PDA

View Full Version : Possible reason why Sox haven't worn 1906 throwback jerseys yet

TheOldRoman
05-04-2006, 03:47 AM
As we all know, the Sox were supposed to wear the 1906 throwback jerseys for every Sunday home game. They have yet to wear them.
I talked to one of the workers at Grandstand, and he was clueless, too. He thought they would wear them from the first Sunday on, but guess that they might be waiting until the Sunday game against the Cubs.

I believe there is a problem with the uniforms. The jerseys are cream colored, to mimic the wool of the jerseys back then. I have seen the jerseys in the stores, and I can confirm that it is a very distinctive cream color. Even from a distance, it doesn't look white.

The authentic hats, on the other hand, are pure white. I was baffled when I saw this, because I didn't think New Era could make a white hat with the materials they use. Even back in 2001 when the Sox wore the 1917 throwbacks, the hats were a very light cream, but the jerseys were white. The 1906 throwback hat is a VERY bright white, and it doesn't go with the jersey at all.
You can sorta tell from the links, but even they don't show the true color difference
hat (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2156617&cp=1452347.1452702)
jersey (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2184299&cp=1452347.1452701.709745&parentPage=family)

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone believe that the Sox have delayed the jerseys because they are reordering new hats?

IlliniSox4Life
05-04-2006, 05:01 AM
Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone believe that the Sox have delayed the jerseys because they are reordering new hats?

I hadn't noticed it. It seems possible, but I think that if a major league baseball team called new era and said the hats were wrong, they could get them new ones within a couple of days. Then again, that's just an assumption on my part. It could be any number of things, including needing different hats, but I would have to bet that they want to wait and wear them first against the Cubs.

Hangar18
05-04-2006, 09:33 AM
I think the fact they are hideous and resemble a cub uniform, are big reasons the SOX players arent in a hurry to wear them :cool:

batmanZoSo
05-04-2006, 09:40 AM
There's a reason we've been through dozens of different uniform schemes--they all sucked. We finally got it right. Can we just stick with what we have?

jenn2080
05-04-2006, 09:44 AM
I think the fact they are hideous and resemble a cub uniform, are big reasons the SOX players arent in a hurry to wear them :cool:

Im pretty positive that is exactly what is going through their minds.

ewokpelts
05-04-2006, 10:09 AM
I think the reason is that they're launching the throwback uniform during the cub series.

What better way to honro 1906 and 2005 than in front of the cubs?

Max Power
05-04-2006, 11:41 AM
A guy behind me last night was wearing the 1906 jersey. I thought it was pretty nice, especially the font for the number on the back (although they didn't have numbers in 1906). The cream color is quite striking, but not in a bad way. It just makes it more obvious that it is a retro jersey.
I will say that a lot of people are not going to recognize the jersey as a Sox jersey. The "C" in any form is not associated with the Sox. People accuse me of wearing a Cubs hat when I'm wearing the curly C hat from the 80's. If people don't know the Sox wore a C hat from the 80's then why would they know a C jersey from 100 years ago?
I think it's cool and totally appropriate to wear the 1906 jerseys this season. For future throwbacks I'd like to see more of the 1917 logo (not the World Series one, just the regular one). That logo is all White Sox.

LongLiveFisk
05-04-2006, 11:47 AM
There's a reason we've been through dozens of different uniform schemes--they all sucked. We finally got it right. Can we just stick with what we have?

Although I agree with you 100%, I don't mind seeing an occasional throwback uniform day. 1906 unis would be pretty funny looking I would think, especially if they do the baggy-pants thing. :D:

CaptainBallz
05-04-2006, 12:04 PM
I think it's ridiculous that some people feel the Sox should ignore their history just because some other team and it's marketing machine hijacked the letter of the alphabet that the name of the city begins with. Just wear a freakin current sox hat or something suitable w/ the 1906 jersey and the mystery is no longer.

Blob
05-04-2006, 12:24 PM
I believe, in the past, they did not wear them on each Sunday until they played the throwback game. After that, they wore them each week.

lumpyspun
05-04-2006, 12:33 PM
I think it's funny that people think that the main reason they wear these uniforms is to "honor" the history. It's mostly about money. People go on the mlb.com website and buy these things, that is why they have all these alternate jerseys. That is also the reason we have a black jersey and the reason Houston has 9 different jerseys.

C-Dawg
05-04-2006, 01:04 PM
I believe, in the past, they did not wear them on each Sunday until they played the throwback game. After that, they wore them each week.

I wonder why the '59 jerseys were a one-time-only thing last year? They certainly were better looking than these 1906 things in my opinion.

I'd still like to see the red pinstripes jersey make an appearance for throwbacks some time soon. Surely I'm not the only one who likes them.

ewokpelts
05-04-2006, 01:10 PM
I proposed an idea to the sox about "throwback thursdays".
wear a different throwback each thursday.

And you can tie that into the dollar dog day.

Gene

Baby Fisk
05-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Gene
That would be a great idea. Did Brooks respond? Lord knows the Sox have enough historic uniforms to fill a season of Thursdays. It might be cost-prohibitive having to produce all those uniforms, tho. Perhaps limit it to the first Thursday home game each month?

Brian26
05-04-2006, 01:24 PM

Agreed 100%. Those jerseys are just completely ugly and bland. The 1917 jerseys they wore in 2001 had a certain coolness about them because they were unique and easy to recognize. These 1906 jerseys are awful.

RKMeibalane
05-04-2006, 01:26 PM

Don't worry, Hangar. We'll be sure to have your throwback tin-foil hat ready for the Cubs series.

Baby Fisk
05-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Don't worry, Hangar. We'll be sure to have your throwback tin-foil hat ready for the Cubs series.
Would it be shaped like those old stovepipe hats, to be consistent with the throwback theme?

RKMeibalane
05-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Would it be shaped like those old stovepipe hats, to be consistent with the throwback theme?

Yes, it will. :cool:

roylestillman
05-04-2006, 01:46 PM
"The cream color is quite striking, but not in a bad way."

I think my late father has started spinning.

gowhitesox
05-04-2006, 03:06 PM
I never liked throw back uniforms. Stick with the regular uni's

Baby Fisk
05-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Can anyone help with this list?

Recent throwbacks worn by Sox

2005 - 1959 unies vs. LA Dodgers
2004 - negro league unies (can't remember opponent)
2003 - 1983 unies - wore them in September on 20th anniversary of 83 division win
2002 - ???
2001 - 1917 unies to celebrate AL's 100th anniversary

bigsoxfan420
05-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I will say that a lot of people are not going to recognize the jersey as a Sox jersey. The "C" in any form is not associated with the Sox. People accuse me of wearing a Cubs hat when I'm wearing the curly C hat from the 80's. If people don't know the Sox wore a C hat from the 80's then why would they know a C jersey from 100 years ago?

People are stupid. I've had people think the 1959 hat is a RED SOX hat. I guess because the stiching is in red.

Baby Fisk
05-04-2006, 03:21 PM
People are stupid. I've had people think the 1959 hat is a RED SOX hat. I guess because the stiching is in red.
I was in a restaurant in Chicago, wearing the red 1971-75 Sox hat. The waitress looks at me and asks: "Are you visiting from Boston?" :angry:
I reacted kind of angrily, which I regretted later. She got a very guilt-heavy tip. :redface:

sullythered
05-04-2006, 05:05 PM
I think it's cool for us, the fans, to have all the old school jerseys to buy, but I like when the team just sticks with the unis that they have now. Best in the game.

Max Power
05-04-2006, 05:10 PM

I had actually typed "people are stupid," at the end of my sentence but I decided not to include it. So yes, I completely agree.

chisoxfan64
05-04-2006, 05:13 PM
So when we wear these uniforms, Cub fans are gonna be goin around saying.
"Hey, did you see the game today? The old time Cubs beat the modern day Cubs".

ewokpelts
05-04-2006, 06:57 PM
That would be a great idea. Did Brooks respond? Lord knows the Sox have enough historic uniforms to fill a season of Thursdays. It might be cost-prohibitive having to produce all those uniforms, tho. Perhaps limit it to the first Thursday home game each month?
There were other ideas he responded to. But he didnt respond to that one.

Based on 2006's sked, there are 10 dates that fall on thursdays.

Not a lot of games wher eyou "need' extra uni sets, but I'm sure majestic wouldnt mind selling 10 more jersey types at www.whitesox.com (http://www.whitesox.com)

Gene

ewokpelts
05-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Can anyone help with this list?

Recent throwbacks worn by Sox

2005 - 1959 unies vs. LA Dodgers
2004 - negro league unies (can't remember opponent)

2003 - 1950's road uniforms (vs the jndians on all star sunday)
2003 - 1983 unies - wore them in September on 20th anniversary of 83 division win
2002 - ???
2001 - 1917 unies to celebrate AL's 100th anniversary

Gene

NonetheLoaiza
05-04-2006, 07:47 PM

I think that the current uniforms are one of the best in the the league. I hope, and think, they will keep it this way for a long long time.

chisoxmike
05-05-2006, 12:25 AM

Gene

Thats something when you are a last place team in the middle of a rebuilding project to get fans to come to the park...not for a 1st place team looking to repeat as world series champions...but thats just one man's opinion.

Walker29
05-05-2006, 12:36 PM
I think that's why we haven't seen them. The Sox don't mess with a streak. If we lose on Saturday night than I bet we will see the "Sunday 1906's" on Sunday 5/7.

Chip Z'nuff
05-05-2006, 12:45 PM
When are the sox going to break out the 2005 throwback jerseys?

IJay22
05-05-2006, 01:34 PM

I thought about that too. Have a throwback night/turnback the clock night once a month. I wanna see the 59' jerseys and the red 70's jerseys. Those are the coolest ones. I even like the ones from 89'. The greatest jersey ever made are the ones the Sox wear now.

IJay22
05-05-2006, 01:48 PM
I was in a restaurant in Chicago, wearing the red 1971-75 Sox hat. The waitress looks at me and asks: "Are you visiting from Boston?" :angry:
I reacted kind of angrily, which I regretted later. She got a very guilt-heavy tip. :redface:

I was wearing a 89' sox hat, the one with the C on it, and a lady(way older than me) asked me was it a cubs hat :angry: . I was like NO!!!, this is the hat they wore before the current ones, and she looked all puzzled and said oh I didn't know know that. She said she was a Sox fan lol.

NardiWasHere
05-05-2006, 02:18 PM
The bears need a different logo. People might get it confused with the Cincy Reds

Throwbacks are fun once in a while... even when they are ugly

miker
05-05-2006, 03:16 PM
The bears need a different logo. People might get it confused with the Cincy Reds
Or the University of Chicago...

Throwbacks are fun once in a while... even when they are ugly
I agree. Now that they have done 1959, my only other throwback requests are the red pinstripes and the 1977 pullovers. They can keep the shorts...

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Where EXACTLY did this urban legend get started about wearing those hideous 1906 uniforms every Sunday? I've heard this bull**** story repeated here over and over again. How about a link to a credible source?

The ONLY time the White Sox wore a throwback uniform every Sunday was back in 2001 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the American League and the charter franchise status of the ballclub. As I recall the ballplayers hated the uniforms and were glad to see them go when the season finally ended.

I seriously doubt anyone in the White Sox front office would be stupid enough to repeat this mistake just five years later.

MrRoboto83
05-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Where EXACTLY did this urban legend get started about wearing those hideous 1906 uniforms every Sunday? I've heard this bull**** story repeated here over and over again. How about a link to a credible source?

The ONLY time the White Sox wore a throwback uniform every Sunday was back in 2001 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the American League and the charter franchise status of the ballclub. As I recall the ballplayers hated the uniforms and were glad to see them go when the season finally ended.

I seriously doubt anyone in the White Sox front office would be stupid enough to repeat this mistake just five years later.

So no chance of wearing those shorts they wore in 1976 for one game?

Dancin' Homer
05-05-2006, 10:54 PM
I always thought the 1935 logo looked pretty cool. It would be nice to celebrate the 71st anniversary of that logo once.

How sad is it that I used windows calculator to figure out the anniversary.