PDA

View Full Version : My test for booing a former player

32nd&Wallace
05-04-2006, 09:11 AM
With the Thome and Everett situations, I got to thinking about when it is and is not appropriate to boo a former player. So, I propose my three-part test.

1 - Did the player leave for more money?
2 - Did the player get the contract he initially wanted?
3 - After getting the contract he wanted, did the player badmouth the organization.

I think two and three go in tandem. For example, I think when you get the money you wanted and continue to badmouth the organization it says a lot about the player as a person. Magglio is a perfect example. Depsite all the injury problems he had and all the specualtion with the knee surgery, the Tigers gave him the deal he was gunning for. Yet, he still found time after signing the deal to trash his Sox - even saying he thought they were going to be bad in 2005.
J. Damon is another example. The Red Sox offered him a fair deal (more than he was worth), but the Yanks overpaid. Damon has said repeatedly after he signed the deal that he was disrespected and the Red Sox didn't want him and the Yankees got the best centerfielder in the game. Therefore, despite helping the Red Sox win the WS, I can understand why Red Sox fans would boo him (also taking into account he is a Yankee and said he would never play for the Yankees)

Frank and Carl are different. Frank was the face of the franchise for 14 years and Carl helped win a WS. Frank didn't want to leave and something tells Carl didn't want to either. So I think you can excuse their after-Sox comments as bitterness and hurt feelings. They also are making less than they were on the Sox and are on inferior teams.

Chez
05-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I've never understood why fans get upset if a player chooses to leave because he can get more money someplace else. People change employers all the time for more money. Badmouthing your former team is another issue; but leaving for a better deal is something must of us in the workplace have done ourselves.