PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/4/06

Hangar18
05-04-2006, 09:24 AM
The SOX despite a dramatic win last nite, continue to lose ground to a team that quite frankly, doesnt deserve ANY attention. Cub PR guru Carol Slezak does yet another cubfluff piece on Jacque Jones. The White Sox are off to a very nice start so far, but you wouldnt really know it in this town ....
Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, being only the 5th team in MLB history to lead wire-to-wire, the White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves being ignored by the Chicago Media and lagging far behind in media coverage
to a team that has, since 1950, had only THREE 90-win seasons.
Embarrassing the journalism in this town.

Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Thursday May 4th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 345
Underdgo, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 303

Dan Mega
05-04-2006, 09:31 AM
I heard on the radio this morning about Slezak's fluff piece on Jacque Jones. They were wondering if the editors of the newspaper realize that he is not a good player. When was the last time we saw a 2 page article on Ross Gload?

Hangar18
05-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Best part of the media today? Cubs Asst GM and SunTimes "writer" Mike Kiley shoots down a "report" that the Cubs were interested in Arizonas Tony Clark to play first, when he was the Schmuck who first TAMPERED with Clarks name in the first place. JACKASS. There are conflicting reports (from the Cubune also) that say the Cubs have indeed contacted the DBacks in the last couple of days (nice tip Kiley) asking about Clark, but the price was very un-Pirate like and the DBacks would actually like some good players in return, turning the Cubs off on a trade.

Kiley however has begun lobbying for the Cubs to make a move with the Orioles to start the Jeff Conine talks, quoting him as saying the fans are great, with Kiley finishing with "....sounds like hes willing if a trade can be worked out". If there was only a Commissioner ...................

SOecks
05-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Hangar, what were the articles about though? Were the Sox articles positive about the great win and Cub about doom and gloom after that terrible game?

Hangar18
05-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Hangar, what were the articles about though? Were the Sox articles positive about the great win and Cub about doom and gloom after that terrible game?

Sox articles were the bare minimum, lets-just-report-the-story, no-frills while the flubby articles are gnashing of teeth, woe-is-us, what-can-we-do-to-help-them, who-is-available, this-is-an-injustice, with gratuitious statements about how great their fans are. Newsflash to the media.
The SOX are still in 1st Place.

SOXPHILE
05-04-2006, 10:00 AM
The Trib I saw is a 3-3 tie Sox/Cubs stories. Still, the Sox should get more, considering the blue dopes were a late night loss, and the Sox had that dramatic extra inning W.

There is a subject that I expect will be getting the Cubs more press in the coming days, and I don't mind it a bit. Johnny Baker's asinine comment about the reason they hit so poorly against lefties is due to the fact that "they can't find a left handed batting practice pitcher". The Score is running with this, and is having some sort of open tryouts promotion for someone to get that job. If this happens, I expect it to be covered by all the T.V. networks, thus, further exposing Baker and the TribCo. Team for the fools they are, and really putting the Cubs in a bad light.

DMarte708
05-04-2006, 10:41 AM
There are conflicting reports (from the Cubune also) that say the Cubs have indeed contacted the DBacks in the last couple of days (nice tip Kiley) asking about Clark, but the price was very un-Pirate like and the DBacks would actually like some good players in return, turning the Cubs off on a trade.
:rolling:

It's amazing in it's own right that Conine commented on the Cubs when the Orioles are one month into the season.

I've said it before, Hendry doesn't know how to make an honest trade. Considering the position they're in with Lee out, I expect someone to take the Cubs for all their worth.

If I see a trade occur, even if it it's for Jeff Conine, and Pie, Guzman, or Hill aren't involved I'm going to snap.

DMarte708
05-04-2006, 10:44 AM
And that Jones article for anyone who didn't read it is how he grew up "gang- banging" in San Diego, and how his mother set him right.

Not that I'd question whether gang existed there when he grew up, but it sounds funny for someone to suggest they grew up in the tough streets of San Diego. Similar to Torii Hunter telling us about the troubles of Arkansas.

skottyj242
05-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Underdgo, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 303

Isn't that what happened when you were a kid playing football and there was a close call or something....wasn't it always DGO?

ChiSoxLifer
05-04-2006, 01:00 PM
And that Jones article for anyone who didn't read it is how he grew up "gang- banging" in San Diego, and how his mother set him right.

Not that I'd question whether gang existed there when he grew up, but it sounds funny for someone to suggest they grew up in the tough streets of San Diego. Similar to Torii Hunter telling us about the troubles of Arkansas.

I've spent lots of time in San Diego and the gangs are well represented.

MadetoOrta
05-04-2006, 01:43 PM
I typically browse the papers online. Today, waiting for my car to get fixed I opened the suntime to find a 2-page article on Jacque %#&@ Jones. Gimme a break. Hangar, keep the pressure on.

Let me ask this: Jermaine Dye is the first World Series MVP from a Chicago baseball team in 88 years, has there been even a 1-page article about him?

Craig Grebeck
05-04-2006, 02:38 PM
yes! keep the pressure on! buying their newspaper will only teach them to change their ways!

palehozenychicty
05-04-2006, 03:01 PM
yes! keep the pressure on! buying their newspaper will only teach them to change their ways!

:?: uh....

pdimas
05-04-2006, 03:05 PM

What you've never seen "Bangin' in Little Rock"? :smile:

Risk
05-04-2006, 03:36 PM

Yeah, it's somewhat similar to "Bangin' in Des Moines," and "Bangin' in Omaha.":smile:

Risk

gbergman
05-04-2006, 03:38 PM

I live in San Diego, you should come here and ill take you to some varrio san marcos, mexican mafia, ss hammerskin, insanecrip gang hangouts to name a few and then you can tell them how they are ******* cause they are from san diego. trust me on this i wont be with you after i drop you off

SOXPHILE
05-04-2006, 03:39 PM

It wasn't even Little Rock. It was Pine Bluff. He's from the hood playa' !

Dick Allen
05-04-2006, 05:53 PM
The SOX despite a dramatic win last nite, continue to lose ground to a team that quite frankly, doesnt deserve ANY attention. Cub PR guru Carol Slezak does yet another cubfluff piece on Jacque Jones. The White Sox are off to a very nice start so far, but you wouldnt really know it in this town ....
Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, being only the 5th team in MLB history to lead wire-to-wire, the White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves being ignored by the Chicago Media and lagging far behind in media coverage
to a team that has, since 1950, had only THREE 90-win seasons.
Embarrassing the journalism in this town.

Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Thursday May 4th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 345
Underdgo, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 2005 SOX 303I e-mailed Slezak a couple of weeks ago about a fluff piece on Michael Barrett, basically accusing her of being a Cub PR stooge. She e-mailed me back, saying she is NOT a Cub fan, and that this kind of garbage is what the editors are assigning her to. I told her she should get those people to give her better assignments, which she said she could only hope. She was actually very nice, and I apologized to her for the accusations. Still not saying I'm a fan of hers.

santo=dorf
05-04-2006, 06:11 PM
It's only going to get worse. Prior has food poisoning now. (http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-csep04.html)

Pitchers Kerry Wood and Wade Miller were with their teammates Wednesday in the Cubs' clubhouse at Chase Field, but Mark Prior was missing and no gear was in his empty locker. He is dealing with a physical setback that has nothing to do with his right shoulder rehab.

Pitching coach Larry Rothschild said Prior is battling food poisoning that he picked up here in Arizona. Rothschild added that Prior will resume his throwing program once he is able, but no one can be certain right now when that might be and how long it will take him to feel at full strength again.

How long until the Cubune blames a Sox fan?

1951Campbell
05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I e-mailed Slezak a couple of weeks ago about a fluff piece on Michael Barrett, basically accusing her of being a Cub PR stooge. She e-mailed me back, saying she is NOT a Cub fan, and that this kind of garbage is what the editors are assigning her to. I told her she should get those people to give her better assignments, which she said she could only hope. She was actually very nice, and I apologized to her for the accusations. Still not saying I'm a fan of hers.

"Could only hope"? Wow. Don't know if I email a member of the public I don't really know that my boss gives me crappy assignments.