PDA

View Full Version : Borchard to the Marlins

NDSox12
05-03-2006, 08:27 PM
According to the Mariners radio broadcasters, Joe Borchard was claimed off the Mariners' waivers by the Marlins today. Good luck to Joe down there. I would imagine he will get a chance to play for them.

Kuzman
05-03-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm listening to the Mariners on the MLB Audio Gameday and the announcers are reporting that Borchard was claimed by the Florida Marlins off of waivers.

NDSox12
05-03-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm listening to the Mariners on the MLB Audio Gameday and the announcers are reporting that Borchard was claimed by the Florida Marlins off of waivers.
Hehe... I'll go ahead and delete my post since we obviously heard the exact same thing at the same time.

EDIT: Or not... damn those mods are fast!

Kuzman
05-03-2006, 08:29 PM
haha looks like it doesn't matter. Wonder how many seconds difference it was between posts.

goofymsfan
05-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Sad thing is, all this was posted earlier in the other Joe Borchard Thread.

NDSox12
05-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Sad thing is, all this was posted earlier in the other Joe Borchard Thread.

Yeah, I'm officially blind. I didn't find it at first glance.

He gone
05-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Good for Joe. He really didn't get much of a chance with Seattle.

ondafarm
05-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Good for Joe, hope he gets some regular playing time and becomes a regular Cub-killer.

getonbckthr
05-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Sad thing his bonus would qualify as 2nd highest on their payroll I believe. Now whats sadder the Marlins payroll or that we gave him that much?

Banix12
05-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Sad thing his bonus would qualify as 2nd highest on their payroll I believe. Now whats sadder the Marlins payroll or that we gave him that much?

The marlins payroll is much, much sadder. I think by revenue sharing alone their payroll should be higher. Borchard never lived up to the potential but the potential was there which made him a promising draft pick in a lot of team's eyes, not just the sox. Because of that albatross that was his football career the sox had to overpay.

I understand why they drafted him and I don't fault the pick. It's just disapointing that it ended up this way.

The Dude
05-04-2006, 01:27 AM
According to the Mariners radio broadcasters, Joe Borchard was claimed off the Mariners' waivers by the Marlins today. Good luck to Joe down there. I would imagine he will get a chance to play for them.

Good for Joe, let LTP shine down there in that new prospect pit known as the Flordia Marlins. good luck!

Garland_IS_God
05-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Didnt see it posted yet but I just seen in the Sun-Times that the Marlins picked up Joe Borchard. I wish him all the best of luck.

Tekijawa
05-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Glad to see it I always thought Joe would fit in nicely on and AAAA team! I'm sure he'll do well!

doublem23
05-04-2006, 04:26 PM
The Marlins? Ouch. Should have signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. :o:

ilsox7
05-04-2006, 05:20 PM
So KW turns yet another player who nobody wants into a serviceable (and possibly more) major leaguer. It sure does feel good to have a GM who can apparently do no wrong lately.

Chips
05-04-2006, 06:28 PM
Maybe the Bears can bring him to camp to compete with Griese and Grossman

dickallen15
05-04-2006, 06:35 PM
The marlins payroll is much, much sadder. I think by revenue sharing alone their payroll should be higher. Borchard never lived up to the potential but the potential was there which made him a promising draft pick in a lot of team's eyes, not just the sox. Because of that albatross that was his football career the sox had to overpay.

I understand why they drafted him and I don't fault the pick. It's just disapointing that it ended up this way.

I read an article somewhere where the Marlins will get approximately $60 million in revenue sharing and luxury tax this year, and their payroll is $15 million.

He gone
05-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Joe went 3-5 in his 1st game for the Marlins :bandance:

Banix12
05-04-2006, 09:51 PM
I read an article somewhere where the Marlins will get approximately $60 million in revenue sharing and luxury tax this year, and their payroll is $15 million.

I knew there was a disparity but I didn't realize it was that huge. That's absolutely pathetic what the marlins are doing.

Nice to see he had a good game tonight. Gotta keep it up.

Steelrod
05-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Finally we find out his problem.
He's a National LEaguer who was trapped in the American League!
Good Luck Joe.

Scottiehaswheels
05-05-2006, 07:09 AM
:D: HA this is funny... on MLB 2k6 for XBox I tried to trade him to Seattle for Thorton but couldn't... anyways I put him in as a late inning replacement for Anderson when I was up like 20-0.... He comes up to the plate and honest to god one of the cracks the "fans" in the game makes was something about his football career... He grounded out for me and the fan says something like "Should have done pro football Joe!" I didn't like some of the other "fan" comments... One I heard whilst playing the Scrubs at the Urinal was something about mullets, and another crack is about Dye's knee... those aren't so good

soxinem1
05-05-2006, 07:41 AM
The Marlins? Ouch. Should have signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. :o:

Joe's been with three teams in less than two months. I would say he loves baseball or he'd have bailed out by now, if he did have the opportunity to play in the CFL.

DrCrawdad
05-05-2006, 09:34 AM
May 22-24 the Cubs play the Marlins in Florida, immediately following the Cubs-Sox series at The Cell.

GO-JOE-GO!

Mr. White Sox
05-05-2006, 12:55 PM
:D: HA this is funny... on MLB 2k6 for XBox I tried to trade him to Seattle for Thorton but couldn't... anyways I put him in as a late inning replacement for Anderson when I was up like 20-0.... He comes up to the plate and honest to god one of the cracks the "fans" in the game makes was something about his football career... He grounded out for me and the fan says something like "Should have done pro football Joe!" I didn't like some of the other "fan" comments... One I heard whilst playing the Scrubs at the Urinal was something about mullets, and another crack is about Dye's knee... those aren't so good

:?:you're kidding, right?

Banix12
05-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Joe's been with three teams in less than two months. I would say he loves baseball or he'd have bailed out by now, if he did have the opportunity to play in the CFL.

I think the important thing to Joe was that he was in the majors. He could play on all the teams in two months and he would be fine as long as he stayed in the majors. I think he feels he hasn't gotten a chance to succeed in baseball so he's just been sticking around to get his chance. Now he has it. He'll still be able to go to the CFL if he wants to, that door hasn't closed.

This Marlins situation is probably his last opprotunity to plant a foothold in the major leagues. If he succeeds he has a career in major league baseball, at least as a 4th OF. If he continues to be a .200 hitter then I think he retires and goes to play football. I don't think he sticks around if he has to go back to the minors for a long period of time.