ozzie picks the back ups... dosen't he... after all we did win the World Series Last year and he will be the All Star Manager... I think a few Sox "tweeners" Might squeeze on to the roster...

ilsox7
05-04-2006, 05:42 PM
I believe Ozzie picks the back ups... dosen't he... after all we did win the World Series Last year and he will be the All Star Manager... I think a few Sox "tweeners" Might squeeze on to the roster...

No, he doesn't.

ChiSoxLifer
05-04-2006, 05:42 PM
His main competition seems to be:

Jose Lopez (SEA) - 4 HR, 20 RBI, .288
Brian Roberts (BAL) - 9 SB, .330
Luis Castillo (MIN) - .363

But Cano (.329) and Kennedy (.317) will get a lot of votes.

As you know, the All-Star game is a popularity contest. It's not always the player who's most deserving. Most likely it's Cano and Kennedy. Hopefully, White Sox fans will stuff the ballot the way Chicagoans know how.

Tekijawa
05-04-2006, 05:43 PM
No, he doesn't.

When did that change? Was it after Torre picked about 11 yankees to the squad one year?

ilsox7
05-04-2006, 05:44 PM
When did that change? Was it after Torre picked about 11 yankees to the squad one year?

That was a deciding factor. I believe last year was the first year the current system was put into place. The game "meaning something" also played a role in the change.

fquaye149
05-04-2006, 05:45 PM
I hope your Gooch hurts!! Notice the broadcasters (except for the Comcast idiots) have stopped using that name.

give it a ****ing rest

daveeym
05-04-2006, 05:46 PM
I hope your Gooch hurts!! Notice the broadcasters (except for the Comcast idiots) have stopped using that name. I think it's time all nicknames, pictures, comics and smileys should be banned. :gulp: :dtroll: :angry: :redneck :o: I'm offended by all of the alcohol promoting, physically challenged, devil worshipping, redneck calling, sexual innuendo smileys. Man this board must be bored with nothing bad to really talk about with the Sox.

ondafarm
05-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I think it's time all nicknames, pictures, comics and smileys should be banned. :gulp: :dtroll: :angry: :redneck :o: I'm offended by all of the alcohol promoting, physically challenged, devil worshipping, redneck calling, sexual innuendo smileys. Man this board must be bored with nothing bad to really talk about with the Sox.

Even my favorite smiley? :puking:

daveeym
05-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Even my favorite smiley? :puking:Bulimics are people too.:whiner:

ondafarm
05-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Bulimics are people too.:whiner:

My favorite was utilized against me when I suggested the White Sox should acquire a fried octopus stand from the Yakult Swallows.

batmanZoSo
05-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Voted yesterday and gave one for Iguchi. I doubt he has a real chance of making it though. And my write in was The Dad from the Wonder Years.

TheOldRoman
05-04-2006, 08:28 PM
The starting 2B SHOULD be Placido Polanco. He is a hell of a hitter.
If two secondbasemen are taken, Iguchi should go.

Cano is garbage who benefits from being in the middle of the Yankees' lineup, and is overhyped. He should never be an allstar, but alas, he will probably start the game.:angry: Lopez has no chance, Castillo is done, and the Angels fans aren't known to stuff the ballot boxes. And really, does anyone consider Adam Kennedy an allstar caliber player? He is a good player, but he shouldn't be an allstar unless he is the only player representing a horrible team.

SOX ADDICT '73
05-04-2006, 10:11 PM
give it a ****ing rest
What percentage of ondafarm's 3,000 posts have been telling us all what "gooch" really means?

ondafarm
05-04-2006, 10:16 PM
What percentage of ondafarm's 3,000 posts have been telling us all what "gooch" really means?

That's 3,003 posts!! Counting this one.

FedEx227
05-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Castillo is done

You do know hes batting .363 with a .427 OBP right?

0o0o0
05-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Voted yesterday and gave one for Iguchi. I doubt he has a real chance of making it though. And my write in was The Dad from the Wonder Years.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_123041.jpg

"The nerve of some people"

Mr. White Sox
05-05-2006, 12:51 AM
The starting 2B SHOULD be Placido Polanco. He is a hell of a hitter.
If two secondbasemen are taken, Iguchi should go.

Cano is garbage who benefits from being in the middle of the Yankees' lineup, and is overhyped. He should never be an allstar, but alas, he will probably start the game.:angry: Lopez has no chance, Castillo is done, and the Angels fans aren't known to stuff the ballot boxes. And really, does anyone consider Adam Kennedy an allstar caliber player? He is a good player, but he shouldn't be an allstar unless he is the only player representing a horrible team.

You think Placebo Polenta should go?! He's nothing special defensively (although that behind-the-back was sweet), he doesn't have a HR (well, Pods didn't either!), and he has a .284 average (wait, he's only K'd 4 times all year? Cool!) I guess I just contradicted myself there...though I don't see him as an All-Star caliber player, he certainly plays the game the right way.

Once Loretta has a 4/4 day with 2 HR and 5 RBI the Boston votes will come in droves.

fquaye149
05-05-2006, 01:13 AM

0%. They're all the following:

IF you knew what GOOCH really means, you'd cut out your tongue and feed it to a squid for ever uttering a word that contained the letter "G" "O" "C" or "H"

JohnBasedowYoda
05-05-2006, 02:02 AM
I vote yes. I love Tadahito and he can do no wrong.

Baby Fisk
05-05-2006, 09:26 AM
He keeps implying that it means something nasty in Japanese, but I don't think he's ever told us. Unless I missed the explanation in one of those 3,000 Gooch-hurting posts. :dunno:

ondafarm, perhaps you could use some clever word associations or something to explain?

hold2dibber
05-05-2006, 09:46 AM
No, he doesn't.

I believe he does pick the last couple guys. My recollection is the fans elect the starters, the players elect back-ups (?) and then there's about 7 or 8 roster spots for the manager to fill in. However, usually at least half of those choices are limited because he has to make sure there's a rep from every team. So under the current system, the manager usually ends up with discretion over only a handful (e.g., 3 or 4) roster spots.

With that said, you can make a pretty compelling All-Star argument for all of the following:

Contreras
Buehrle
Jenks
Thome
Konerko
Crede
Iguchi
Dye
Pierzynski

batmanZoSo
05-05-2006, 09:46 AM
He keeps implying that it means something nasty in Japanese, but I don't think he's ever told us. Unless I missed the explanation in one of those 3,000 Gooch-hurting posts. :dunno:

ondafarm, perhaps you could use some clever word associations or something to explain?

If you knew what the equivalent of "I" symbolized in ancient Sanskrit, you'd think twice before ever using it again.

05-05-2006, 10:35 AM
That was a deciding factor. I believe last year was the first year the current system was put into place. The game "meaning something" also played a role in the change.

This is the first I heard of this..I know Francona picked a ton of Red Sox last year...I know Ozzie can pick the coaching staff....Hey my 500th post!

IlliniSox
06-21-2006, 10:23 AM
ESPN Daily Quickie said this morning that Tadahito is gaining on Cano in the voting, 126K behind. Get out and vote.

rdwj
06-21-2006, 10:26 AM

Notice the crowd chants it whenever he does something good?