PDA

View Full Version : Sox Farms So Far Away

woodsdavid
05-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I'm looking at the posting for the Knights coming to Indy (3 hrs away) and Louisville (6 hrs away) for away games and I wonder, why can Seattle have a minor league team in Tacoma and Boston have theirs in Pawtucket, St. Louis in Louisville, etc. while ours is 10+ hours away by car?
Years ago, the Iowa Oaks were our AAA team. More recently, I used to go to South Bend (Kovielski Field) to see our A team play there.
Has anyone in Sox marketing etc. thought about this?
Has this ever been discussed?

ondafarm
05-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Major league teams either cluster their farm teams (all of the BoSox farm teams are in Mass.) or they spread them out. Since most of the minor leagues aren't really that close to Illinois, I don't think it's practical for the White Sox. As a former resident of North Carolina, I can tell you it was great to see everybody above Great Falls.

If you think the Sox have it bad, the Pirates used to have their AAA affiliate in Honolulu. You had a lot of guys who got the call and would respond with, "You know . . . I'm really just too mediocre to play in the show. . . I think I need to stay here and work on my hitting the change-up. . . Why don't you call me up for September?"

maurice
05-03-2006, 07:33 PM
FWIW, if you can get to Indy in 3 hours, you can get to Louisville in less than 5 hours. The Knights also play in Toledo (less than 4 hours) and Columbus (about 4 hours). Kannapolis plays in Lexington, KY (5+ hours) and Lake County, OH (5+ hours). IIRC, everything else (Buffalo, NY; Jackson, TN; Charleston, WV; etc.) is more than 6 hours away from Chicago by car.

He gone
05-03-2006, 08:01 PM
St. Louis in Louisville,

Cincinnati is in Louisville and St.Louis is in Memphis. If you want to see one of the Sox farm teams, plan an over-nighter. I'm a little closer (2 hours to Indy, 2 1/2 hours from Toledo). I've also seen the Barrons play in Jackson, Tn (my parents live 40 minutes from there :redneck ). One day I would love to see the Castle in Charlotte.

CleeFan101
05-04-2006, 03:40 AM
The Oakland Athletics have a minor league team really close by.... I think its either a low A or high A team. It would have been really cool if it was a whitesox affiliate instead of Oakland. Hey maybe they can take over flyers althought right now they play in an independent league so...

TheKittle
05-04-2006, 03:57 AM
I'm looking at the posting for the Knights coming to Indy (3 hrs away) and Louisville (6 hrs away) for away games and I wonder, why can Seattle have a minor league team in Tacoma and Boston have theirs in Pawtucket, St. Louis in Louisville, etc. while ours is 10+ hours away by car?
Years ago, the Iowa Oaks were our AAA team. More recently, I used to go to South Bend (Kovielski Field) to see our A team play there.
Has anyone in Sox marketing etc. thought about this?
Has this ever been discussed?

Teams try to keep teams close together. So the White Sox have teams within a few hours of AAA Charlotte.

A Winston Salem NC.
A Kannapolis NC

AA Birmingham isn't that far from NC.

So a scouting director or instructor can go to all four teams without going too far out of his way.

The Dodgers have AAA in Vegas but

AA is in Jacksonville Fl.
A is Vero Beach Fl.
A is Columbus GA.

Tragg
05-04-2006, 09:17 AM
The good news is that they play in the International League, which has a lot of teams fairly clustered together. It's also an eastern time zone league.

They used to have the farm team in the American Association (they went through a few venues; I remember nashville coming down to N.O. all the time...that was fun), which was clustered in the midwest and central time zone. But when they merged with the PCL, the Sox moved over and went into the more compact league.

woodsdavid
05-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Cincinnati is in Louisville and St.Louis is in Memphis. If you want to see one of the Sox farm teams, plan an over-nighter. I'm a little closer (2 hours to Indy, 2 1/2 hours from Toledo). I've also seen the Barrons play in Jackson, Tn (my parents live 40 minutes from there :redneck ). One day I would love to see the Castle in Charlotte.

thx for heads-up. yes, it's been a few years since the redbirds were in louisville.

MisterB
05-04-2006, 12:59 PM
If you think the Sox have it bad, the Pirates used to have their AAA affiliate in Honolulu. You had a lot of guys who got the call and would respond with, "You know . . . I'm really just too mediocre to play in the show. . . I think I need to stay here and work on my hitting the change-up. . . Why don't you call me up for September?"

The Hawaii Islanders were also the Sox AAA affiliate in '68 and in '87.

ViPeRx007
05-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm only a couple hours from Great Falls, MT as long as we're discussing distances to the Sox minor league teams. Sure, it's rookie league and not even A ball, but when it's all we've got around here it's always a good time. I still usually try to check out the games when the local Billings Mustangs (Reds Affiliate) play the Great Falls White Sox.

churlish
05-04-2006, 03:58 PM
The Oakland Athletics have a minor league team really close by.... I think its either a low A or high A team. It would have been really cool if it was a whitesox affiliate instead of Oakland. Hey maybe they can take over flyers althought right now they play in an independent league so...

The Kane County Cougars are A ball and are affiliated with the A's. They used to be affiliated with the Marlins and Dontrelle Willis pitched there a few years ago.

MinnieMinoso
05-04-2006, 06:08 PM
I live up here in Kenosha County and I was talking just the other day to another fan about the Sox putting a minor league team up here. The Twins had a team here, but they left and the stadium is empty. This is a short ride up the tollway, and if it was promoted, I think it would be a success.

Randar68
05-04-2006, 06:15 PM
I live up here in Kenosha County and I was talking just the other day to another fan about the Sox putting a minor league team up here. The Twins had a team here, but they left and the stadium is empty. This is a short ride up the tollway, and if it was promoted, I think it would be a success.

Being a success (economically) as a minor league organization is of only minor concern to any major league team.

The major league teams do not own the minor league teams and the teams are left to promote/operate themselves as they see fit with the exception of player allocation (except for having a say in some minor league vet signings on occassion).

The Sox save a ton of time and money by having their teams clustered in the N.C. area and having 3 primary levels within an 1:30 to 2:00 drive of eachother is pretty darn key in terms of scouting, player development, and cost-effectiveness of operating a large-scale scouting and coaching organization.

NonetheLoaiza
05-04-2006, 07:31 PM
The Kane County Cougars are A ball and are affiliated with the A's. They used to be affiliated with the Marlins and Dontrelle Willis pitched there a few years ago.

Yes sir. They are the low A affiliate, and there have been many a great players that played there such as the aforementioned Willis, Josh Beckett, Miguel Cabrera, Huston Street, Joe Blanton, and someone that everyone might be familiar with...Scotty Pods.

StillMissOzzie
05-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Yes sir. They are the low A affiliate, and there have been many a great players that played there such as the aforementioned Willis, Josh Beckett, Miguel Cabrera, Huston Street, Joe Blanton, and someone that everyone might be familiar with...Scotty Pods.

...and Ross Gload. A few more: Charles Johnson, Hector Camacho, Randy Winn. And before they were affiliated with the Marlins, the Kane County Cougars started out at the A level team for the Orioles.

A few years ago now, the Sox had a team in the Midwest League (the same league as the Cougars), the Burlington Bees. IIRC, they won it all maybe 5-6 years ago now.

SMO
:gulp:

Railsplitter
05-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I'd like to see the Sox get an affiliate in the Midwest League. Rockford would be good, and Kane County would be better. (Hey, the Mets have an affiliate in Brooklyn and the Ynakkes have on on Staten Island)

woodsdavid
05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
may be true that revenue from farms are negligible, it just seems that from a marketing standpoint, few fans from the carolinas will ever generate loyalty (revenue) short- or long-term

buy tix at us cell,
contribute to ratings,
buy white sox sportswear, etc.
become sox fans
people (especially kids & families who populate these games) from these markets like peoria, iowa, kane county, quad-cities, or anywhere in IL, IN, WI, IA, MO, KY, etc., just might become life-long fans.

woodsdavid
05-08-2006, 01:21 PM

same thing in Madison: i remember the Madison Muskies (A's) playing there. is there still a stadium? short drive. great city.

CleeFan101
05-09-2006, 02:53 AM
I really wish the Whitesox would try and get at least one minor league team close by. That would be sweet to go and see our prospects play b4 they ever reach the majors. Even if its a low A or high A team. The Cubs have a team in Iowa which has actually made a lot of people Cubs fans and have made it a pretty popular team.

ondafarm
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Actually Charlotte is a respectable sized city. I'm really surprised that the White Sox don't have a broadcast outlet there. As in, show all the games of the parent club and advertise that you can see the stars of tomorrow today locally. I would think that would help the attendance/ revenue.

Randar68
05-09-2006, 11:27 AM
I really wish the Whitesox would try and get at least one minor league team close by. That would be sweet to go and see our prospects play b4 they ever reach the majors. Even if its a low A or high A team. The Cubs have a team in Iowa which has actually made a lot of people Cubs fans and have made it a pretty popular team.

For the 37th time, it makes absolutely ZERO sense from a financial or organizational perspective...

soxfanatlanta
05-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Actually Charlotte is a respectable sized city. I'm really surprised that the White Sox don't have a broadcast outlet there. As in, show all the games of the parent club and advertise that you can see the stars of tomorrow today locally. I would think that would help the attendance/ revenue.

Does any minor league club do this?

maurice
05-09-2006, 12:40 PM
For the 37th time, it makes absolutely ZERO sense from a financial or organizational perspective...

And, for the 17th time in this thread alone, anybody in Chicago who wants to see the Sox AAA prospects can drive to Indy in 3 hours twice a year. Not much difference between that and driving to Iowa to see Cubs "prospects."

CleeFan101
05-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Ok? Does that change the fact it would be nice if there was one close by. Im not expecting it but it would be nice.

He gone
05-09-2006, 05:45 PM
It would be nice if there was a "Hooters" behind my house :redneck.

If you want to see one of the farm teams, like Maurice said, you have to plan a road trip or pay for that MILB broadcast.

Tragg
05-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Just leave the Barons alone. They're in a great spot.

Mobile is less than 2 hours from N.O., and I'll be there later this month.

Jackson's only 2.5 hours away as well, but I prefer mobile.

Mohoney
05-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Don't the White Sox have a medical facility in the NC area, too?

firejauron
05-12-2006, 02:44 PM
It would be great if the Sox would purchase the Gary Railcats. Railcat Stadium is one of the better minor league facilities in the country. It's also a quick jump off the expressway.

maurice
05-12-2006, 02:55 PM
It would be great if the Sox would purchase the Gary Railcats.

Two problems with this:
1- The Sox don't own their minor-league teams
2 - Gary's league is not affiliated with MLB